Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Try Rhino Liner! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

eddiewalker posted:

so I loaded it up with 48 plastic bottles.

I don't think I over-stuffed it, and I tried not to block the vents, but now 24 hours later, the compressor hasn't stopped running and the freezer portion is 10 degrees above its target and its contents are soft.

Is this normal? How much time is normal for the thing to reach temp? Why did the freezer temp drop so much, but the fridge part bounced back?

I assume plastic bottle are 2L each? So 96kg of water? Lets assume your ambient is 22', dropping to 4' inside the fridge. Yes, it will take a hell of a lot longer to drop 96kg of water by 18'.

The freezer isn't working well because your system is trying to cool the fridge, until it does that satisfactorily it won't feed any cold air to the freezer. You would have been better introducing 10 litres every 48 hours.

Finally, unless you're a horse by the time you get to drink the last of that water it'll be absolutely foul.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

knuthgrush posted:

Garage door issue, didn't think it warranted its own thread...

I've got an ancient 7x8 wooden garage door (not a single piece) that used extension springs. One of the springs broke last month and I finally got around to buying replacement parts.

I'm only replacing the springs and cables, the pulleys are still solid. I bought two Holmes P378Cs because the product description said that they were for a wooden garage door the same size as mine. I got the two hung with the pulleys and cables set up correctly, but I think the springs are too tight.

When I pull down on the garage door, I can get it about 3/4 of the way down before it's too hard to pull it anymore. If I loosen the cables, the springs and cables end up just kind of hanging and I know that's not right. Did I get the wrong springs or is there some trick to stretching them out?

Also, the springs appear to have some sort of wire running down the center of them that wasn't pictured in any of the product pictures. Could this be for shipping? perhaps it keeps the springs compressed? I haven't had time to check today as I just thought about that potential issue on my way to work. :downs:

Thanks.

When you buy new springs, you need to buy them based on the weight of the door and not the physical size. If the springs are too light they'll stretch too easily, break very quickly, and won't be much help in offsetting the weight of the door. Too heavy, and as you've already found, you won't be able to close the door against the increased tension. If you have a standard bathroom scale, you can unhook your springs and just let the door rest on it to get a fair idea of how much it weighs.

The wire running through the inside of the spring is a safety cable, intended to be tethered on both ends and prevent the spring from summarily removing a windshield or an appendage in the event of breakage under tension. Older doors like yours might not have built-in places to tether the cables, but it should be easy enough to look up some pictures online and create a pretty good facsimile with some nuts'n'bolts. It's not a load-bearing system - it's just a retention mechanism for broken spring parts.

I'm not an overhead door expert by any means, but I've installed my fair share of openers and springs in the past. I'll be happy to answer anything I can. :)

andy17null
Nov 29, 2007

I'M SO GODDAMN RETARDED, I THINK THIS IS LITERALLY REAL MONEY

nbzl posted:

Hi!

I have these two Lay Z Boy seats that were given to me by a friend for use in my new apartment. However they are ugly as balls.

I really don't care enough/have enough money to get them reupholstered. I would like to change them to black. Problem is I'm not sure if it's plausible to use a dye/spray to do this. I also don't know how expensive something like this would be. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

throw a black sheet over them, voila

MissFortune
Feb 15, 2009

The kind of fortune that never misses.
I bought a nice skirt at a yard sale and the zipper decided to go off track on me after the second wear.

The zipper itself is still attached, but the teeth remain completely apart whether I zip up or down.

Googling has only given the advice 'try to line the teeth back up and slowly zip/rezip' but I literally cannot force them to come together again. The teeth are VERY tiny.

Any tips before I give up and take it to a tailor?

Edit: Before I waste anyone's time, I should probably mention I can just barely sew a button on, and not much else.

MissFortune fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Sep 6, 2010

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

MissFortune posted:

Most dry cleaners will also do minor repairs. I had a zipper in my leather jacket repaired some years ago for a very small fee.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Someone tell me about sod!

I have a bunch of bare spots that I seeded last year with "shady mix" and it all grew in pretty nice but now it's all permanently dead. I guess I should have watered it some after it grew in instead of just watering so it would grow in.

I want to try sod this time and I've heard there are certain types for shade, certain types for sun and a certain time of year you're supposed to do each one.

It's mostly shaded areas I need to cover. This is in oklahoma so it does get below freezing but usually not by much and not for very long.

Any advice?

Also I have maybe 1500-2000 sqft bare spots to cover, I was planning on just buying enough sod to fill my truck at a place on my way home from work for a few days. Anything wrong with this? Or should I have them deliver it all at once with a big truck?

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 7, 2010

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Do I need permits to gut and redo a bathroom? Not adding any footage on, just fixing what's broken. Going to replace some plumbing, electrical, tiles, flooring, etc.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

BorderPatrol posted:

Do I need permits to gut and redo a bathroom? Not adding any footage on, just fixing what's broken. Going to replace some plumbing, electrical, tiles, flooring, etc.
Technically? Yes. There are probably requirements that you get a permit to paint (might be exaggerating), and concerning what you are doing, you probably should get permits for the electrical and plumbing at the very least, since that could bite you in the rear end when you move if you don't.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hmmm, we're planning on moving out sometime next year. How much would permits like that cost?

Eskimoslug
Aug 20, 2005
Insulation Question:

Over the past week my house has been accumulating house flies. I have tried everything to get rid of them, but more appear every day. A couple of days ago I went down to the basement and the fly population was like a Zerg rush. On top of that was a strong smell of something like piss and dead. My house was built is 1860 and the majority of it is expansion built surround the original basement. Where the house expands out they left just enough room for the duct work and wiring to run under the kitchen, which is where I believe whatever has died is located. I shined a flashlight into the crawlspace there were a lot of turds, to big to be mouse crap littering the floor. I think it is a groundhog, because I used to see one running along the side of my house when I left for work. I could also see a lot of ripped up insulation. The smell has gotten worse since then, and I want to take care of this over the weekend. From reading articles on line it looks like I will have to strip the insulation and dis-infect the area before putting new insulation in.

Has anyone had an issue like this and if so, how did you deal with it? I have no idea if I can even get at most of the insulation in the crawlspace area without ripping up my floorboards. It is REALLY tight and scary in there. Suggestions?

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

BorderPatrol posted:

Hmmm, we're planning on moving out sometime next year. How much would permits like that cost?
Depending on your city, anywhere from about $100 to a few hundred dollars. An annoying amount, but not a cost prohibitive amount.

dinozaur
Aug 26, 2003
STUPID
DICK

Wagonburner posted:

Any advice?

I've been landscaping for the last decade, and when it came time to fix the grass at my house, I bought seed rather than using free, high quality sod. I recommend you spread a little nice topsoil, throw out some shade/sun seed, apply straw and actually water it so the fescue in the seed mix can take root.

Unless you have an excess of money, time, and demand an instant lawn then there is very little reason to sod instead of seed. For your savings from using seed vs sod you could buy a seed spreader, several sprinklers, hose splitters, an automatic watering timer, and still have money left over. This isn't even taking into account the time savings. Doing the prepwork for sod so that it actually comes out proper is a huge pain in the neck.

Think about it, but if you still want to spread sod(it'll be around 3-4 pallets) I could probably help out. Either way, do it soon since the first few weeks of autumn is a great time to do either.

dinozaur fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 9, 2010

andy17null
Nov 29, 2007

I'M SO GODDAMN RETARDED, I THINK THIS IS LITERALLY REAL MONEY

MissFortune posted:

I bought a nice skirt at a yard sale and the zipper decided to go off track on me after the second wear.

The zipper itself is still attached, but the teeth remain completely apart whether I zip up or down.

Googling has only given the advice 'try to line the teeth back up and slowly zip/rezip' but I literally cannot force them to come together again. The teeth are VERY tiny.

Edit: Before I waste anyone's time, I should probably mention I can just barely sew a button on, and not much else.

The one thing you can try is running a bar of soap along the zipper to lubricate it a bit. I had something similar happen to a leather jacket but the zipper refused to travel at all, it just stuck halfway through - which was a pain in the rear end if I was wearing it. It was possible to force the zipper down one tooth at a time but time consuming.

If the soap doesn't work, ask a tailor to replace the slide. If that doesn't work, you'll need to replace the whole zipper or skirt.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

dinozaur posted:

I've been landscaping for the last decade, and when it came time to fix the grass at my house, I bought seed rather than using free, high quality sod. I recommend you spread a little nice topsoil, throw out some shade/sun seed, apply straw and actually water it so the fescue in the seed mix can take root.

Unless you have an excess of money, time, and demand an instant lawn then there is very little reason to sod instead of seed. For your savings from using seed vs sod you could buy a seed spreader, several sprinklers, hose splitters, an automatic watering timer, and still have money left over. This isn't even taking into account the time savings. Doing the prepwork for sod so that it actually comes out proper is a huge pain in the neck.

Think about it, but if you still want to spread sod(it'll be around 3-4 pallets) I could probably help out. Either way, do it soon since the first few weeks of autumn is a great time to do either.

Noted for sure. Maybe I'm gonna seed again. I have not even tried to do any math to see how much this would cost with sod sounds like it would be a lot the way you're talking. After all I did get it to grow once, I just have to keep it grwoing.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
So I'm planning a table/shelving unit out of threaded steel plumbing pipe (and wood). We will be using it in our kitchen to provide much needed counter space and some shelves to store appliances. The unit will basically be a 4'x3' table with one foot shelves stacked on top of the table (against the wall). I got the idea, however, that we could make it a "drop leaf" table. I could probably make it 4'x4', but have two feet of the length drop down when not in use. It would free up kitchen space but allow ample counter space when we need it.

I'm trying to think of a way to support the leaf when it is extended. I was thinking of a fifth leg that swivels around under the leaf. Do they sell steel plumbing pieces that can swivel freely? Any other ideas? I'd prefer a leg under the leaf instead of a rail/lock system since we may be putting some significant weight on it.

Edit: This is what I'm thinking:

I think I'll just use normal pipe fittings and not screw the threads in all the way. That should give it enough rotation to swivel around (I think)

polyfractal fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 11, 2010

Flay Minion
Sep 23, 2004

hepme

polyfractal posted:

I think I'll just use normal pipe fittings and not screw the threads in all the way. That should give it enough rotation to swivel around (I think)

If not, try some of these handrail parts.

http://fence-material.com/hafiswflhr52.html as an example -- there are other parts here that might work, collars and whatnot.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

polyfractal posted:

Any other ideas?

http://www.amazon.com/Drop-Support-tables-without-aprons/dp/B001DVTFBA

Another idea although I like your swing out leg better.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!
Fall is officially here, which means I am behind on making my Halloween costume. This year, I'm a bit stumped as to what material I can use to make it. I want to go as Klaus Nomi, seen here:

In action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gma5IUNMTn0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKYpepxGkyY&feature=related

Obviously, the construction should be pretty simple. Might need some sort of wire frame underneath, but still pretty tame. But I can't think of what the hell to use for the actual suit or where to get it- I need some sort of rigid yet bendable plastic sheet, preferably already with a high shine. Any thoughts?

Melicious fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 13, 2010

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Melicious posted:

…But I can't think of what the hell to use for the actual suit or where to get it- I need some sort of rigid yet bendable plastic sheet, preferably already with a high shine. Any thoughts?

Patent leather vinyl? Perhaps check Chicago-area fabric and upholstery shops? Wicked fun costume idea, btw. Have a Bowie to hang with during festivities?

e: excised further off-topic sentence

Arriviste fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 13, 2010

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Arriviste posted:

Patent leather vinyl? Perhaps check Chicago-area fabric and upholstery shops? Wicked fun costume idea, btw. Have a Bowie to hang with during festivities?

e: excised further off-topic sentence

I actually conceived of it as a duet costume- my best friend is going as Bowie. :banjo:

Anyway, I had thought about vinyl, but my concern is that it will end up looking wrinkly or saggy.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Melicious posted:

I actually conceived of it as a duet costume- my best friend is going as Bowie. :banjo:

Anyway, I had thought about vinyl, but my concern is that it will end up looking wrinkly or saggy.

It's been forever since I've owned anything made with patent leather, but I recall it being somewhat stiff when used in shoes. I don't know if that's due to the thickness of the material or whether it was backed with cardboard or another material. It might be worth talking to a cobbler or upholsterer to learn more about grades of products available and what methods & materials are used to shape them. You might even get a good lead on scrap or inexpensive supplies! :dance:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
While remodeling I removed one door and need the hole bricked up and the brick to fit in with the old brick. In another spot I replaced a double window with a french door and need brick filled in around the door. I'm debating doing it myself or hiring a mason (which I'm told are very expensive). Anyone done brickwork? Advice?

JoeWindetc
Jan 14, 2007
JoeWindetc
My dishwasher is screeching at me. It sounds like a banshee. Help? [GE Triton XL]

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

wormil posted:

While remodeling I removed one door and need the hole bricked up and the brick to fit in with the old brick. In another spot I replaced a double window with a french door and need brick filled in around the door. I'm debating doing it myself or hiring a mason (which I'm told are very expensive). Anyone done brickwork? Advice?

Actual brickwork is pretty easy, the hardest thing is going to be finding brick that matches the old brick. Fortunately they sell used brick at home depot/lowes. You can also look for used brick on craigslist. As for removing the current brick mortar so you can put "new" bricks in, get out your hammer and chisel and gently work away until you have open spaces to fit the new brick. If you need to cut the brick to fit a certain size hole, use a circular saw or grinder with a masonry blade. You can do it by hand but if you have more than one to do, then it's worth it for the saw. As far as grouting, match the grout color up, mix the grout to what the bag says then get a trowel and other tools to work into holes from home depot. Also, get some latex gloves so you can work with your fingers, it's easier to do the final grout lines with just your finger to get it nice and smooth if you're filling in between bricks. I learned the latex glove trick the hard way. The first time I did it by hand and my fingers were dried out and cracking the next day from the chemicals in the grout. I've done this method on my own house without having to use muriatic acid and it worked out great and matched the old finish. Hope that helps out and answers your question.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

JoeWindetc posted:

My dishwasher is screeching at me. It sounds like a banshee. Help? [GE Triton XL]

Did you get any resolution on this? Mine is too.

JoeWindetc
Jan 14, 2007
JoeWindetc

Zahgaegun posted:

Did you get any resolution on this? Mine is too.

Best I can find is a loose belt on the motor. Still researching, but I'll keep you posted if I find anything else out.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
I remember reading a great post in here a while back about the best brands of power tools for each type. Well, I'm in the market for a drill - cordless or corded, doesn't really matter. I'll probably be searching craigslist to see if I can buy a decent one used, but I'd like to spend less than a hundred bucks. Thoughts?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

moana posted:

I remember reading a great post in here a while back about the best brands of power tools for each type. Well, I'm in the market for a drill - cordless or corded, doesn't really matter. I'll probably be searching craigslist to see if I can buy a decent one used, but I'd like to spend less than a hundred bucks. Thoughts?

I don't know about 'best', I don't follow tools that closely but the brands I look at are Porter Cable, Milwaukee, Dewalt, and Makita among others. If this is for home use, I bought an 18 volt Porter Cable set (drill, 2 batteries, circular saw, sawzall, and flashlight) recently for use while remodeling. My only complaint about the set is that the torque adjustment on the drill isn't as consistent as my Makita.

JoeWindetc
Jan 14, 2007
JoeWindetc

moana posted:

Dewalt. Hands down.

Flay Minion
Sep 23, 2004

hepme

moana posted:

Whatchoo wanna do wid it?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Flay Minion posted:

Whatchoo wanna do wid it?
Drill some loving holes in things. (just drywall and pine 2x4s, nothing fancy pants)
Checking out Dewalt drills on CL to see if I can pick something up for not that much.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Thought about posting this in CC, but there's no real place for quick questions, and this is more crafty/hobby related. I'm starting to make some art pieces in photoshop that I'm interested in printing, mounting and perhaps framing some. First of all, I have no idea where to print them. Would my local Kinkos/Staples/etc be able to print what I need? I guess I can mount it to some cheapo board with some contact adhesive. I was also thinking about coating the print in some lacquer with a small brush to mimic brush strokes. Anyone have any experience with this?

macpod
Jan 29, 2006
What the hell was that about?
I need to drill two 3/8" diameter 3" holes in a block of 6061 aluminum. I started the endeavor with a 1/8" hss pilot hole on my flexy drill press. I guess I got carried away and now I have a 1" piece of broken drill bit ~1/2" in the block.

How can I retrieve this piece and what is the proper way to drill these holes?

Edit: I'm drilling at 2050 rpms and using 3-in-1 for lubricant

macpod fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 18, 2010

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

bunky posted:

Would my local Kinkos/Staples/etc be able to print what I need?

Kinko's should, although they tend to be expensive and the person doing the printing may or may not know what they are doing. I would suggest looking for a place that prints CAD drawings or an independent printer. There are a couple of goons on sa-mart that print posters for reasonable prices.

Flay Minion
Sep 23, 2004

hepme

moana posted:

Drill some loving holes in things. (just drywall and pine 2x4s, nothing fancy pants)
Checking out Dewalt drills on CL to see if I can pick something up for not that much.

Dewalt is a good name but generally when they are sold used, they are REALLY used. I've had decent luck in pawn shops tho.

Also, these drills go for only about 60 bux brand new?

Plywood Terrier
Aug 18, 2010
If one were to build a canoe, is it necessary to steam bend the ribs, or can they simply be cut from solid pieces of wood? Like the supports in the folding kayak thread, I guess. I know using strips and bending would save weight, but is there some other reason?

Edit: Enough research now tells me plenty of canoes do not need any steam bending at all.

Plywood Terrier fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 19, 2010

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
Hi all

Below is a picture of my workshop space with it's mostly concrete floor but with this one pictured patch of bare dirt

Disclaimer: this is the previous owners work. This is the crawl space of an addition they built and some of the concrete is overpour from the foundation and the rest is the original patio concrete (painted yellow)

I'd like to have a somewhat level and uniform concrete floor. I've never worked with concrete before. What is the best approach and product to use here?

CadavericSpasm
Nov 5, 2009
I'm renovating my house and we're getting ready to work on the basement. We ripped up the lovely old carpet and are in process of removing the disgusting foam/glue mixture that lurked beneath. As to my question, what type of floor covering should we go for? The basement floor is all concrete under the foam/glue and it's not really level. Would linoleum or peel-and-stick tiles be okay? Do I need a vapour barrier of some sort? I also have a large hole in the concrete because someone thought a sump pump was necessary when living at the top of a hill.

note: the pump was removed years ago and I don't think it's been used in 15-20 years, to no adverse effects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morethanjake32
Apr 5, 2009

macpod posted:

I need to drill two 3/8" diameter 3" holes in a block of 6061 aluminum. I started the endeavor with a 1/8" hss pilot hole on my flexy drill press. I guess I got carried away and now I have a 1" piece of broken drill bit ~1/2" in the block.

How can I retrieve this piece and what is the proper way to drill these holes?

Edit: I'm drilling at 2050 rpms and using 3-in-1 for lubricant

step 1: Tighten visegrip on broken stub.
step 2: turn visegrip counterclockwise.
step 3: drill 2 holes with 3/8 drill bit.
Just take it slow if you have a variable speed motor, and if you can, put the work as close to the drill as reasonable. Also, if you don't tighten the chuck nearly as much it wont break the bit, The worst thing that can happen is the chuck slips a little bit.