Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

DougieC posted:

I think that overall the video games are a highlight of Star Wars media, perhaps the highlight.

I was specifically talking about the amazing Starkiller, God of the Force and instigator of all things in the Star Wars universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clemen
Jul 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I was specifically talking about the amazing Starkiller, God of the Force and instigator of all things in the Star Wars universe.

Because of this thread I brought out my old gamecube and ordered Rogue Leader off ebay. I cant wait. :3

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
First time I watched Star Wars was being bought to watch the movies for my 9th birthday in 96 with my old man down at one of the decomissioned cinemas in Plymouth.

God it was amazing. I truly miss the nostalgia of the first viewing. Everything was better when you were a kid though.

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.

Clemen posted:

Because of this thread I brought out my old gamecube and ordered Rogue Leader off ebay. I cant wait. :3

I was given a Wii as a wedding present (sorry, my wife and i were given it, but you know....) and I immediately bought both Rogue Leader games off ebay to play on it.

I was really shocked at how badly designed the whole thing was. Principally, the radar is really badly designed and is very hard to make sense of. You can't follow a Tie Fighter that flashes past you by following it on your radar like you can in X-Wing or gently caress even Battlefront II. So if you lose sight of the enemy you're following you basically have to look all around you to find it again.
And the graphics aren't sharp enough to be able to pick out enemy fighters a long way away, so you have to hold down a button to bring up the targeting computer, which superimposes a purple filter on the screen that highlights targets. Except you can't actually do anything whilst looking through the targeting screen.

And then the later stages when I'm dying I'm thinking to myself "this game would be ace and less tedious if it only had the interface of a game made ten years previously, which is a bad sign.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

WampaLord posted:

It's more than that, he INVENTED the EU in essence. And it wasn't so much Lucasfilm that made that decision, it was when the license passed from Bantem to Del Rey Books, that Del Rey basically said "gently caress all the old authors, we're doing whatever we want with your poo poo!"

I'll post another story or two later, but basically, the other panel I went to was "Adult Themes in Star Wars." Extrapolate from there.

I, for one, would love to hear as many stories as you feel like posting, on either of the threads you went to. The Zahn, Stackpole, Anderson to hear there thoughts on the EU, and the other one out of morbid curiosity about what they could have possible had to talk about.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
Might as well post this thing. It's been up in Wampa's KotOR thread so it should probably be here as well. Cue the HK- Fanboys.

Nemesis of Moles posted:

when was the first time you watched star wars?
I saw them first in '97 when the first special editions were in the cinemas, and I absolutely loving loved them. I did Halloween as RotJ Luke Skywaker, and my brother was Han Solo. We got the VHS's with the commentary for christmas and they got watched to destruction.

Clemen posted:

Speaking of older StarWars games, I have an old CD for X-wing, but no way to run it.

Does anyone know of a way to make it work with XP? I know its over a decade old, will look like crap, and likely won't run without a joystick, but damnit! It was beautiful and I want to play it!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

DougieC posted:

I was given a Wii as a wedding present (sorry, my wife and i were given it, but you know....) and I immediately bought both Rogue Leader games off ebay to play on it.

I was really shocked at how badly designed the whole thing was.

And then the later stages when I'm dying I'm thinking to myself "this game would be ace and less tedious if it only had the interface of a game made ten years previously, which is a bad sign.

Forgive me for sounding like "that guy" for a second but it's probably because you're expecting them to be the console iterations of the X-Wing or Tie Fighter series, and that's completely the wrong way to go about playing them.

Rouge Squadron is more like Star Fox or the Ace Combat series than the X-Wing/Tie Series. It's arcadey as gently caress and basically throws everything that you learned from the sim series out the window. I love the poo poo out of the PC X-wing/Tie Fighter games, but they are nothing like Rogue Squadron and if you're looking for a similar game in the Rogue Squadron series, you will definitely be disappointed.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

One of the more upsetting moments of my childhood: Family too poor or busy working for needed money so we couldn't watching ESB or ROTJ together.

We got together to watch The Phantom Menace when it came out in the cinema though. But it wasn't the same.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Rogue Squadron games are at their finest when you use the cheat for infinite lifes (IGIVEUP) and use a TIE. Its good simple arcade fun.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

when was the first time you watched star wars?
When I was 8, I had received the VHS trilogy set as a Christmas present. My uncle, who is a huge movie buff, immediately started up ESB; leaving me to try and figure who everyone was and why they were living on a planet made out of snow.

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

This thread spends way too long getting all angry at the EU, being pissed off at horrible video games and cartoons. Lets just for a moment kick back and remember the three movies we all really love :unsmith: when was the first time you watched star wars?

Mine was when I was like, 8 or 9. We borrowed the tapes (in that sweet box with Vader's face on it) from a friend and I watched all three over 2 nights. I loved them at the time, even though I guess they were the ones that Lucas had added loads of poo poo into (and included a mini-documentary at the start of each one explaining where he'd added poo poo). I really loved Star Wars from that point on, I even watched Phantom Menace and "enjoyed" it. I just couldn't do it with Clone wars.

since then I've watched those three movies hundreds of times. Watched all their influences (Hidden Fortress) and they still hold a special place for me, probably still one of my favourite movie series.
Dad sat me down and had me watch the trilogy on VHS before the re-release came out, so I was about nine or ten.

I will never forgive Dad for doing this, because I am and always have been a music nerd (started studying/playing classical music when I was four). I remember sitting there on the sofa, all ready to watch dad's favorite movie. The LucasArts logo fades away. "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." appears on the screen, and then John Williams's theme proceeded to blow my brain out the back of my head. That is what I remember of my first viewing: that sudden crash of horns and the sudden understanding that I had never heard anything like this in a film before. And that was at home watching a VHS on my parent's little TV with crappy built-in speakers; I can't even imagine hearing that for the first time in movie theater surround-sound glory.

The movies themselves are a lot of fun and all, but Williams's score elevates it to pure awesome.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

His music was the only thing that actually tried to be Star Wars in the prequals.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Mister_Eel posted:

Ok that's it.

http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-07/swfu-at-at-walker.html

I'm so sick of these Star Wars.
This. This one image sums up every single thing I loathe about TFU, and why I wish it were explicitly declared to be Infinities.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

TorpedoFish posted:

I can't even imagine hearing that for the first time in movie theater surround-sound glory.
Every time I hear it, I am flashed back to the old Cinema in Blackpool where I first heard it. It was incredible, and really set the movie up for how good it was. When I was learning the clarinet in primary school it was one of the first pieces I learned.

I'm very sorry you didn't get to hear it like that. :(

On music: The best thing in the entire trilogy for me was the flute song over the celebrations on Endor at the end of RotJ. To this day I can't help but love that song. After the theme has been tainted by the prequels, it is now the best thing I have to remind me of the OT's awesomeness.

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

Boondock Saint posted:

Forgive me for sounding like "that guy" for a second but it's probably because you're expecting them to be the console iterations of the X-Wing or Tie Fighter series, and that's completely the wrong way to go about playing them.

Rouge Squadron is more like Star Fox or the Ace Combat series than the X-Wing/Tie Series. It's arcadey as gently caress and basically throws everything that you learned from the sim series out the window. I love the poo poo out of the PC X-wing/Tie Fighter games, but they are nothing like Rogue Squadron and if you're looking for a similar game in the Rogue Squadron series, you will definitely be disappointed.

No, I knew what to expect in part because I had played the original Rogue Squadron on PC, and I had played its sequels in the past. All I'm complaining about is that the radar in the game is completely unhelpful when it comes to the dogfighting aspect of the game. Even Battlefront II (also "arcadey as gently caress") had arrows around the side of the screen representing the direction of nearby enemies. When it comes to playing this game I basically have to look up down left right and all over until I happen upon an enemy, which gets tedious.

It's also a problem on some land missions. There's one set in a city with lots of canyons that contain generators you have to blow up, but even though they're marked on your radar, the degree of accuracy is such that you can't use it to guide yourself even into the right canyon, which lead to tedium of going down each canyon (whilst being chased by enemy fighters and shot at by turbolasers) hoping you'll stumble upon your orbjective.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
Rogue Leader sucks compared to the other Rogue games. They even managed to squeeze the fun out of like the 7 space missions they put in there.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

DougieC posted:

Radar sucks.

Yeah, you have a valid criticism then. The radar was never all that great I agree, but I had a blast with the first three games (Battle for Naboo included). Rebel Strike wasn't horrible, but it was a slight let down.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

I, for one, would love to hear as many stories as you feel like posting, on either of the threads you went to. The Zahn, Stackpole, Anderson to hear there thoughts on the EU, and the other one out of morbid curiosity about what they could have possible had to talk about.

Well who am I to deny a Grand Admiral? I would have poster earlier, but my cable modem died and I just replaced it.

The author panel was pretty sweet, and the highlight of the con for me. Zahn, Stackpole and KJA were all very interesting with their stories. They talked about getting into writing Star Wars, their thoughts on the prequels, discussed the characters they had created (apparently Anderson had no input into Daala's first name), etc.

The "Adult Themes in Star Wars" was basically everyone taking Star Wars stuff and making it raunchy. Examples - Ewok blowjobs, slash fic discussions, using Force Powers during sex, you get the idea. It was actually pretty funny for the most part, and Aaron Allston was there on the panel along with the two hosts. He didn't chime in a ton, but when he did, it was usually to crack a good joke. It was immature and kind of awkward at times, but I laughed a lot as did everyone else.

Here is a pic of the author panel. From left to right we have Timothy Zahn, Michael Stackpole, Kevin J. Anderson, Rebecca Moesta and A.C. Crispin.

Edit:

Chairman Capone posted:

Also, WampaLord, how did KJA seem while being on that panel with the two far superior authors?

He was totally fine, I think they all were friends basically because they told several stories of collaborating with certain character and ideas and working together to keep the continuity of each other's novels. For example, Stackpole talked about having to manage Corran Horn with the Jedi Academy series and how he worked with Anderson on finding ways to make it fit. So it's not like Anderson seemed jealous or hateful of them in any way.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 8, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
You should have asked them their opinion on Traviss.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

With all this talk of Rogue Leader, which I have...and it's predecessor, on their original systems.

I'm burnt out right now and want to do some escapism. Is it worth it to pay $6 for Rebel Strike(the Third Rogue game). It's used at a local shop, I remember renting it and playing the "drive through the forest on a speeder" level, crashing repeatedly, and giving up.

So: Worth the revisit at that price? I really just want more Rogue Squadron/Leader action. The two player Rogue/Leader part would be useful too, since I could get (read: force) my girl to play some with me. (she plays Lego Star Wars)

Also: Wraith Squadron DOES rock. Thanks for that suggestions guys. I finished up Iron Fist and am moving on, but I took a break to read I, Jedi (which was good) in-between. Can't wait for the last, but I also don't want the Rogue series to end...so...bittersweet.

Not A Bear
Nov 4, 2009
I didn't realise that A.C Crispin was a woman :ohdear:

She should write some more Star Wars books already, the Han Solo trilogy was really good, maybe uh some more Lando books?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Not A Bear posted:

I didn't realise that A.C Crispin was a woman :ohdear:

She should write some more Star Wars books already, the Han Solo trilogy was really good, maybe uh some more Lando books?

She actually just finished a prequel book to Pirates of the Caribbean, detailing Jack Sparrow's past. It comes out the same week as the new movie with him sometime in 2011, though she stressed that they are NOT RELATED in any way in terms of plot and whatnot.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You should have asked them their opinion on Traviss.

I didn't want to get the evil eye:

from 5 people at once

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Bene Elim posted:

Speaking of older StarWars games, I have an old CD for X-wing, but no way to run it.

Does anyone know of a way to make it work with XP? I know its over a decade old, will look like crap, and likely won't run without a joystick, but damnit! It was beautiful and I want to play it!
Dosbox. I've yet to find a good number of cycles to run it at on my desktop, and it's loving frustrating that it runs perfectly on my MacBook Pro which has no joystick support.

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

WampaLord posted:

The "Adult Themes in Star Wars" was basically everyone taking Star Wars stuff and making it raunchy. Examples - Ewok blowjobs, slash fic discussions, using Force Powers during sex, you get the idea.

This sounds doubly creepy by virtue of KJA being sat next to his wife.
The kinky roleplay they no doubt indulge in is not a pretty image.

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

McGann posted:

Also: Wraith Squadron DOES rock. Thanks for that suggestions guys. I finished up Iron Fist and am moving on, but I took a break to read I, Jedi (which was good) in-between. Can't wait for the last, but I also don't want the Rogue series to end...so...bittersweet.

Be content with the foreknowledge that it arguably saves its best for last.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

McGann posted:

With all this talk of Rogue Leader, which I have...and it's predecessor, on their original systems.

I'm burnt out right now and want to do some escapism. Is it worth it to pay $6 for Rebel Strike(the Third Rogue game). It's used at a local shop, I remember renting it and playing the "drive through the forest on a speeder" level, crashing repeatedly, and giving up.

So: Worth the revisit at that price? I really just want more Rogue Squadron/Leader action. The two player Rogue/Leader part would be useful too, since I could get (read: force) my girl to play some with me. (she plays Lego Star Wars)

For six bucks it's totally worth it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

DougieC posted:

This sounds doubly creepy by virtue of KJA being sat next to his wife.
The kinky roleplay they no doubt indulge in is not a pretty image.

No, at the adult themes panel it was just Allston and two fans hosting. Zahn was supposed to be there, but his voice gave out :(

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

WampaLord posted:

Zahn was supposed to be there, but his voice gave out :(

Or he decided it would be loving creepy, and made up an excuse.

Thanks for the recap! Love the picture. Stackpole seems to have lost some weight since the last time I saw him.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It'd be funny if a big time Dune fan walked up to shake KJA's hand, and just emptied a clip into his stomach.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

DougieC posted:

Actually, TFN seems pretty responsibly moderated at the moment. The dissatisfaction with the series, and also with Traviss, runs all the way to the top mods like Havac who let it run provided it's on-topic in the thread. In fact, the only moderation that I've seen occur recently has been in posts by pro-Traviss cretins (when Robimus turned to personal snipes after overwhelmingly failing to offer good defense of her works).

I think a good portion of TFN lit forum's active membership consider LOTF the worst thing to ever happen the the EU, and can articulate it without stepping over the boundaries of fair criticism.

Really? Wow, that is a pretty big change of culture than from when I was on TFN. Back then I remember Havac actually being the main pro-Traviss mod. I think he actually once banned me for voicing my irritations with Traviss. Funny to see that LOTF was so bad that it changed people's opinions so much (although I also remember TFN posters continually trying to look at LOTF with rose-colored glasses and say how "it will all make sense in the end, there's no way all these loose plot threads will be kept dangling at the end of the series!" long after they should have).

WampaLord posted:

Edit:

He was totally fine, I think they all were friends basically because they told several stories of collaborating with certain character and ideas and working together to keep the continuity of each other's novels. For example, Stackpole talked about having to manage Corran Horn with the Jedi Academy series and how he worked with Anderson on finding ways to make it fit. So it's not like Anderson seemed jealous or hateful of them in any way.

What the gently caress is "Her Universe"?

I know that Zahn also worked with KJA on Pellaeon's character when KJA used him in Darksaber. But I'm kind of surprised that AC Crispin was there, after she wrote the Han Solo books didn't she have some kind of falling out with Lucasfilm? Maybe I'm just misremembering. Also to be honest I would rather read KJA's Star Wars novels (including his Young Jedi Academy stuff) a thousand times over any of his Dune works.

I will admit that I have enjoyed some of KJA's stand-alone (ie non-tie-in) works, although I haven't read that big space opera series of his so maybe that is also terrible.

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

Really? Wow, that is a pretty big change of culture than from when I was on TFN. Back then I remember Havac actually being the main pro-Traviss mod. I think he actually once banned me for voicing my irritations with Traviss. Funny to see that LOTF was so bad that it changed people's opinions so much (although I also remember TFN posters continually trying to look at LOTF with rose-colored glasses and say how "it will all make sense in the end, there's no way all these loose plot threads will be kept dangling at the end of the series!" long after they should have).

Times definitely change, then. Here is his review of Imperial Commando

Havac posted:

Uaaaaaaaaauuuugh.

I just don't know where to start. So I'll have to be scattershot about this. One, the romance. Good god, the romance. I've got nothing against romance. Love to see a little splash of romance; it can do a storyline wonders. It's missing from the current post-ROTJ EU; we've got settled couples and no fiery spark of romance establishing itself. But good gonk, not a single woman in this book can resist a hunky manly Mandalorian soldier. We go through the entire book, no hint, but at the end, "Oh, yeah, Ruu Skirata is totally into that one commando from Yayax Squad we never really see." Why? Because. Corr talks with Jilka for one minute, and she's into him. Why? Because we can't allow conflict in these complexity-phobic books; Jilka, the one person at Kyrimorut who really doesn't want to be there, the woman who basically got kidnapped, the woman who could add some tension and interest, falls for a clone boy and everything's nice now. Ny Vollen is into Skirata. Why? Because no woman of age can resist his grandfatherly charm, devotion to his children, murderous ways, and raging hypocrisy. Uthan, of all people, gets all hot and heavy with that dashing, ruggedly handsome, brilliant, and charmingly cynical Ymmij Gilamar fellow! Because they're both doctors, see, and he's got ARMOR! The wives are in the kitchen, and the women are falling for those rugged Mando men. Seriously, there's not a single woman in the entire story who is not involved with a clone. The only ones who don't get paired up are Kina Ha and Scout. And Arla, but she's insane, so she doesn't count. Next book, though, once she's cured, money says she hooks up with Jusik. Money.

It's an up-armored Twilight. Except, instead of sparkly vampire skin, it's sparkly armor. Right down to the random sports-bonding scene. I suppose the Mormons do identify with Jews.

Speaking of Jusik, he's a bitter, hypocritical, despicable asshat. Just like Kal. He saves Zey, then tells Skirata he knows the right thing to have done was to push him out an airlock. He's lost the slightest thing resembling a moral compass, yet he remains incredibly smug and self-satisfied that he's the good guy and the Jedi are evil.

And, boy, is the Jedi-are-evil shtick laid on with a trowel here. You'd think it would be less jarring in a dark times book about Imperials; it's more jarring, because it's so far overdone. It's the worst yet for sheer petty, illogical, counterfactual venom. There's an epigraph of Kina Ha explaining why Etain was the GREATEST AND TRUEST JEDI EVER because she threw herself in the way to save a man she didn't know. Imperial Commando isn't a train; it's a lollercoaster.

Speaking of lols and anti-Jedi sentiment, Holy Loly Roly is the most annoying character ever. He's a giant anti-Force-user bigot, which makes him a vaguely heroic figure to everyone in the book. This is because his family comes from Dromuund Kaas, where they were oppressed by the Prophets of the Dark Side (10 points for a POTDS reference; -100 points for it making no sense, and -100 more for being used solely in service of the book's universal and tiresome pursuit of simplistic 1-D psychological-trauma explanations for every single person's personality and actions, rather than making them interesting characters). He's a loathsome, tiresome caricature in the worst Traviss tradition, and he brings every part of the book he's in down with his over-the-top forbidden-wordiness.

I'm fairly uncomfortable with how incredibly racist the main characters are, and how comfortable the book is with that. It's like "Aww, Archie Bunker you hilarious old curmudgeon"-level with its attitude to Kal's and everyone else's rabid hatred of Jedi and Kaminoans, except they're not spouting ignorant, impotent, and not particularly vicious stereotypes; they're out there wearing sheets burning crosses in people's yards. But because they find one or two they think are "Pretty OK for a ______, since they're not like all the other ______s, the bad ______s" they're really not so bad.

The potshot at Denning is just petty, unprofessional, and ridiculous. I'm amazed it got through editing, and I was vaguely embarrassed to read it. Not for me; for her.

So, the mythosaur skeleton isn't a skeleton; it's an oversized replica built as a tourist-trap amusement park, and sold to the Imperials for huge money on claims it's a sacred temple because lol Mandoz are awesome. Traviss, you really don't need to aggressively retcon every single aspect of the EU about Mandalorians you don't like. Accept it's a weird place; succumb to its quirky charm. The person who doesn't get the joke and stomps around angry shouting at the joker is the one who comes off foolish.

Traviss needs to stop mistaking conversation for plot. She was so good about this in No Prisoners, but she's backslid to as bad as she's ever been. Nothing happens in 501st. Nothing. After a whole book of thinking about it, Darman and Niner don't escape. After a whole book of worrying about her, Arla isn't cured. After a whole plotline of wondering what to do with them and trying to shove them off on Altis, the Jedi are all still there at the end of the book. After a whole book of "Hey you old people get married" Ny and Kal haven't decided if they're into each other one way or the other. It's endless pages of Kal and his gang sitting around talking. And the actual Imperial Commando plotline is no better; it's about three missions with little actual action that serve solely as backdrops to Niner and Darman's angsting. It's not a plot; it's a disjointed mess desperately lying to you saying "I'm a plot" and knowing you're not buying it.

I'm pretty sure suicide isn't supposed to have me rolling my eyes.

Gibad was a terrible decision. Like a month after the declaration of Empire, they're going in and wiping out all life on a dissenting planet with a plague, and then bragging about it on the holonet and how the entire planet had it coming to them because one person from the planet engineered a disease for the Seppies. I mean, I realize it gave us some heavy-handed trauma for Uthan to moan about and never actually use to lead to anything even remotely interesting (can't have that), but this is just stupid. This is the Empire ABY, not twenty years BBY. And, of course, Uthan wants to wipe out Coruscant in revenge, and no one raises a moral peep, because it's okay to eliminate an entire innocent world to get back at Palpatine (oh, wait, "Palps" -- let's leave the internet shorthand on the internet, huh? Gonkdammit), since all those people on it are bastards anyway. I realize Traviss has a very . . . dyspeptic view of humanity, but really, I don't care. It does not improve the book.

Why is Palpatine spouting nonsense about taking over the galaxy to his secretary droid? That's just remarkably stupid. I feel dumber having even considered the idea that such a line could be written.

It's really hard to write books in a fictional universe when you actively reject the entire setting. See, the setting says, you have to train people as Jedi because untrained Force sensitives are dangerous. Traviss says, no, untrained Force sensitives are absolutely harmless, and it's only those pesky Jedi and their training that puts the galaxy in danger. The setting says, the Jedi are good folks who treat the clones well, and only accepted the army because they had to save the Republic. Traviss says, the Jedi are evil exploitative conscienceless bastards who don't care about the clones, and they're all reprehensible, and any Jedi who got shot had it coming to them, and the good Jedi know that. The problem is, she's not interested in the fictional framework; in maintaining the setting. She's not even interested in subverting the setting within the framework of the setting. She's interested in tearing it down wholesale and building a new setting saying how everything you knew was wrong. This is really not an attitude that works in franchise fiction.

I'm sure I'm missing stuff, but it ain't positive stuff. I, for perhaps the first time ever, have absolutely nothing positive to say about a book. I can't think of a thing. 1.2. And the .2 is for not ruining Scout. Which is not the same as a positive; it's merely the absence of a negative. I am astounded by how thoroughly bad this book is. There are books I despise more. There are no books more unmitigatedly, thoroughly, and consistently awful, though.

So whilst he may have been a fan and a censor at some stage, he clearly found IC to be his least favourite book ever, and can spot that Traviss's style isn't the so-called "reasonable to question preconceptions" strategy the simpleminded commend her for, but is instead fallacious and incredibly dumb.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Twilight with sparkly armor is the best way to describe Traviss's books.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

What the gently caress is "Her Universe"?

Some Star Wars clothing line for women that was a sponsor for all the Star Wars panels.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Twilight with sparkly armor is the best way to describe Traviss's books.

Didn't I say that special forces characters in rightwing wingnut nutjob fiction are basically the equivalent of vampires for the Twilight crowd?

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

astr0man posted:

Looked back a few pages and didn't see this posted - Ole Miss apparently actually tried to make Admiral Ackbar their official school mascot. Here's the ESPN commercial about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7ljrGXktR4

Jeez, I had to stifle laughter as I pictured a play specifically sculpted to cause the opposing QB to yell "It's a trap!" before getting sacked.

Has anyone taken a stab at rewriting the prequels so it keeps GL's vision/intent but doesn't suck, things make sense, and actually handles things in an adult manner?

Drighton fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 8, 2010

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Throb Robinson posted:

Rogue Leader sucks compared to the other Rogue games. They even managed to squeeze the fun out of like the 7 space missions they put in there.
You're thinking of Rebel Strike. Rogue Leader was the middle one with the awesome movie battles.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Casimir Radon posted:

It'd be funny if a big time Dune fan walked up to shake KJA's hand, and just emptied a clip into his stomach.

I have changed the combination to the lock on my diary. And it was just going to be a slap in the face anyway.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Flagrant Abuse posted:

You're thinking of Rebel Strike. Rogue Leader was the middle one with the awesome movie battles.

They had their pros and cons. Strike actually had a story but was really easy and with super lovely on-foot sections, Leader had the coolest missions but was punishingly hard (gently caress the Death Star 2 run, gently caress it so hard).

I mean drat I had gold medals in every N64 Rogue Squadron mission but could barely get anything above a bronze in Rogue Leader.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

mllaneza posted:

I have changed the combination to the lock on my diary. And it was just going to be a slap in the face anyway.
Slapped by hallow points.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Der Luftwaffle posted:

They had their pros and cons. Strike actually had a story but was really easy and with super lovely on-foot sections, Leader had the coolest missions but was punishingly hard (gently caress the Death Star 2 run, gently caress it so hard).

I mean drat I had gold medals in every N64 Rogue Squadron mission but could barely get anything above a bronze in Rogue Leader.

N64 Rogue Squadron was also fairly underwhelming, easy and straightforward though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Duckman2008 posted:

N64 Rogue Squadron was also fairly underwhelming, easy and straightforward though.

True fans played Rogue Squadron 3D! on PC with a joystick.