Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cactus Jack posted:

:eng101: Jericho was born in Manhasset, New York.
He usually isn't billed from there, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Endorph posted:

He usually isn't billed from there, though.

True Jerichoholics know the truth bro.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
I'm sad that Jericho didnt add "Welcome to Winnipeg, you IDIOT" to his normal move repertoire

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Cactus Jack posted:

:eng101: Jericho was born in Manhasset, New York.
So was I. Maybe it was the same hospital? :aaaaa:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Similar to my favorite Don West moment.

Hernandez is facing off against one of the British Invasion amidst "USA! USA!" chants. West pipes up: "Now I've never said we have the smartest group of fans, but I hear them chanting 'USA USA'. Now is that for the Mexican or is that for the Brit?"

Actually, probably for the guy from Texas. (Hernandez barely even speaks Spanish.)

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Actually, probably for the guy from Texas. (Hernandez barely even speaks Spanish.)

Hernandez is billed/pushed as being "Supermex" and fully embracing his Mexican heritage, so to the casual fan, he is a Mexican.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

I met a guy from Winnipeg in a hostel in London and, at a loss for something to converse about, asked if he'd met Chris Jericho.

He said his friend sometimes sees him in a dive bar he frequents, and that he's pretty cool.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

CVagts posted:

Hernandez is billed/pushed as being "Supermex" and fully embracing his Mexican heritage, so to the casual fan, he is a Mexican.

Billed/pushed to the point that they sent him to AAA to learn to be Mexican.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

WeaselWeaz posted:

And to try and get footage of him looking like a Mexican hero.

So AAA put him in the Foreign Legion, the heel foreigner faction. That is one of my favorite TNA developments of the last year.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

WeaselWeaz posted:

AAA isn't gonna teach him how to be Mexican; they fix cars not steal them.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
So for some reason this has been bugging me for awhile and seeing Barry Horrowitz's name kind of brought it back up.

Back in the early part of the 2000s, there used to be an indy fed that would be shown on Friday nights on Sunshine Network (so this is probably something someone from Florida would be able to answer). I remember it because Horowitz was one of the top heels in the promotion and I THINK might've been the champion. The one thing I distinctly remember is that he was feuding with Scoot Andrews and there was a video of him attacking Andrews in a parking lot that'd get shown approximately 50 times an episode.

Does anyone actually remember this and what the name of the promotion was called?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Suben posted:

So for some reason this has been bugging me for awhile and seeing Barry Horrowitz's name kind of brought it back up.

Back in the early part of the 2000s, there used to be an indy fed that would be shown on Friday nights on Sunshine Network (so this is probably something someone from Florida would be able to answer). I remember it because Horowitz was one of the top heels in the promotion and I THINK might've been the champion. The one thing I distinctly remember is that he was feuding with Scoot Andrews and there was a video of him attacking Andrews in a parking lot that'd get shown approximately 50 times an episode.

Does anyone actually remember this and what the name of the promotion was called?

Wiki indicates you're thinking about Future of Wrestling. Horowitz and Andrews both competed for it, and Horowitz was a two-time Hardcore Champion. It also apparently featured Low-Ki and MVP before they were relevant.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Suben posted:

FOW

Future of Wrestling

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_of_Wrestling

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

tzirean posted:

Wiki indicates you're thinking about Future of Wrestling. Horowitz and Andrews both competed for it, and Horowitz was a two-time Hardcore Champion. It also apparently featured Low-Ki and MVP before they were relevant.

Actually, looking through Horowitz's wiki (no clue why I didn't think of that before reading your post) I think it might be Championship Wrestling from Florida since he was apparently the NWA Florida Heavyweight Champion and the time period of the revival (2002) sounds about right.

Edit: Or not, looking around more I got this from OWW.

quote:

2002: Barry Harrowitz main evented for the Florida Wrestling Association on the Sunshine Network..

So that's probably the answer.

Suben fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 9, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

MassRayPer posted:

And to try and get footage of him looking like a Mexican hero.

So AAA put him in the Foreign Legion, the heel foreigner faction. That is one of my favorite TNA developments of the last year.

It would have been funnier if he came out with an American flag jaw jacking the fans and TNA tried to superimpose the Mexican flag on him and cut to footage of people cheering for La Parka.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn
So, I was looking at the FCW site and I noticed two new guys

Epico and Hunico, who are both masked luchadors. Anyone know the story behind these two or who they were in Mexico.

ITs cool as hell that they have a masked lucha tag team getting trained tho

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!

El Axo Grande posted:

Epico and Hunico, who are both masked luchadors. Anyone know the story behind these two or who they were in Mexico.

I saw them in an fcw tag match with the gate crashers iirc. They were pretty solid

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Axo Grande posted:

Hunico has been under a development deal for awhile. He was Incognito an indie luchadore. He was really bad in CHIKARA. Not horrible technically, just the most boring luchadore you've ever seen. He did a couple ROH shows and wasn't really that bad, but was put in 6 and 8 man tags.

When I saw Incognito at a CHIKARA show live I wanted to capture him and put him in a lab for study just to see how he could make lucha so dull.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

MassRayPer posted:

Hunico has been under a development deal for awhile. He was Incognito an indie luchadore. He was really bad in CHIKARA. Not horrible technically, just the most boring luchadore you've ever seen. He did a couple ROH shows and wasn't really that bad, but was put in 6 and 8 man tags.

When I saw Incognito at a CHIKARA show live I wanted to capture him and put him in a lab for study just to see how he could make lucha so dull.

Yeah, I looked it up and apparently the other one is a colon brother because I guess they figure third times a charm

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Epico is Orlando Colon, the cousin of Primo and Carlito.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

El Axo Grande posted:

Yeah, I looked it up and apparently the other one is a colon brother because I guess they figure third times a charm

Best part is Tito Colon is still listed on the FCW talent page. Anyone know if they have him wrestling both masked and unmasked, or if they just aren't sure how he's gonna land?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

MassRayPer posted:

Wait, this isn't the same Incognito that was on Team Mucha Lucha at KoT 2008 was it?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Wait, this isn't the same Incognito that was on Team Mucha Lucha at KoT 2008 was it?

That's him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I hate Incognito just because he's at his best an average luchadore, but he has an awesome as gently caress name.

At least it isn't as bad as the huge waste that was the Mass Transit incident.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

MassRayPer posted:

That's him.

Was he really the first Mistico? Or were the commentators lying to me?

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Was he really the first Mistico? Or were the commentators lying to me?

He was a Mistico

Basically, at the same time two dudes came up with the same name

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

El Axo Grande posted:

He was a Mistico

Basically, at the same time two dudes came up with the same name

Well poo poo, here I thought he was kind of unimpressive because he was older or hurt or something.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
What are some notable original ECW matches that featured 0 weapons and had a clean finish?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The A-Team Van posted:

What are some notable original ECW matches that featured 0 weapons and had a clean finish?
Every ECW match had a clean finish, sort of. They were all No DQ. But to actually answer your question, I honestly can't remember a single one.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

LividLiquid posted:

Every ECW match had a clean finish, sort of. They were all No DQ. But to actually answer your question, I honestly can't remember a single one.

I would assume the Kaientai matches, some of the lucha stuff, and maybe matches with guys like Jericho, Benoit, etc would be totally straight.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

The A-Team Van posted:

Jerry Lynn and RVD had some great matches -- or at least, the same great match several times.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

The A-Team Van posted:

M-Pro six-man from Barely Legal, to start.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Supreme Allah posted:

Jerry Lynn and RVD had some great matches -- or at least, the same great match several times.

That always involved weapons, as far as I know (and they weren't that great).

The Malenko-Guerrero series comes to mind, even if I thought those were a bit overrated.

BrutusBeefcake
Jun 6, 2003
How about Juvi-Rey?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

BrutusBeefcake posted:

How about Juvi-Rey?

Hurricanrana on a car?

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

El Duke posted:

That always involved weapons, as far as I know (and they weren't that great).

hey now, when I was a kid, everybody loved these matches and as far as I know they were still ok - when did people turn on that?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Manwithastick posted:

hey now, when I was a kid, everybody loved these matches and as far as I know they were still ok - when did people turn on that?

When people actually watched the matches instead of just calling them awesome because they happened in ECW and everyone talks about how cool RVD is so they must have been good.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
ECW has not aged well at all for the most part.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Lynn-RVD was really cool at the time when we had never seen anything like it, but now it's a really embarrassing and highly masturbatory series of matches. It's pretty much singlehandedly responsible for the indy stalemate cliche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Captain Charisma posted:

Lynn-RVD was really cool at the time when we had never seen anything like it, but now it's a really embarrassing and highly masturbatory series of matches.

You were 7 years old when it came out.

El Axo Grande fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 11, 2010