Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Gadamer posted:

Today is my girlfriend's first day as a lawyer. How long do I have before she starts drinking heavier and beating me?
Today is my girlfriend's first day too, we can start a battered boyfriends' support group

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Do you have a job Linguica

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 1, 2016

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Lots of Golden Rule violations ITT.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

HooKars posted:

Okay, this job sucks. Philly has not discovered the secret that NY has - don't get in to the office until 10 am and then working late doesn't seem so bad. When you have to be in by 7:50 am, working til 11 pm seems way, way worse.

Once you get out of the City, every other firm expects you to be there at 9am or earlier. New York is just the way it is because it used to be that NYC was the only city where you would be putting in punishing hours. Also, clients were used to that. They might not be used to that in other cities.

Even NYC is getting anal about getting in "on time." The firm I work at is based in Long Island and they know we have to work late but I was getting a lot of crap about getting in at 10am. The impression I got was that they were afraid that attitude was going to leak out to the NJ and LI offices.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Stunt Rock posted:

Lots of Golden Rule violations ITT.

Yeah that's what I thought. Any time you put a jury in the shoes of the plaintiff then you get in trouble. I don't know how that works in the real world, but I got yelled at a lot because I said something along the same lines.

What are the actual repercussions from doing that? Do people just shrug it off? Can you get a mistrial for it?

On a less serious note, the firms I've worked for told me that South Florida is the most insane place to practice law. Anyone care to confirm/deny?

http://abovethelaw.com/2009/07/update-motion-to-compel-appropriate-footwear-causes-mistrial/

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

Omerta posted:

Yeah that's what I thought. Any time you put a jury in the shoes of the plaintiff then you get in trouble. I don't know how that works in the real world, but I got yelled at a lot because I said something along the same lines.

What are the actual repercussions from doing that? Do people just shrug it off? Can you get a mistrial for it?

On a less serious note, the firms I've worked for told me that South Florida is the most insane place to practice law. Anyone care to confirm/deny?

http://abovethelaw.com/2009/07/update-motion-to-compel-appropriate-footwear-causes-mistrial/

Yes, you can get a mistrial for a golden rule violation.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Gadamer posted:

Today is my girlfriend's first day as a lawyer. How long do I have before she starts drinking heavier and beating me?

That depends on what kind of work she does.

If she is a junior associate at a private firm, you will have to wait until she gets home from work late Saturday night.

If she is working in the DA's office, you will have to wait until she gets home from work late tonight.

If she is working for a government agency, you'll have to wait until 4:30pm today.

If she hung her own shingle, she's probably drunk right now.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

Wyatt posted:

If she hung her own shingle, she's probably drunk right now.

The timing of this post coincided almost exactly with my post-meeting, pre-lunch "Why do I get up in the morning, again?" phase.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 1, 2016

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Gadamer posted:

Nonprofit. What now?

She'll start drinking after the second or third time her efforts to turn around a situation for a client fall short due to the law being irretrievably screwed up and she realizes that the only major bargaining leverage she is likely to have is asking someone to do what is "right."

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Phil Moscowitz posted:

This is a line from a local plaintiff attorney's commericals.

"What does the couch mean to you? A relaxing nap? Watching a football game with friends, or sitting for an hour after work to unwind?

For my clients, the couch is a prison. Imagine spending the rest of your life in debilitating pain, unable to get up from the couch. My clients have to deal with that pain. They shouldn't have to worry about their finances."

That's money.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

Shouted by some little dude with a goatee at a bar last night in New Orleans during some silly debate:

"I'm going to be a loving lawyer. This is what I've been TRAINED to do!!!"

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Omerta posted:

Alright, who's going to get us a copy of this motion?
edit: ME!
http://abovethelaw.com/2009/07/holier-than-thou-motion-to-compel-defense-counsel-to-wear-appropriate-shoes-at-trial/

nm fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 7, 2010

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Gadamer posted:

Fakepost. The drinking and beatings would have started during her 1L Orientation.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I think we've learned who REALLY has holes in his soul today.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

what the gently caress amazon canceled my order of that book

aaaaaaaaargh you guys snapped up all the other good ones/cheap ones

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

evilweasel posted:

happened to me too

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

evilweasel posted:

efficient breach IMO

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
lmao I gave my copy away

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

evilweasel posted:

I like to think an alert pops up somewhere when an old book like this sells out. I imagine Amazon buying hundreds of copies to meet the new anticipated demand. There they will sit until the next generation of homeless lawyers happens upon a bright spot in their dismal profession. Thus the cycle to continues.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Phil Moscowitz posted:

lmao I gave my copy away

actually I flipped it on amazon for 100% profit

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

evilweasel posted:

Mine got here today :shobon:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mookie posted:

Mine got here today :shobon:

I hate you

on the other hand I might have found an original copy for $10

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
UCLA
USC
UC Hastings
LLS
SCU
USD
Pepperdine

Applications going out asap. If any of you guys know some good entertainment law schools let me know.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Enigma89 posted:

If any of you guys know some good entertainment law schools let me know.

The best entertainment law school is the highest-ranked school you get in to.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Enigma89 posted:

UCLA
USC
UC Hastings
LLS
SCU
USD
Pepperdine

Applications going out asap. If any of you guys know some good entertainment law schools let me know.

Yale Harvard and Stamford.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

Enigma89 posted:

UCLA
USC
UC Hastings
LLS
SCU
USD
Pepperdine

The ones that let you fellate actors and get a good pegging by actresses.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Vander posted:

The ones that let you fellate actors and get a good pegging by actresses.

I dunno if nyu is an option for him.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
It's not. It will be a miracle if I get into USC or UCLA. I am not even going to bother with NYU.

I am really improving a lot on the LSAT though. Since my first practice exam I have improved my score by 13 points.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Enigma89 posted:

UCLA
USC
UC Hastings
LLS
SCU
USD
Pepperdine

Don't go to any of these schools.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Enigma89 posted:

It's not. It will be a miracle if I get into USC or UCLA. I am not even going to bother with NYU.

I am really improving a lot on the LSAT though. Since my first practice exam I have improved my score by 13 points.

What did you get on your first practice exam?

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

AKMoose posted:

What did you get on your first practice exam?
141. I am up to 154 now. I am about 1/4 way through Kaplan's review guide. I am pretty drat confident I can get up to the 165 range. Once I finish all the review and do some extra practice. I have been trying to put at least 5 hours a day toward LSAT practice.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Enigma89 posted:

141. I am up to 154 now.

Yikes.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Enigma89 posted:

141. I am up to 154 now. I am about 1/4 way through Kaplan's review guide. I am pretty drat confident I can get up to the 165 range. Once I finish all the review and do some extra practice. I have been trying to put at least 5 hours a day toward LSAT practice.

Well, your scores are too low, the market's crowded, none of those schools are good enough, run away, blah blah blah.

But if you aren't going to listen to any of that, I at least recommend switching to PowerScore. Self-study with those books was all I needed to get into NYU.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Wyatt posted:

Yikes.

I'll get it up to at least the 160s.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Enigma89 posted:

http://www.bnsf.com/careers/apply/

WoooWoooo!

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Yeah I knew I would get a bunch of poo poo. We will see in a few weeks what I end up getting. I'll get the score I need.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Enigma89 posted:

Look, if the two options before you were (1) killing yourself, and (2) going to law school, and you had those scores, and asked me which of those two options would lead you to have a better/more fulfilling/happier life, I'd tell you option (1)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Enigma89 posted:

Yeah I knew I would get a bunch of poo poo. We will see in a few weeks what I end up getting. I'll get the score I need.
I hope it is 175

The future is in trains.