Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I think 09 had some issues with the XT engine. But the 2010 2.5X engine should be pretty bulletproof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

Bob Log posted:

I'm trying to remove the short shifter from my car

Pull backwards like you're shifting into 4th, but just keep pulling back and slightly down, using the shifter as a long lever. Eventually the ball end will just pop out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What are everyone's thoughts on Tokico D-Spec's for an 02 wrx? At 109k I'm pretty sure my struts are pas their prime and I wouldn't mind upgrading with something better than stock. I don't really want to mess with Koni hacking up my current struts to use the Koni adjustable inserts.

http://www.oakos.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TOK-DSP-10

I basically want a nice suspension upgrade with stock springs and just be able to hand the struts to an installer and say "install these please."

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

bull3964 posted:

I basically want a nice suspension upgrade with stock springs and just be able to hand the struts to an installer and say "install these please."

You could go with this package from Turnin Concepts which has the Tokico's but also includes some decent springs and come fully assembled (you could put them on yourself even!).

I personally think getting rid of the stock springs is just as important as stuts but it's your call, the Tokico's are the nicest for the price and what you're doing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Eh, I'm not really interested in spending that much on a 9 year old car.

I'm half tempted just to get a set of KYB GR-2 struts since they are cheap as hell and just a lateral move from OEM.

I'm pretty much just interested in restoring the tightness of when the car was new and maybe giving it a bump if cost effective. I also, absolutely, do NOT want to change the ride height of the car. The ground clearance is a gift around here, especially in the winter, and I don't want to compromise it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I've heard nothing but good things about the d-specs. Do that or konis.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

bull3964 posted:

What are everyone's thoughts on Tokico D-Spec's for an 02 wrx? At 109k I'm pretty sure my struts are pas their prime and I wouldn't mind upgrading with something better than stock. I don't really want to mess with Koni hacking up my current struts to use the Koni adjustable inserts.

http://www.oakos.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TOK-DSP-10

You should get these!

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2042948

Cheaper than anything else out there!

:negative:

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.
Jamal - do you have an opinion about the BC BR Coilovers for a GR? Everything I've read from people that actually own them seem to be very glowing reviews, including a couple of local dudes who swear by them. I'd be curious to see what you have to say about them?

Also I'm trying to figure out spring rates. My car is 80% daily driver, 20% track/autocross slut and it's my understanding that we want a stiffer rear in the GR STI's. My inclination is to go with 10k rear, 8k or 9k front, from what I gather that should be pretty good for what I'm looking to do, but I can't really tell you why. Any input is appreciated?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

c355n4 posted:

You should get these!

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2042948

Cheaper than anything else out there!

:negative:

Well that's just scary as all hell for the pricepoint.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

People love the bc/megan etc at first because it's stiffer and lower and makes the car chage direction more quickly. Then the strut top bearings start to rattle and clunk, then the struts themselves start to clunk and leak. On top of that they have practically no travel, especially in the rear of the gr, which barely has enough to begin with.

KW v3 with linear springs, 7k/8k is where I would start for a street/track car. They're durable, compliant, and the damping is very well developed for the car.

nutnmunch
Sep 19, 2007
get out.

jamal posted:

People love the bc/megan etc at first because it's stiffer and lower and makes the car chage direction more quickly. Then the strut top bearings start to rattle and clunk, then the struts themselves start to clunk and leak. On top of that they have practically no travel, especially in the rear of the gr, which barely has enough to begin with.

KW v3 with linear springs, 7k/8k is where I would start for a street/track car. They're durable, compliant, and the damping is very well developed for the car.

Are BCs really that bad? I've always considered them to be a step above Megan.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What do you guys think of the Rally Armor URs? I want them to protect my paint in the winter but I can't decide if they're cool looking or ridiculously gaudy.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

nutnmunch posted:

That is not saying much. The way I see it. If you can't/don't want to do the research and shell out the money for a nice set of coilovers (and understand how to set them up). You are most likely better served with a good set of struts and springs that are matched for your car. Personally, I would never DD a car on coilovers.

Just for reference, I run RCE Tarmac 2s (KW V3s with different valving) on my Subaru. But that car only ever sees the road on the way to events. Its a mind gently caress switching between it and the Honda Fit.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kylej posted:

What do you guys think of the Rally Armor URs? I want them to protect my paint in the winter but I can't decide if they're cool looking or ridiculously gaudy.
I think they're cool looking. The previous owner threw them on my car. They work fairly well for road spray and some light road gravel but they don't seem to do anything for blasting down gravel roads.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

nutnmunch posted:

bc = megan = stance = dc = everyfucking thing else that costs $1000.

oh and by the way, racecomp t2, robispec v3, and kw v3 all have the same valving these days. The only difference is the springs.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Anybody here wanna sell me their stock '04-07 STi axleback? I'm finishing up my '02 wagon right now (Stage 2 tune, STi uppipe, 3" catless DP) and would like to have the entire exhaust system be 2.5" (or 60mm or whatever it is).

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

c355n4 posted:

If you can't/don't want to shell out the money for a nice set of coilovers....you are most likely better served with a good set of struts and springs

This cannot be stressed enough, across all brands and types of cars. A quality set of springs, some Koni sport inserts, and an alignment will run what, maybe $800? This cheap upgrade will absolutely transform ANY car that doesn't already have adjustable shocks, from a Festiva to a F-150 to a STI. The next step up really is going to be at least twice that much; anything less is going to have compromises and caveats.

Preaching to the choir, here, but goddamn I forgot how much I hated ricers until I put my CRX up for sale... the retarded poo poo that comes out of peoples' mouths is just mind blowing.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Sterndotstern posted:

A quality set of springs

On this note, does anyone make stiffer stock height springs? I'd like to firm up the suspension a bit, but I do not want to drop the car at all. Gotta keep it sleeper.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

Amandyke posted:

On this note, does anyone make stiffer stock height springs? I'd like to firm up the suspension a bit, but I do not want to drop the car at all. Gotta keep it sleeper.

http://turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_9_7_479_43_134_797&products_id=1098

Same thing I linked earlier in the thread. I'm pretty sure those don't lower but I know their other struts and springs don't for sure. check it out.

To be clear i'm talking about the springs available in that package.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Blaise posted:

Anybody here wanna sell me their stock '04-07 STi axleback? I'm finishing up my '02 wagon right now (Stage 2 tune, STi uppipe, 3" catless DP) and would like to have the entire exhaust system be 2.5" (or 60mm or whatever it is).

I'm pretty sure the exhaust I took off my 07 WRX wasn't any larger than the '04 STi catback I put on it, the STi one just had smaller resonators and a bigger tip.

I thought Stage 2 had to be a full 3" catback?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Finally got the weird full-chassis vibration at 1k, 2k and 3k (probably 4k, 5k and 6k) fixed. It was a bent motor mount that had partially released the front corner of my car. The guy at the shop said it was only his second time seeing it; the first time he saw it was from a retard who liked doing full-throttle launches on his STI and the second time is from me (presumably the first owner's accident, though possibly the first owner also did full throttle retard launches).

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
Anything wrong with buying an Accessport for my STI? If I like having a little bit more power then stage 2 next year sometime is my thought.

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

Sterndotstern posted:

Preaching to the choir, here, but goddamn I forgot how much I hated ricers until I put my CRX up for sale... the retarded poo poo that comes out of peoples' mouths is just mind blowing.

Never visit Nasioc. Ever.

On the note about good struts, does anyone make a drop-in replacement for the 05 STi? My hunting results in 1. buy OEM replacements (whee replace ever 10k mi!) or 2. buy RCE TarmacZero coilovers. I'd like something like Koni or Bilsteins without having to do fab work.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I'm pretty sure the exhaust I took off my 07 WRX wasn't any larger than the '04 STi catback I put on it, the STi one just had smaller resonators and a bigger tip.

I thought Stage 2 had to be a full 3" catback?

As far as I can tell everywhere the axleback is different although the downpipe and midpipe are the same.

And no, not running 3" TBE on mine, runs great. Edit: This is the openECU stage 2 tune, not cobb or anything.

Blaise fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 9, 2010

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

FormulaXFD posted:

Never visit Nasioc. Ever.

On the note about good struts, does anyone make a drop-in replacement for the 05 STi? My hunting results in 1. buy OEM replacements (whee replace ever 10k mi!) or 2. buy RCE TarmacZero coilovers. I'd like something like Koni or Bilsteins without having to do fab work.

A lot of people are just replacing the rears with tokico adjustables and leaving the fronts.

The Ohlins are limited production and cost $2000 for the set. Koni inserts sort of work. Cheapo coilovers are a bad idea. RCE T0, T2, KW V3 etc are all probably the best option. I can get you a pretty good deal on the V3s. Or JRZ stuff...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, apparently, the Plasma Blue Pearl is going to be STI only in the US.

So looks like I'm going to either go with my original choice of gray or be dumb and get a car that matches the car I have now which would just be kind of silly.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
I think I already know what's wrong but:
04 wrx, 3in TBE, cobb ap tune

On occasion, in stop and go driving, my idle will increase from normal to anywhere from 1500rpm to 2100rpms. The problem isn't persistent(i.e., once I turn off at the end of the trip and come back to it later it's not idling at 1500-2100) and doesn't seem to happen under normal driving conditions.

From googling, it seems that my Idle Air Control Valve is bad. I'm not getting a CEL from this so I didn't think to pull codes which was stupid. It seems a new one is in the neighborhood of $200 bucks.

Any other thoughts?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Impressions of recent work done on my '02 WRX wagon:

-STi Uppipe
-El Cheapo Downpipe (3" Bellmouth, megan racing perhaps?)
-OSECU Stage2 91 Octane Map (running 93 anyway)

What to say? Well, it's not 'fast' compared to a 400whp STi or a motorcycle or anything like that. But the boost theshold is basically zero, and I'm hitting 15.5psi at 2900-3000rpm. Very nice powerband for street use, although there is significant high-rpm self making GBS threads thanks to the stock TD04 turbo.

Exhaust noise level is either stock or it's so close I can't tell a difference. Turbo noise level is significantly higher but I don't care.

Time to install an STi axleback and up the timing a little :D

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

On another note, is Subaru inventory tracking just this poor?

I've been in contact with 3 dealerships so far. They have all been the same. "We're probably getting a few cars in this month. We really don't know when. We aren't even sure what trim/body/color they will be either. You're welcome to keep an eye on our website and see when inventory comes in."

Really. You are telling me that Subaru is shipping around $30,000 hunks of metal to random locations without any sort of tracking and notice?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

bull3964 posted:

Really. You are telling me that Subaru is shipping around $30,000 hunks of metal to random locations without any sort of tracking and notice?

Sounds like it's time for some :rice: if they do.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Veins McGee posted:

On occasion, in stop and go driving, my idle will increase from normal to anywhere from 1500rpm to 2100rpms. The problem isn't persistent(i.e., once I turn off at the end of the trip and come back to it later it's not idling at 1500-2100) and doesn't seem to happen under normal driving conditions.

From googling, it seems that my Idle Air Control Valve is bad. I'm not getting a CEL from this so I didn't think to pull codes which was stupid. It seems a new one is in the neighborhood of $200 bucks.

Any other thoughts?
Start by cleaning it and replacing the gasket. People seem to have pretty good results.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

kylej posted:

I got a set of them for my 2010 WRX. I didn't like how gaudy they were, so I modified them to be in-set an extra 1/2" (they originally stuck out REALLY far and looked ridiculous). I like how they look a LOT better, and they still extend a bit out from the tires, so they're still serving a good purpose.

Amandyke posted:

I'm right here with you. I have a 2010 WRX and REALLY want to stiffen the ride and improve performance. However, I'm already happy with how low my car is (stock) and am scared to lower it, for fear of damaging it on bumps, curbs, or snow. It's kind of frustrating that 'performance springs' and 'lower your car' go hand in hand, and you generally can't have the first without the second.

To get around this (don't laugh), I'm considering getting these Epic Progressive Springs (which lower the car 1") and then installing these. That should have an end-result of a stock ride height, coupled with the improved performance of some nice progressive springs!

syphon fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 9, 2010

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Veins McGee posted:

Any other thoughts?

hahahahahaha...I have been getting the code for a bad IAC with my '04 Impreza and was going to ask how to fix it.

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos
So I totaled my Jeep Cherokee... and there's a 1997 Impreza "Brighton" (thats the base model right) that's an automatic, has CD player, blows cold air, sounds/runs good and drove good.
$2,995 is this reasonable?

If so, what should problems and stuff should I look at this for this model before purchasing?

I'm not looking for anything for performance, hence why I don't care if it's an auto or manual.... I just need the AWD for winter. That's why i'm either getting, probably, a Subaru with AWD or another Jeep with 4x4.

I have a $5000 budget so what else could I get for around there? Any chance of a WRX (I know a STi is out of the question though) in good shape?

for your pleasure; here's my totaled Jeep:

(my hosting)

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

Jebus, did you actually hit a brick wall?

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

chomper posted:

Any chance of a WRX in good shape?

Most likely no, the cheapest you'll find a WRX is a 02/03 on their close-to last legs, usually over 100,000 miles. If you're ok with dropping an engine in it to the tune of 2-3k more in a year or two then you could get a WRX.

You could probably find a 2.5RS or another impreza with AWD for cheaper. The 2 door 2.5RS is a wicked good time, but a Legacy could also be in your price range.

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 10, 2010

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos

Bob Log posted:

Most likely no, the cheapest you'll find a WRX is a 02/03 on their close-to last legs, usually over 100,000 miles. If you're ok with dropping an engine in it to the tune of 2-3k more in a year or two then you could get a WRX.

Figured this, and I totally don't wanted a beat to hell, molested, or riced out WRX.

So any info for the Impreza i'm considering? Anything I should check on specifically?

Here's the listing for it:
http://www.blaneyauto.com/vehicledetails.aspx?VID=121234996
I'm also considering the gold/champagne Jeep Cherokee they have and MAYBE the White Cherokee (even though it's a bit out of my range as of now)...

FormulaXFD posted:

Jebus, did you actually hit a brick wall?

I hit a telephone poll (which broke and needed to be replaced) and then went into a tree.

The ambulance people were amazed. I dialed 911 by myself and when they got there climbed out the passenger window by myself. No broken anything, just big huge bruises from the seatbelt and airbag. As well as cuts from the glass and abrasions from the seatbelt.

I consider myself extremely lucky right now.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

I would stay away from that personally, I don't have direct experience with that particular car but at 200,000 if that's a stock motor it's going to need to be replaced soonish.

I would say this would be a better use of your money:
http://memphis.craigslist.org/cto/1917619523.html

Especially since you wanted a WRX, but it's a bit far from you. I'm sure you could talk him down on that since he's even posting OBO.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

CharlesM posted:

There's a new Continental that seems cheaper & comparable to the Bridgestone Potenza 960a/s, but I can't remember the model. It's on my Mazda.
The ExtremeContact DWS? For the sizes I'm looking at, the RE960AS is actually cheaper than the DWS, and from the reviews I've read it sounds like they're more geared towards cars that will see frequent snow use in the winter, rather than just a few weekends a year.

With regards to tire size, they don't make the 960as in 185/70/14 (stock for my legacy), so I'm thinking about putting on 15" wheels from another Subaru. 195/60/15 tires are about the same height as what's on there now and what came stock with the turbo wagons. Are there any other wheel/tire sizes I should consider? Will wheel offset be something I'll have to lookout for if their coming off a Subaru?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Bob Log posted:

I would say this would be a better use of your money:
http://memphis.craigslist.org/cto/1917619523.html

Especially since you wanted a WRX, but it's a bit far from you. I'm sure you could talk him down on that since he's even posting OBO.

Wow that is a good deal. Just put the stock airbox on after you get it back. Be sure to go for a test drive as well. Make sure the tranny isn't making any terrible grinding noises. Other than that... Get a turbo back exhaust after you buy it and a tune (At the same time) and enjoy your pretty quick uberu that you picked up for cheap!

Edit: Also check all the fluids: Power steering, Clutch, brake, coolant, oil, tranny, rear diff. And make sure everything is a) properly filled b) not horribly disgusting looking.

Amandyke fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 10, 2010