Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

fronkpies posted:

Alot of interesting stuff happens around drugs.

I've got nothing against them personally, but it wouldn't help me out at all when it comes to getting a real job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

rockcity posted:

Most of my shots are taken with my Sigma 20mm f1.8 or my Canon 50mm f1.8. I have a Sigma 24-60 f2.8, but I usually only use it when the lighting is really good. I prefer shooting primes whenever I can really, but that goes for all shooting, not just concerts.

The Sigma 30 f1.4 is definitely on my radar. I've rented the 35L and it's possibly my favorite lens that I've ever used.

You just had to make the decision that much harder, didn't you?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AtomicManiac posted:

You just had to make the decision that much harder, didn't you?

What can I say, I'm partial to primes. I just think they're sharper much more of the time than zooms and in low light situations (concerts) they're awesome. I only use my 24-60 when I'm outside or the lighting is REALLY good. I use my 70-200 here and there when I want drummer shots, but it's an f4 so I mostly only use it at festival shows. I love my Sigma 20mm, but for some reason the price went up on it like a year or two ago. I think I paid $330 for mine and the same site I bought it from sells it for $519 now. I have no idea why. It's easily my most used concert lens though.

Damnit now you have me contemplating buying the sigma 30mm f1.4 before the wedding I have to shoot in a couple of weeks.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

rockcity posted:

What can I say, I'm partial to primes. I just think they're sharper much more of the time than zooms and in low light situations (concerts) they're awesome. I only use my 24-60 when I'm outside or the lighting is REALLY good. I use my 70-200 here and there when I want drummer shots, but it's an f4 so I mostly only use it at festival shows. I love my Sigma 20mm, but for some reason the price went up on it like a year or two ago. I think I paid $330 for mine and the same site I bought it from sells it for $519 now. I have no idea why. It's easily my most used concert lens though.

Damnit now you have me contemplating buying the sigma 30mm f1.4 before the wedding I have to shoot in a couple of weeks.

Well the 20mm is still 450 on Amazon, which $330 would be killer and probably seal the deal right there, but $450 is about what the Tamron is, and the 10-20s I was looking at were $600+. I think I'll end up with the 20mm. The only thing I want to make sure on is, does the 20mm have vignetting on a full-frame? Supposedly the 30mm 1.4 does, though I'm only upgrading to a 7D and I don't really see myself going better than that unless I can get a ton of photo work.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
My kit right now is:

Canon 7D
Tokina 11-16 f/2.8
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
Sigma 30mm f/1.4
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM

For most concerts I bring the Tamron and the Sigma. If I KNOW that I'm going to be able to shoot from far away, I'll bring the 70-200. The Tokina is comically much too wide to get any sort of reasonable shots. Sure, you might get something, but to use it as a main lens at a show is ridiculous. Maybe if you do those in your face metal shows where you're being bludgeoned with broken beer bottles and you can put the camera in between the drummers symbals or something, then it might be okay. But if you're in the photo pit, no, I don't think that'd be useful except for a couple shots at most.

edit: I also borrow my roommates Canon 24-70 f/2.8L if I need it.

milquetoast child fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 2, 2010

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

rockcity posted:

Ugh, how far I've come where I look at that and go "you know $439 is cheap for a lens that fast".

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

dunkman posted:

My kit right now is:

Canon 7D
Tokina 11-16 f/2.8
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
Sigma 30mm f/1.4

For most concerts I bring the Tamron and the Sigma. If I KNOW that I'm going to be able to shoot from far away, I'll bring the 70-200. The Tokina is comically much too wide to get any sort of reasonable shots. Sure, you might get something, but to use it as a main lens at a show is ridiculous. Maybe if you do those in your face metal shows where you're being bludgeoned with broken beer bottles and you can put the camera in between the drummers symbals or something, then it might be okay. But if you're in the photo pit, no, I don't think that'd be useful except for a couple shots at most.

Your gear list is almost exactly my dream list. And I do shoot a lot of "In your face metal shows" as well as plenty of floor shows and house-shows and I usually know at least some of the people in the bands, so I could get up the drums if I need to, depending on the venue.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

AtomicManiac posted:

Your gear list is almost exactly my dream list. And I do shoot a lot of "In your face metal shows" as well as plenty of floor shows and house-shows and I usually know at least some of the people in the bands, so I could get up the drums if I need to, depending on the venue.

If you can get, and I'm not kidding here, 2 feet away from your subject, then yeah, it'll be fantastic. The MFD is like 11 inches or something insane.

Anyways, I'm going to sell mine at the end of October/Early November after Hawaii. I don't really like it.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
goddamn I love the 70-200 2.8 IS/II

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Dunkman, how much are you looking to get out of the lens?

At any rate, here's a few shots from Suffokate earlier this week. I woulda used these for SoundSurveillence, but half the band was stand-ins and I didn't want to feature a band that was probably going to have a completely different line-up next time.

Superior

Superior (9-1-10) by Ben Semisch, on Flickr

This shot is why I want a super wide angle.

Suffokate:

Suffokate (9-1-10) by Ben Semisch, on Flickr

Suffokate (9-1-10) by Ben Semisch, on Flickr

Here's a shot of their singer being tackled off stage. I have it set up in a 3 panel shot on SoundSurveillance.com

The Red Shore

(This one is on SS, but it's my favorite from that set).

AtomicManiac fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 5, 2010

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I was all set to shoot what would surely be the social event of the season last night, a HUGE basement show with lots of bands. Then Friday afternoon I get stuck with three 12 hour shifts at work this weekend.

:smith:

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Shot the Fun Lovin' Criminals last night. Didn't go well.

lovely red lights, hardly any lights on the other 2 people (so it's very Huey-heavy), and I wasn't feeling well so I wasn't on top of my game with the settings etc.

It also doesn't help that I suck at post processing, so some help with these shots would be appreciated. Tell me what I should be doing to them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elmarko/sets/72157624890212684/

Shot with a Canon 400D, Canon 50mm Prime 1.8, and a 17-70mm Sigma (not the constant 2.8, sadly)

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Ok, after nearly a week I got my desktop working again so I could get to my photos. Ozzfest and Warped Tour should be up either tonight or tomorrow.

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

Another disgruntled Canon 400D shooter here. This makes me wish I had ordered the 5D mkII a week earlier. Nonetheless it was a challenge shooting with a 50mm f/1.8. I could have used a touch of flash without nuking the stage lighting but it was a toned down night and I didn't want to disrupt the band or the audience.

Tincans fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 27, 2012

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Tincans posted:

Another disgruntled Canon 400D shooter here. This makes me wish I had ordered the 5D mkII a week earlier.

What particular problems were you having? I shot with a 400D for a while before upgrading to a 40D.

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

HPL posted:

What particular problems were you having? I shot with a 400D for a while before upgrading to a 40D.

It wasn't any particular problem. It's more feeling that the hardware is holding me back and I'll benefit from the advantages of going full-frame.

Also

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Tincans posted:

It wasn't any particular problem. It's more feeling that the hardware is holding me back and I'll benefit from the advantages of going full-frame.

How do you feel that going full-frame will benefit you? You seem to be having composition trouble more than anything else.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

HPL posted:

How do you feel that going full-frame will benefit you? You seem to be having composition trouble more than anything else.

yeah, full frame isn't really going to change anything huge for you here.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

HPL posted:

Agreed, I shot with the 350D for 3 years. My only lenses were a 50mm f/1.8 and a 28-75 f/2.8

Work on your composition a bit dude.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I agree with the composition comments. Try isolating people and showing their entire instrument, for some reason chopping off the neck of a guitar always looks off to me, same with chopping off the tops of peoples heads. The head-chop can work okay in portraits to get in close on the face, but it looks careless on concert shots.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Yeah definitely composition is the issue there.

I think I have good composition, I am just technically not great.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24715866@N02/sets/

That's all my work over the past few years and things vary from great to poo poo depending on conditions in the venue. I know we all have our bad days and good days, and that we all have to work with changing venue conditions but I find more often than not I get so nervous waiting for the band to come on that I end up just making GBS threads myself about it. And then I get home, realise I've chucked away all but 7 shots from a 200 photo shoot and I just want to cry.

What a learning curve, eh?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

thehustler posted:

Yeah definitely composition is the issue there.

I think I have good composition, I am just technically not great.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24715866@N02/sets/

That's all my work over the past few years and things vary from great to poo poo depending on conditions in the venue. I know we all have our bad days and good days, and that we all have to work with changing venue conditions but I find more often than not I get so nervous waiting for the band to come on that I end up just making GBS threads myself about it. And then I get home, realise I've chucked away all but 7 shots from a 200 photo shoot and I just want to cry.

What a learning curve, eh?

composition looks pretty solid on a lot of these, I could see where you'd be at a spot where equipment is actually starting to limit you, the noise from some of these low-light venues is pretty pronounced even when you've got the composition and focus nailed.

I see you shot Ash recently, how's the new material live? those guys are friends of mine from years back but they haven't toured the US in a while unfortunately.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
thehustler, what are you using for post-processing? Software noise reduction has come a long, long way in the last year or two.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I'm using Aperture, and yeah definitely the equipment is holding me back. I need some better lenses. I did have a Sigma constant f2.8 24-70mm but I lost it/had it stolen at a venue once and haven't replaced it due to cost.

So I have the 17-70 non-constant aperture, and that's really quite limiting.

Ash's new stuff is pretty good, they're using somebody from Bloc Party to fill in for Charlotte's parts. Also their sound engineer was very cute and had big boobies :3

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Fast glass is definitely the name of the game in terms of equipment. I'd much sooner spend money on good prime lenses than buy a 5Dm2 if you're looking to do a lot of concerts. I'd shoot primes all the time if I had enough of them. I really want a 30mm and an 85mm. Depending on how well a meeting goes on Friday that will determine me getting a hefty commission on something, I'll probably snag the Sigma 30mm. I could use it for a wedding next weekend.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Hey west coasters, The BellRays are on tour right now. If they're coming to your town, definitely check them out even if it's not in a photographic capacity. Saw them last night. It's not a great show in a Flaming Lips grand spectacle sense, but just a solid punk soul show and you'll burn up memory cards photographing the lead singer.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Here's some house show pictures that didn't make the SS post.

The Legacy Virus by Ben Semisch, on Flickr

Zane by Ben Semisch, on Flickr

Superior by Ben Semisch, on Flickr

Superior by Ben Semisch, on Flickr

Also, I installed Google Analytics one week ago today. Here's our first break down if you're curious:

Top Pages

1. The Red Shore @ Sokol Underground – SoundSurveillance - 70 Views
2. Superior @ Superior House – SoundSurveillance - 24 Views
3. The Word Alive – Deceiver – SoundSurveillance - 20 Views
4. The Depreciation Guild @ Nation of Shopkeepers – SoundSurveillance - 15 Views
5. The SS Crew. – SoundSurveillance - 14 Views

Top referrers:

1. google.com - 97 Visits
2. facebook.com - 70 Visits
3. google.ca - 10 Visits
4. images.google.com - 4 Visits
5. twitter.com - 4 Visits

Top Searches

1. soundsurveillance.com - 4 Visits
2. the depreciation guild - 1 Visits

I figure I'll post some stat updates monthly (Unless people prefer weekly). I also have someone working on a logo, and after that I'm gonna start pimping the site out.

AtomicManiac fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Sep 9, 2010

shykid10
May 4, 2009

AtomicManiac posted:

Also, I installed Google Analytics one week ago today. Here's our first break down if you're curious:

Top Pages

1. The Red Shore @ Sokol Underground – SoundSurveillance - 70 Views
2. Superior @ Superior House – SoundSurveillance - 24 Views
3. The Word Alive – Deceiver – SoundSurveillance - 20 Views
4. The Depreciation Guild @ Nation of Shopkeepers – SoundSurveillance - 15 Views
5. The SS Crew. – SoundSurveillance - 14 Views

Top referrers:

1. google.com - 97 Visits
2. facebook.com - 70 Visits
3. google.ca - 10 Visits
4. images.google.com - 4 Visits
5. twitter.com - 4 Visits

Top Searches

1. soundsurveillance.com - 4 Visits
2. the depreciation guild - 1 Visits

I figure I'll post some stat updates monthly (Unless people prefer weekly). I also have someone working on a logo, and after that I'm gonna start pimping the site out.

That's some steady looking progress.

Looking good!

shykid10 fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 9, 2010

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

dunkman posted:

My kit right now is:

Canon 7D
Tokina 11-16 f/2.8
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
Sigma 30mm f/1.4

edit: I also borrow my roommates Canon 24-70 f/2.8L if I need it.

Can I ask, how does the Tamron look on a full frame camera? As in how do the shots look compared to using it on, say a 40D (which would happen to be what I'm shooting with)?

Also, I've not been in this thread for about a month, but I am still interested in getting in on all this. I've been having a poo poo-ton of trouble getting commissioned for anything music based (either because nobody thinks they need it or they've already got people) but I have finally managed to get something at the Royal Albert Hall in November. It's not exactly metal, but might be a good one from "across the pond" here in London town to add a :britain: vibe to it all.

Renting some nice kit for the night to ensure the pics are as good as I can make them and then hoping to build on this once the shoot's done by using them as examples.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
The 7D isn't full frame.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Gazmachine posted:

Can I ask, how does the Tamron look on a full frame camera?
The image circle isn't big enough at 11-13mm. At 14-15mm there is a vignette. At 16mm there is no vignette and it looks great, and is slightly wider than 11mm on a crop.

Edit: misread this, I was taking about the Tokina 11-16mm.

Ric fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 9, 2010

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I've been holding off on promoting SS until it's a little more established.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

HPL posted:

I've been holding off on promoting SS until it's a little more established.

Same here, at least until we get a logo established so we can have something to throw in the corner of the photos and on the site banner.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Gazmachine posted:

Can I ask, how does the Tamron look on a full frame camera? As in how do the shots look compared to using it on, say a 40D (which would happen to be what I'm shooting with)?

Also, I've not been in this thread for about a month, but I am still interested in getting in on all this. I've been having a poo poo-ton of trouble getting commissioned for anything music based (either because nobody thinks they need it or they've already got people) but I have finally managed to get something at the Royal Albert Hall in November. It's not exactly metal, but might be a good one from "across the pond" here in London town to add a :britain: vibe to it all.

Renting some nice kit for the night to ensure the pics are as good as I can make them and then hoping to build on this once the shoot's done by using them as examples.

I've been looking at the Tamron, I found out there's 2 models of that lens, the DI-2 which goes for ~$450 and The other one that goes for $650. The difference is that the DI-2 is made for a crop-sensor body. (Edit: I was wrong on the rest, stupid Tamron propaganda videos)

As far as getting into it, Look up some local bands on facebook/myspace and go shoot them. Most bands don't really respond well to cold-calling, but local bands will be your best friend if you show up with a nice camera and shoot for free. Also, getting "Commissioned" to shoot concert pictures is pretty rare in my experience, most bands don't have the money for it and if they do they're probably looking for someone with lots of experience. If you're just starting, go to shows, make some friends and start shooting for free. If you're good people will notice and you'll start getting guest list spots. If you're great people will come to you for promo shoots. Past that you're going to have to work VERY hard to be noticed in the kind of capacity that would get you any form of payment that's anywhere near the amount of work that goes into it.

Other people's mileage may vary but when it comes to shooting music there's really only a handful of reasons:
1) It's decent networking and you can meet TONS of good looking girls that are usually willing to model.

2) You can get into shows for free, with bands I know real well I can usually get a date in for free too.

3) Sometimes you get free booze/weed

4) Helps you to book other shoots, especially promo shoots, but I've been offered weddings from musicians I've shot before.

5) You can get some really cool stories.

I mean don't get me wrong, I've been paid to shoot concerts before, but it's only ever like $20 and those shoots are few and far between. There's just so many aspiring amateur photogs out there that it's all too easy for a band to find someone to do it for free.

AtomicManiac fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Sep 10, 2010

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

hey, who put up the Bang Bang Boss Kelly stuff on the soundsurveillance website? Any which photog were you? I only recognised maybe half the people there that night.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Anmitzcuaca posted:

hey, who put up the Bang Bang Boss Kelly stuff on the soundsurveillance website? Any which photog were you? I only recognised maybe half the people there that night.

That was me, and I was the only one there with a white lens as far as I saw. Either you're Messer Beesley or Messer Ma, in which case hey man whats up its Andrew, or one of the Grimetone dudes?

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Yeah, one of the Grimetone dudes. We were checking out your white lens before the show started haha. There were like 3 other photogs there as well as the ones you mentioned. Good times were had. Have you shot them before?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Anmitzcuaca posted:

Yeah, one of the Grimetone dudes. We were checking out your white lens before the show started haha. There were like 3 other photogs there as well as the ones you mentioned. Good times were had. Have you shot them before?

Yeah, the packed show at Rics and once before that at the Powerhouse. Chris got pantless and shirtless at Rics once and oh god some of those photos.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Yeah that happens like every single time they play pretty much. Was the Rics one recently, when Chris broke his banjo first song, and was getting dangerously close to the lights on the ceiling with his mic stand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Anmitzcuaca posted:

Yeah that happens like every single time they play pretty much. Was the Rics one recently, when Chris broke his banjo first song, and was getting dangerously close to the lights on the ceiling with his mic stand?

Yep, the Dead Shades/BBBK dual headliner. Hell of a show, I rarely stay around for the whole sets but both those bands with the antics they pull ensure I have drinks and hence useless photos after the fifth song.