Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!

bobkatt013 posted:

His run is collected up to 32 and his run ended at 40 so there needs to be one more trade. This storyline is all about his twin brother . The missing ones are Grant Morrison and Neil Gaiman's that are collected in Rare Cuts and Neil Gaiman's Midnight Days. He also wrote the original graphic novel Pandemonium

Thanks for the info! I absolutely love Hellblazer, I think it's my favorite regular comic. Recently read Midnight Days from the library and completely forgot about that story. Looks like I have a few more things now to save up for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Started reading Lucifer and Unwritten because of this thread, and holy poo poo, Mike Carey is the motherfucking bomb.

Lucifer just has excellent timing so far, like, as soon as I am about to check out for awhile because of horribly depressing poo poo, bam "..I set you over hedgehogs."

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Just finished the first two volumes of Unwritten. Very good stuff. Shades of Promethea and LoEG, which is really my only problem with it. Maybe it's because I've read both of those books recently, but the "living stories" and characters from literature coming alive thing just feels a little rehashed.

Even so, it's a fun book. I was a little apprehensive of it being based on a Harry Potter analogue, but Carey handles the Tommy Taylor sections fairly well.

Looking forward to volume three.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

I almost didn't buy the second Unwritten trade but boy am I glad I did, this series has won me over for the long haul.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Does Y: the last man pick up the pace later on?

I've just finished the third trade and it's kinda not doing it for me.
I don't know if it's the pacing or the storytelling, but I find myself not really caring what happens to these characters.
So does it come into it's own, or is it seven more trades of the same thing?

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

It's more of the same, but I thought 'the same' was great and am buying the deluxe trades so your mileage may vary.

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

It "comes into it's own" from the very start. It just sounds like it isn't the comic for you. If you don't care about the characters after three trades, I'm not sure you ever will.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Well. Guess I need to find another series. I've been really digging both Preacher and Transmetropolitan so far, any reccomandations?

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Scalped is in a realm of its own as far as I'm concerned.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

nosophoros posted:

It's got everything you'd want from a great crime story like sex, violence, betrayal, and corruption. It's also got a fantastic cast of characters who grow more complex as Aaron reveals their decades of secrets to the reader. I can't recommend this book enough; it's grown so much beyond the simple "Sopranos on an Indian reservation" premise.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

nosophoros posted:

A specific image completely turned me onto that series, I can't even remember what issue, but one character looks at Lincoln Red Crow sitting down chained to a rotting elk. I don't know why I was so taken with that.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

A specific image completely turned me onto that series, I can't even remember what issue, but one character looks at Lincoln Red Crow sitting down chained to a rotting elk. I don't know why I was so taken with that.

I had the same reaction. That issue was fantastic.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

I love how Red Crow turned out to be so goddamn compelling. He seemed like such a generic big business evil prick in the first couple issues.

Also, I would buy the poo poo out of an oversized book of these covers.

http://www.comicvine.com/scalped-the-gravel-in-your-guts-part-one/37-139193/

I need a poster of this cover for issue 21 right away.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Just read the most recent DMZ trade, and man, they're really getting dark (which says a lot for this series).

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell
So today we get the first issue of American Vampire that's all Snyder without King. I'm really looking forward to seeing how that turns out.

Also, last issue of Daytripper today. I'm looking forward to reading it, but I'm also depressed that this means no more new Daytripper.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Just finished poring over vol. 1 of Absolute Sandman. drat if this isn't the best comic ever.

But am I a bad Sandman fan if I think that "A Midsummer Night's Dream" wasn't that great? In fact I prefer almost every other one-shot story in the first volume ("Facade" drat near had me in tears). It's neat story, sure, but there's no rising action, no climax. Not sure why it's sometimes called the best single issue of Sandman.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Hatter106 posted:

Just finished poring over vol. 1 of Absolute Sandman. drat if this isn't the best comic ever.

But am I a bad Sandman fan if I think that "A Midsummer Night's Dream" wasn't that great?

If you are, you aren't alone. I agree that it wasn't the best one by any means.

Anyways, be ready for multitudes of people to tell you that Lucifer is better than Sandman based on the first bit there.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Hatter106 posted:

I always thought Ramadan was the universally praised Sandman issue? Either way, #19 is my favorite, but that's also because it's my favorite Shakespearean work too. I think it gets a decent amount of praise for the art as well.

And if you think Sandman is great, you should totally read..

ChairMaster posted:

Anyways, be ready for multitudes of people to tell you that Lucifer is better than Sandman based on the first bit there.

gently caress.

Really though, somehow a lot of the BSSers just jive with Lucifer a bit better than Sandman. I love them both, but I've read Lucifer more times and find myself enjoying it more every time.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

bairfanx posted:

I always thought Ramadan was the universally praised Sandman issue? Either way, #19 is my favorite, but that's also because it's my favorite Shakespearean work too. I think it gets a decent amount of praise for the art as well.

"A Midsummer's Night Dream" won the World Fantasy Award and 19 years hence remains the only comic to do so.

SagatPunisherFanFic
Apr 16, 2009
Sandman is better, but it is really ok to enjoy your Lucifer.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

choobs posted:

"A Midsummer's Night Dream" won the World Fantasy Award and 19 years hence remains the only comic to do so.

I'm well aware. That doesn't make it better, or even regarded as better, considering that after it won, they rewrote the rules so that a comic cannot win the award that Sandman did.

First and only comic winner, now and forever.

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

I picked up The Unwritten Vol. 1 today on the basis of this thread and I found it exciting, but maybe not to the level of hype that you guys are showing. Most of Vol. 1 seemed to be setting up for the main plot so I'm hoping it starts up in the next one.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Go grab the second one and become a believer.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

And even if you still don't care for it after the second TPB, it'll still be worth the purchase for the one-shot with the cursing rabbit alone.

(that got included in the second TPB, didn't it? It better have).

Unwritten is a loving great series. And yes, the first arc does set the stage. Things have begun to open up in a big way.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

UncleMonkey posted:

And even if you still don't care for it after the second TPB, it'll still be worth the purchase for the one-shot with the cursing rabbit alone.

(that got included in the second TPB, didn't it? It better have).

Unwritten is a loving great series. And yes, the first arc does set the stage. Things have begun to open up in a big way.

It's in the second trade paperback, yes, the one that opens up the story something fierce!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

bairfanx posted:

I'm well aware. That doesn't make it better, or even regarded as better, considering that after it won, they rewrote the rules so that a comic cannot win the award that Sandman did.

First and only comic winner, now and forever.

Why did they do that?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
This is just a guess but i can only assume it's because some old person thinks comic books shouldn't count as art.

Wait uh, wikipedia says that they didn't actually change the rules at all and that's just a rumor.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 12, 2010

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

ChairMaster posted:

This is just a guess but i can only assume it's because some old person thinks comic books shouldn't count as art.

Wait uh, wikipedia says that they didn't actually change the rules at all and that's just a rumor.
It's a misleading statement, as Gaiman/Vess won the award for Best Short Story, which they apparently did take comics out of the running for, but allowed them to be considered for the catch-all "Special Award - Professional".

Batman Gothic got a nomination in that category in 1993, and since then WFA has summarily ignored comics, which I think says more about them than comics.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Daytripper stands right now as one of my favorite comic book stories if not my favorite. A truly wonderful story, and ending that I feel will only grow even more meaningful as I continue living.

Needless to say I can't wait to own the trade.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

nosophoros posted:

I almost didn't buy the second Unwritten trade but boy am I glad I did, this series has won me over for the long haul.

Having also recently read the second trade, I'm actually finding myself losing interest... I feel like Carey and Gross did a much more compelling job of storytelling with Lucifer.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

JackDarko posted:

Daytripper stands right now as one of my favorite comic book stories if not my favorite. A truly wonderful story, and ending that I feel will only grow even more meaningful as I continue living.

Needless to say I can't wait to own the trade.
Yeah, I was really choked up throughout the entire final issue. The entire series was so achingly beautiful. I'm definitely going to being getting the HC as well-- everyone should. It's one of the most beautiful and unique comics you'll ever read.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

ChairMaster posted:

Edge & Christian covered it, and while the way I worded it may sound misleading, it's true that no comic will ever win the best short story award. And from what he said, they certainly haven't seemed very fond of comics since.

rotinaj posted:

Why did they do that?
Presumably because comics<>literature. Considering the amount of crap any kind of genre fiction gets from people, it saddens me that they would do something that dickish based on a medium.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

The choose your own adventure issue of Unwritten is really awesome. One of the most unique things I've seen tried in comics, and it's executed really well.

Also, Joe the Barbarian only has one more issue left. I'm eager to see how it ends, but, like Daytripper, I'm really going to miss this book when it ends.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

UncleMonkey posted:

The choose your own adventure issue of Unwritten is really awesome. One of the most unique things I've seen tried in comics, and it's executed really well.

I'm worried how well that will come across in the trade. I always feel awkward reading trades sideways (like that issue in Morrison's X-men run)

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

bairfanx posted:

I'm worried how well that will come across in the trade. I always feel awkward reading trades sideways (like that issue in Morrison's X-men run)
I've actually been thinking a lot about that as well. I agree, I think it'll probably not transfer over all that well. Which is a shame, because it's really a brilliant issue. But yeah, I think a lot of that will get lost in the trade because it'll just be shrunk-down, unwieldy and inconvenient.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I sorta wonder how Joe the Barb would perceived if it wasn't a G-Mo comic. It has been fun to look at I guess, but sort of boring.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
It works for me because I've read that sort of novel my whole life.

I enjoyed Unwritten this week, less for the story aspects, because it only moved the story forward a quarter inch, but for pushing the boundaries of the medium.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Just jumping in to n'th the love for 'I, Zombie', the artwork is gorgeous and I'm enjoying the lazy buildup.

I loved the Sandman run and am interested in Lucifer, does it continue with the same 'feel' or is it more modern/hectic (for lack of a better term)?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

bairfanx posted:

Presumably because comics<>literature. Considering the amount of crap any kind of genre fiction gets from people, it saddens me that they would do something that dickish based on a medium.
It might not be that sinister, the category is basically "best prose short story" and the Sandman issue snuck in. It's true they don't have a comic category, but not wanting to put comics in an awards category doesn't make them "hate" comics. "Prose Short Story" and "Comic Issue" are apples and oranges, and in this case the awards are Apple-centric. Doesn't mean there is a desire to wipe Florida off the map.

I wouldn't want to see Alton Brown up for a Best Actor award at the Emmys, even though I have nothing but love for him. It doesn't mean I don't think cooking shows aren't "television".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

iostream.h posted:

Just jumping in to n'th the love for 'I, Zombie', the artwork is gorgeous and I'm enjoying the lazy buildup.

I loved the Sandman run and am interested in Lucifer, does it continue with the same 'feel' or is it more modern/hectic (for lack of a better term)?

I think Lucifer and Sandman work well together and they both combine to make an extremely rich universe with seemingly limitless possibilities.

Personally I liked Sandman more because through the entire run it keeps you interested while maintaining a lot of it's inherent mysteries, which is a pretty delicate balance. There are so many untold stories when it comes to Sandman, and I think Gaiman is sort of a master at giving you great stories while withholding the stories you really want to hear.

What is the story with Delight turning into Delirium? How did the original Despair die? What happened between Dream and the woman who created The Land? Why did Death stop being such a cold hearted bitch? The world Gaiman writes about seems much more mysterious and richer for keeping a lot of this stuff a secret. Lucifer doesn't really hold a lot of mystery, and everything held back is eventually revealed so the stories don't really stick in the back of my mind the way some stories in Sandman do. (Full disclosure: I'm only up to book 9 in Lucifer, so maybe that changes.)

That being said, Lucifer is pretty drat great and fits well with Sandman, and my monocle wouldn't fall off and shatter if someone said Lucifer was superior.

ParliamentOfDogs fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 19, 2010

• Locked thread