Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

TLG James posted:

So if I'm a Veteran with ~8 years of experience in releated fields with a BS degree I should be fine applying?

I hate to say "it depends" ... but it depends on the job posting, agency, etc. Just read the requirements carefully. I would say that if you have that much experience in the field including work same quality of work/responsibility that a GS-7 would have in the job you are applying for, you would probably qualify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Tesoro posted:

Hope I answered everything you wanted. Fire away if anyone wants to know anything else.

Thanks for the answers! I appreciate it!

The only remaining question I have probably isn't one you can answer, which is "why is it so loving hard to get a job there?!?" I've been applying for five years now. :lol:
(Though the answer almost certainly lies in combination of pay and flexibility, combined with number of applicants trying to get out of the unstable science fields right now. :()

Tesoro
Nov 18, 2004
ohmygod

Sundae posted:

Thanks for the answers! I appreciate it!

The only remaining question I have probably isn't one you can answer, which is "why is it so loving hard to get a job there?!?" I've been applying for five years now. :lol:
(Though the answer almost certainly lies in combination of pay and flexibility, combined with number of applicants trying to get out of the unstable science fields right now. :()

What's your major? We're focusing hiring on backlog areas. If you have a CSE or EE degree apply or re-apply right now, as that's where our business needs are and we're about to hire a huge class in those fields. If not, I strongly encourage you to try to navigate through uspto.gov and identify points of contacts in the most relavent field to yours. Once you identify them, e-mail them until you get a response asking for further information or where to direct a resume, something like that. This tactic worked for me, but I also had experience that mirrored the office's business needs at the time (EE degree).

If you know they are recruiting at your alma matter, GO TO THE JOB FAIR THAT THEY WILL BE PRESENT AT. Find a way to get in and meet a representative. Typically they show up at engineering job fairs. If you weren't an engineering major, try to get permission to attend anyway and talk to the recruiters in person. This will be a great contact for having your resume forwarded to the right area.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Biological engineering, currently employed as a pharmaceutical scientist. Have already applied for this most recent batch of openings.

I met with the hiring representatives at my former school (Cornell University) twice, had interviews, and then never heard back again. Also never got any phone answers in spite of being told "if you haven't heard back in two weeks, call me at this number".

My school's about a six hour drive from me now, so it'd take a bit of planning to go back again admittedly. I have some time to plan, though - the next career fair I could even hope to make it to isn't until winter.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 9, 2010

Tesoro
Nov 18, 2004
ohmygod

Sundae posted:

Biological engineering, currently employed as a pharmaceutical scientist. Have already applied for this most recent batch of openings.

I met with the hiring representatives at my former school (Cornell University) twice, had interviews, and then never heard back again. Also never got any phone answers in spite of being told "if you haven't heard back in two weeks, call me at this number".

My school's about a six hour drive from me now, so it'd take a bit of planning to go back again admittedly. I have some time to plan, though - the next career fair I could even hope to make it to isn't until winter.

It's possible that you flopped the interview. After my interview, I got an e-mail almost immediately saying i've been recommended for the position, am i interested, something like that. Did you receive this?

If so, just keep following up. It literally took weeks of my harassing the recruiters to get a response. If not, something ticked the interviewer off.

If these interviews were ages ago, it's time to try again. I'd e-mail a recruiter weekly until you get a response if I were you. Barring that, I'd make the hell trip to visit the job fair at Cornell if you want this job as badly as it seems you do. We are hiring BMEs.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Ugh, why would you go to law school.

Did you not read the megathread?

Joshie
Oct 29, 2001

MAYOR OF PIGTOWN

TLG James posted:

So if I'm a Veteran with ~8 years of experience in releated fields with a BS degree I should be fine applying?

I would say yes to this. I got a GS-9 position coming out of 6 years of service, although the position I got was actually the civilian conversion of my previous military position. 8 years of service with a resume written to demonstrate that you actually did things pertinent to the new position will look very good.

Tesoro
Nov 18, 2004
ohmygod

SWATJester posted:

Megathread doesn't appear to apply to me. I like law school and I'm incurring no debt. I have a secure job with flexibility that makes the balance really easy. There's a high likelihood my entire tuition will be taken care of by uncle sam pretty soon anyway. Networking with lots of smart and engaging people. Not relying on my degree for a job. Where's the downside?

Thanks for your concern though.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Tesoro posted:

Megathread doesn't appear to apply to me. I like law school and I'm incurring no debt. I have a secure job with flexibility that makes the balance really easy. There's a high likelihood my entire tuition will be taken care of by uncle sam pretty soon anyway. Networking with lots of smart and engaging people. Not relying on my degree for a job. Where's the downside?

Thanks for your concern though.

The opportunity cost of being able to do something else with those 3 years of your life if you're obviously not getting anything out of it?

Tesoro
Nov 18, 2004
ohmygod

SWATJester posted:

The opportunity cost of being able to do something else with those 3 years of your life if you're obviously not getting anything out of it?

Doesn't appear to be much of one. I greatly enjoy going to class and learning. The knowledge is practical. I am getting something out of it. There's no other discipline i'm interested in learning more about at the moment, and I have time to pursue other hobbies and pleasure like learning guitar, keeping a girlfriend, etc. Is there something I'm missing here, or are you projecting your own lamentations on me?

edit: happily, it's 4 years of my life, not 3 that I get to continue enjoying learning the law :)

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Tesoro posted:

Doesn't appear to be much of one. I greatly enjoy going to class and learning. The knowledge is practical. I am getting something out of it. There's no other discipline i'm interested in learning more about at the moment, and I have time to pursue other hobbies and pleasure like learning guitar, keeping a girlfriend, etc. Is there something I'm missing here, or are you projecting your own lamentations on me?

edit: happily, it's 4 years of my life, not 3 that I get to continue enjoying learning the law :)

Not really. I went with no debt as well and I have a job.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I hate to break it to you, but there is no big lie, there is no system. The universe is indifferent.

TLG James posted:

More than fine. You are well-qualified, if you've graduated.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

SWATJester posted:

Every time someone says to me, "hey why don't you go to law school", I wish I could just print out the megathread and show them. It would make things so much easier.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

TLG James posted:

So if I'm a Veteran ...I should be fine applying?

Yes.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
I'm a Wage Hour Investigator (formerly Compliance Officer) with the Department of Labor.

If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Kinda off topic since it is a contractor job but is anyone familiar with a company called USIS?

Have an interview coming up and I have been hearing some bad stuff about them after some google searching. Wondering if I am walking into something that wouldn't be the stepping stone I was hoping for.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Gravel Gravy posted:

Kinda off topic since it is a contractor job but is anyone familiar with a company called USIS?

Have an interview coming up and I have been hearing some bad stuff about them after some google searching. Wondering if I am walking into something that wouldn't be the stepping stone I was hoping for.

A good friend from college worked as a USIS investigator for a year or two before becoming a cop. What do you wnat to know? They aren't particularly well paid but the hours didn't sound too bad and he got a car.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Tortilla Maker posted:

I'm a Wage Hour Investigator (formerly Compliance Officer) with the Department of Labor.

If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Holy poo poo. This thread is like Christmas to me. First a USPTO guy, then WHD. I've just PM'd you.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
I'm an engineer working for the Air Force, you can go ahead and add me to the OP if you want.

No I don't wear a uniform. No I'm not in the Army. Yes I am civil service. You wouldn't believe the people who don't believe in DOD civilians.

I was hired on as a part of the Palace Acquire Intern program. If you're a recent grad in a technical field you should definitely check it out. They accept some nontechnical people but it's much easier to get in with an engineering or science degree.

http://www.afciviliancareers.com/careers/hiringopportunities/students/palace/

I'm currently looking at jobs at overseas bases since it would be a great way to see the world while advancing my career at the same time. The Air Force loves breadth of experience and time spent overseas.

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

Tesoro posted:

Going to law school.

This is truly horrible.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Tyro posted:

A good friend from college worked as a USIS investigator for a year or two before becoming a cop. What do you wnat to know? They aren't particularly well paid but the hours didn't sound too bad and he got a car.

Meh, that was what I thought the job was that I was being interviewed for this morning. Left disappointed.

Though I don't suppose they would be most likely give away a clearance since they tend to half rear end them just for the sake of a buck>

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 11, 2010

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Sooooo, just got a voicemail from the NGA saying that they want to offer me a job! Holy crap. For you government workers, any chance I'd actually start this job in less than a year?

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

CherryCola posted:

Sooooo, just got a voicemail from the NGA saying that they want to offer me a job! Holy crap. For you government workers, any chance I'd actually start this job in less than a year?

I guess those language skills paid off. Congratulations.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Omits-Bagels posted:

I guess those language skills paid off. Congratulations.

I just hope I can actually use some of those language skills in this job. It seems like it will be mostly analyzing imagery. BUT WHATEVER! JOB! PAYCHECK! BENEFITS! Oh god I'm so happy that coming to DC wasn't a waste.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Hey, congratulations! Do you have any background doing imaging work, or were you able to swing some other experience? I'm curious because I've seen NGA's hiring page, and it seems like they mostly want engineer/hard science types.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

suboptimal posted:

Hey, congratulations! Do you have any background doing imaging work, or were you able to swing some other experience? I'm curious because I've seen NGA's hiring page, and it seems like they mostly want engineer/hard science types.

Nope, I have South Asia regional expertise and I guess I convinced them that I am a super fast learner and super smart and awesome. The voicemail specifically said that they want to offer me a position with the agency, so they must have liked something!!

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I hate to break it to you, but there is no big lie, there is no system. The universe is indifferent.

CherryCola posted:

Told you.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Zoo posted:

Told you.

You sure did! Now I just need to make sure I don't run out of money before I actually start getting a paycheck. I might be getting a temporary offer from a contractor which would help if it actually does take a whole year to do my clearance. Does the NGA ever give out interim clearance?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

CherryCola posted:

Nope, I have South Asia regional expertise and I guess I convinced them that I am a super fast learner and super smart and awesome. The voicemail specifically said that they want to offer me a position with the agency, so they must have liked something!!

Maybe you can help me out, I haven't been able to submit a thing on their application page and they never return my calls.

When you are filling out the education history, I try to type parts of my university's name, the whole thing but it just can't find it.

Who'da thunk that no universities start with "University of..." :downs:

Also do you have a Master's Degree or a B.A.?

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Gravel Gravy posted:

Maybe you can help me out, I haven't been able to submit a thing on their application page and they never return my calls.

When you are filling out the education history, I try to type parts of my university's name, the whole thing but it just can't find it.

Who'da thunk that no universities start with "University of..." :downs:

Also do you have a Master's Degree or a B.A.?

I have an M.A. If I remember correctly, some just start with Univ. That thing is pretty picky. Try experimenting with different abbreviation.

edit: Just talked to the recruiting lady and accepted a VERY NICE offer. Kinda sucks that I can't actually start for at least six months, though. Welp, back to applying for other crap.

double edit: A bit terrified of this security clearance process though. I've been pretty much a goodie-goodie for most of my life, but I'm worried some old, forgotten and misconstrued crap will come back to bit me on the arse.

CherryCola fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 16, 2010

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

CherryCola posted:

I have an M.A. If I remember correctly, some just start with Univ. That thing is pretty picky. Try experimenting with different abbreviation.

edit: Just talked to the recruiting lady and accepted a VERY NICE offer. Kinda sucks that I can't actually start for at least six months, though. Welp, back to applying for other crap.

double edit: A bit terrified of this security clearance process though. I've been pretty much a goodie-goodie for most of my life, but I'm worried some old, forgotten and misconstrued crap will come back to bit me on the arse.

Just be up front and honest, they are looking for people who aren't going to lie or bullshit them, not saints.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

CherryCola posted:

What level do you need?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm sure a lot of you are aware that the IRS is hiring a lot of revenue officers all over the U.S.. I happen to graduate with a bachelors in business at the beginning of December.

The job posting ended a 5 days ago so I checked my application status and it says: Grade 07:Scheduling for ROSA

Can anyone tell me what this means? Any tips on the ROSA (I assume it's a test of some sort)? Does anyone have any idea how many officers the IRS is hiring? Any other tips in regard to the hiring process from here on out?

This would be an absolute dream job for me - good pay, great location (I picked the office in Portland, where I've always wanted to live), job stability, benefits, ect. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Corbet posted:

I'm sure a lot of you are aware that the IRS is hiring a lot of revenue officers all over the U.S.. I happen to graduate with a bachelors in business at the beginning of December.

The job posting ended a 5 days ago so I checked my application status and it says: Grade 07:Scheduling for ROSA

Can anyone tell me what this means? Any tips on the ROSA (I assume it's a test of some sort)? Does anyone have any idea how many officers the IRS is hiring? Any other tips in regard to the hiring process from here on out?

This would be an absolute dream job for me - good pay, great location (I picked the office in Portland, where I've always wanted to live), job stability, benefits, ect. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I have a friend who is a revenue officer but I don't have a clue. I'll ask him what you should expect if I see him. Not to be a downer, but my advice is not to go all crazy town until you have received a definite starting date.

Also: Your avatar is goddamn nightmare fuel.

Edit: Do you know if you're applying for a field or office position? If you're going to be a field officer, I hope you like the show "Operation Repo."

Digital Prophet fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 17, 2010

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Pompous Rhombus posted:

What level do you need?

Top Secret with Polygraph. I'm kind of worried I'm going to fail the polygraph right out because I have this weird guilty anxiety thing even when I haven't actually done anything wrong. Just have to hope for the best, I guess!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

CherryCola posted:

Top Secret with Polygraph. I'm kind of worried I'm going to fail the polygraph right out because I have this weird guilty anxiety thing even when I haven't actually done anything wrong. Just have to hope for the best, I guess!

Nice! I'm the same way (and just skeptical about polygraphs in general), but I imagine they get a lot of people like that.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Oh here's another big questions. So the security clearance process can take from like 6 months to a year. I'm about to interview for another really jawesome position which is a yearlong contract. If I get this job, would I be able to just tell the NGA to take their time and not put me on assignment until the year is up?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Gawain The Blind posted:

I have a friend who is a revenue officer but I don't have a clue. I'll ask him what you should expect if I see him. Not to be a downer, but my advice is not to go all crazy town until you have received a definite starting date.

Also: Your avatar is goddamn nightmare fuel.

Edit: Do you know if you're applying for a field or office position? If you're going to be a field officer, I hope you like the show "Operation Repo."

Yeah, it's a longshot, but I can only try. The listing doesn't say anything about a field position, but apparently it's for the Self Employed / Small Business division and has to do with collecting delinquent taxes. I happen to love Operation Repo.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Corbet posted:

Yeah, it's a longshot, but I can only try. The listing doesn't say anything about a field position, but apparently it's for the Self Employed / Small Business division and has to do with collecting delinquent taxes. I happen to love Operation Repo.

too bad the show is completely scripted and fake
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Repo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

CherryCola posted:

Oh here's another big questions. So the security clearance process can take from like 6 months to a year. I'm about to interview for another really jawesome position which is a yearlong contract. If I get this job, would I be able to just tell the NGA to take their time and not put me on assignment until the year is up?

If the contract requires a clearance I think that you can only have one background investigation for a clearance at a time. Not sure though.