Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

HERAK posted:

So apparently the apple store stopped selling ipod touches sometime this afternoon on "instructions from head office" so i wasted a trip into town this afternoon. Do they not want to make money or something?

I don't know if this is an option for you, but I was able to easily buy mine through Best Buy to pickup at the store. I plan on going right after work to grab it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
Word around the campfire is that the new iPod touch has 256MB RAM.

Seems like Apple really did cut some corners with this update, if true. It's mostly price related, I'm guessing, but I don't think anyone can deny Apple wants the iPhone to clearly be their flagship product, and if that means purposely holding the iPod touch back, then so be it.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I'd be amazed, considering that's how much the 3rd gen had.

The Touch is a monster success, its retarded of Apple to ever push it aside. It should be 1A to the iPhone's 1. Its easily the device to own if you don't have a cell plan with AT&T.

e: on a different note, 4.1 is out. I know they only mentioned the 3G receiving benefits from it but it absolutely turned my 2nd gen back like it was pre-4.0. I never had huge issues with 4.0 but there was some noticeable difference in opening apps and whatnot that wasn't there in 3.x but those problems seem to be long gone now.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 8, 2010

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Paul Proteus posted:

I don't know if this is an option for you, but I was able to easily buy mine through Best Buy to pickup at the store. I plan on going right after work to grab it.
UK so not an option, other stores won't get it till Friday at the earliest, I think I'll order on line. I'm just totally bemused that they would stop selling it halfway through the day, wonder how may £1000s of pounds they missed out on this afternoon.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
iPod Touch 4G: Delivered :whatup:

Time to go pick up a screen protector!

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

HERAK posted:

UK so not an option, other stores won't get it till Friday at the earliest, I think I'll order on line. I'm just totally bemused that they would stop selling it halfway through the day, wonder how may £1000s of pounds they missed out on this afternoon.

Yea, that doesn't make much sense at all. Maybe try to call back again before you try online? Maybe I'm not used to Apple launches (this is the first time I have ever actively sought out an Apple item as soon as it was released), but the whole process of never officially announcing a day seems weird.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
Exactly, i'm stuck in for the next few days and then a long week of work anbd it would have been good to get it and set it up tomorrow when i've nothing better to do. Jokes on them though since i also need a mac book pro for uni they might have just done them selves out of a very easy 3 grand.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Do you guys mind if I give some initial impressions of the new hardware?

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

Karthe posted:

Do you guys mind if I give some initial impressions of the new hardware?

YES I MIND HOW DARE YOU.

Really though, why not. If you have a 3rd gen, I'd be very interested in a comparison.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Well then, here's my hour-long trip report with the new Touch:

- Hardware-wise, I don't like the new location of the volume buttons. They're placed on the sloped side of the back of the Touch, so you don't push in to the side (as you would on the 3G) so much as you push towards you, if that makes sense.

- The Retina Display is gorgeous! Text is crisp, lines have hardly any aliased edges, and colors really pop!

- This isn't so much about the Touch itself, but iTunes restored my 3G's backup to my 4G, so all of my settings (mail, wallpaper, folders, etc...) were restored! That pleasantly surprised me, I thought I'd have to go in and set everything back up again.

-There's no rumble! It had been rumored that a rumble motor was included for accessibility reasons, but there's nothing in the OS indicating that.

-Speed-wise, the 4G feels a slight bit faster, but nothing significant.

Other than that, it's a Touch. If you guys have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them :)

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Karthe posted:

-There's no rumble! It had been rumored that a rumble motor was included for accessibility reasons, but there's nothing in the OS indicating that.

To my understanding, it was meant for when FaceTime invitations were sent to you. Have you tried that?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Paul Proteus posted:

To my understanding, it was meant for when FaceTime invitations were sent to you. Have you tried that?
Ah, I must have misread the MacRumors site when I read about it. I haven't tried FaceTime yet (I don't know anyone with a new Touch or iPhone 4 :v:), so I can't confirm that right now.

Edit: It looks like barcode-scanning apps will work with the Touch's rear camera! I just tried RedLaser on a couple of books and 360 game cases, and it was able to scan them all! On the flip side, Bakodo, another barcode-scanning app, wasn't able to pick up any of the same items, so ymmv.

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 8, 2010

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
I tried my co-worker's new one out for a minute today and man that camera sucks for stills. Since it was one of the big reasons I was going to get one (until I noticed it wasn't getting the iPhone 4 still sensor), I'm glad I passed.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
Yeah Apple's stance on taking photos seems to be "get an iPhone." The only reason the new touch got any cameras is due to Apple pushing FaceTime, although where they're going with that is anyone's guess.

I don't think the touch will ever get a proper camera sensor since Steve won't be happy until the touch is as thin as a credit card.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
Fourth-Generation iPod Touch Offers Only 256 MB of RAM

Naturally, the cost-cutting excuse is used.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

toxick posted:

Fourth-Generation iPod Touch Offers Only 256 MB of RAM

Naturally, the cost-cutting excuse is used.
I was reading about that, but I'm not quite clear how that impacts performance. What does that mean for the regular user?

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
Anybody upgrade from a 2G to a 4G and have impressions? Costco apparently is carrying the 4G now. I'm very mixed about upgrading, but I'll probably pick one up at Costco and try it out since they have an amazing return policy.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Karthe posted:

I was reading about that, but I'm not quite clear how that impacts performance. What does that mean for the regular user?

Less RAM means less time browsing/switching apps etc before Safari starts screenshoting your tabs and refreshing when you navigate back to them, and more "checkerboarding" when scrolling. It also means more slowdown in general when doing something intensive.

It also reduces the amount of apps which are able to be suspended at a time, but I doubt you'll ever notice this because most apps will start in a couple of seconds anyway.

But still, it seems the Touch is moving away from being "Current iPhone without the phone" and more "Almost the current iPhone without the phone, but not quite :smug:"

Then again it makes sense to have the iPhone go that little bit further, as the carrier plan makes it a loftier investment.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 9, 2010

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

SnowWolf posted:

Anybody upgrade from a 2G to a 4G and have impressions? Costco apparently is carrying the 4G now. I'm very mixed about upgrading, but I'll probably pick one up at Costco and try it out since they have an amazing return policy.

My GF has been playing around with her new iPod for several hours now. She's not a technology person however, so this is more based on the 'casual' user.

Retina Display/A4 Processor - Not much to say, looks better, runs faster to open apps. Definitely much snappier than the 2G on 4.0

Camera & Video - Definitely worth it for her. She usually just takes pictures/video for Facebook (low res of course), so the camera being 2nd rate to my iPhone didn't bother her too much. Faster than her Blackberry, its a good in-between device that's small, on the go, and does games/photos/etc without having to take her regular digital camera or our SLR out. I'd say the hardest thing to get used to is no auto-focus, followed by no flash. But, it snaps quick photos, which she likes.

256MB RAM - I don't see that being too much of an issue, unless you've been spoiled by the IP4, have a 3G(and feel screwed) or jailbreak to 'truly' background and tinker a lot. Her 2G was only jailbroken for a couple of features she saw on my 3GS and wanted.

Bottom line: I think that regardless, 2G to 4G is a great jump in the product lines. Just don't expect IP4 without data. 3G to 4G though, that's more of a question of if you want Facetime/Retina/etc, especially with the same ammount of RAM.

EconOutlines fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 9, 2010

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
Also since the touch doesn't have a gps, 3g radio, and a high res camera there's less over head for that as well so it's not quite the same comparison.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Double Post

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I was doing some side-by-side, cold-start app launches (i.e. the apps weren't suspended in the task tray) on my 3G and 4G, and I was surprised that my 3G launched apps faster! I tried a graphic calculator, Tetris, and Convertbot, both of which have loading screens, and the 3G consistently loaded apps faster. How strange is that? :iiam:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Well with the same RAM I think that upgrading from the 3G to 4G might not be worth it. I was considering selling my 3G 32GB for $200, but I think I might wait until the 5G to upgrade.

I use my Touch a TON, but just can't justify it for FaceTime and a retina display pretty much.

chutzpah
Aug 4, 2006
woah nellie
Kind of a niche, but how's reading on it? Can you go to low brightness in something like stanza or ibooks and not let it be all eye-strainy?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I could never justify just a one generation upgrade. However, two sounds about right and that's why I'm getting one to move up from my 2nd gen. Double the RAM, a far better processor and superior display.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009
Since everyone is freaking out over new ipod touches I'll try this again,

Did anyone notice their ipod touch becoming significantly quieter since updating to 4.0? I used to have to use soundcheck so I wouldn't kill my car speakers accidentally with a louder than average song, now I have to turn it off or everything is horribly quiet (things are still quieter without it, but not as quiet).

Ninja Toast! fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 9, 2010

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Ninja Toast! posted:

Since everyone is freaking about new ipod touches I'll try this again,

Did anyone notice their ipod touch becoming significantly quieter since updating to 4.0? I used to have to use soundcheck so I wouldn't kill my car speakers accidentally with a louder than average song, now I have to turn it off or everything is horribly quiet (things are still quieter without it, but not as quiet).

Usually no response should tell you something instead of everyone piling in to say they didn't have the problem.

No, I have not had an issue with this on my Touch. I know it seems like a chore but have you considered adjusting the volume of all your music on iTunes and then resyncing? If its literally every song and album then just shift+click everything and change the volume all at once. Other than waiting for iTunes to basically re-add all your music, it should be fairly quick and painless.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

Usually no response should tell you something instead of everyone piling in to say they didn't have the problem.

No, I have not had an issue with this on my Touch. I know it seems like a chore but have you considered adjusting the volume of all your music on iTunes and then resyncing? If its literally every song and album then just shift+click everything and change the volume all at once. Other than waiting for iTunes to basically re-add all your music, it should be fairly quick and painless.

Yeah, there were a bunch of replies right after, thought it might have just gotten looked over, my wording sounds harsh though on re-reading.

I didn't know I could just adjust the volume level though. Where do I go to do this? Select everything then where? Does it affect soundcheck too?

If this works you're my hero and I'm doing it right now.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Right-click a song in iTunes, Get Info, Options.

So if its everything, I'd simply shift+click to select all the music(assuming you know what I mean) then adjust the volume all at once. Will probably take a few minutes for iTunes to fix it and then you'll need to resync. Maybe just adjust one album, sync and head out and see if that fixes it and if it does then adjust the rest of your stuff.

It might not be the magical cure but it should definitely help. Not sure I'd use Soundcheck at first and just give it a try without it.

e: above all, if you don't like the solution, consider rolling back to 3.x. There are guides to help this, its really easy.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 9, 2010

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Astro7x posted:

Well with the same RAM I think that upgrading from the 3G to 4G might not be worth it. I was considering selling my 3G 32GB for $200, but I think I might wait until the 5G to upgrade.

I use my Touch a TON, but just can't justify it for FaceTime and a retina display pretty much.

I'm sooooooooooooo tempted to too. Retina display and new chip. But I just bought my 3G in May!

Someone make this decision for me :(

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

Right-click a song in iTunes, Get Info, Options.

So if its everything, I'd simply shift+click to select all the music(assuming you know what I mean) then adjust the volume all at once. Will probably take a few minutes for iTunes to fix it and then you'll need to resync. Maybe just adjust one album, sync and head out and see if that fixes it and if it does then adjust the rest of your stuff.

It might not be the magical cure but it should definitely help. Not sure I'd use Soundcheck at first and just give it a try without it.

e: above all, if you don't like the solution, consider rolling back to 3.x. There are guides to help this, its really easy.

Thanks, I know how to select stuff, I just don't normally use iTunes for anything aside from adding tracks to the ipod, and this is my first iPod so I'm not terribly familiar with iTunes.

I found one mention of it getting quiet after 4.0 online, but it didn't really offer a fix and I'm relatively ok with 4.0 after I finally updated it, so I'd rather leave it. It is kindof silly it multitasks stuff like settings and calendar that never took long to load, but that's really my only gripe.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

terrorist posted:

I'm sooooooooooooo tempted to too. Retina display and new chip. But I just bought my 3G in May!

Someone make this decision for me :(

Crotch Bat posted:

I could never justify just a one generation upgrade. However, two sounds about right and that's why I'm getting one to move up from my 2nd gen. Double the RAM, a far better processor and superior display.

Enjoy your 3rd gen for a year or so and if you think the 5th gen will really improve the experience, get it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Crotch Bat posted:

Enjoy your 3rd gen for a year or so and if you think the 5th gen will really improve the experience, get it.
Apple products almost seem better to buy on an alternating generation. Make it last 2 years, until your device feels so outdated that you just HAVE to upgrade.

Me personally, I'm upgrading from an 8gb 2G to a 64gb 4G, so I think I'll be satisfied.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I love my 1st gen, still, but I am juggling if I am just going to get a real smartphone or if the drat iPhone comes to Verizon or maybe I buy a 5th gen Touch at some point. Technology lust sucks like that.

About the volume lowering: could it be Apple deliberately quieted the iPod line to appease people complaining about losing hearing from playing it too loud?

Kin Corn Karn
Mar 9, 2008

Some quick intial impressions:

The retina display is gorgeous. It makes the previous gen look blurry and low fi in comparison. Web pages look better. Things look so much more crisp and sharp. I thought the whole retina thing was a bunch of hype, but this is worthy of it.

The video quality is great. However, the mic has an annoying background hum, which isnt noticeable when there is sound.

Game Center seems cool, but it needs time to grow. (more supported games, and more people on my buddy list) It has potential, but right now, it's nothing that special.

The home button doesn't feel loose anymore.

Still photo quality is passable, and it's better than my cell phone camera, so i'm okay with that. Sample pic:

Overall, the main draw here is the retina display, HD video recording, and facetime. The little extras like game center, slimmer size, faster processor, and battery life, are welcomed additions. Compared to previous generation improvements, i'd say the 4G is probably the biggest jump in the products line to date.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

LaptopGun posted:

I love my 1st gen, still, but I am juggling if I am just going to get a real smartphone or if the drat iPhone comes to Verizon or maybe I buy a 5th gen Touch at some point. Technology lust sucks like that.

About the volume lowering: could it be Apple deliberately quieted the iPod line to appease people complaining about losing hearing from playing it too loud?

I would not wait on buying anything based on the hope it comes to Verizon. Go get an Android phone and be happy and then pick up a newer Touch.

Also zero chance they changed anything on the hardware side as far as volume goes. He just has some bug or issue.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Kin Corn Karn posted:

Still photo quality is passable, and it's better than my cell phone camera, so i'm okay with that.
Here are some 4G pics I took today with the CameraBag app (let me know if these are too big, I can scale them down):

After applying effects to those pictures, the graininess almost becomes...endearing :allears:

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I know that pining for a Verizon iPhone is like waiting for the Red Sox to win the World Series during that 86 year Curse thing... I don't like how Apple seemed to be on a gimping spree with it's new iPods between the Touch and Nano (at least, the Shuffle looks actually usable). I don't know. I'd really like a 4th gen Touch, but something doesn't feel right. Hence I want to wait. For something... for what I'm not really sure.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

LaptopGun posted:

I know that pining for a Verizon iPhone is like waiting for the Red Sox to win the World Series during that 86 year Curse thing... I don't like how Apple seemed to be on a gimping spree with it's new iPods between the Touch and Nano (at least, the Shuffle looks actually usable). I don't know. I'd really like a 4th gen Touch, but something doesn't feel right. Hence I want to wait. For something... for what I'm not really sure.

You're waiting for an iPod that has the same internals as the current iPhone :smugbert:

I'm really looking forward to using my 4G shuffle, which I ordered the other day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.

LaptopGun posted:

Or you could just get the best of both worlds and pick up one of the cool Android Phones available on Verizon like the HTC Incredible and get the new Touch to supplement the need for iOS apps.

• Locked thread