Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
tacochat 4 eva

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Taco train

Booze train

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Do the torts textbooks finally have a case to replace Byrne v. Boadle?

The Daily Beast posted:

ELO's Mike Edwards Killed by Hay Bale

Electric Light Orchestra’s Mike Edwards was killed in a freak accident when a hay bale broke loose from a tractor and rolled onto a road, where it crushed the van Edwards was driving in Devon, England on Friday. The 1970s British rock star died instantly upon impact with the 1,300-pound bale. Police identified Edwards using YouTube clips. Friends remembered Edwards as “simply the nicest guy and a brilliant musician.”

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
wanna ride those trains

Neko Sou
Jan 24, 2006
Scarved Wonder
I was talking to a classmate at lunch today and she told a story about she'd accidentally offended a family law lawyer she had been working for by saying "I never want to be one of those attorneys who only make 40k" to which the attorney said "I only make 40k.". I told her we'd be lucky to make 40k in this economy and she tried to point me to the school's website where it showed amazing salaries for UC students but the graph isn't showing up. I tried to show her some of the stuff in the OP but she just kept saying "no no, that's national, this one was for our school". We asked a passing 3L about job prospects and salaries and he pretty much agreed with what I was saying but how can I convince her these graphics and statistics are inflated/misleading across the board? I keep getting sad because I thought we all knew what we were getting into but there are so many people who think they have a future in corporate law getting 100k+ from University of Cincinnati. :smith: I am happy to be here but I'm not kidding myself about the job market. I'm sure maybe like 3 people will get a biglaw job but people are still actively turning their noses up at 40k. There are going to be so many sad people around here at OCI next fall.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Neko Sou posted:

I was talking to a classmate at lunch today and she told a story about she'd accidentally offended a family law lawyer she had been working for by saying "I never want to be one of those attorneys who only make 40k" to which the attorney said "I only make 40k.". I told her we'd be lucky to make 40k in this economy and she tried to point me to the school's website where it showed amazing salaries for UC students but the graph isn't showing up. I tried to show her some of the stuff in the OP but she just kept saying "no no, that's national, this one was for our school". We asked a passing 3L about job prospects and salaries and he pretty much agreed with what I was saying but how can I convince her these graphics and statistics are inflated/misleading across the board? I keep getting sad because I thought we all knew what we were getting into but there are so many people who think they have a future in corporate law getting 100k+ from University of Cincinnati. :smith: I am happy to be here but I'm not kidding myself about the job market. I'm sure maybe like 3 people will get a biglaw job but people are still actively turning their noses up at 40k. There are going to be so many sad people around here at OCI next fall.

Where do most of OCI students go get jobs afterwards? Can Cincinnati really offer that many jobs? Not to troll but I always thought Cincinnati was a lovely little city.

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Neko Sou posted:

welcome to the legal profession my friend

Neko Sou
Jan 24, 2006
Scarved Wonder

Enigma89 posted:

Where do most of OCI students go get jobs afterwards? Can Cincinnati really offer that many jobs? Not to troll but I always thought Cincinnati was a lovely little city.

Most of us will stay around Ohio or the midwest in general. I thought Cincinnati had a pretty good-sized legal market (Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland being the big ones I guess) but I was hoping to go back to Dayton anyway, which is actually a lovely little city. I have an externship with a federal judge in Dayton next summer and he's been telling me he wants to introduce me to one of the domestic relations judges, so I am a little more hopeful since I have some good connections going and I won't have any debt and I've not met a lot of people who are interested in family law. At the very least I won't die alone and penniless :shobon:.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Enigma89 posted:

I do have connections and money isn't a problem.

As for the other schools. I have heard really good things about LLS/Pepperdine/UC Hastings. I don't see why I wouldn't want to get in there.

As others have hinted at, "Entertainment Law" is pretty much doing regular transactional law for clients who happen to be in the entertainment business rather than in the financial or general business sectors. Any school hinting that they are specializing in entertainment law is trying to make up for the fact that they probably do not have good placement rates at all the top AmLaw 100 firms from which the large entertainment corporations and the entertainment law boutique firms do all their recruiting.

The secret to becoming an entertainment lawyer is to do as well as you can, get into the best firm possible, and do your best to maintain your connections even though you'll be spending the better part of 3 years out of "the biz." Hopefully by the time you have graduated, all of your connections are still there.

But seriously, just go into an agency now because all the law degree is going to do is, at best, track you into a firm. When people from the business look at your skill set, they'll go, "well, maybe you can become an agent."

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

University of British Columbia should have a good entertainment law program because don't they film a bunch of TV shows up there?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 1, 2016

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
I am going to go to UC Davis School of Law because isn't that where hollywood is?

I want to be Jerry Macguire, but a lawyer, and with a pissant actress instead of a football player.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Gadamer posted:

Did you read the post before yours?

Sure did, but how does that apply to Canada? Canada is the land of opportunity now that America is over. I bet if you went to UBC you could have Richard Dean Anderson as your client within a week.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

billion dollar bitch posted:

I am going to go to UC Davis School of Law because isn't that where hollywood is?

I want to be Jerry Macguire, but a lawyer, and with a pissant actress instead of a football player.
Also good for civil rights law because MLK went there.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'd give anything to represent Zap Rowsdower

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Incredulous Red posted:

Sure did, but how does that apply to Canada? Canada is the land of opportunity now that America is over. I bet if you went to UBC you could have Richard Dean Anderson as your client within a week.

he's gotten fat and lazy since he quit SG-1 I think :smith:

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'd give anything to represent Zap Rowsdower

That's literally every client outside of our major cities though

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Draile posted:

oh god dammit

drat iiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

content: Did you hear about the playwright whose play was plagiarized in very small increments, she was Nichols and dimed

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

also got a first-edition copy actually in the mail of the hints on being a litigator book for $10 hell yeah

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Sounds like a magical place...

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

evilweasel posted:

he's gotten fat and lazy since he quit SG-1 I think :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aTnhO5b8zk

I think Christopher Judge is going to need legal defense sometime in his future

Incredulous Red fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 8, 2010

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I'm going into cultist fighting law.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

Draile posted:

Tangentially related, After reading this, I just accidentally turned a few pages too far in my Torts book, and we're reading Byrne v. Boadle for class on Friday.

I wonder what else this thread can predict about my 1L classes! (Their lack of usefulness to becoming a lawyer? Arbitrary grading? Professors who worship at the altar of Socratic instruction?)

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Mookie posted:

It always freaked me out that Scientology managed to litigate the IRS to a standstill.

I wonder which firms they use.

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Dodgers Baseball America #1 Embarrassment Prospect

Save me jeebus posted:

At this time, I don't even have the truck, so we're ordering fresh, local, 100% vertically integrated from the corn field to the comal tortillas. Salsa right now include my handmade basic tomato salsa and salsa verde. Still working out the kinks in the hab sauce, El Yucateco is there for now.

Are you for real about the taco truck? There's a massive oversaturation of food trucks in Los Angeles these days.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Mookie posted:

Cultist defense is where it's at. Those guys are loaded.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

joat mon posted:

Don't drink the Kool-Aid though. All beverages on the compound are automatically suspect.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

yadayadayada posted:

Are you for real about the taco truck? There's a massive oversaturation of food trucks in Los Angeles these days.

I'm not in Los Angeles. :) Here, food trucks are much less common. In any case, it will be a while before I can afford it, as I'm running a cash operation and I'm only in a few places right now. I have to ease into it slowly, since I still need a day job.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

joat mon posted:

It requires prestige too! The People's Temple's in-house counsel graduated from Stanford Law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Stoen

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Enigma89 posted:

UCLA
USC
UC Hastings
LLS
SCU
USD
Pepperdine

Applications going out asap. If any of you guys know some good entertainment law schools let me know.

As everyone has told you I'm sure, specialization is poo poo. I'm still a wide-eyed, hopeful 1L, so I won't expand upon that much.

That being said, you know that even students at t14 schools are striking the gently caress out job-wise, right? When people say "Go to Harvard, Yale, or Stanford," they're not just being elitists - even 4th-ranked Columbia has had some lovely OCI lately. My friend at GULC is 0 for 12 on interviews. Ask yourself if you're really, honestly going to be close enough to top of your class (close enough gets exponentially higher the further down the rankings you go) to get a job. It's no shame if you're not, but if you go and you gently caress up you're in a pretty significant financial hole.

I mean, you say you've got connections and maybe that will pan out for you but poo poo is really crazy for a lot of law students right now. You may find 2Ls and 3Ls eating your heart to steal your connections by voodoo magics.

Wait, re-reading your posts: you're taking the Sept./Oct. LSAT? And expecting a 6+ point bump from your latest practice test to the real thing? You do know that most people experience a 3-5 point decline from their peak practice score, right?

I'm not being sarcastic or giving you poo poo, but my advice would be to sit this cycle out. Cancel your LSAT after you take it, and really, really put your balls to the wall for the June test next year. In the meantime, reevaluate what you want out of law school and whether it's the right choice for you. You say you can join an agency if you don't go to law school - do that for a year. It'll make you a more interesting candidate for schools (well, outside the West Coast at least) and give you some of that supposedly invaluable real world experience. Plus, you don't get hosed by rolling admissions (hint: 3 schools replied to me before the September test scores came out. Spots do get filled.) and you can get your application together with a more critical eye. Are you still in undergrad or did you graduate already?

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

The Warszawa posted:

That being said, you know that even students at t14 schools are striking the gently caress out job-wise, right? When people say "Go to Harvard, Yale, or Stanford," they're not just being elitists - even 4th-ranked Columbia has had some lovely OCI lately.

harvard and jack poo poo here

don't go

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Warszawa posted:

When people say "Go to Harvard, Yale, or Stanford," they're not just being elitists - even 4th-ranked Columbia has had some lovely OCI lately.

For Columbia 3L OCI, there were so many people and so few slots most people only got their first choice. As in they got one interview total out of OCI (I assume if you really needed it though you could pick up vacated slots, as you had to sign up before you knew if you were getting an offer).

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mookie posted:

I'm going to make a new legal tradition where lawyers settle litigation via no-holds-barred hand-to-hand combat.

"Plaintiff requests trial by combat."

ewr2870
May 8, 2007

Red Bean Juice posted:

harvard and jack poo poo here

don't go

Start spamming non-EIP NYC firms now. That approach worked for a number of HLS people who struck out at EIP last year.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

CaptainScraps posted:

I'm going to make a new legal tradition where lawyers settle litigation via no-holds-barred hand-to-hand combat.

"Plaintiff requests trial by combat."

If:
1. Your state incorporates "the common law" as it existed at the time of statehood statehood, (like mine)
and
2. You are in one of the first 20 States in the Union. I.e., in before 1819 and not Louisiana. (not like mine:argh:)

You should be able to request trial by combat unless trial by combat is excluded by statute. (which is unlikely)

So you east coasters and some of you east-of-the-mississippi-ers, get to it.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Actually I think that the judge would just cite http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashford_v_Thornton and then you would just look stupid.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Actually I think that the judge would just cite http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashford_v_Thornton and then you would just look stupid.

That's baller.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

How do you figure? Thornton won the right to trial by combat. It wasn't until the next year, 1819, that Parliament banned trial by combat.

So if your State incorporated the common law as it existed at the time of statehood, and your State was admitted before trial by combat was abolished in 1819, you're good to go.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn
Illinois has a statute adopting almost all english law up until 1604, which means trial by combat and a bunch of other quality treats are in. I have cited Ashton v. Thornton and other cases with the relevent Illinois statute in briefs, but my supervisors disagree about asking to try matters on defendant's body with oaken clubs. I think my first attempt was just "def. br. says they can have jury and bench trials, but an interesting third possibility exists..."

Anyway, today turned into a parade of reasonable doubt arguments. I started the day watching an appellate argument where the defense attorney had literally one argument, reasonable doubt, which was constantly shot down. Then I got a brief wherein defendant argues sufficiency of the evidence on an issue where he has the burden of proof. :downs:

also yes gj making yourself look dumber than usual, billion dollar whatever

Lykourgos fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 9, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Actually, no. Trial by battle was only possible in "appeals of death," in which a family member or someone else instituted a private prosecution after the state trial failed. That was the issue in Ashford v. Thornton, in which the scrawny brother charges Thornton again - which is why it's Thornton v. Ashford, not Thornton v. Regina. Since it's not like I can privately prosecute you for doing something (and certainly not for the death penalty), it seems that this element of the common law could not have been imported into the States. It's a procedural problem more than anything else.

cf Grosso v. Delaware, L. & W. R. Co. 50 N.J.L. 317
People ex rel. Swanson v. Fisher, 340 Ill. 250
Fay v. Parker, 53 N.H. 342

billion dollar bitch fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 9, 2010