Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Z3n posted:

It's the line that goes from the brake fluid reservoir to the master cylinder. You'll need to replace the MC. The mirrors mount to the front of the fairing.

This is a good time to upgrade to a better MC, afaik certain years of R6 MC are a direct bolt on.
You can buy mirror clamps that fit on the clipons behind the switchgear that you can mount generic mirrors to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Anyone have an opinion on this?

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/1930311698.html

1750 is a decent price, the front forks got bent and subsequently replaced. It apparently only has a speedometer, the tach is broken I do believe. It also needs a new left turn signal assembly and headlight assembly.

Worth it to talk the guy down to 1400-1500 and order up the parts needed to fix it? An aftermarket tach looks like it's about 300ish, flushmounts and a streetfighter'd out headlight from acerbis or similar should be about 100.

What do you guys think? Also, where is the best SV parts website?

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

JP Money posted:

Anyone have an opinion on this?

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/1930311698.html

1750 is a decent price, the front forks got bent and subsequently replaced. It apparently only has a speedometer, the tach is broken I do believe. It also needs a new left turn signal assembly and headlight assembly.

Worth it to talk the guy down to 1400-1500 and order up the parts needed to fix it? An aftermarket tach looks like it's about 300ish, flushmounts and a streetfighter'd out headlight from acerbis or similar should be about 100.

What do you guys think? Also, where is the best SV parts website?

I dunno with woodcrafts, possible bent forks, and other poo poo...I'd say it went down hard on the track.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

schreibs posted:

I dunno with woodcrafts, possible bent forks, and other poo poo...I'd say it went down hard on the track.

The guy claims he used to race sv's and bought this thing off a buddy who owns a shop nearby when it was brought in. He claims the previous owner lowsided into a curb and wrecked the front suspension, which I can believe as the front left signal is also broken and short of him sliding into a wall here at TWS I can't see a lowside on the track bending forks short of something really odd happening like running wide into a wall of tires or a barrier.

He said he replaced the front end with one that he had on a spare sv in his shop, so we'll see how much holds true. The rearsets he claimed were a spare set he had laying around that he threw on. If it drives straight and isn't beat to hell I think I'll pull the trigger (albeit for as low a price as I can get.) I'd hopefully like to get out with spending 2000 or less when all is said and done.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

JP Money posted:

The guy claims he used to race sv's and bought this thing off a buddy who owns a shop nearby when it was brought in. He claims the previous owner lowsided into a curb and wrecked the front suspension, which I can believe as the front left signal is also broken and short of him sliding into a wall here at TWS I can't see a lowside on the track bending forks short of something really odd happening like running wide into a wall of tires or a barrier.

He said he replaced the front end with one that he had on a spare sv in his shop, so we'll see how much holds true. The rearsets he claimed were a spare set he had laying around that he threw on. If it drives straight and isn't beat to hell I think I'll pull the trigger (albeit for as low a price as I can get.) I'd hopefully like to get out with spending 2000 or less when all is said and done.

Houston huh. Going out to TWS on labor day? I'll be the noob on the red sv650s.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

Hopefully someone can give me some advice; I just purchased a 2008 gsxr600 shock to ideally mount on my SV, anyone able to give me a brief rundown of what I should expect when doing this job?

lordofokra
Aug 6, 2005

approach light speed and break apart

King of all Machines Operate posted:

What's missing in the picture? What's the bit by the lever that seems to have snapped off? I think my 2nd gen SV naked had the reservoir as part of the master. What is it like on the 1st gen?

Bike looks alright otherwise? I'm going to check it out tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully it's not sold by then.

This may be a long shot but is that bike in King of Prussia / Norristown area? My friend looked at a bike that looked exactly like that, no front fairing etc. If it's the same bike, my friend was told it won't pass inspection because of no turn signals and some other business. I can ask him what all the reasons were if it turns out to be the same bike.

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Nope, it's in San Diego and someone bought it two hours before I was going to check it out :(

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
What kind of price should I expect for a 2007 SV with less than 4,000 miles and all stock? Assuming everything checks out of course? I'm in southern california. I'm trying to get a better sense of the market.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

ynotony posted:

What kind of price should I expect for a 2007 SV with less than 4,000 miles and all stock? Assuming everything checks out of course? I'm in southern california. I'm trying to get a better sense of the market.

I paid 3900 for my 2007 S(ABS) with 2500 on the clock. Not stock though, came with slip on, adjustable levers, LED blinkers and some other bits.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

ynotony posted:

i paid 3300 for a 2006 (no abs) with 8k miles.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Some friends and I were working on our bikes today. We replaced the chain and sprockets on mine. I have an '01 naked SV650.
The install went fine, but we ran into a problem after putting everything back together: the clutch no longer disengages.
Everything seems to be working (pull clutch lever; cables pull; screw assembly twists; push rod goes in) but the clutch just doesn't disengage.
We adjusted the cables multiple times, but nothing. At one point, we screwed the screw in the screw assembly as far in as possible, and the clutch disengaged. We unscrewed it until the clutch reengaged then pulled in the clutch lever. The clutch didn't disengage, and all we heard was a squeaking inside the clutch itself.
The only thing we noticed is that one of the ball bearings is missing from inside the screw assembly.
Did we miss something, or am I screwed and need a new clutch?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Have you pulled the clutch cover? Pull that and take a look at things. Can you take a picture of the screw assembly? I'm not quite sure what you're referring to there.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The screw is #18 in this picture. The clutch screw assembly is #17.
http://www.bikebandit.com/2001-suzuki-motorcycle-sv650k1-clutch/o/m6708sch277874

Unfortunately, I won't be able to get any photos until tomorrow; bike is out at a friend's house.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
When you get a chance, grab some pictures of it. All that piece does is translate the pull from the cable into a push on the pushrod, so the worst that I could see is it not engaging because the cable got out of adjustment somehow.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I just got a call from my friend's dad (we were working at our bikes over at their parent's house. Their dad works on bikes and has all the stuff we need). He said that the clutch is now working.
He says that it looks like it was just sticking, but everything's good. I won't be able to pick it up until Thursday, but I'm just glad I won't have to spend money on a new clutch 'n such.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Awesome. Also it's worth noting that when the bike is cold, the clutch will usually stick a bit because it's a wet clutch and the oil on the plates will cause some friction. So you might have been concerned about nothing. Just check and make sure it's adjusted properly when you get a chance to ride it. You should have about a third of an inch of slack in the lever before it starts to pull on the cable. Too much slack and the bike will be hard to get into gear or neutral (because the clutch is never disengaging entirely) and too little slack and the clutch will always be engaged a little bit, causing excessive wear and reducing power/causing RPMs to rise without road speed increasing.

harm0nic
Feb 21, 2010

Hi guys.

This is my '02 SV650.

The handlebars, as you may have noticed, aren't stock. The previous owner wanted "a more sportbikey feel", so he tossed those on. I'd like to replace them with something closer to stock or maybe even a touch higher, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for, or where exactly to look.

Any suggestions?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Go to a local shop that sells dirtbike bars, and hold sets until you get something that feels natural and right. Then buy them (or purchase them online if you're really short on cash) and toss them on. I do not like the stock bends that usually end up on UJMs, as most of them are too narrow. The Gen 2 SV is especially guilty of this. Dirtbike bars are available in a wider and more flat bend with a decent amount of lift and I can usually find one that's in stock that feels good. I'm currently running a stock yamaha YZ450F fatbar on my DRZ and it'd be about perfect on an SV too.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Will 2-cycle mixed into premium gas do anything bad to my 2007 SV650? I have like 3 gallons with a partial diluted mix to burn off and I dont want to dump it in my car with cats. Concerned about fuel injectors and the o2 sensor really, dont mind a puff or two extra of smoke.

dietcokefiend fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 9, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

dietcokefiend posted:

Will 2-cycle mixed into premium gas do anything bad to my 2007 SV650? I have like 3 gallons with a partial diluted mix to burn off and I dont want to dump it in my car with cats. Concerned about fuel injectors and the o2 sensor really, dont mind a puff or two extra of smoke.

Why not use it in your lawn mower?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

frozenphil posted:

Why not use it in your lawn mower?

At the rate I mow my lawn it would take about two years. I have a gallon of maybe 40:1 mix, mixed in with 2 gallons or so of normal premium gas. I had some poo poo mixed up for a cheap harbor frieght 2 cycle generator that I am returning.

So figure 3 gallons of super light 2-cycle gas mix to burn.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

dietcokefiend posted:

At the rate I mow my lawn it would take about two years. I have a gallon of maybe 40:1 mix, mixed in with 2 gallons or so of normal premium gas. I had some poo poo mixed up for a cheap harbor frieght 2 cycle generator that I am returning.

So figure 3 gallons of super light 2-cycle gas mix to burn.

Might I suggest digging a hole, lining said hole with a trash bag, pouring gas into hole with trashbag lining leaving a trail of ~20 feet, and finally lighting the far end of the 20 foot trail.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

dietcokefiend posted:

3 gallons is worth about $8 right? I wouldn't wanna risk it in my bike just to use it.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

dietcokefiend posted:

You're right that it could foul the cat in your car, although it might be fine diluted with another 7 in the tank. The pre-mix will have no effect on the fuel injectors, or 02 sensor.

Dump it in, or better yet, go buy a dirtbike.

Can I recommend an alternative fuel for any other SV650s? I hear Suzuki's run well on NOS Energy drinks.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

GanjamonII posted:

3 gallons is worth about $8 right? I wouldn't wanna risk it in my bike just to use it.

Yea but I also dont want to dump it down the street or burn it over old car tires in the back yard.

Yea I already got some in the tank of the SV. Whats the worst that could happen?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

Yea but I also dont want to dump it down the street or burn it over old car tires in the back yard.

Yea I already got some in the tank of the SV. Whats the worst that could happen?

Fouled plugs, injectors, additional carbon build up.

Well lubricated valves.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Bike smells like its runnin kinda rich :q:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Post it on Craigslist. I'm sure there's someone out there somewhere that can make use of 3 gallons of premix.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Thoughts on this bike?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/mcy/1951393218.html

It's a 2005, still waiting to hear back from owner on mileage. I mainly want opinions on his "Many Extras"

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ynotony posted:

Thoughts on this bike?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/mcy/1951393218.html

It's a 2005, still waiting to hear back from owner on mileage. I mainly want opinions on his "Many Extras"

Seems quite a bit high, considering:
http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/mcy/1895890555.html

And I've got a friend who's trying to sell one now, and I'm pretty sure it's an 07, never been down, with about 8k on it, and he was asking for less than that. I could double check if you're in the area and are looking for an SV.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

Seems quite a bit high, considering:
http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/mcy/1895890555.html

And I've got a friend who's trying to sell one now, and I'm pretty sure it's an 07, never been down, with about 8k on it, and he was asking for less than that. I could double check if you're in the area and are looking for an SV.

What about these "extras"? I'm less concerned about getting a great price, and more concerned about getting a good bike. Although I would try to talk him down closer to $3k. PM me about your friend if he has something to sell, I am in the market and live in LA.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
"Fender less tail mod"

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ynotony posted:

What about these "extras"? I'm less concerned about getting a great price, and more concerned about getting a good bike. Although I would try to talk him down closer to $3k. PM me about your friend if he has something to sell, I am in the market and live in LA.

If reliability and getting a good bike is your first concern, I'd avoid mods. Not only do people tend to ask higher prices, there's no promise that any of the work was done right, I've definitely seen a lot of hackjobs on mods. The extras are basically all based around adding power, so that seems a little pointless to me on a streeted SV.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Z3n posted:

If reliability and getting a good bike is your first concern, I'd avoid mods. Not only do people tend to ask higher prices, there's no promise that any of the work was done right, I've definitely seen a lot of hackjobs on mods. The extras are basically all based around adding power, so that seems a little pointless to me on a streeted SV.

gently caress you man my mods are always perfect. I used the finest of wire splicing crimps and silicone caulk! :argh:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

gently caress you man my mods are always perfect. I used the finest of wire splicing crimps and silicone caulk! :argh:

So how quality were the mods on your ZX6? :v:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Z3n posted:

So how quality were the mods on your ZX6? :v:

Better than OEM. Well except for the time I drove a screw through the side of the gas tank and put JBweld over it.

Remember, my "mods" on that drat bike from hell were fixing the previous guys crap ;)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

Better than OEM. Well except for the time I drove a screw through the side of the gas tank and put JBweld over it.

Remember, my "mods" on that drat bike from hell were fixing the previous guys crap ;)

Nah I was referring to the mods that you had to fix.

These days, I just pretend every bike was modded by Shervin, and I'm rarely let down.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
My greatest mod ever, on an SV1000: Replacing the valve stem caps with lights. Few months later I'm having a tire change and the mechanic goes "What the gently caress are these things? You nearly had a catastrophic blowout from your valve stems being ripped off!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Jack the Smack posted:

My greatest mod ever, on an SV1000: Replacing the valve stem caps with lights. Few months later I'm having a tire change and the mechanic goes "What the gently caress are these things? You nearly had a catastrophic blowout from your valve stems being ripped off!"

Hahaha I had the same lights on my GSXR750 when I picked it up. Those fuckers were heavy, there's no way the wheels were balanced for poo poo. Also it had LED lights everywhere around the bike. :suicide:

• Locked thread