Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
I figured it was about time I posted my bike:

It's a 2007 GSXR750, and it's a peach :D

The engine is fantastic, very linear and smooth. Only thing that bothers me is a very on/off throttle, something I hoped to fix with a power commander, but seems to require a proper dyno-ing to be performed.
It's also got short ASV levers, they make a huge difference to the feel of the levers, and I can adjust them to fit my short fingers.

Otherwise it's bone stock!

Edit: Forgot braided brake hoses and race pads. I'm not completely happy with the current brakes - they're fine on the road, but I want more stopping power on the track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Yeah, I know it's not a grand collection like Z3n has or anything, but it's already starting to feel crowded in there...

GSX600F, XJ650, CBR1000F.

I only own a few bikes at the moment. Soon to be just one SM. :( Nice collection though! I've always wanted to ride one of those old CBR1000Fs.

Mathturbator, a dyno is really essential for a proper power commander setup. Ideally it'll feel super linear when it's done, which can feel less fast (because it doesn't "hit"), but the bike will be putting down more power and you'll be able to use it easier. For the brakes, either an accossato or a brembo master cylinder will take care of all of your problems. Get some decent pads in there too, I'm partial to Vesrah although there are plenty of good offerings out there. Full race pads usually aren't the best unless you're using them on the track because they never have a chance to get up to proper temp and have a tendency to end up degrading a bit until they get run hard again.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 31, 2010

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

/Modified 79 xs 650 engine
/1-off rigid frame
/Dyna front end
/21" Harley Front Wheel
/200 Rear (w/offset)

Fun

Click here for the full 1023x685 image.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Noice. I like it.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Heavy Petting posted:

/1-off rigid frame
/Dyna front end
/21" Harley Front Wheel
/200 Rear (w/offset)

Fun

God that looks nice and I have only been interested in street bikes since now....

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
That's how a custom is supposed to look like.

You see, getting all those compliments on a custom here in CA says a lot about how awesome it is.

:)

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Heavy Petting posted:

/1-off rigid frame
/Dyna front end
/21" Harley Front Wheel
/200 Rear (w/offset)

Fun

Well planned and great execution. Bet it's a blast.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Nice ride, Heavy Petting. I had an XS650 Special that I went the flat track look with but never got to ride before I sold it for twice what I had in it.

Primo Itch posted:

That's how a custom is supposed to look like.

I wasn't aware that customs were supposed to look the same. :v:
Customs are supposed to look how you want them to look. There's no right way to make a custom, hence the name. Just because you like his build doesn't mean that's the "right" way to make one. That just means you like what he did and don't like others so much.

I used to think like that until I helped my brother and his friend make a custom GS1100. It wasn't what I would have built, but there was still a lot of soul and passion put into the bike and the dude figuratively rode the wheels off the thing. If the work was done well with some thought and engineering put into the design and the bike gets used, who are we to judge?

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

Thanks for the kind words dudes! :bubblewoop:

The XS engine is a fantastic, cheap project base. Parts are plentiful, and there are number of places that sell XS parts exclusively. Just take the time to learn about the charging system =o

The bike pictured above was only about $4000 to build top to bottom

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Heavy Petting posted:

Fun

drat, you built that beast for 4 grand? It looks freaking sweet! The only thing I don't like about a lot of custom builds is the metal grips, kinda tacky. Besides that, that would be my ideal custom.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

frozenphil posted:

Nice ride, Heavy Petting. I had an XS650 Special that I went the flat track look with but never got to ride before I sold it for twice what I had in it.

I wasn't aware that customs were supposed to look the same. :v:
Customs are supposed to look how you want them to look. There's no right way to make a custom, hence the name. Just because you like his build doesn't mean that's the "right" way to make one. That just means you like what he did and don't like others so much.

I used to think like that until I helped my brother and his friend make a custom GS1100. It wasn't what I would have built, but there was still a lot of soul and passion put into the bike and the dude figuratively rode the wheels off the thing. If the work was done well with some thought and engineering put into the design and the bike gets used, who are we to judge?

Hm, i expressed myself badly, the word custom has a different connotation here, I guess the US equivalent is Cruiser.

That's how a cruiser is supposed to look like sounds good for you ?
I meant it in a OCC/rake to sturgis context : This thing is a real personalized bike, not a show bike not supposed to be ridden.

Primo Itch fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 4, 2010

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

Mcqueen posted:

drat, you built that beast for 4 grand? It looks freaking sweet! The only thing I don't like about a lot of custom builds is the metal grips, kinda tacky. Besides that, that would be my ideal custom.

Hey thanks! Those metal grips were extremely painful. I got the whole front end used, and relaced them after about 2 miles of actual riding.

They were 1 1/8 solid metal grips on 1" bars with no sleeves in between; this combined with the insane vibration of a windy vertical twin made riding hard the OPPOSITE of :sonia:

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

My 1994 CBR 600 F2 as it stands today. Current modifications include Woodcraft clipons and rearsets, braided brake lines, and a nice Fox twin-clicker rear shock. I have an Airtech superbike tail on order which will complete the rear end nicely and get rid of that ugly banana seat. It's obviously had the fairings removed and a bucket headlight added.

The Koso RX-1N gauge I'm using. It is secured via zipties.

My girlfriend's 1973 Suzuki TS185 that I conned her into buying. It's a blast to ride and it's a fun way for her to get to work and putt around on the weekends.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

My '82 Sportster the day before its untimely demise on the 101 a couple weeks back *pours out some of his 40*

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Nice, my roommate's bike (in the background of the above pic) is a GS500 in an almost identical state; who runs Bartertown?

modify_evolution
Jan 21, 2010

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

The Koso RX-1N gauge I'm using. It is secured via zipties.

Glad I'm not the only one. Now, time for me to replace them with BLACK zipties...

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

modify_evolution posted:

Glad I'm not the only one. Now, time for me to replace them with BLACK zipties...

Nay, use hot pink. If you look close I've got some bangin' hot pink zip ties securing cables and wires behind my headlight.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I picked up this 1990 TW200 last wednesday. It's missing the speedo and neutral/turn signal/highbeam light cluster. I'll be getting a trailtech vapor unit at some point but currently have a bicycle computer for a speedo. It also had a really lovely paint job so I sprayed it with rustoleum truck bed liner. I didn't have enough for the headlight shroud and front fender so I'll spray those this weekend. I also have a can of blue vinyl dye on the way for the seat since teal is not a good color. I'm just hoping it doesn't rub off from sitting on it.

This is also my first street legal bike, so far it's been really fun to ride around. I haven't taken it on any trails yet though, I might this weekend if the weather isn't lovely. I haven't gone through a tank yet but it seems to be getting really good mileage, other guys have reported 70-95mpg depending on what sprockets they have.

before:

After:

Frost
Dec 6, 2003
Don't let the Frost bite you
Hey, actually teal goes really well with the flat black. Looks like you got a fun bike there. I dig the big tires, should be fun to plow through the dirt with.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Awesome little toy, seconding that you should leave it teal.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
A fresh shot of the KLR in its intended state (god drat filthy)

Click here for the full 2000x1251 image.

And a not-phone-camera shot of the Falco

Click here for the full 1986x1242 image.

I need to take it somewhere nice and do a full package of pics of it

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I'm just not digging the teal. I tried cleaning the seat today too and it still looks dirty. I did take off the strap that was on it since it was worn through in some spots so there is the one clean stripe on the seat.

modify_evolution
Jan 21, 2010

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Nay, use hot pink. If you look close I've got some bangin' hot pink zip ties securing cables and wires behind my headlight.

!!! I need to find some hot pink electrical tape to wrap the exposed cords in, too. This will Tsaven-proof my bike forever!

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

modify_evolution posted:

!!! I need to find some hot pink electrical tape to wrap the exposed cords in, too. This will Tsaven-proof my bike forever!

I know you know him better than I do, but from reading Tsaven's posts I am not left with the impression that hot pink is a color that he would shirk from.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

NinjaTech posted:

I'm just not digging the teal. I tried cleaning the seat today too and it still looks dirty. I did take off the strap that was on it since it was worn through in some spots so there is the one clean stripe on the seat.

Can't vouch for the process/products, but it looks legit:

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/seat_paint/

Congrats on the find. Always wanted to try out one of those TWs, and thought about them recently when one came up for sale locally. Do a mini road test/review when you get a chance, I'd like to read an honest eval.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Marv Hushman posted:

Can't vouch for the process/products, but it looks legit:

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/seat_paint/

Congrats on the find. Always wanted to try out one of those TWs, and thought about them recently when one came up for sale locally. Do a mini road test/review when you get a chance, I'd like to read an honest eval.

that writeup is for using vinyl paint, I'll be using dye so it'll be a bit different.

So far the TW200 has been pretty fun, I've only put 50-60 miles on it so far though. Mostly around town and one trip on a 50mph two lane highway. I haven't taken it out on I5 yet but I've gotten it up to 60mph, top speed should be about 70mph with my stock gearing. I'm hoping to either go up a tooth in the front or down three in the rear for some better top end speed.

here's a review that's way better than I could write up and was just another reason I really wanted one. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40322

There is also another ride report of a guy that put 6200mi on his trip from Utah to Alaska on one of these. One other guy even did a long trip with a single wheel trailer attached to his.

modify_evolution
Jan 21, 2010

frozenphil posted:

I know you know him better than I do, but from reading Tsaven's posts I am not left with the impression that hot pink is a color that he would shirk from.

You would be surprised. Some things are good hot pink (ie hair). Some things are bad (ie anything other than hair). I was all excited about the idea of wearing a frilly pink tutu over my gear just to be silly, and he was against the idea. Not because I'd look stupid- he is all for me looking stupid- but because it's pink.

Yeah, I don't understand it either.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot
Well on my girlfriend's DRZ she ordered a seat in pink and black from Renazco and we managed to find a place to make us custom barbed wire decals in the matching pink. It came out pretty rad if you ask me.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

That's pure concentrated V-60° sex bend in steel and polymers.

harm0nic
Feb 21, 2010

My '02 SV650. A little rough around the edges (seat upholstery is torn up a bit, occasionally stubborn ignition, paint on the tail fairing is chipped), but goddammit, she's mine.

The price was a bit on the high side ($2200), but I had to have her the moment I saw her.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

harm0nic posted:

My '02 SV650. A little rough around the edges (seat upholstery is torn up a bit, occasionally stubborn ignition, paint on the tail fairing is chipped), but goddammit, she's mine.

The price was a bit on the high side ($2200), but I had to have her the moment I saw her.

Radical, I love naked black SVs with the belly fairing. Definitely my purchase when my insurance pays me next week. Why does it seem that the market for SVs in the PNW is so overpriced? $2200 is on the low side of what people ask for wrecked, high-milage curvies, it's ridiculous.

E: although now that I check, there's a couple for pretty dang cheap to balance it out. Maybe the rain we've been having scared prices down to a more reasonable level.

himajinga fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 8, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

himajinga posted:

Radical, I love naked black SVs with the belly fairing. Definitely my purchase when my insurance pays me next week. Why does it seem that the market for SVs in the PNW is so overpriced? $2200 is on the low side of what people ask for wrecked, high-milage curvies, it's ridiculous.

E: although now that I check, there's a couple for pretty dang cheap to balance it out. Maybe the rain we've been having scared prices down to a more reasonable level.

My friend wants to sell his pimped out 02? black curvy with a handlebar setup and a set of track plastics/clipons/etc. I'll post up details when he's got it all ready to go. Gixxer front, penske, etc.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

NinjaTech posted:

I wish I had a TW200 as my first bike. Even with all the other bikes out there I still think TW200s are some of the most fun dual sports around.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Chill_Bebop posted:

I wish I had a TW200 as my first bike. Even with all the other bikes out there I still think TW200s are some of the most fun dual sports around.

Yeah so far it's been a pretty awesome bike. I put 50 miles on it yesterday riding around on back roads and around town. I couldn't get it over 58mph on flat ground though, not sure if it was just windy, gearing, or not tuned perfectly. It seems to run fine so I'm not sure what's up with it. I haven't been able to check my speed with a GPS so it could be off some.

modify_evolution
Jan 21, 2010
I woke up this morning (and by "this morning" I mean "at 12:30 in the afternoon") and walked out to my living room to open the curtains. And I found THIS:

I've been pretending it's mine all day.

Streetfighter party at my house!

My bike is embarrassed by its blemishes. It's okay, Diablo the Death Machine, I still love you. Even if you're not a beautiful Ducati.

modify_evolution fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 12, 2012

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
Lot of good lookin bieks on this page. Gotta say, I'm a fan of tw200's after workin with 'em at the MSF this year.

Also here's my biek:

Taken with my cell phone, i can't believe it got the clouds and everything

Loaded down with luggage (mostly laundry) for a trip home

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

modify_evolution posted:

I woke up this morning (and by "this morning" I mean "at 12:30 in the afternoon") and walked out to my living room to open the curtains. And I found THIS:

Click here for the full 1734x2016 image.

I've been pretending it's mine all day.

Streetfighter party at my house!

Click here for the full 600x900 image.

My bike is embarrassed by its blemishes. It's okay, Diablo the Death Machine, I still love you. Even if you're not a beautiful Ducati.

Click here for the full 900x672 image.

Just looking at the clipons on that Duc makes my back hurt.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Just looking at the clipons on that Duc makes my back hurt.

I never understood comments like this as I take 4 hour trips on my SV650s and don't even notice.

harm0nic
Feb 21, 2010

schreibs posted:

I never understood comments like this as I take 4 hour trips on my SV650s and don't even notice.

Do you have an aftermarket seat? My stock seat plays hell with my back.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

schreibs posted:

Ride a proper cafe racer. Or age a bit, you'll start to understand. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

schreibs posted:

An SV650S has higher bars and flatter tank than that torture rack.