Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

John posted:

What's the deal with this phone? Every time I post a pic of my desktop on the forums, someone has to mention the phone and gives no reason. It's the default phone telecom at the university gives to everyone.

see here

Because we all have Cisco Avaya VOIP phones of scheduling awesomeness +3 and miss the fact that phones make phone calls. I don't need my god drat desk phone to tell me I have email or scroll RSS feeds, IT'S A PHONE!

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foundtomorrow
Feb 10, 2007

Telex posted:

No, you've got it backwards. (as did I).

My desk has a lip on the bottom that goes around the back and sides of the desk so it's an L-shaped thing that's bigger than the entire clamp for the monitor mount.

I think I have to re-do my entire room which is a shame because I really did like the way that monitor mount looked.

After looking at pictures of the Ikea Galant desk online (the corner desk version), I do not understand what you mean by a lip that goes around the back and sides. I see that the legs or maybe the metal frame that supports the wood could possibly cause a problem, but I can't see up under the desk. Is there a recessed lip of wood on the underside of the desk that is preventing the clamp from fitting or do you have a non-corner desk variation with a different wood top?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Finally decided to stop poo poo-livin' and get a desk instead of balancing all of my crap on top of a dresser. It's some random used office desk which is surprisingly sturdy, adjustable height, and has some really neat cable management features which I've used to haphazardly wad up my power cords.

Click here for the full 1600x1516 image.

(The wall is not filthy, it's just full of divots somehow.)

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

foundtomorrow posted:

After looking at pictures of the Ikea Galant desk online (the corner desk version), I do not understand what you mean by a lip that goes around the back and sides. I see that the legs or maybe the metal frame that supports the wood could possibly cause a problem, but I can't see up under the desk. Is there a recessed lip of wood on the underside of the desk that is preventing the clamp from fitting or do you have a non-corner desk variation with a different wood top?

I'm talking about the metal frame I guess. It's thick and deep enough that the monitor mount just won't fit.

I think I have an older model, mine just has straight legs, no T or A shapes. As such it has the metal frame going around the entire desk. It's a bummer, but this desk is awesome.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Anaconda Rifle posted:

My six monitors are better than your six monitors.

This may quite possibly be the most beautiful thing I have ever seen...

I mostly use mine as an HTPC with a bluetooth keyboard/mousepad from the couch; I spend too much time sitting behind a desk at work to justify doing the same at home :(

Officejet Pro
Oct 21, 2009

Commander in Chimp
[

I finally got my setup together this week ! it's a 15 inch MBP with my new monitor and my comp that is under my desk and all the messy cables that go with it...

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I moved to a new place where I have a whole room for my office so I spent/wasted some time on it.

Click for the full size.

The desk is two maple filing cabinets with a solid maple countertop laid on top. The rest is pretty basic.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Bucket Joneses posted:

I moved to a new place where I have a whole room for my office so I spent/wasted some time on it.

Click for the full size.

The desk is two maple filing cabinets with a solid maple countertop laid on top. The rest is pretty basic.

Excellent, I'm thinking about making my own desk in a similar fashion. Where did you get the countertop?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nebulis01 posted:

Because we all have Cisco Avaya VOIP phones of scheduling awesomeness +3 and miss the fact that phones make phone calls. I don't need my god drat desk phone to tell me I have email or scroll RSS feeds, IT'S A PHONE!

:colbert:

On the one hand, my VoIP phone can block and redirect calls based on about a million factors to help me avoid idiot users. Point Polycom/VoIP.

On the other hand, an indestructible brick phone can be used to brain idiot users, solving the problem long-term. Point brick phone.

I don't know which side to root for.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Solution: a brick exoskeleton for a VOIP phone.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Solution: Connect the murderphone to the Polycom's headset jack. The best of both worlds!

(I doubt this would actually provide enough voltage, but damned if it doesn't sound swell. Plan B: Duct tape.)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

dreesemonkey posted:

Excellent, I'm thinking about making my own desk in a similar fashion. Where did you get the countertop?

I went to a local hardwood place (Crosscut Hardwoods in Seattle) and bought it from them. I paid 250 for the top and about 150 a piece for the filing cabinets which I bought shop-direct.

Saved a ton on cables from Monoprice. Bought the printer and got a 22" monitor for free so I went ahead and got (suckered into) the second one to match.

For some reason I am now contemplating mounting a third 7" monitor below the main two just for fullscreen irssi.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Mr_Person posted:

The wall is filthy by your light switch. And your desk is way too small for a CRT monitor. It would bug the crap out of me for my left hand to be hitting that all the time.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Sweet 'scope.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Here it is from a distance, with my desk chair. The desk itself is tiny, from back when my only computer equipment was a massive CRT monitor and a PC case that could find under the desk. There's little room any more. I have 2 Dacal DVD carousels underneath (cos I hate browsing through my boxes and sticking game DVDs in)

Here it is a bit closer. My lappy is synergised with my PC, thanks to whoever it was who meentioned it in thread. What you can't see behind the monitor is this HDD dock.

And the PC itself:

I am in dire need of a new desk.

bout it flautist
Dec 25, 2005

Sometimes it's lonely being the only sock.

Mr_Person posted:

Finally decided to stop poo poo-livin' and get a desk instead of balancing all of my crap on top of a dresser. It's some random used office desk which is surprisingly sturdy, adjustable height, and has some really neat cable management features which I've used to haphazardly wad up my power cords.

Is that a cartoon dog on your light switch?

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

bout it flautist posted:

I believe it is. And something else very archaic I noticed are those VHS tapes sitting in that bookshelf.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

bout it flautist posted:

It's Chef, the former bear mascot of Kid Cuisine. That switch caught on fire at some point many years ago, and the area around it was repaired with blue contact paper which is now starting to yellow.

KomradeVirtunov
Sep 14, 2007

PiCroft posted:

I am in dire need of a new desk.

Maybe it's just a strange angle, but your desk appears to be about 3ft tall. I imagine sitting in that chair and using the PC must be an absolute pain.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

KomradeVirtunov posted:

Maybe it's just a strange angle, but your desk appears to be about 3ft tall. I imagine sitting in that chair and using the PC must be an absolute pain.
Yeah it does look tiny in the photos. In terms of height, its not too bad, actually a comfortable level. Its just it was pretty specifically built for a different pc and for less equipment so there isnt enough desk space and the pc doesnt fit underneath.

I also badly regret getting a keyboard tray as it only gets in the way now.

Jayo
Jul 10, 2007
Picked this up from Ikea recently. The two storage units are from their VIKA range but like someone earlier in the thread I opted for a kitchen top instead of a VIKA top due to its extra strength and perfect width (~1.8m). WIll probally pick up some sort of cable tidy before long.

Click here for the full 2000x1333 image.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

Jayo posted:

Picked this up from Ikea recently. The two storage units are from their VIKA range but like someone earlier in the thread I opted for a kitchen top instead of a VIKA top due to its extra strength and perfect width (~1.8m). WIll probally pick up some sort of cable tidy before long.

Where's the guitar, and what is it?

Jayo
Jul 10, 2007

TheGopher posted:

Where's the guitar, and what is it?

I actually moved it away so it didnt get in the way of the shot. It's a Jackson King V and I think the specific model is KVX10 or something like that.
See it here.

digitalwatchmaker
Dec 11, 2008

There has been a lot of conversation in this thread about IKEA Lack tables. Here is one way of using them.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
So, I've been working and working on getting all my equipment organized and neat, but then I decided to stop being a goon stuck in a separate part of the house surrounded by computer stuff. Found this desk at a garage sale for $20. I've always wanted one of these desks, for some reason, since I was younger. Moved my main rig to the shared room downstairs, moved everything else to the basement (server, routers, switches, modem, etc. Pictures of that when it is done, which should be soon).
Haven't hooked up speakers yet, might not at all, I only use this computer to game, and I use headphones for that.

Click here for the full 1504x1000 image.

Monitor Rack needs adjusted. May move the LCD to the top, and put my trusty, neglected CRT inside the desk.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Triikan posted:

So, I've been working and working on getting all my equipment organized and neat, but then I decided to stop being a goon stuck in a separate part of the house surrounded by computer stuff. Found this desk at a garage sale for $20. I've always wanted one of these desks, for some reason, since I was younger. Moved my main rig to the shared room downstairs, moved everything else to the basement (server, routers, switches, modem, etc. Pictures of that when it is done, which should be soon).
Haven't hooked up speakers yet, might not at all, I only use this computer to game, and I use headphones for that.

Monitor Rack needs adjusted. May move the LCD to the top, and put my trusty, neglected CRT inside the desk.

Ooooo. Why did you stick the CRT under that sheet of glass? That looks like an interesting set-up.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004

digitalwatchmaker posted:

There has been a lot of conversation in this thread about IKEA Lack tables. Here is one way of using them.

Amazingly the Lack tables perfectly fit switches and U type computer cases.
Link: http://wiki.eth-0.nl/index.php/LackRack

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dobermaniac posted:

Amazingly the Lack tables perfectly fit switches and U type computer cases.
Link: http://wiki.eth-0.nl/index.php/LackRack

I wonder how many people do this without getting cavity plugs and are surprised when their heavy Cisco switch just pulls right out of the wood.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Triikan posted:

THat looks.... painful.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Triikan posted:

Why didn't you at least clean it off when you brought it home?

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

PiCroft posted:

Ooooo. Why did you stick the CRT under that sheet of glass? That looks like an interesting set-up.

That's an LCD, which is not staying under there. Has a CRT in there now, though. These desks became slightly popular during the early to mid nineties in order to get CRTs out of the way. Versions are used in most newscasts. Basically, its under there because that's where its designed to be.

Telex posted:

THat looks.... painful.

Not a bit, metal rack is perfectly out of the way.

Bucket Joneses posted:

Why didn't you at least clean it off when you brought it home?

Yeah, didn't look that bad without the flash; its clean now.

Went ahead and put a CRT in the rack, put the Samsung LCD on top.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Triikan posted:

Not a bit, metal rack is perfectly out of the way.

Er, that's kinda what I mean.

Staring at a screen embedded in a desk doesn't seem like a physically healthy way to do things and you'll wind up in some significant pain if you do it like that for a while I'd bet.

Ergonomics and junk.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Its at a pretty decent angle. Almost like you're reading a book. I'd almost say its better than a normal setup. That being said it does darken the display a bit so Ill be using it as a secondary display.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

We had a computer lab in high school that had those desks. It wasn't that bad, but it wasn't revolutionary either.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

The only people I saw with those monitor desks were secretaries and people that made appointments at the dentist.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

IUG posted:

We had a computer lab in high school that had those desks. It wasn't that bad, but it wasn't revolutionary either.

I had one computerized test in college that they did in a room with these, I guess it probably would make it a lot harder to glance at a neighbor's screen plus the student can't hide anything behind the monitor.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

And here we go.

I need a world map to put on the wall. Anyone know where to get one?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Nice marantz integrated.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Jealous Cow posted:

Nice marantz integrated.

Thanks--that's what sold me on the table.

foundtomorrow
Feb 10, 2007

Abel Wingnut posted:

I would also really enjoy a suggestion for a large wall map if anyone knows of a cheap good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Abel Wingnut posted:

And here we go.

What headphones are those?