Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Substar
Jan 21, 2001

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

That white bowl under that big window, is that blood...? Some sort of sacrificial altar?

She says it's a bird bath. I'm guessing that's where they go to bathe in the blood of young virgin birds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Llyr posted:

Wow this thread is awesome!
Last month I finally went to the new Lego Store in Calgary, Alberta. I spent a good 45 minutes looking at everything. I was disappointed at the size of the Pick-A-Brick containers, I was hoping they would be bigger. I ended up buying two "3 builds in 1" race car sets. I also got an ice cube tray which is a bitch to fill.

How big are they? the nearest store is about 3 hours away, and if I'm in the area I want it to be worth my time.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Glass Joe posted:

How big are they? the nearest store is about 3 hours away, and if I'm in the area I want it to be worth my time.
Lego stores can be quite large, with the walls literally covered from floor to ceiling in Lego sets, with awesome little scenes all along the walls in little Lego stud-shaped enclosures, neat sales and deals, and if you're lucky, they'll have the Grab Bags for 6-10 dollars that have a wide variety of wonderful bits inside, sometimes incredibly rare ones. Back when those Spybotic vehicles came out and had many parts that you could only get in that color from that set(trans-dark yellow or trans-purple in particular), they had a few bags full of stuff like that, I bought a couple and was really lucky to get a turntable as well as a bunch of trans-purple bits.

The staff is almost always really nice.

Lego Stores rule.

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn
Just a heads up: TRU is having buy one get one half off until 9/11.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
I do not understand why the big ostrich-bot has boobs and glowing nipples, but the little duck-bot is smug as gently caress.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Man this thread is basically punching me in the face with nostalgia, I'm remembering all the sets I had when I was younger like the jungle temple thing that was basically Indiana Jones before they had the license. I had an awesome ghost train thing with a Baron/Ringleader dude and an Old West jail with an exploding wall. This is going to end with me going into the attic tonight and trying to make something.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Cross posting from the bug mega-thread.

I did a cage set-up of one of my spiders I thought you guys might appreciate:

ZarathustraFollower fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 6, 2010

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

Me? Morbid? Maybe......

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn
I was just stumbling and came across this: Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart" in LEGO. It's really well made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iZP_aNUOL8&feature=fvw

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Now that people are finding the Series 2 figs here and there, a friendly reminder of my earlier offer: I'll trade a complete set of Series 1 for your complete set of Series 2, in case you missed (or want another set of) the first!

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

afflictionwisp posted:

I do not understand why the big ostrich-bot has boobs and glowing nipples, but the little duck-bot is smug as gently caress.

I really loving love your creations. You don't by any chance actually work for LEGO do you?

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Just in case anyone out there was under the same impression I was, the Kingdoms advent calendar is not, in fact, UK exclusive. Or at least the online LEGO store doesn't indicate that it's not available in the US.

Really Big Shoe
Sep 11, 2001

HEY HOW DID THIS SHOE GET ON MY LAP ITS SO BIG OH GOD SEND HELP
Yeah, we sell both the City and Kingdoms Advents at my store. The Kingdoms actually has some really good pieces in it, too!

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

MrFrosty posted:

I really loving love your creations. You don't by any chance actually work for LEGO do you?

wasn't mine.

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

afflictionwisp posted:

wasn't mine.
Oh.

That duck really does own though.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Got my S2 minifigs today. Called the Puyallup TRU around lunch and she told me they still had 'a lot' left, but they were $2.99. I headed up there for an extended lunch break while debating with myself over buying a full box (like I did with S1). I didn't want to pay $180 with $60 of that being pure TRU markup. The debate was resolved when I saw 'em. Two open boxes, and the figs were a mess. Tried to use my phone to get to a barcode list, but doing it that way was just gonna suck.
Turns out there's an Android app that has all 32 minifigs and their various barcodes in it, and it supports barcode scanning. I spent nearly a half hour assembling two complete sets (not easy with the reflections and the seam interfered with easy scanning); took a good 60 figures before I found any weightlifters. Lots of cops, though.

So as of about 2pm today, the Puyallup TRU had ~80 minifigs left.

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009
For those UK lego fans out there - My local Entertainer got their delivery of S2 yesterday. They've numbered them all, so it's easy to pick out which ones you want. They don't, however, have the vampire or the witch. They do seem to be flying out pretty fast though. Going to head back today to try and grab a few more, before they run out!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Is there a barcode list for those of us who *don't* have an Android?

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

SubbyMinx posted:

For those UK lego fans out there - My local Entertainer got their delivery of S2 yesterday. They've numbered them all, so it's easy to pick out which ones you want.
Good for them. They were quite happy with S1 to help people find what they wanted - they had their own copy of the barcode list - so I guess this time they've decided to save the cashiers some effort.

The Vampire and Witch have supposedly been removed because The Entertainer's owner is quite religious and doesn't believe children should have certain things as toys. I wasn't in a rush for either of these figs, but it may prove to be a problem if they remove the rumoured Mummy from S3.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The witch, and maybe the vampire I can understand, but...the mummy? Really?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Red posted:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/savatheaggie/4903956694/

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

The witch, and maybe the vampire I can understand, but...the mummy? Really?

Yup, The Entertainer is kinda strange like that. As Dame Cook said, the owner is uber-Christian. They don't have any Harry Potter toys, or anything remotely witch-crafty or vampire like. They also don't open on Sundays, being the Lord's Day, and all that jazz.

Pretty sure that Argos have the minifigs, so we should be able to get the "offending" ones from there. Or TRU. Or possibly WHSmith (although I personally never saw S1 there). I might pop into Argos tomorrow, hopefully the box is on the counter and I can rifle through them, instead of being randomly picked from out the back, like most argos stock.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Red posted:

You are on the Internet. How hard is it to type "series two minifig barcode" into a search engine? Or even just go back a couple of pages in this very thread?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SubbyMinx posted:

Yup, The Entertainer is kinda strange like that. As Dame Cook said, the owner is uber-Christian. They don't have any Harry Potter toys, or anything remotely witch-crafty or vampire like. They also don't open on Sundays, being the Lord's Day, and all that jazz.
So do they just throw the bad ones out? Return them? What?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ted Stevens posted:

Just a heads up: TRU is having buy one get one half off until 9/11.

thanks. Just picked up Public Transport 8404 and 7939 Cargo Train.

e: I'm tempted to get a bunch of each. I think 2x8404 works out to $80 a set, and 2x7939 works out to $135 a set. I think I can probably make about $30 a set profit off bricklink.

Really Big Shoe
Sep 11, 2001

HEY HOW DID THIS SHOE GET ON MY LAP ITS SO BIG OH GOD SEND HELP
So MOST LEGO stores should be receiving a series 2 shipment the next two Mondays, and they'll be done. Not sure how many will be on each shipment though.

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

thanks. Just picked up Public Transport 8404 and 7939 Cargo Train.

e: I'm tempted to get a bunch of each. I think 2x8404 works out to $80 a set, and 2x7939 works out to $135 a set. I think I can probably make about $30 a set profit off bricklink.
Oh god, I so want that cargo train and the passenger train. But I don't want to spend $300 on LEGO in one sitting. That public transport is nice, but I wouldn't spend that much on it. I bought the TRU cargo truck and camper.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!
Man, I really want some of those parts in the minifig collections to make it to general production. I can't find the minifigs locally and I don't want to pay collectors' prices on Bricklink/Ebay.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Chris Knight posted:

You are on the Internet. How hard is it to type "series two minifig barcode" into a search engine? Or even just go back a couple of pages in this very thread?

Years of being corrected and admonished by goons has left me a broken shell of a man. I barely have the strength to bang my head against the wall in morse code to relay my thoughts to my caretaker, who types for me.

But, to be serious, there are lots of bar code cheat sheets available out there, and I'd prefer to use the goon recommended version. Happy?

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

So do they just throw the bad ones out? Return them? What?

They had an agreement with Lego. (I spoke to a manager about this). The full boxes went to The Entertainer warehouses, where employees sorted through the boxes and pulled out the vampires and witches. The half-empty boxes then got sent on to the stores, and the "offending" figs got sent back to Lego. I assume lego will just sell them off online or somesuch!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ted Stevens posted:

Oh god, I so want that cargo train and the passenger train. But I don't want to spend $300 on LEGO in one sitting. That public transport is nice, but I wouldn't spend that much on it. I bought the TRU cargo truck and camper.

I really like the bus from public transport, and having parted it out on bricklink, it comes out to something like $35 for the bus alone, so paying $50 for the set after half-off makes a lot of sense I would think.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

BrainWeasel posted:

Man, I really want some of those parts in the minifig collections to make it to general production. I can't find the minifigs locally and I don't want to pay collectors' prices on Bricklink/Ebay.

Whether or not it's really true, they have specifically stated that this probably won't happen. The minifigs are made at a separate facility from regular parts, as are the games, apparently. For the clubs placing orders through the LUGBulk program, we've been told we can't order Minifig or Games parts.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Brickset is saying Target stores have series 2 in their Halloween displays.

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

BrainWeasel posted:

As Shuppiluliumas says, Lego are adamant that they won't use any of the parts for regular sets. However, the parts which are similar to existing ones are all new moulds for the collectibles, so they might go the other way and produce regular moulds similar to some of the collectible parts.

Meanwhile, 'collector's prices' aren't too bad if you get in quick before anything actually becomes scarce. I got all the parts I wanted - the Pharoah's headdress and staff, two of the Judoka's trophies and the Explorer's torso - from someone on Bricklink who had obviously bought a box. Total price, £4, the equivalent of two complete figures. Not bad considering I'd have had to buy a minimum of three to get all the parts I wanted.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

BrainWeasel posted:

The collectible Minifigs are produced in China, in part because they have a lot of new molds and it's cheaper to set up new, limited use molds in the Chinese factories (which is why other stuff like PoP ostriches and Toy Story figs are produced in China, too). If LEGO wanted to start putting the new pieces from the collectible figs in other sets, they'd have to make molds for those parts. It's certainly possible, but I won't be surprised if it doesn't happen, and if it doesn't, they can say it's because they wanted to keep the Minifigs series more unique and collectible.

So, maybe, but don't hold your breath.

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn
Yeah, but only giving the LEGO stores, TRU, etc. one box every couple months sucks. I checked out the LEGO store in Tysons, and they said they'd have them in the afternoon Sept 1. When I went there at 1-2pm, they were already gone. Next shipment is sometime in October.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
I checked my local Target and while they barely had their Halloween section up, they did have tons of series 2 minifigs.
Not in display boxes, but two huge bins full.
I grabbed 7 at random and scored pretty well for not feeling.
I got the four that I really wanted, Judo guy, Surfer, Mime and Spartan, and got Disco Stu, Witch and Explorer as well.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
I will have to check out Target as my local TRU had no signs of Series 2 and the employees have no idea about when they are getting new Lego stuff in because apparently a Lego rep does the delivery and stocking of any new arrivals.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Went to my Toys'R'Us they had just put out a new box, had 2 older ones out too. The older ones had been picked clean of spartans, but I pulled 3 out of the new, and a pharaoh, mexican, and vampire. Gave 1 spartan to another collector who came a few minutes after me looking for a cop and spartan to complete a set.

Target had the box out for the figs, but didn't have them yet, they did have a pimp atlantis mini set of like a scuba mini camera thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Target Australia is having a 20% off Lego sale right now. Or at least the one in Melbourne is.

Picked myself up this handsome fella.