Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

how the hell do you clean a saitek eclipse II

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

wigtrade.cc posted:

pop all the keys off with a flathead screwdriver, toss them in the dishwasher, turn off the drying cycle, let them air dry. Hand clean the inside of the keyboard with a q-tip dipped in rubbing alchohol and wash the outside with a paper tower.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

wigtrade.cc posted:

These guys can help too if you need a bit of reassurance:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/peripherals/2009/07/05/the-best-way-to-clean-your-keyboard/3

If its out of your comfort zone, read the two pages before it, they have less exotic methods.

Asomodai
Jun 4, 2005

POSTING IN TFR = DONT ASK DONT TELL AM I RITE?
Hey guys.

I have decided to ditch my Logitech G15 V1. Its getting pretty well used and gunked up. The keys are far too small and the backlighting is very finicky.

I have grown accustomed to using the LCD screen whilst gaming and would require one in my next keyboard (or a seperate attachment.)

However i would also like my next keyboard to actually be decent typingwise, i feel the G15 is just a cheap tacky keyboard with an LCD screen tacked onto it.

Are there any options out there for me? (Outboard LCD screens for example so i can go and buy a DAS keyboard?)Is the G19 any good?

Asomodai fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 4, 2010

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The new razer's have an option for a LCD, I think. They should offer cherry keys as well. Read the last couple pages.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I really wish I could get a desktop version of the keyboard on the Asus eeePC 1000HE. The keys feel so great and the layout of the fn key and pgup/pgdown/home etc. makes navigating around code feel easier than a full sized keyboard. At the moment I'm using an Apple wired aluminium keyboard but it's not the same~~~

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Asomodai posted:

Are there any options out there for me? (Outboard LCD screens for example so i can go and buy a DAS keyboard?)Is the G19 any good?

How about this?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/techies/7e3e/

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone share their experiences with the various external 10-keypads out there?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

My Logitech Ultra-X is dying and I'd like to replace it. I bought it for the following features:

1. Scissor keys
2. Cheap
3. Wired USB
4. Normal horizontal enter, regular detached Insert/Home/PgUp etc.

Any ideas for a replacement? The Logitech Illuminated keyboard looks nice but not $70 nice. I use this keyboard at work to type emails; I'd prefer not to spend a lot of money.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Chemmy posted:

My Logitech Ultra-X is dying and I'd like to replace it. I bought it for the following features:

1. Scissor keys
2. Cheap
3. Wired USB

Any ideas for a replacement? The Logitech Illuminated keyboard looks nice but not $70 nice. I use this keyboard at work to type emails; I'd prefer not to spend a lot of money.

If you really want, you can sign up for the Best Buy auction site. and pick one up for $25~ if you don't mind an open box.

fishbacon
Nov 4, 2009
wonderful yet strange smell

Chemmy posted:

1. Scissor keys
2. Cheap
3. Wired USB

The default Dell USB keyboard can be recommended, I believe they're quite cheap and they are not bad keyboards at all.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Etrips posted:

If you really want, you can sign up for the Best Buy auction site. and pick one up for $25~ if you don't mind an open box.

I don't mind at all. Thanks.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

What do people think of the weird keyboards, like these:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/keyboards-mice/8193/

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/keyboards-mice/5a7f/

Although the roll-up one might be okay, I've always thought that projector one would be really difficult to use if you're just typing on a flat wooden desk. Tactile feedback would rate up there with trying to text on an iPhone.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The roll-up keyboards are kind of trash, too squishy too get any real typing done. The other one looks interesting, I wonder how well it actually works.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Tab8715 posted:

The other one looks interesting, I wonder how well it actually works.

I heard it's crap from thinkgeek I think.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Tab8715 posted:

The roll-up keyboards are kind of trash, too squishy too get any real typing done. The other one looks interesting, I wonder how well it actually works.
Very poorly. They are, arguably, _the_ worst keyboards in production today.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fleshweasel posted:

Can anyone share their experiences with the various external 10-keypads out there?

Hoping to hear something about this!

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Tab8715 posted:

The other one looks interesting, I wonder how well it actually works.

I seem to recall the review I read said that it worked surprisingly well in a pinch but that it depended on having a steady, flat surface available and that the lack of tactile response made it frustrating over any significant length of time.

Pretty much exactly what you'd expect really.

One Swell Foop fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 10, 2010

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

fleshweasel posted:

Hoping to hear something about this!

I'm a big fan of my Filco keypad. The same great mechanical switches, and it's got enough weight behind it to stay still while I'm using it.

fragem666
May 29, 2010
While I think the mouse is important while gaming, I can't say the same thing about keyboards.

Any cheapo keyboard will do with gaming unless you are playing a game like guitar hero.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Well the education discount makes a Das Keyboard a viable deal. I come from a rubber domed background of sadness. I will be gaming and typing equally.

Im debating between Silent Model and the Normal Model. Which one works best for a butt-load of gaming and a butt-load of typing?

eborp
Apr 23, 2007

That all depends on how comfortable you are with the noise these mechanical keyboards make. Personally it gets on my nerves when someone else is click-clacking away but when I am the source of said clacking it goes unnoticed.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I have to compete with noise in this house. We always seem to have a parade going on so I may just get the blue CLKACKACLKALKCALKCLKS. Oorrr..

Will the Silent Browns still be louder than a flat keyed rubber dome? I hate how quiet my MS Media 3000 is.

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Remember not to use restricted post tags next time.
Just ordered one of those Logitech illuminated keyboards for my girlfriend to use with a docking station and Dell U2410 panel. Is she going to like this thing for productivity? I basically just ordered due to the ratings on NewEgg. Other than the gaming flaw/defect I read about.. how is the key travel on this thing?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

diehlr posted:

Just ordered one of those Logitech illuminated keyboards for my girlfriend to use with a docking station and Dell U2410 panel. Is she going to like this thing for productivity? I basically just ordered due to the ratings on NewEgg. Other than the gaming flaw/defect I read about.. how is the key travel on this thing?

Travel is shorter than normal and not as springy but i have nothing bad to say about it productivity wise and happily use it every day.

What gaming flaw/defect are you referring to btw?

I use it in conjunction with a Logitech G13 gamepad for gaming and haven`t discovered anything nasty so far. :ohdear:

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Remember not to use restricted post tags next time.
Something along the lines of if you hold shift while pressing W, A and then press the space bar, some key doesn't register as being pressed? I can't remember exactly, but it's a scenario she would never, ever run into in her life.

Blackclaw
Jan 4, 2008

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER HAS A BETTER CHANCE OF RELEASING IN AUSTRALIA THAN ROCK BAND EVER WILL

MMD3 posted:

Can anyone who has been playing Starcraft 2 on a logitech tell me how I can set up my macro (g) keys?

I was typing out some big-rear end reply on how to use the macro-recording setting until I realised you were probably asking for suggested macros. Sorry, man, I can't really help you. A lot of Starcraft is moving the mouse, and Logitech's macro keys don't emulate mouse movement (only clicks). They're currently unused for me, however they would make ideal replacements for simple buttons that may be away from each other on the keyboard (S, T, B, A, etc). On the G15/G19/G110, this is especially good because you have three macro groups (M1/M2/M3) and three races. Just my suggestion.

edit: there's some info on https://www.g15forums.com regarding SC2 with the keybinding software. It IS possible to emulate mouse movement, but only through Lua programming.

Blackclaw fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 13, 2010

Blackclaw
Jan 4, 2008

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER HAS A BETTER CHANCE OF RELEASING IN AUSTRALIA THAN ROCK BAND EVER WILL
Making a double-post so I can ask my own question. Hope that's cool.

I've been struggling to find an apt replacement for my G15v1, since the G510 has yet to arrive in any store remotely near where I live (Australia). Because the G13 has taken a nose-dive in price recently (for some reason), I'm planning to buy one when my new computer comes in.

My problem now is trying to find an appropriate keyboard to go with it. Macro keys or screens won't matter since that's all that the G15's good for. However, I still want the keyboard to be backlit.

Here's the list of the keyboards I've considered.

Logitech Illuminated - Can't find it anywhere in stores locally or online. I'd have said "it might not be in the country yet either", but I'm seeing reviews for this dated 2 years ago.
Logitech G110 - Good, but I believe that the keys are reported to be smaller than 'standard', and that'll require a lot of getting used to that I'd rather avoid.
Razer Lycosa - I've seen multiple complaints regarding keys not working and the media keys behaving improperly. Also that the keyboard requires frequent cleaning and the keyboard requiring two USB ports on its own (confirm/deny?).
Logitech G15v2 - This would be the ideal solution, but I'm worried that the software may not work with both the G13 and G15 connected at the same time.
Logitech G19 - Similar to above, also it's expensive as hell and not really appealing.

So yeah. I'm fresh out of ideas. Anyone got any? If you want, you can compare it to the list of products available online (Umart generally stock/list everything available)

e: I can see the Illuminated on other sites but from what I see they have "slimline" keys, how different is this from regular keys, game-wise? I own a laptop so I should know, but I use my desktop keyboard for that too.

Blackclaw fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 13, 2010

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Typical scenario here: Guy on the other side of my cube doesn't like to hear me type. I don't type particularly loud, but my work-provided Dell keyboard is clearly not quiet enough. I would normally tell the guy to mind his own business but he's mentioned it to my manager, so it's better if I just get a quiet keyboard than to fight it.

So, what's out there that's ultra quiet? Must be:

-Full Size (with num pad, etc)
-Standard form (windows keys, normal size backspace, etc), no curve..

Otherwise I dont care about the feel, whatever... ONLY noise level. I can adjust to a diff feel, I can't adjust the noise level.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Blaise posted:

Typical scenario here: Guy on the other side of my cube doesn't like to hear me type. I don't type particularly loud, but my work-provided Dell keyboard is clearly not quiet enough. I would normally tell the guy to mind his own business but he's mentioned it to my manager, so it's better if I just get a quiet keyboard than to fight it.

Otherwise I dont care about the feel, whatever... ONLY noise level. I can adjust to a diff feel, I can't adjust the noise level.

Logitech Illuminated sounds good for you ! (I use two at work)

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

Blackclaw posted:

Logitech G110 - Good, but I believe that the keys are reported to be

I didn't notice anything like this, there might be a bit of a difference in size but nothing dramatic. I came from a Logitech Elite MX keyboard, the wireless one paired with the MX700. The only thing I needed to get used to was the G-keys since the keyboard does extend to the left more than usual so sometimes I pressed them when intending to hit tab or esc, this ended pretty fast though.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Blackclaw posted:

stuff

Logitech just released the G510 keyboard. Its a mix of the G110 and G15 in terms of features. Plus, its illuminated and you can customize the color.

Blackclaw
Jan 4, 2008

From the question post.

Blackclaw posted:

I've been struggling to find an apt replacement for my G15v1, since the G510 has yet to arrive in any store remotely near where I live (Australia).

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Blackclaw posted:

From the question post.

New razer mechanical? If you can wait that is i guess.

Blackclaw
Jan 4, 2008

I think I just might have to wait for the G510. However, since it'll be similar to the G110, I wonder if it'll still have those smaller keys...

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Blaise posted:

If you have a BJ's warehouse store near you they have Logitech MK300 wireless desktop sets for $20. It's a simple standard layout keyboard with those not-quite-laptop style low profile keys, similar to the Logitech illuminated but smaller and cheaper.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

diehlr posted:

Something along the lines of if you hold shift while pressing W, A and then press the space bar, some key doesn't register as being pressed? I can't remember exactly, but it's a scenario she would never, ever run into in her life.

I had one of the logitech illuminated keyboards and while it was nice, it had this issue. W+Shift would work, but when tapping Space, the Space (jump) wouldn't register.

Some people are lucky and have versions that work normally.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Blackclaw posted:

Logitech G110 - Good, but I believe that the keys are reported to be smaller than 'standard', and that'll require a lot of getting used to that I'd rather avoid.
Logitech G15v2 - This would be the ideal solution, but I'm worried that the software may not work with both the G13 and G15 connected at the same time.
Logitech G19 - Similar to above, also it's expensive as hell and not really appealing.
Since I designed all three of these, I'll answer your questions about them.

The G110 has the same size keys as all the other G-Series keyboards. The contact area at the top of the QWERTY keys is 12mm by 14mm. I'm pretty sure that people who say that they're smaller don't own rulers.
The Profiler software for the G13 also works with all the G-Series keyboards as well - G11, G110, both G15s, G510, and G19. Macros you create for a profile can be assigned to either device if you have a G13 and one of these keyboards. If you have a G510 or a G19, it can even synchronize the backlighting color between them.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Goo posted:

Since I designed all three of these, I'll answer your questions about them.

Man, I love this place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Goo posted:

Since I designed all three of these, I'll answer your questions about them
Will logitech be making any mechanical keyboards?

• Locked thread