Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecheon
Nov 27, 2007

And that was when Ecco realised the world just fucking hates dolphins.

FateoMcSkippy posted:

They made a loving action figure of that guy. http://www.rebelscum.com/TLCBD53ICMG.asp

There was pretty much a campaign to get an action figure of that guy. I cannot fault it, as horrible an idea as it is

And, well, at least he sold better than ol' Sixtits here, who just about killed the line. Go look at your local store, I can assure you that, if you want a Yarna for some bizarre reason, you should be able to buy one, still

Now for some inane reason, a large group of them want to get a figure of Jocasta Nu. By which I mean she came second in a poll of Star Wars characters who should get a toy, first place being Bastila of KotOR fame. And it wasn't a large margin, even

Immediately, a whole bunch of nerds started whining about how it was obviously rigged and Jocasta should have won and EU fans are scum and :qq:.

I may hate Star Wars toy fans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
What KOTOR figures are available? I actually have the Revan Mighty Mugg, but I would totally nerd-buy some other KOTOR action dolls. poo poo, if I could get Canderous/Mandalore... :toot:

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
So apparently some chucklehead decided that good ol' Max Rebo was really named "Siiruulian Phantele" (get it? GET IT?).

Instead of rolling with the (admittedly lame) joke, some sperglord posted this in the "behind the scenes" section:

Wookieepedia Spergy McSperglord posted:

As Rebo resembles a Cerulean elephant, It is noteworthy that "Phantele" becomes "Elephant" when the syllables are swapped, and that "Siiruulian" resembles the word "Cerulean". However, no official source has confirmed that Who's Who author Rich Handley intended this parallel.

INTENDED this PARALLEL? You literal-minded fucksafklasrghaireglghjdfghdhgfdah

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 7, 2010

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Speaking of action figures, is it really possible to get every single guy from the cantina scene? I know what the answer probably is, but I think that bat dude and hammerhead man look pretty cool.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ladies and Gentlegoons, the forest moon of Endor as seen in Star Wars Galaxies.

To be fair here, there was an assload of forresty and fresh water lake stuff and some of the game actually took some visuals from those awful Ewok cartoons.

I'm more amused that Endor had tiny little snails on the grassy floors as I spent a lot of time on them as it was a pretty dangerous planet to explore.

I recall dragging a mate down there to see one of the Ewok villages and he for a joke decided to shoot one.

Cue fifty loving Ewoks jumping us and beating a grown man and Trandoshan to the ground using good old MMO aggro.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

SeanBeansShako posted:

To be fair here, there was an assload of forresty and fresh water lake stuff and some of the game actually took some visuals from those awful Ewok cartoons.

I'm more amused that Endor had tiny little snails on the grassy floors as I spent a lot of time on them as it was a pretty dangerous planet to explore.

I recall dragging a mate down there to see one of the Ewok villages and he for a joke decided to shoot one.

Cue fifty loving Ewoks jumping us and beating a grown man and Trandoshan to the ground using good old MMO aggro.

So how similar in play was Galaxies to WoW? I don't think I've ever seen a screenshot of a group of players working together to kill a boss or a group of enemies. Thus I only know that the game was "fun" but I can't get an idea about how combat worked, how classes fit into combat or even what the goals of the game were.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Doc Hawkins posted:

The Flashman novels are based on a character from someone else's book. Myths propogate and multiply, as people come up with new stories of what Coyote did, or Roland, or Rama, or whatever.

What I'm saying is, it's only "fanfic," the pejorative, when it's bad. Otherwise, it's a story. Either way, it's culture, and either way, it's something that would make you happy to write.

A Flashman-like character in the EU would be pretty funny if written well.

deathsuxdontdie
Apr 12, 2004

Excellent Patient Care

Azzmo posted:

So how similar in play was Galaxies to WoW? I don't think I've ever seen a screenshot of a group of players working together to kill a boss or a group of enemies. Thus I only know that the game was "fun" but I can't get an idea about how combat worked, how classes fit into combat or even what the goals of the game were.

The gameplay wasn't similar at all. The combat was originally just "everyone put on the heaviest armor you can afford to buy, group up with 20 other people, and do as much damage as possible before the krayt dragon killed EVERYONE in your group" or "be a teras kasi/fencer mix and kill anything in the game without taking damage"

then they did the combat upgrade and NGE thingy and decided to try to do the trinity system but still to this day haven't made it work. Two people with light jedi builds can kill any of the big bad world monsters no problem. The dungeon boss fights are the same as I said above. "do as much DPS before everyone in your party dies and hope you have enough healing kits with you"

They never managed to make combat fun in any way. SWG was "fun" if you're into roleplaying and want a chat client with virtual avatars that will allow you to emote battle while your characters stand completely motionless. :smith:

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

deathsuxdontdie posted:

The gameplay wasn't similar at all. The combat was originally just "everyone put on the heaviest armor you can afford to buy, group up with 20 other people, and do as much damage as possible before the krayt dragon killed EVERYONE in your group" or "be a teras kasi/fencer mix and kill anything in the game without taking damage"

then they did the combat upgrade and NGE thingy and decided to try to do the trinity system but still to this day haven't made it work. Two people with light jedi builds can kill any of the big bad world monsters no problem. The dungeon boss fights are the same as I said above. "do as much DPS before everyone in your party dies and hope you have enough healing kits with you"

They never managed to make combat fun in any way. SWG was "fun" if you're into roleplaying and want a chat client with virtual avatars that will allow you to emote battle while your characters stand completely motionless. :smith:

That's hilarious because it's literally what every single screen shot (not in space) I've ever seen consists of.

So there was some 1 on 1 combat at least. Were there at least a bunch of places to go where you could like...piss off the local imperials and fight security or gank players in an opposite faction?

deathsuxdontdie
Apr 12, 2004

Excellent Patient Care

Azzmo posted:

That's hilarious because it's literally what every single screen shot (not in space) I've ever seen consists of.

So there was some 1 on 1 combat at least. Were there at least a bunch of places to go where you could like...piss off the local imperials and fight security or gank players in an opposite faction?

You could kill any imperial NPC at any time if you were a rebel. Originally(I think, it's been a while) if you killed an imperial NPC you were flagged for PVP and other people could kill you. Now they have three levels of PVP declaration.

"On leave" means you can't be attacked

"active duty(i think?)" means you can attack NPCs and they can shoot you on sight but nobody can PVP with you

"special forces" means you can be engaged by anyone and anything at any time.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Dave Syndrome posted:

So apparently some chucklehead decided that good ol' Max Rebo was really named "Siiruulian Phantele" (get it? GET IT?).
This is on par with killing Chewie.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

The Machine posted:

What KOTOR figures are available? I actually have the Revan Mighty Mugg, but I would totally nerd-buy some other KOTOR action dolls. poo poo, if I could get Canderous/Mandalore... :toot:

Revan and Malak (though they're now rare and pricey), HK-47 and the HK-50s as Build A Droid figures, and Darth Nihilus. That's it so far, though Bastila should be appearing sometime in the near future.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Before they nerfed it in SWG you could have SQUADS of forty dudes including any droids and tamed creatures that could buff and tank.

I never witnessed it but I heard the PVP Golden Age of pre-cu unbalanced poo poo aside was awesome.

I heard from a friend still playing that the CU broke the Ewoks mini crossbows so they have laser shooting crossbows now.

Basically, SWG was pretty much modeled on the Ultima MMO model not the WoW one.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

I never witnessed it but I heard the PVP Golden Age of pre-cu unbalanced poo poo aside was awesome.

And and a squad of 4-5 riflemen/combat medics could wipe out all 40.

But yes, as long as you ignore the unbalanced poo poo, it had its moments.

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.
How the hell old are Luke and Obi-Wan Kenobi supposed to be at the beginning of Episode IV? I re-watched Episode III over the weekend (I was very drunk; it still sucked) and was trying to figure out a way to make the timelines of both trilogies make some sort of sense, and I feel like something doesn't add up right.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Luke is nineteen in ANH and Obi Wan is fifty-seven. The former is pretty on the mark. As far as the latter, Guinness was only sixty-two when he did Obi-Wan. He still looked a lot older and the idea of him not being this elderly wizard, but one barely out of middle age, is retarded.

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Luke is nineteen in ANH and Obi Wan is fifty-seven. The former is pretty on the mark. As far as the latter, Guinness was only sixty-two when he did Obi-Wan. He still looked a lot older and the idea of him not being this elderly wizard, but one barely out of middle age, is retarded.
Huh, that's about what I'd figured, but I'd always felt that they played up the "crazy old wizard" thing and assumed we were meant to think he was at least well into his 60's.

Now, is there any way to make the age difference between Anakin and Padme anything but super creepy?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Tilt your head sideways and pour bleach down your ear.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Obi-wan looks a lot older than he appears, but then again so does Owen Lars. Living in the desert will do that to you.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Torael_7 posted:

Obi-wan looks a lot older than he appears, but then again so does Owen Lars. Living in the desert will do that to you.

Or dealing with the fact you are a character in a George Lucas movie.

Diacritical Mark
Jul 26, 2010

TorpedoFish posted:

Now, is there any way to make the age difference between Anakin and Padme anything but super creepy?

She's only four years older than him. :colbert:

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Maybe I'm imagining it but I SWEAR that Lucas once commented that he considered the Dark Empire Trilogy (those comics) as his idea of Episodes 7-9.

Thank you for letting me know where the Barbra Streisand Emperor Clone and Luke Darkside plot came from. :)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Godammit the clone looks like David Bowie!

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.

Diacritical Mark posted:

She's only four years older than him. :colbert:
:sigh: Trying to come up with a way to make the prequel trilogy into something coherent is a lost cause, isn't it?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Uh-oh goons, I hit a snag. There I was, enjoying the third book in fate of the jedi today at work. I'm really into the series now, and was loving this part involving jag and jaina outside the jedi temple. Then, out of nowhere, IT happened.

"Look Jaina, I overheard something today when I went to speak with Daala. She's hiring mandalorians to take care of the 'jedi problem'."

I face palm'd so hard it resounded throughout the office.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Oh yeah. Wait until Mando-loving-lorians are somehow able to lay siege to the Jedi Temple and get away with blowing a young girl's head off with sniper fire.

There's Traviss's glorious honorable Mando'a for you.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Fox of Stone posted:

Speaking of action figures, is it really possible to get every single guy from the cantina scene? I know what the answer probably is, but I think that bat dude and hammerhead man look pretty cool.

Most but not all. Hasbro likes to space them out over the years.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There's Traviss's glorious honorable Mando'a for you.

If anything, I think it's kind of a Take That at Traviss to kind of rework Mandos into brutal killing machines (read: monsters) and not just super awesome commandos. I kind of like it.

I feel like "I kind of like this crappy EU thing" is becoming my motto in this thread.

Also, at Dragon*Con, I went to a Star Wars author panel with Zahn, Stackpole, and KJA. It was AWESOME, and I totally snagged Zahn's autograph. :smug:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

WampaLord posted:

If anything, I think it's kind of a Take That at Traviss to kind of rework Mandos into brutal killing machines (read: monsters) and not just super awesome commandos. I kind of like it.
I guess, but they're still being treated as uber-powerful fanwank super-troopers who can hold their own against Jedi.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'm pretty sure Mandos were space rear end in a top hat vikings right from the start anyways.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I guess, but they're still being treated as uber-powerful fanwank super-troopers who can hold their own against Jedi.

Really? I'm only halfway through Allies but in the initial raid, not a single Jedi was killed and many Mandos were. Maybe it gets worse later on, but I kind of like the dialing back they got in this novel.

I'm liking Fate of the Jedi way way more than Legacy of the Force. Ben alone makes me keep reading, and his and Luke's relationship is written really well.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

WampaLord posted:

I'm liking Fate of the Jedi way way more than Legacy of the Force. Ben alone makes me keep reading, and his and Luke's relationship is written really well.
Oh yeah, it's definitely a step above LOTF. It just seems like the non-Allston authors keep falling back into the same traps that made LOTF suck.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I don't know about you guys but I sure loved Allana's day at the zoo.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Looked back a few pages and didn't see this posted - Ole Miss apparently actually tried to make Admiral Ackbar their official school mascot. Here's the ESPN commercial about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7ljrGXktR4

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
I keep wanting to take a risk and read FoTJ, But I'm like a Girlfriend on the Lifetime channel. Been hit too many times and scared to go back to my abusive Boyfriend.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I think FotJ is mediocre to decent, at least as far as the recent EU goes, it's nowhere near as bad as Legacy. At least not so far.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Throb Robinson posted:

I keep wanting to take a risk and read FoTJ, But I'm like a Girlfriend on the Lifetime channel. Been hit too many times and scared to go back to my abusive Boyfriend.

So far, the good outweighs the bad. But I will admit that the bad is pretty bad.

I'll post pictures of that Dragon*Con panel when I get home, in case anyone is interested. It was weird putting faces to authors (I didn't bother to look up their photos beforehand for maximum shock value.)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

WampaLord posted:

So far, the good outweighs the bad. But I will admit that the bad is pretty bad.

I'll post pictures of that Dragon*Con panel when I get home, in case anyone is interested. It was weird putting faces to authors (I didn't bother to look up their photos beforehand for maximum shock value.)

Did you ask any questions to the authors?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
If you read the Allston books and the first Golden book, you'll enjoy yourself. Just read the synopsis for the others on Wookieepedia.

One of them though, I think it might have been one of Dennings', was so full of errors I thought I might have bought a first draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Did you ask any questions to the authors?

I did. I wanted to ask a ton, but plenty of other people had questions to ask. The question I asked was for Zahn, and it was regarding his feelings about Mara's death.

He basically said that she was a great character who still had plenty of use in her, and that Star Wars isn't really the kind of universe where you kill off people just to "up the drama." Basically, he was pissed that she was killed off and without his consent, which I what I expected to hear, but it was really cool hearing it from him firsthand.

I also asked him when I was getting his autograph (1 more :smug: for seasoning) if Lucasfilm ever told him to not touch on certain topics because they were planning for movies 7, 8, and 9. He said no, they never told him anything like that.

I have more Star Wars panel stories if the thread feels so inclined.