Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

sansuki posted:

Heh, look at this nub. Not knowing anything about Showtime.

Hows it feel to get hit with a +5 post of owning?

I only watch Dexter's DVD releases so it's a forgivable mistake :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

So I just read Start of Darkness the other day. I think there were two pretty big "oh poo poo" moments. One when you realize that Xykon is a whole lot smarter than anyone's been giving him credit for, and one where Right-Eye calls Redcloak Redcloak.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

Neito posted:

So I just read Start of Darkness the other day. I think there were two pretty big "oh poo poo" moments. One when you realize that Xykon is a whole lot smarter than anyone's been giving him credit for, and one where Right-Eye calls Redcloak Redcloak.

I love Start of Darkness and almost hate myself for finding a graphic novel based on a webcomic so great.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
I can't recommend Start of Darkness enough. Not only does it give you pretty god drat important backstory, but its simply an amazing read.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Amused Frog posted:

I love Start of Darkness and almost hate myself for finding a graphic novel based on a webcomic so great.

Why is it any more invalid a graphic novel than, say, Scott Pilgrim? Just because it's also a webcomic? Great is great, no matter what.

Also, I may be a bit late to this party, but after reading SoD, I'm pretty sure that the ritual Tsukiko was studying was the ritual from Redcloak's plan.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Neito posted:

Also, I may be a bit late to this party, but after reading SoD, I'm pretty sure that the ritual Tsukiko was studying was the ritual from Redcloak's plan.
She's a pretty bizarre class to begin with--Mystic Theruge or whatever--does this mean she could cast the thing all by herself? Is this a scheme to get Redcloak out of the picture? Or is she going to cast the Arcane part, in lieu of Xykon?

Seconding that Start of Darkness is an amazing read. My big "oh, poo poo" moment was the sickness that infected Xykon. What a kick in the balls!

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

XkyRauh posted:

She's a pretty bizarre class to begin with--Mystic Theruge or whatever--does this mean she could cast the thing all by herself? Is this a scheme to get Redcloak out of the picture? Or is she going to cast the Arcane part, in lieu of Xykon?

Miss Zombie Fucker is clearly Xykon's lackey. Right now she might just be studying The Ritual because Xykon is curious, but its pretty clear that replacing Redcloak with her is going to at least come up in conversation with Xykon at some point. If that happens Xykon gets control of the Snarl, instead of The Dark One, leading to a Redcloak and Order of the Stick Team-Up.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Tinyn posted:

Miss Zombie Fucker is clearly Xykon's lackey. Right now she might just be studying The Ritual because Xykon is curious, but its pretty clear that replacing Redcloak with her is going to at least come up in conversation with Xykon at some point. If that happens Xykon gets control of the Snarl, instead of The Dark One, leading to a Redcloak and Order of the Stick Team-Up.

Doubtful. The ritual (at least how I read it) seems to put the gate under control of The Dark One, regardless if the divine caster who plays a part is a bearer of the Crimson Mantle or not. Either A) Xykon's going to find out it doesn't let him totally control a god-killing monster and he's going to gently caress Redcloak's poo poo up, or B) He's not going to find out and accidentally complete The Plan, regardless.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Maybe I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that the Order will end up going through one of the gates or at least learning a bit more about the world that was revealed to be beyond them at the end of the last arc. Remember, anything written in crayon is a story and might not have happened the way it was said in Start of Darkness or the main story.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

This page is reading like released classified documents.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

While we're talking about the books, is "On The Origin of PCs" worth picking up?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Neito posted:

While we're talking about the books, is "On The Origin of PCs" worth picking up?

I suppose it gives a bit on Durkan, Roy and IIRC Roy's father but its no where near as good as SoD. I lost my copy awhile ago and haven't felt the urge to get a new one.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Start of Darkness is great.

I feel that I ought to buy the main strip compliation books, but even though there's lots of bonus content they are really expensive.

Fake Edit: I just looked up international shipping on ookoodook. Set of all four books comes to $160 = £100

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

XkyRauh posted:

I think she could do either side, but the ritual requires 2 casters, regardless. So unless there's 2 of her, she'll need either Xykon or Redcloak. Guess which one's more likely.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Sorry to get off topic here, but it looks like the stars have aligned and granted us a new update.

Kinda boring one, though Belkar saves it at the end.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Does being drunk have any effects in combat in 3.5? Because if a nearly-inevitable ballroom blitz breaks out, I wouldn't want to be in front of a drunk archer.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
That won't happen, Tarquin has to condemn Roy and Belkar to death in front of Elan at the games tomorrow.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

DrakePegasus posted:

Does being drunk have any effects in combat in 3.5? Because if a nearly-inevitable ballroom blitz breaks out, I wouldn't want to be in front of a drunk archer.

There were never any officials rules for being drunk, at least not in the main books, but I think most people houseruled it as a bonus to strength and fear defenses, but a penalty to wisdom, intelligence, dexterity, etc.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

DrakePegasus posted:

Not unless you take levels in Drunken Master, I don't think. Each bottle they consume reduces Int and Wisdom by 2, and lets you bump up either Strength or Con by two. It'd be a pretty easy stand-in to have everyone take the negative without reaping the positives like Drunken Masters do.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Cabbit posted:

Not unless you take levels in Drunken Master, I don't think. Each bottle they consume reduces Int and Wisdom by 2, and lets you bump up either Strength or Con by two. It'd be a pretty easy stand-in to have everyone take the negative without reaping the positives like Drunken Masters do.

I played a Drunken Master once. It owned.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

ConfusedUs posted:

I played a Drunken Master once. It owned.

Yeah, I imagine so. You get to down whole bottles of hard liquor in a single move action and turn them into potions of fire breathing, for gently caress's sake.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Every drink you take beyond the first per hour makes you take a Fort save vs it's toxicity. If you fail, you take a -1 to Dex and Wis. If you pass, you're good. Each drink beyond the first that hour applies a -1 penalty to the save, then -2, then -4 and so on. If you reach 0 Wis, you pass out. If you reach 0 Dex, you fall down, but remain in blurry consciousness.

I just read the Arms and Equipment guide on the can yesterday. :3:

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.

Vicissitude posted:

Every drink you take beyond the first per hour makes you take a Fort save vs it's toxicity. If you fail, you take a -1 to Dex and Wis. If you pass, you're good. Each drink beyond the first that hour applies a -1 penalty to the save, then -2, then -4 and so on. If you reach 0 Wis, you pass out. If you reach 0 Dex, you fall down, but remain in blurry consciousness.

I just read the Arms and Equipment guide on the can yesterday. :3:

I have that too, and I was going to post just that :P

In my last campaign, a half-orc barbarian and a human rogue had a drinking contest. Guess who won.

Chumppell
Nov 9, 2007

KOraithER posted:

In my last campaign, a half-orc barbarian and a human rogue had a drinking contest. Guess who won.

The bartender. :rimshot:

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Hot Lead Allergy posted:

The bartender. :rimshot:

Oh lawdy, that made me laugh more than it should. :bravo:

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

KOraithER posted:

A Barbarian's CON would likely win them more of the saving throws, but the penalties to DEX and WIS would hurt more.

The Rogue would lose more of the saves, but could probably take more hits to their DEX before falling down.

I'm actually not sure which is worse off.

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

Umbra Dubium posted:

A Barbarian's CON would likely win them more of the saving throws, but the penalties to DEX and WIS would hurt more.

The Rogue would lose more of the saves, but could probably take more hits to their DEX before falling down.

Dexterity's not going to save you from liver cancer, so the barbarian is the clear favorite.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The rogue has a superior knowledge of debilitating poisons.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Android Blues posted:

Having an intimate familiarity with metallurgy doesn't make you bulletproof.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Cabbit posted:

Having an intimate familiarity with metallurgy doesn't make you bulletproof.

Clearly you don't "get" metallurgy.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Android Blues posted:

Does the rogue plan to poison the barbarian?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Mystic Mongol posted:

Clearly you don't "get" metallurgy.

I laughed way too hard on that one!

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Nuns with Guns posted:

Does the rogue plan to poison the barbarian?

If they're using lead mugs, he won't have too.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

oh hey what's this

Mainly Belkar being Belkar but it wouldn't surprise me if there actually was a way to do the tiger thing.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
A Wizard in a recent campaign I ran made magic arrows for our party archer that would summon wolves after striking a target. But I'm positive that was just a joke about people being gullible. Also drat that update took a long time.

VVV Bonus to throwing stones and using slings. VVV

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 8, 2010

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Is there a long-running joke about halflings with pebbles I'm missing, or am I trying to read too deep into it?

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Neito posted:

Is there a long-running joke about halflings with pebbles I'm missing, or am I trying to read too deep into it?

Halflings have a bonus at throwing stones, and they're generally described as being deadly shots with them.

I wonder if Burlew plays ADOM?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Neito posted:

Halfling Skip-Rock thrower is one of the time honored character optimization builds, where a halfling with nonmagical, specially made rocks can do berzerker class damage at range to multiple targets with touch AC attacks against targets potentially around corners.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Donraj posted:

Halflings have a bonus at throwing stones, and they're generally described as being deadly shots with them.

I wonder if Burlew plays ADOM?

Also there's a prestige class hosted on his site that's the Halfling Rock-Skipper. Basically you get more bonuses to throwing/shooting rocks and also get social bonuses with other halflings. Major bonuses to those of the interested sex as well.

Yes, it is one of the countless kinda cool yet mechanically meh-at-best prestige classes, notable only for the fact that this one was fanmade, as opposed to being a WotC sub-par prestige class (of which there were millions.) Also on the same site is the word-lich, who is like a regular lich only his phylactery is a book which he keeps updated. Also he can edit himself via changing the wording of the book. Also he doesn't count as undead for purposes of turning/smiting/etc. This is far more common: the Utterly Busted Fanmade Prestige Class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Umbra Dubium posted:

Given the fact that the penalty to the saving throw increases exponentially, any bonus to CON will rapidly cease to matter, leaving the Rogue with the only mathematically relevant advantage. Once you're on drink number six, I don't care how much CON your Barbarian has; you've still got a -16 penalty to that Fort check.