Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Rebel Assault 1 and 2 :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I remember getting Gold Medals on every mission in Rogue Leader when I was 11 years old. It was the most difficult and thus greatest accomplishment of my life.

That of course left just the Endurance mission and well, gently caress that.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

:hfive:

gently caress the speeder bike sections though. gently caress them so hard.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

True fans played Rogue Squadron 3D! on PC with a joystick.

Never claimed I was a true fan, some of you guys easily blow me out of the water! Also, I personally am not a PC gamer.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Rogue Squadron seems such a weird game to play using a joystick. Too arcadey to need one.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Rebel Assault 2 was my first Star Wars game with dog-fighting in it (sort of), and is the very reason I love B-Wing so goddamn much. But the tunnel level in the not-Millennium Falcon was horseshit.

Also, I have never actually beaten the 2nd Death Star run in Rogue Squadron 2 :negative:

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

Sorry to break it to you, but those games sucked. Pointing-and-clicking is not a shooter. Steering through a corridor of arbitrary obstacles is not a piloting sim. It's like they took the best parts of a bunch of games and compressed them to 2D. Shadows of the Empire was basically rebel assault done right.

I really need to finish X-Wing Alliance.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Rogue Squadron seems such a weird game to play using a joystick. Too arcadey to need one.

I was 10 and it was the closest I could get to actually flying an X-Wing.

I also played SOTE on PC with a joystick, so who knows.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I remember beating Rogue Leader for the first time, in my dorm room like a year after I had the game. Still kicked rear end.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Someone should do an INFINITIES story where Qui-Gon lives and Obi-Wan dies against Maul.

It would change ALL of the movies, and would definitely make the prequels more interesting.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em

Kingtheninja posted:

I was so goddamn excited when I opened Rebel Assault 2 on Christmas eve. I wasn't so excited when the credits rolled 45 minutes later.

Ograbme fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 9, 2010

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Oh man oh man oh man I NEED to show you all this fanfic of truly epic proportions:

:nws: Riding the Wheel of If :nms:

So, Obi-Wan is distraught over Qui-Gonn's death because he never got to tell Qui-Gonn he loved him, when he accidentally makes a lightsaber that sends him to a parallel universe whenever it's switched on. Each universe is different - sometimes radically so - from the one he started out in, but the one constant is that each universe's Obi-Wan loves Qui-Gonn and vice versa. Obi-Wan hops through various universes and has adventures, all the while seeking a Qui-Gonn grieving the loss of his Obi-Wan. There is also lots and lots of gay sex. It's ridiculous and brain-breaking and amazing, and I encourage you all to see just how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 9, 2010

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Crowetron posted:

Also, I have never actually beaten the 2nd Death Star run in Rogue Squadron 2 :negative:

At least it didn't hypnotize you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4LcYJAmC1Q

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Welp finally dragged my rear end to play through god drat motherfucking TFU and I have a couple things to say:

1) Playing this game on PC with a mouse sucks balls. It's a lovely console port and it reeks of it. I also have a 360 controller that I used for some 2D fighters a while ago so I changed to that sucker and it was a lot better.

2) This fuckin game is pure heresy.

3) It's dumb

4) What kind of name is Starkiller? (RHETORICAL QUESTION)

5) Quicktime events.

6) This game is literally the worst. It's like everything wrong with AAA SuP0R BLoCKbuStER CONSOLE GAME and then on top of that you add a nice hefty dose of loving Star Wars in the rear end and horrible mauling of a Carrie Fisher voice. I mean, the Leia voice is so freaking wrong it's not even funny. I have an ex girlfriend who sounds just like her so maybe they should have hired her, or I don't know, maybe a voice actor and not a homeless woman. ( ?? )

Worst game. Worse two evenings ever. gently caress YOU GEORGE.

OH YEA it's buggy as gently caress the sounds would cut out every other level I have a pretty rad stable rig and I never have problems with anything ever. God damnit. I miss KOTOR and don't mention KOTOR2 because :qq:

e: crowetron i love your avatar/title combo i just wanted to throw that out there man

e2: starkiller holds his lightsaber like ahsoka which owns because that's the best way to hold a saber but but gently caress starkiller.

Smythe fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Sep 9, 2010

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tenn_Graneet

"Knowing that he had sent billions to their deaths, he soon came to see himself as the largest mass murderer in galactic history."

Awww, poor baby.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tenn_Graneet

"Knowing that he had sent billions to their deaths, he soon came to see himself as the largest mass murderer in galactic history."

Awww, poor baby.

So that dudes four seconds of hesitation was what gave Luke time to blow up the death star? Thanks again EU!

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Smythe posted:

4) What kind of name is Starkiller? (RHETORICAL QUESTION)

Just in case:
:eng101: It's the last name George Lucas originally wanted to give the protagonist of "The Star Wars" - I think it was "Kane Starkiller" or "Annikin Starkiller". But even "Luke Starkiller" made it pretty far into the later drafts until he had a change of heart. So it's not like they just pulled that name out of their asses.

It's still a stupid name, though.

deathsuxdontdie
Apr 12, 2004

Excellent Patient Care

Smythe posted:

6) This game is literally the worst. It's like everything wrong with AAA SuP0R BLoCKbuStER CONSOLE GAME and then on top of that you add a nice hefty dose of loving Star Wars in the rear end and horrible mauling of a Carrie Fisher voice. I mean, the Leia voice is so freaking wrong it's not even funny. I have an ex girlfriend who sounds just like her so maybe they should have hired her, or I don't know, maybe a voice actor and not a homeless woman. ( ?? )

The game was fun for about an hour of dicking around and killing things in neat ways I guess. It did pretty much blow and was a huge waste of 60 dollars when I bought it on 360. You're being wayyyyyyyy too loving edgy right now, though. Chill the gently caress out.

Also, the quoted part? Leia was played by Cat Taber, who voiced Mission Vao and is one of the best voice actresses out there right now. Lack of decent direction and lines, as well as poor casting, does not make a lovely voice actress.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Smythe posted:

Complaints about Force Unleashed

You numerous complaintsskipped over "Lightsaber does not 1-hit kill" and "Enemies can stunlock you to death with ease." That is what really impressed me about the game. Takes 5 seconds to realize the game is poo poo, then another hour to get stunlocked to death and quit.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If you can avoid giving yourself an aneurysm bitching about what TFU does to canon, it's actually a pretty fun game.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Yeah seriously I guess you guys hate fun or something. I don't even care about what it does to cannon, it's no worse than the prequels and dammit I enjoyed that game!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If you can avoid giving yourself an aneurysm bitching about what TFU does to canon, it's actually a pretty fun game.

It's fun enough but it's a sad abortion of a game compared to the Jedi Knight series.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

Smythe posted:

e2: starkiller holds his lightsaber like ahsoka which owns because that's the best way to hold a saber but but gently caress starkiller.
Sorry to bang this drum again, but no, it is in no way better. Reverse grip is pretty terrible as a style. It takes twice as long to learn and gives at very best a two second tactical advantage when you turn the thing on. Lastly; NO IT DOES NOT LOOK COOLER.

Ahem...

Not played TFU, so can't comment on the gameplay. Seen a mixed set of reviews, so perhaps its all down to personal taste.

The story is pretty loving stupid though. I really hate how the EU keeps inventing Jedi who survived Order 66. Back in 1977 two survived, and that was loving awesome. It was tragic, it made the Sith seem really powerful and it made them truly the plucky underdogs. Now there's close to, if not over, 100 survivors it just makes Vader and the Emperor seem incompetent.

I think it should have been done as an INFINITIES, but not with Starkiller. It should have been 'what if Anakin had defeated Obi-wan and kept the children?'

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Bene Elim posted:

Sorry to bang this drum again, but no, it is in no way better. Reverse grip is pretty terrible as a style. It takes twice as long to learn and gives at very best a two second tactical advantage when you turn the thing on. Lastly; NO IT DOES NOT LOOK COOLER.

quick gettin mad at lightsabres

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
TFU was fun, if only because force throwing things is a fantastic game mechanic. I would play a game based entirely around force throwing things and have a blast. If the canon thing really bothers you, just ignore its existence. It's really not that hard.

wookiepedia posted:

Graneet later fired the superlaser against the planet of Despayre. The destruction of Despayre took three shots to complete over the course of several hours. The first shot killed every living thing on the planet and cooked the surface of the planet. The second caused further tectonic stress to the planet, and the third shot finally blew the planet apart.

Honestly, this is probably the worst part of bad sci-fi. Just name the planet "Despair" and give it a backstory as a prison planet or something. Changing one letter of a common word does not make the new word sci-fi and awesome, it makes it obnoxious. It's not like poetry you fucks!

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em

TheLoquid posted:

Honestly, this is probably the worst part of bad sci-fi. Just name the planet "Despair" and give it a backstory as a prison planet or something. Changing one letter of a common word does not make the new word sci-fi and awesome, it makes it obnoxious. It's not like poetry you fucks!
This practice originated on the planet Obnokious.

deathsuxdontdie
Apr 12, 2004

Excellent Patient Care

Bene Elim posted:

The story is pretty loving stupid though. I really hate how the EU keeps inventing Jedi who survived Order 66. Back in 1977 two survived, and that was loving awesome. It was tragic, it made the Sith seem really powerful and it made them truly the plucky underdogs. Now there's close to, if not over, 100 survivors it just makes Vader and the Emperor seem incompetent.
'

To be fair, if someone wiped out an entire group of people that numbered in the millions to only 100 left on our own planet, that would be seen as pretty "powerful" and despicable. They wouldn't be considered incompetent. Now multiply that by dozens if not hundreds of planets all over an entire galaxy and they did a pretty good job at what they planned on doing. It does cheapen the "there are only a handful of us left" feel of the original trilogy a lot, but if you look at it from a real-world standpoint, it makes sense that they wouldn't have been able to find everyone but two people.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I'm going to write about a Jedi that holds his light saber with his elbow.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Jerk McJerkface posted:

So that dudes four seconds of hesitation was what gave Luke time to blow up the death star? Thanks again EU!

You know, of all the completely incidental and unmentioned characters in the Star Wars saga, this is one I actually quite like because unlike the nameless droids and Ewoks and the ice cream maker man and random cantina aliens, he pulls the trigger on the Death Star for a living.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

qntm posted:

You know, of all the completely incidental and unmentioned characters in the Star Wars saga, this is one I actually quite like because unlike the nameless droids and Ewoks and the ice cream maker man and random cantina aliens, he pulls the trigger on the Death Star for a living.

I wonder what the retirement package was for that position. Would it be a new Empire Social Security number, fake identity and a guarantee that they wouldn't blow up whatever world he retired to? I mean it would suck dick to be "that guy who blew up alderaan" in retirement.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Bene Elim posted:

Sorry, bud, but it actually looks hella cool.

And Smythe, I was gonna post about how wrong you were about TFU but you said nice things about my av, so we cool :3:

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Barudak posted:

I wonder what the retirement package was for that position. Would it be a new Empire Social Security number, fake identity and a guarantee that they wouldn't blow up whatever world he retired to? I mean it would suck dick to be "that guy who blew up alderaan" in retirement.

About the same as the guys who dropped the bombs on Japan, not all that great.

As for TFU gently caress the haters the game its self is just fun. Don't even think of it as cannon if it bothers you that much, just a neat little what if type of story. Though why Lucus did ok it as G cannon is just odd.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
Bad thread. Stop saying nice things about TFU. If Lucasarts hears they might make a third one.

EDIT: Yea fun gameplay. Let me point my whole body at the object to select it for force rape. Why would that be awkward?

deathsuxdontdie
Apr 12, 2004

Excellent Patient Care

Throb Robinson posted:

Bad thread. Stop saying nice things about TFU. If Lucasarts hears they might make a third one.

Didn't they already say this was pretty much the plan?

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Darth Freddy posted:

Though why Lucus did ok it as G cannon is just odd.

I keep reading this here, but I can never find a reference for it. Where does Lucas declare it canon?

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

deathsuxdontdie posted:

Didn't they already say this was pretty much the plan?

The third one got canned when the new guy took over Lucus Arts and fired every one.

NGL posted:

I keep reading this here, but I can never find a reference for it. Where does Lucas declare it canon?

It was in the original interviews for when the game was coming out. I can't find any links about the interview its self but you can problem dig it up on Xbox live . The Wiki does state the "light side" ending is canon.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?
I think the worst thing about TFU, not even considering the plot, is how easy it is to get stunlocked into loving oblivion by basically any enemy.

I mean, Darth Vader can trap you in a never-ending Force Grip. You can QTE out of it, but he immediately grabs you again as soon as you break free. The only way out is letting him hurl you into a wall. That's bullshit.

deathsuxdontdie
Apr 12, 2004

Excellent Patient Care

Slantedfloors posted:

I think the worst thing about TFU, not even considering the plot, is how easy it is to get stunlocked into loving oblivion by basically any enemy.

I mean, Darth Vader can trap you in a never-ending Force Grip. You can QTE out of it, but he immediately grabs you again as soon as you break free. The only way out is letting him hurl you into a wall. That's bullshit.

I didn't have any issue with this at all. My biggest problem was that I paid an assload of money for a game that I beat in 4 hours. And an hour of that was trying to make the goddamn Star Destroyer crash because the things it told you to do on screen weren't loving correct. If they want to charge 50-60 dollars for a game, it shouldn't be something that lasts you the length of a long movie, which are like 15 bucks to enjoy. Modern Warfare 2 was the same way.

happy cabbage
Mar 1, 2008

Where did I put that sunscreen?

Barudak posted:

In Death Star he was actually like "welp im hosed going to be known as planet killer rest of my life"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Darth Freddy posted:

The Wiki does state the "light side" ending is canon.

Yeah, but the wiki says that for pretty much every game (e.g. KOTOR, Jedi Knight, etc.)