Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Wow....that's really obnoxious.

God I hope I make it to the OAs this year. Being unemployed sucks. I even went to Mass last weekend and I'm not even Catholic.

CherryCola fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
What's obnoxious is entering final suitability review at a time when your score would get you an offer for the next class; then getting hosed by another candidate in your cone looking to slow down your candidacy because they didn't do well enough on their own, so you spend 2 MONTHS in final suitability review with no word whatsoever as to whether you're going to get on the register, based on lies and accusations from a buddy fucker, and then when you FINALLY clear, the register is so full that you're now no longer certain you'll get an offer.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

CherryCola posted:

Wow....that's really obnoxious.

God I hope I make it to the OAs this year. Being unemployed sucks. I even went to Mass last weekend and I'm not even Catholic.

High fives all around for the unemployed club. Did you still end up coming out to DC?

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Boondock Saint posted:

High fives all around for the unemployed club. Did you still end up coming out to DC?

Yup! I've been here since the 18th. I'm doing lots of networking and resume sending...I even have business cards now! Alas, not even one interview has occurred.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Two of my friends that were applying didn't get through the QEPs. Seems like it's a competitive year, then?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

CherryCola posted:

Yup! I've been here since the 18th. I'm doing lots of networking and resume sending...I even have business cards now! Alas, not even one interview has occurred.

Don't let it get to you. I've been here since the 1st of June and I've only managed three interviews, where only one led anywhere concrete before falling apart.

Here's to hoping the start of a new fiscal year improves the job market around here :smithicide:

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Boondock Saint posted:

Don't let it get to you. I've been here since the 1st of June and I've only managed three interviews, where only one led anywhere concrete before falling apart.

Here's to hoping the start of a new fiscal year improves the job market around here :smithicide:

Yeah seriously, the lovely thing is that I just have enough money and housing to get me through to the end of October. I can't believe I haven't even gotten a call back from a temp agency!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

CherryCola posted:

Yeah seriously, the lovely thing is that I just have enough money and housing to get me through to the end of October. I can't believe I haven't even gotten a call back from a temp agency!

Oh gently caress those places, seriously.

I am sick and loving tired of seeing them advertise in the Post on a daily basis that they have tons of unfilled temp and data entry jobs for recent grads, yet I interviewed with them and filled out all the preliminary paperwork back in June with them and have yet to receive a phone call. One of those three places was honest enough to tell me that there wasn't really much temp work floating around right now and to hang tight, the other two just seem like professional resume depositorys that just like to boast to employers they have the most potential candidates to chose from.

When I was in the Boston area, the norm was to call once a month to see if anything new came around. They were good about this up there but down here, the moment I call and say that I've already applied and was just inquiring if any work was coming up, they told me not to call and that they'd call me. This was before I even gave them my name or any other info.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 8, 2010

BaseballChica03
Jan 12, 2006

xanthig posted:

I can't think of a better way of showing how subjective the QEP process is.

I also failed the QEP. I hate that there's no way at all to know what you did wrong (or right). Were my essays just not well-written? Could I have picked better examples? Am I just flat out wrong for the job? The worst is that I am confident that this time around with some more experience under my belt, I could do really well on the OA if I could just get there. At least with the old test, you knew where your strengths and weaknesses were to try again.

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

I failed the QEP as well. I'm not sure if I'll try again next year, but my wife says that we should both study and take it - just for fun. I will probably end up trying again when I return to the States next year.

GreySkies
Apr 16, 2006
armchair cynic
I failed QEP too. I seriously had my hopes up there for a minute...and it would be nice to have a vague notion of a job after graduation if I could jump a few more hurdles for it. Maybe next year!

What a kick in the balls, SWATJester. Here's hoping you get called up.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I failed QEP as well but hopefully by the time I'm eligible to retake the FSOT I'll be out of country with Peace Corps.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

GreySkies posted:

I failed QEP too. I seriously had my hopes up there for a minute...and it would be nice to have a vague notion of a job after graduation if I could jump a few more hurdles for it. Maybe next year!

What a kick in the balls, SWATJester. Here's hoping you get called up.

Actually it all works out because I'm taking a contract job through February. The registers should be better by then, and even if I get called early, it's a telecommute job so I can do both until I can be replaced on the contract.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
CherryCola-

Did you email me recently? I thought I saw something from you, but when I went to check, it either wasn't there or i was hallucinating.

Stupid jetlag!!

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Skandiaavity posted:

CherryCola-

Did you email me recently? I thought I saw something from you, but when I went to check, it either wasn't there or i was hallucinating.

Stupid jetlag!!

I did about a week and a half ago, I think. I applied for another job at Booz because I can't take a hint.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Well, count me in on the "failed the QEP" group hug. I'm still waiting to hear about the CEP stuff and whether or not my 94 gets me to the next round or what. I'm also planning on moving to DC in mid-October, and hearing poo poo about how bad the market is there is making me feel reallllllly nervous. This after I've heard people gushing about how jobs seem to be falling off the trees in DC.

peet
Jan 17, 2003

LOL MAN EATING DEMON BOOBS FILM AT 11
Hello, fellow QEP failers! I failed too!!

My fiancée, on the other hand, got an OA invite. So I get to be happy AND bummed at the same time.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

CherryCola posted:

I did about a week and a half ago, I think. I applied for another job at Booz because I can't take a hint.

no, no - you're on the right track. They just have something ridiculous like a 1% hire rate.. can you send it again?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

suboptimal posted:

Well, count me in on the "failed the QEP" group hug. I'm still waiting to hear about the CEP stuff and whether or not my 94 gets me to the next round or what. I'm also planning on moving to DC in mid-October, and hearing poo poo about how bad the market is there is making me feel reallllllly nervous. This after I've heard people gushing about how jobs seem to be falling off the trees in DC.

Don't get too nervous. I'd say while the market does indeed suck right now, it's far better here than it is in many other places. I'd rather be in a location where I have the chance to apply for 10 jobs that I'm qualified for and may not get called back for than live in an area where maybe 1 or maybe 2 positions pop up if it's a good week.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
I know this isn't FSOT related, but I just got a call back to set up a phone interview with Diplomatic Language Services! About drat time.

xanthig
Apr 23, 2005

peet posted:

Hello, fellow QEP failers! I failed too!!

My fiancée, on the other hand, got an OA invite. So I get to be happy AND bummed at the same time.

Hot drat this year's QEP was brutal. At least we now have it confirmed that someone did indeed pass.

dividebyzero
Jun 26, 2006

by angerbot
Two questions, as I too am considering taking the FSOT:

1) It's hard to make predictions of course, but if you could
venture a guess, do you all expect the hiring rush to continue into early 2012? I graduate law school next spring, after which I'm supposed to do a six-month jaunt in sunny Afghanistan. If I applied next year and, in'shallah, got a conditional offer, would they be willing to take my deployment timeframe into consideration?

2) It seems rare that you guys actually get to make it out to DLI Monterey, if at all. Any idea why?

2b) Being privy to the occasional state cable in a past life, your reports are erudite as gently caress...to the point of some official once exasperatedly asking "What the gently caress does 'Lilliputian' mean?!". Do you poloff guys do that on purpose?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

dividebyzero posted:

Two questions, as I too am considering taking the FSOT:

1) It's hard to make predictions of course, but if you could venture a guess, do you all expect the hiring rush to continue into early 2012? I graduate law school next spring, after which I'm supposed to do a six-month jaunt in sunny Afghanistan. If I applied next year and, in'shallah, got a conditional offer, would they be willing to take my deployment timeframe into consideration?

2) It seems rare that you guys actually get to make it out to DLI Monterey, if at all. Any idea why?

2b) Being privy to the occasional state cable in a past life, your reports are erudite as gently caress...to the point of some official once exasperatedly asking "What the gently caress does 'Lilliputian' mean?!". Do you poloff guys do that on purpose?

1) I believe there are ways for people on active duty to suspend their candidacy for some amount of time. I don't know the details, though. Also, if you pass the FSOT, QEP and FSOA, once you're on the register you can tell the hiring officials that you won't be available to accept a call until after a certain date. Unlike the military bit I just discussed, this "do not call" status does count against your time limit on the register (but for six months should be doable). Another option would be to compete normally and, if given an offer, to accept it. I assume your A-Stan vacation is courtesy the Reserve or NG; if so, State will let you go to do your time if you enter on duty with the FS before deploying.

2) We have our own language school, which doesn't require uniforms or PT, at the Foreign Service Institute in Arlington, VA. The location is not as nice as Monterrey, but from all reports the language training is better.

2b) Yes.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I think after having said "erudite as gently caress" you're probably good to go on that count though.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Just found out that I'm 48/214 on POL. I don't expect to move up much in my score from seniority because it's a weird uncommon score (5.675). So hopefully there's a lot of DNCs above me.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Is that good?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
It's borderline I guess. They're calling something like 20 people in POL each class, sometimes more sometimes less. And presumably there are a bunch of DNC's ahead of me. So I hopefully can get an invite sometime in the next 6 months.

If I had been added to the register 2 months ago, I'd be like in the high 20's or low 30's.

-e- just kinda gnarly that there are like 200+ people on the register. Even if nobody else got put on, it would take those people 10 straight sets of invites to get hired and completely clear the list.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.
That R&R felt pretty drat good.

Sucks it takes 40 hours to get from Alaska to Central Africa.

Vilerat
May 11, 2002
Disregard this.

Vilerat fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Sep 13, 2010

dividebyzero
Jun 26, 2006

by angerbot

Business of Ferrets posted:

1) I believe there are ways for people on active duty to suspend their candidacy for some amount of time. I don't know the details, though. Also, if you pass the FSOT, QEP and FSOA, once you're on the register you can tell the hiring officials that you won't be available to accept a call until after a certain date. Unlike the military bit I just discussed, this "do not call" status does count against your time limit on the register (but for six months should be doable). Another option would be to compete normally and, if given an offer, to accept it. I assume your A-Stan vacation is courtesy the Reserve or NG; if so, State will let you go to do your time if you enter on duty with the FS before deploying.

Sweet, thank you very much!

2) We have our own language school, which doesn't require uniforms or PT, at the Foreign Service Institute in Arlington, VA. The location is not as nice as Monterrey, but from all reports the language training is better.

After some careful consideration, I believe you are correct about the quality being better. DLI trains people to be *military* translators, FSI or whatever it's called now is far more global as in, you'll likely never need to know how to say "medium, crew-served, air cooled machine gun" in your target language at FSI.

2b) Yes.

I loving KNEW IT!

SWATJester posted:

I think after having said "erudite as gently caress" you're probably good to go on that count though.

What can I say, you guys are just some loquacious motherfuckers.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

I have to say, as OK as Baghdad is, the best part of the place is not being there.

I'm really lovin' this R&R. . . . :unsmith:

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
What is the security clearance process like for FSOs? Do they have to go though the full lifestyle polygraph?

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Hey, so do any of the October FSOT peeps want to meet up for a study session or something?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Omits-Bagels posted:

What is the security clearance process like for FSOs? Do they have to go though the full lifestyle polygraph?

No, just a SSBI.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

TCD posted:

No, just a SSBI.

so I can continue having sex with animals?

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

I have to say, as OK as Baghdad is, the best part of the place is not being there.

I'm really lovin' this R&R. . . . :unsmith:

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~stefan/sa/SirenwithIncoming.wav

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Not even going to click on that link. . . .

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

Not even going to click on that link. . . .

Click it. You know you are going to anyways.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

gently caress me, I just got back on R&R and I need another one.

TCD fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darsh5000
Dec 10, 2005

#2Terms2Chainz
I just went to a State Department career session at my school (I'm still a junior in college), and the number of oppurtunities one can have as an FSO are really amazing. The recruiter mentioned something about increasing the number of accepted FSOs by 1/3 for the next few years--does anyone here know if that is true or not. I am definately going to start looking at the FSO test, and begin planning for it at this point.