Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

torgeaux posted:

Reach versus width, the age old dilemma. The solution? 1D.

Either that or the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8. It's roughly equivalent to 17mm on full-frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I shoot with a 7D, I played with a 5DMkII for a few minutes a while back and it just felt right. Ever since I've been acutely aware of the crop factor :(

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Twenties Superstar posted:

[...] but there are other sketchy rear end dudes out there that get just as much if not even more acclaim than him.

How is Araki sketchy? Dude is absolutely awesome and seems to be super nice.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

ZoCrowes posted:

On a D3s with a 50mm f/1.8 the depth of field range is between 5.77ft and 6.25ft (0.47 feet total) if the subject is 6 feet away from the shooter. On a D90 with the same lens and distance the focal range is between 5.85 ft and 6.16 ft (0.32 feet.) That's not really that big of a difference in DOF. I'm not trying to be a dick or anything I'm just pointing out the fact that it's pretty hard to tell just from an image what kind of camera they were shot with especially after post processing. It's like people who claim they can tell if an image came from a Nikon or Canon. It's gear fetishization.

Yeah, but doesn't the size of the sensor influence perception? Physical amount of depth might be very close, but the perceived amount of depth is smaller on a full frame (at widest apertures) because of the larger image size. It's the same reason shooting in medium or large format gives you less perceived depth than 35mm, even if you're shooting its equivalent. Example: 50mm f/1.4 on a 35mm camera vs. 100mm f/2.8 on a medium format. They are the equivalent to one another, but the larger format will show to have less depth of field at widest aperture because of the larger image size.

That's at least how I understand it, someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

ZoCrowes posted:

Even then you can get a pretty drat shallow DOF with a fast lens. There are also plenty of wide angle zooms too.

Which brings me to the point that I want a fast wide angle for crop sensors dammit. Something like a 20mm f/2 would be perfect.

Edit: On a D3s with a 50mm f/1.8 the depth of field range is between 5.77ft and 6.25ft (0.47 feet total) if the subject is 6 feet away from the shooter. On a D90 with the same lens and distance the focal range is between 5.85 ft and 6.16 ft (0.32 feet.) That's not really that big of a difference in DOF. I'm not trying to be a dick or anything I'm just pointing out the fact that it's pretty hard to tell just from an image what kind of camera they were shot with especially after post processing. It's like people who claim they can tell if an image came from a Nikon or Canon. It's gear fetishization.
Oh hey I think we had this talk about 50 pages ago.

In short, using the same lens eg. 50mm. You will need to back up to achieve the same framing/field-of-view with a cropped/APS-C sized sensor, thus increasing the dof.

edit: IIRC someone calculated this before, an aps-c sized camera need to open up the aperture by 1 1/3 stop to achieve the same dof with the same framing using identical lens. So you need something like f/1.2 on the D90 to get the same dof as f/2 on the d3s

Try getting shots like this from a (video)camera with a smaller sensor.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DaNzA fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 9, 2010

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

I HATE CARS posted:

How is Araki sketchy? Dude is absolutely awesome and seems to be super nice.

I'm saying he's about as sketchy as Terry Richardson

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
girl who is acting on my behalf for printing purposes has called me up asking for a photo that could print to 1.5m in length (whatever height) at minimum 1470 dpi.

I said "sure" and hung up and then sat there.

And sat there. And if I was a TV show there would be numbers floating gently around my head, sliding past my face like a loving galactic cruiser past a pedestrian shuttle, big goddamn numbers. hrroooomm

hrroooooommmm

I've worked it out.

86811x43406

And I have to save it as PDF.

And it's on material, not paper, like apparently cloth material. I don't get it, what the gently caress sort of material is this. It would have to have some sort of ridiculous stitching, right?

So my computer is at full ball right now trying to fit together a panorama at this size. Holy crap.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Helmacron posted:

girl who is acting on my behalf for printing purposes has called me up asking for a photo that could print to 1.5m in length (whatever height) at minimum 1470 dpi.

86811x43406

On the plus side, you can enjoy a little laugh when you hear that your file crashes their computer.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Helmacron posted:

1470 dpi.

86811x43406

Good luck with that.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

DaNzA posted:

Oh hey I think we had this talk about 50 pages ago.

In short, using the same lens eg. 50mm. You will need to back up to achieve the same framing/field-of-view with a cropped/APS-C sized sensor, thus increasing the dof.

edit: IIRC someone calculated this before, an aps-c sized camera need to open up the aperture by 1 1/3 stop to achieve the same dof with the same framing using identical lens. So you need something like f/1.2 on the D90 to get the same dof as f/2 on the d3s

Try getting shots like this from a (video)camera with a smaller sensor.

I never said that Full Frame and APS-C do not have different characteristics when it comes to shooting. Obviously increasing distance from the subject is going to increase the depth of field. My contention was that one could tell a difference between a Full Frame and APS-C from a photo posted on the interwebs. Using that shot from House as a starting point one can compare it to a shot that I took that has a pretty drat shallow DOF.

Is it as shallow as that particular House shot? Nope, but I would bet that in a blind test one would be hard pressed to tell if a photo was APS-C or Full Frame. There are definitely benefits to both sensor types and I will definitely be picking up a full frame camera sometime in the not too distant future.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Mannequin posted:

Yeah, but doesn't the size of the sensor influence perception? Physical amount of depth might be very close, but the perceived amount of depth is smaller on a full frame (at widest apertures) because of the larger image size.
Nope. Forget about calculating equivalency. For any given angle of view on a 36mm, there is some focal length that will let you achieve the same angle of view on a 22mm. By that same token, for any given depth of field on a 36mm, there is some aperture that will let you achieve the same depth of field on a 22mm. Larger formats will tend to have a shallower depth of field, but an extreme depth of field is not a good indicator of format. Given the right combination of lenses and settings you could create identical photos on two separate format sizes.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Helmacron posted:

minimum 1470 dpi.

This can't be right? What would need this kind of detail?

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

Dread Head posted:

This can't be right? What would need this kind of detail?

I'm just going to do it. What the hell. But yeah I'm sure there's been something missed in either translation or the printer is a fool.

I need to put 8gb of ram in this macbook.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
That's some nice blur. And I guess you are right about how you can't really 'tell' the difference easily between ff/apsc if the camera was in capable hands. I think it has more to do with people who can afford FF are generally more serious.

Helmacron posted:

I'm just going to do it. What the hell. But yeah I'm sure there's been something missed in either translation or the printer is a fool.

I need to put 8gb of ram in this macbook.

8GB isn't going to do poo poo when you are processing 3768 MP, or 3.768 gigapickles.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

DaNzA posted:

8GB isn't going to do poo poo when you are processing 3768 MP, or 3.768 gigapickles.

Why wouldn't it.

Also I've decided just to process a panorama I have for it at 20000x10000. I refuse to believe he needs it better than whatever dpi that is. Also that alone is going to take forever to compute.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Helmacron posted:

Why wouldn't it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Helmacron posted:

Why wouldn't it
It kinda depends on the algo, but anything will slow down significantly if you can fit your workset in memory.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Helmacron posted:

Why wouldn't it.

Also I've decided just to process a panorama I have for it at 20000x10000. I refuse to believe he needs it better than whatever dpi that is. Also that alone is going to take forever to compute.

It might be a good idea to actually talk to the printer about this. What if it is supposed to be 147 dpi??

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

Panoramas, sort of surprisingly, really just need a lot of storing space as they're processing. I don't really know much about it, I admit, but from my experience, a good computer is great but a big harddrive and patience really do wonders for large panoramas. I was just meaning 8gb of ram (assuming the photo isn't over 8gb, as pointed out), could only ever help.

You're saying going to 8gb can hinder in some ways, evil_bunnY?

And whitezombi, we're just testing stuff right now. I said "durable cloth of some sort could make my photos a little more renegade" and she reported back this is what he said. I'll hedge my bets and give him a couple different files.

The largest these photos I have can go are 30000x15000. my other panoramas can get much bigger but I don't want to exhibit those right now. I just want to get into a bachelor of photography with them.

147dpi would be totally lame and I would say a big ol' gently caress you to cloth.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Helmacron posted:

Panoramas, sort of surprisingly, really just need a lot of storing space as they're processing. I don't really know much about it, I admit, but from my experience, a good computer is great but a big harddrive and patience really do wonders for large panoramas. I was just meaning 8gb of ram (assuming the photo isn't over 8gb, as pointed out), could only ever help.

No, he is (rightly) pointing out that if you really try and process an image that big, 8Gb is not going to make a difference:

As an analogy: you need to buy a new $2,000 MacBook Pro, but you only have $50 in your pocket. You get lucky and find $100 down the back of your sofa. No it won't hinder your purchase, but it isn't really going to help much either. $50 or $150 -you aren't going to be walking home with a new toy today.

quote:

And whitezombi, we're just testing stuff right now. I said "durable cloth of some sort could make my photos a little more renegade" and she reported back this is what he said. I'll hedge my bets and give him a couple different files.

The largest these photos I have can go are 30000x15000. my other panoramas can get much bigger but I don't want to exhibit those right now. I just want to get into a bachelor of photography with them.

147dpi would be totally lame and I would say a big ol' gently caress you to cloth.

147lpi is entirely possible as a resolution for a printed image on cloth. That's about 300dpi and will give good quality.

You are utterly wasting your time with images this big. There is no way that they are 1,000 dpi.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Helmacron posted:

No I'm saying if your total dataset is bigger than whatever amount of ram is available poo poo's going to slow down. What spog said. If your program's smart it'll use part of the available working memory to cache input and output data (so it doesn't have to wait on those), but not every app does that, and not every load can be streamlined that way.
It's not like you can do anything about the code, so just be happy about your 8GB and have a ciggie while it builds your output.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 9, 2010

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

spog posted:

147lpi is entirely possible as a resolution for a printed image on cloth. That's about 300dpi and will give good quality.

You are utterly wasting your time with images this big. There is no way that they are 1,000 dpi.

147lpi is what I meant. I'm still half asleep.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
What's the difference between lines per inch and dots per inch? If you're talking about digital isn't a line just a line of pixels anyway?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Lines per inch is what people tend to refer to for screen ruling on a press. This is because AM (traditional) screening comes in rulings, and those rulings have a certain number of lines of dots per inch.

For instance, if you took a 1x1 inch tint of 1% dots and looked at it using a loupe, the frequency of the dots would be such that you would have 200 lines of dots approximating that 1% tint.

Many modern sheetfed offset printers work at 175 or 200 LPI.

This is considerably different from DPI, which is raw raster pixels (dots) per inch. Even though these may be plotted at 200 LPI, the text, linework, and images will be rasterized at, say, 2400 DPI.

The old rule of thumb is image DPI at twice the LPI ruling. So for a 175 LPI screen you'd want a 350 DPI image. This starts falling apart for 175-200 LPI screens, where you can certainly print a 300 DPI image and nobody would really notice (except me).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've had Photoshop give me an out of memory error when I accidentally scanned a 6x4.5 photo at like 3200dpi when I had 8gb of RAM so .. :(

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Upgrade from Windows 98, scrub.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

DPI = Dots per inch = units used to measure the resolution of a printer

LPI = Lines per inch = The offset printing 'lines' or dots per inch in a halftone or line screen.

PPI = Pixels per inch = the number of pixels per inch in screen/scanner file terms.

kefkafloyd posted:

The old rule of thumb is image DPI at twice the LPI ruling. So for a 175 LPI screen you'd want a 350 DPI image. This starts falling apart for 175-200 LPI screens, where you can certainly print a 300 DPI image and nobody would really notice (except me).

And me. :argh:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Whitezombi posted:

DPI = Dots per inch = units used to measure the resolution of a printer

LPI = Lines per inch = The offset printing 'lines' or dots per inch in a halftone or line screen.

PPI = Pixels per inch = the number of pixels per inch in screen/scanner file terms.

See, this kind of breaks down when even Scanning software can't get it right :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Martytoof posted:

See, this kind of breaks down when even Scanning software can't get it right :(

Yeah. I don't remember hearing one single person use PPI in the last 10 years.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
For all intents and purposes, PPI/DPI are the same thing in raster image programs.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

I just have to say I don't believe I'm wasting my time compiling the largest possible image I can get from a set of photos because even if they will not work right now, they will certainly work some time in the future and I will have them for perpetuity.

Also I have no job.

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

Helmacron posted:

I just have to say I don't believe I'm wasting my time compiling the largest possible image I can get from a set of photos because even if they will not work right now, they will certainly work some time in the future and I will have them for perpetuity.

Also I have no job.

You are wasting your time, where do you think those extra dpi are coming from?

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
HDR Video a reality?

http://www.sovietmontage.com/2010/09/09/hdr-video-a-reality/

The dude looks weird, but the city shot actually looks cool.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Just looks like more gimmickry to me.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Oh god, I can't wait until we get 3D HDR :hurr: Imagine all the movie trailers, "now.. in 3D HDR!"

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Blech, now I can't unsee it.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
How did they get the frames to line up with two different cameras? Is it just too small of a difference to notice?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The city looked like a 3D rendering with poor lighting effects, which I guess would make sense since it's not normal lighting. The guy just looked loving terrible.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Martytoof posted:

The city looked like a 3D rendering with poor lighting effects, which I guess would make sense since it's not normal lighting. The guy just looked loving terrible.

I thought it looked like lovely rendering as well. Man, when will this HDR poo poo just die out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Affair
Jun 26, 2005

I hate snakes, Jock. I hate 'em!

Ugth, that looked awful.

I wish I could do more still HDR, too, but I lack the experience and a good DSLR for it, but man I'd never want my video rig to shoot anything close to that.