Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

nm posted:

I hope it is 175

The future is in trains.

Trains filled with tacos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
The only schools on that list you should even be considering are USC/UCLA, and that's only if you have a substantial (>50%) scholarship and would be happy settling for something other than entertainment law (because if you don't have entertainment connections right now, at this very moment, before you start law school, it's not gonna happen for you so deal with it).

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Incredulous Red posted:

Look, if the two options before you were (1) killing yourself, and (2) going to law school, and you had those scores, and asked me which of those two options would lead you to have a better/more fulfilling/happier life, I'd tell you option (1)

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

In unrelated news, I got a 33% raise at my clerkship today, and a shitload more work for this semester. I hadn't met two of the three partners, and after I did they both popped into the third partner's office where I was and went "well this is great, I have a shitload of stuff for you" verbatim, like 2 minutes after each other.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Enigma89 posted:

Yeah I knew I would get a bunch of poo poo. We will see in a few weeks what I end up getting. I'll get the score I need.

Anything other than graduating at the top of your class at Harvard, Yale, and Stanford will get you poo poo from somebody for going to law school.

EDIT: I mean to say "or," not "and," but I like the idea of jaded lawyers demanding you graduate from all three to succeed.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Elotana posted:

The only schools on that list you should even be considering are USC/UCLA, and that's only if you have a substantial (>50%) scholarship and would be happy settling for something other than entertainment law (because if you don't have entertainment connections right now, at this very moment, before you start law school, it's not gonna happen for you so deal with it).
I do have connections and money isn't a problem.

As for the other schools. I have heard really good things about LLS/Pepperdine/UC Hastings. I don't see why I wouldn't want to get in there.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Enigma89 posted:

That must be nice. If you've got the hookup, you should definitely drive taco trains.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Wyatt posted:

That must be nice. If you've got the hookup, you should definitely drive taco trains.

Celebrity taco trucks. Do you know how much entertainment caterers make?!

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Enigma89 posted:

As for the other schools. I have heard really good things about LLS/Pepperdine/UC Hastings. I don't see why I wouldn't want to get in there.

So I guess my question for you is, if a you know a celebrity and a guy who went to a much higher ranked school than you knew the same celebrity, and you both were offering to represent the celebrity at the same price, why wouldn't said celebrity pick the dude who went to Harvard/Yale/Stanford/UCLA/USC and had those alumni connections when compared to you at, say, USD or Pepperdine? I mean unless you want to pull a Deuce Bigalow and take all the clients nobody wants while simultaneously undercutting everyone else's rates

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

Enigma89 posted:

Out of curiosity, if you have both of these, why are you even going to law school? Just go join up with one of the agencies, and go from there.

Entertainment law is, for the most part, boring bullshit with particularly flaky clients.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Mookie posted:

Out of curiosity, if you have both of these, why are you even going to law school? Just go join up with one of the agencies, and go from there.

Entertainment law is, for the most part, boring bullshit with particularly flaky clients.
If I don't get into a top 100 school I will join an agency. But I actually am deeply interested in the law.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Enigma89 posted:

This is not you

I call shenanigans on your mediocre troll of this thread. If this is a real inquiry, consider the fact that your game plan is so laughable that only one person has given you a halfway serious response. Go back to watching Entourage.

edit: make that two

Omerta fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 8, 2010

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

Enigma89 posted:

If I don't get into a top 100 school I will join an agency. But I actually am deeply interested in the law.

So go watch C-Span or something. Being "deeply interested in the law" is one of those bullshit reasons to go to law school that fills crap like admissions brochures but has nothing to do with law school.

Do you like sitting around with 100 other smug, clueless assholes who feel like you should care why they think that the concept of property as a "bundle of sticks" of various rights is bullshit?

IF SO, YOU'LL LOVE LAW SCHOOL!

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Mookie posted:

So go watch C-Span or something. Being "deeply interested in the law" is one of those bullshit reasons to go to law school that fills crap like admissions brochures but has nothing to do with law school.

Do you like sitting around with 100 other smug, clueless assholes who feel like you should care why they think that the concept of property as a "bundle of sticks" of various rights is bullshit?

BUT THE VERSATILITY OF THE LAW DEGREE IS UNMATCHED!!!! This could be you if you have the elite academic credentials to get into a top 100 law school

the national law journal posted:

When Dina Allam graduated last spring from Ohio State University with a joint law and master of business administration degree, she thought the combination would catch the eye of employers who could appreciate a mix of analytical skills and business know-how.

But after months of looking for a nonlawyer job that would put all that education to work and help pay off some of the nearly $85,000 in student loan debt, Allam began to think she'd made a mistake by going the law degree route.

"People don't see the value in the joint degree. They think I'm confused," she said.

In hindsight, Allam said she would have forgone the juris doctor degree and pursued just the MBA. But at the time she started law school, she was convinced that a J.D. diploma could open doors to a wide variety of job options.

"They made it sound like there were so many careers you could go into," said Allam, now a client engagement manager with Wipro Technologies in Columbus, Ohio. "I definitely think all the interviews I had were because I was in business school and not because I had a law degree."

Law schools and placement professionals frequently tout the versatility of a law degree as a path to alternative careers. But even in good economic times, the advantage of a juris doctor degree in landing a job in another field may well be overblown.

With student loan debt at an all-time high and law schools churning out about 44,000 degrees each year, graduates looking for nonlawyer jobs are finding that they often are priced out, overqualified and undervalued.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Mookie posted:

I love law school

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Incredulous Red posted:

So I guess my question for you is, if a you know a celebrity and a guy who went to a much higher ranked school than you knew the same celebrity, and you both were offering to represent the celebrity at the same price, why wouldn't said celebrity pick the dude who went to Harvard/Yale/Stanford/UCLA/USC and had those alumni connections when compared to you at, say, USD or Pepperdine? I mean unless you want to pull a Deuce Bigalow and take all the clients nobody wants while simultaneously undercutting everyone else's rates

lol you know the plot of Deuce Bigelow

It really should be illegal for law schools or whoever to tell you that a law degree will be useful for anything other than a legal career. It is the biggest crock of poo poo but stupid people like me will fall for it and gently caress themselves out of $150,000 and a future. I mean, you're not allowed to sell tylenol by telling people it will cure cancer, why is the other lie legal?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Mookie posted:

the concept of property as a "bundle of sticks" of various rights is bullshit?

law school is for faggots

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Enigma89 posted:

UCLA
USC
UC Hastings
LLS
SCU
USD
Pepperdine

Applications going out asap. If any of you guys know some good entertainment law schools let me know.

If you go to USD you are obligated as a goon to be top 5% and leave for a top 10. We're batting 1.000 with that.

You're still not obligated to get a job.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

lol you know the plot of Deuce Bigelow

I know what its ad campaign was

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Also, I'm watching The Dark Knight and realized what bothered me about the ending: HArvey Dent allegedly went to law school and was a practicing lawyer, and still started raving madly that "it's about what's fair!"

But law school kills any part of you that actually thought the world was fair so that destroyed my ability to suspend my disbelief

gently caress law school

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Enigma89 posted:

It's not. It will be a miracle if I get into USC or UCLA. I am not even going to bother with NYU.

I am really improving a lot on the LSAT though. Since my first practice exam I have improved my score by 13 points.

I was making a joke at the expense of NYU there

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

Phil Moscowitz posted:

law school is for faggots

Quoted for MOTHER FUCKIN' TRUTH

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Hey would a 3.8GPA and 90 percentile LSAT have a shot at a T13 school? I know literally nothing about US law schools other than that there's way too many of them to know or care about so

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Incredulous Red posted:

Also, I'm watching The Dark Knight and realized what bothered me about the ending: HArvey Dent allegedly went to law school and was a practicing lawyer, and still started raving madly that "it's about what's fair!"

But law school kills any part of you that actually thought the world was fair so that destroyed my ability to suspend my disbelief

gently caress law school

Here is my concept of fairness.

"gently caress YOU GIVE ME MY MONEY."

"YOU DON'T GET YOURS UNTIL I GET ALL OF MINE BY PREPPING FOR TRIAL."

"gently caress YOU THEN I HAVE TO PREP FOR TRIAL."

"gently caress YOU."

"gently caress YOU TOO."

*Case settles and everyone gets drunk*

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

terrorist ambulance posted:

Hey would a 3.8GPA and 90 percentile LSAT have a shot at a T13 school? I know literally nothing about US law schools other than that there's way too many of them to know or care about so

Whats the number on that LSAT precious...

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

The Arsteia posted:

Whats the number on that LSAT precious...

I already died on that particular hill it's not me I'm asking for

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

That's a 164, not a "90 percentile LSAT". That's not good, but I suppose its possible.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
No it's an approximation because I can't remember the particular number and "90th percentile" is easier to type than "good but not great I dunno I can't remember"

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

https://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

look at various schools and look at their graphs from the 09-10 admission cycle.

At Cornell and Georgetown (Ranked 13 and 14, respectively), unless you're URM, you're not getting in with a 163(which is the 90th percentile, if I recall).

Edit: Made this easier:

Here is a search for pseudo-you (or your friend, as I see after replying)
http://search.lawschoolnumbers.com/users/jd/?a=su&lsat2=164&lsatR=true&lsat1=162&lgpa1=3.74&lgpa2=3.87&urm=Excluded&workingCycle=0910

This is a search for people with an LSAT between 162 and 164 whose GPA was somewhere between 3.74 and 3.87 (it was a slider, so it's imprecise) , who are not some underrepresented minority.

Click on these people, see that the odds of a T14 admission are 0, and then tell your friend not to go to law school.

Lilosh fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 8, 2010

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Mookie posted:

Quoted for MOTHER FUCKIN' TRUTH

your jap whiskey was garbage

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Your taste in tacos is atrocious.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
^^^^^^
e: BUY MY TACOS

Convo over FB with my husband the other night:

"Law school was a bad idea. I've failed you as a husband."

remote control carnivore fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 8, 2010

Ganon
May 24, 2003
Did he ever end up passing the bar?

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
We'll know in November, I guess. Not that that will help much. I'm trying to get him to move out of California and join me on the glorious taco truck circuit.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Save me jeebus posted:

^^^^^^
e: BUY MY TACOS

What kind you hawking?

And do you hand-griddle the masa?

What kind of salsas are included with an order?

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
At this time, I don't even have the truck, so we're ordering fresh, local, 100% vertically integrated from the corn field to the comal tortillas. Salsa right now include my handmade basic tomato salsa and salsa verde. Still working out the kinks in the hab sauce, El Yucateco is there for now.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

You need a mole sauce. And also al pastor. And buche. Buche is the best.

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

Phil Moscowitz posted:

TRY MY INDIAN WHISKY, THANK YOOOO, COME AGAIN!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Mookie posted:

TRY MY INDIAN WHISKY, THANK YOOOO, COME AGAIN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmACRm0VqiY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Incredulous Red posted:

You need a mole sauce. And also al pastor. And buche. Buche is the best.

Barbacoa, deshebrada, molido, pastor and lengua.