Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The Crying Game is still a good movie even when you know the 'twist' that actually happens about half-way through the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Bodnoirbabe posted:

9. City of Lost Children. My husband is partially deaf and I hear this is about deaf people and culture. Suppose I should give it a whirl.

BodNoirBabe, I think you're actually thinking of Children of a Lesser God. City of Lost Children, however, is fantastic as well, though it's kind of a trippy steampunk (in a good way) fairy tale. Pick one of those two and watch it.

The Gypsy Moths was a weird slice of 70's melodrama. Gene Hackman is a slick promoter and ringleader of a group of traveling skydivers, Burt Lancaster is the old pro who keeps taking greater risks, and then there's a wormy guy who's the junior member that spends a great deal of time whining. Everything I like about 70's melodramas-- the silly fonts for the credits, the isolation and shattered dreams of small towns, the weird flirtation of reality and plot structure, and a power struggle between complacency and a new way of life-- is present. The problems I have with the movie, though, come from the mechanical screenplay and the joyless performances that emphasize the wrong moments. Especially deadly is the constant skydiving footage-- there's about a half an hour stretch of it in the middle-- that hasn't aged terribly well. The actors give decent performances, and Frankenheimer has a few artsy touches, but it's still mostly a snoozer.

Sheldrake posted:

1. Empire of Passion - I also bought this at a previous Criterion sale. I love the cover, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I also really liked In The Realm of the Senses, strangely enough.

2. Odd Man Out - I love Carol Reed and James Mason, but the plot description does nothing for me.

3. Abel Gance's Napoleon - I love silent movies and Eg Eggleby and FFD talk this up all the time, but the four hour investment just seems like a lot.

4. Gospel According to St. Matthew - I didn't really care for Salo, and then I really don't care too much about the Bible.

5. Up! - No, not the Pixar movie. The Russ Meyer flick. Beyond the Valley of the Dolls is one of my favorite movies, but Faster Pussycat, Kill! Kill! never did much for me.

6. Applause - I have my 'to watch' list, and this is the oldest title on there. I love Rouben Mamoulian, and I should finally be getting a copy soon.

7. Fat City - I've heard some mixed reviews, and I'm far from the world's biggest John Huston fan, but the story sounds pretty interesting.

8. Blood Orgy of the She Devils - It, uh, sounds interesting.

9. The Last Laugh - It's on a lot of great movies lists, and I like Murnau from what I've seen. I don't have a copy, but I can track one down if need be.

10. Voyage of the Rock Aliens - Yes, I will give you another chance to make me watch a (possibly) terrible Pia Zadora film. I'm just that nice.

Finally Seen: Hiroshima Mon Amour - 8/10, Clockers - 7/10, A Matter of Life & Death - 9/10, Mo' Better Blues - 8/10, Small Back Room - 5/10, 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days - 8/10, Butterfly - 3/10, Pitfall - 9/10, Woman in the Dunes - 8/10, Face of Another - 7/10, Cornered - 8/10, The Gypsy Moths 6/10

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

And if you want to see a really good movie about deaf culture, check out Sound and Fury.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

:sigh: So, I have had What Time is it There sitting at home for about a week, but just wasn't in the mood to watch it (or any movie, really). Go to put it in this weekend, and the disc has a huge crack in it. Now time to wait for a replacement disc to arrive.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Sheldrake posted:

BodNoirBabe, I think you're actually thinking of Children of a Lesser God. City of Lost Children, however, is fantastic as well, though it's kind of a trippy steampunk (in a good way) fairy tale. Pick one of those two and watch it.

You're completely right! Thanks! For my mistake, I will "punish" myself and watch both.

FitFortDanga posted:

And if you want to see a really good movie about deaf culture, check out Sound and Fury.

We've seen it and it really pissed off both myself and my husband.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Bodnoirbabe posted:

We've seen it and it really pissed off both myself and my husband.

It pissed me off too, I'm glad I'm not the only one! It is thought-provoking and fascinating, though. It didn't piss me off as a movie, the people in it pissed me off.

deetron69
Jan 18, 2005

Noxville posted:

The Crying Game is still a good movie even when you know the 'twist' that actually happens about half-way through the movie.

At school one of my favorite gags was to tell people that The Smiths had written an unused theme song to The Crying Game called "Girlfriend With A Penis" to the tune of "Girlfriend in a Coma".

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
Just finished watching The Magnificent Seven. I enjoyed it a lot more than Seven Samurai although I'm not entirely sure why. It didn't feel as much of an epic and it was in English which makes it easier to appreciate the acting. Obviously the story is incredibly similar, almost scene for scene in places and that was fun to compare.

Sheldrake you get Empire of Passion as it's about the only movie on your list you don't diss. I've not seen any of them though.

Updated List:

Casablanca
Cool Hand Luke
It's a Wonderful Life - Need to get some James Stewart down me.

2001: A Space Odyssey
North by Northwest
Heat - Pretty amazed I haven't seen this.

Amadeus
Rear Window
Psycho - Might as well replace Rear Window with another Hitchcock film, seeing as I enjoyed it so much. Hope the parodies don't ruin this one, although I think I've already seen the infamous shower scene.

Seven Samurai
The Magnificent Seven
The Great Escape - I'm sure I've seen it but have very little recollection. It's got Coburn, Bronson and McQueen in as had Magnificent Seven so hopefully it's a winning combo.

Once Upon A Time In America
Zatoichi - Can't remember when or who recommended this to me but it's been sat in my DVD collection for about 4 years and I haven't watched it.

Bande á part - I bought this on DVD knowing it shared the name with Tarantino's production company. Never got round to watching it, though.

Jackie Brown
Citizen Kane
The Wild Bunch
The Dirty Dozen - Quite enjoyed wild bunch so thought I'd replace it with a similar 'flawed heroes' film. Kelly's Heroes next, probably.

Children of Men
The Deer Hunter
Sunset Boulevard
Hard Boiled - Never seen this and I've no idea why. It looks like the sort of movie I'd like and I've heard great things about John Woo.

Badlands
The Graduate - I really don't know much about this film and I've not seen any of Hoffman's work before Rainman, really. Never had the opportunity to watch this.

Downfall
Serpico - Big fan of Pacino but never sat down and watched this.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

mikewozere you get Zatoichi. Unwatched movies in collections drive me nuts. I'm hoping you are referring to the Takeshi Kitano version, but even if you aren't I hope you enjoy.

I watched the extended version of Fanny and Alexander, and I really feel that I'm starting to change my opinion on Bergman, Fanny and Alexander was really quite good. There did seem to be a bit too much going on that I didn't feel was really important to the story, but I guess that's my fault for watching the longer cut. All and all a great watch over the weekend.

quote:

My updated list:

1. Stagecoach:
Want to watch John Ford's most well known movie

2. Any Fellini movie:
I started watching 8 1/2 once, but then got distracted and didn't get back to it. I haven't seen anything else he's made.

3. Anything Bergman NOT "Scenes from a Marriage", "Fanny and Alexander", "Seventh Seal" or "Wild Strawberries

4. Schindler's List:
Another movie I've meant to see, but just never have.

5. Any Chaplin movies:
I'm game for any, but just never saw any

6. To Kill a Mockingbird:
Honestly I don't know much about it other then that it's a movie that exists and is supposed to be good

7. The Elephant Man:
It's Karl Pilkington, which is enough reason for me to check it out sometime

8. Silence of the Lambs:
Just never got around to watching the full thing.

Already watched: Jaws, Scenes From a Marriage, The Searchers, Fanny and Alexander

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Zandert33, I'm really tempted to give you Persona, but let's play it safe and go with Sawdust and Tinsel.

I'm not sure what to make of The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover. It was a good film with a distinct visual style I rather enjoyed and it had its moments, but for the most part it left me rather cold. The characters were underdeveloped and the situations intentionally grotesque and abstracted, but unlike say, The Devils, the last film of this sort I've watched, it lacked a point of reference to engage me. I feel like I should either hate it or love it but mostly I'm just left wondering what people see in it.

Updated list:

Beau Travail I've never seen anything from Claire Denis, this sounds like a good place to start.

Europa '51 Another highly regarded Italian director I'm kind of meh on, but it does have Ingrid Bergman.

The Testament of Dr. Mabuse Let's what trouble he gets into with sound.

Sanxia haoren Apparently this is one of the best films of the last 10 years.

Pelle the Conqueror It's Swedish and won an Oscar, I think it's a sad film.

Fear and Desire I have a fear that this will be as terrible as I've heard, but also a desire to complete Kubrick's features.

Pursued Another Western I should see.

Burma VJ The Cove beat this out for best doc, but I think it might have more potential to impress me.

Babette's Feast Not sure what this is about, but I've heard it referenced enough to feel the need to check it out.

Stroszek Been a while since I've seen some Herzog, I think this is the most well regarded of the ones I haven't seen.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

It pissed me off too, I'm glad I'm not the only one! It is thought-provoking and fascinating, though. It didn't piss me off as a movie, the people in it pissed me off.

Yeah it was the father that really got to us. He was just so selfish in his decision making. I understand deaf culture and the need to feel like you belong, but keeping a child handicapped out of pride is just so...selfish!

My husband is only partially deaf and he'd love to get the cochlear implants, but he's not deaf enoough. He know's what it's like to be stuck between two worlds and it's torture for him at times. To us, it doesn't make sense that someone would willfully keep their child disabled despite her wishes.

Anyhow, end of rant...YAY MOVIES!

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I'm not sure what to make of The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover. It was a good film with a distinct visual style I rather enjoyed and it had its moments, but for the most part it left me rather cold. The characters were underdeveloped and the situations intentionally grotesque and abstracted, but unlike say, The Devils, the last film of this sort I've watched, it lacked a point of reference to engage me. I feel like I should either hate it or love it but mostly I'm just left wondering what people see in it.

It helps a lot to look at it as opera. The characters are essentially one note - the title already reduces them to caricatures. Ultimately, it's a movie carried by its over-the-top nature and hyper-stylization. Every actor is shooting for the moon, and basically nails it; Gambon is spectacular and terrifying to me, and I think Roth is awesome in his small role. I dunno. Here's what I wrote about it when I saw it over the summer:

quote:

Up until now, my only exposure to Peter Greenaway was Prospero's Books, a film I found to be tedious and incredibly pretentious (I hate the word, but sometimes it's all that applies). So I put off watching The Cook... for a long time...and now I'm kicking myself for the wait. My friend Ryan described the film as pure opera, and it's an appropriate description in many ways. Of course, it applies to the story, which spins its four titular characters into a story of jealousy (the thief), lust (his wife), honor (her lover), and barely contained distaste and hatred (the cook), to say nothing of bloody, bloody revenge. But it also applies to the lush, jaw-dropping visuals, which encompass a dark and intimidating street, a massive kitchen that feels like a castle dungeon, an incredible blood-tinted dining room, and a blindingly white restroom, all while Greenaway alter the character's clothes to match the colors of each room they enter. And. to be sure, it applies equally well to the performances, all of which shoot for the rafters and succeed, but none so much as Michael Gambon as the thief, a vile, brutish boor whose constant speech and abuse make him into a terrifying force of nature to be reckoned with. There are any number of takes on the movie - from political allegory to social commentary - but even without it, the film works as pure Grand Guignol opera, and it's completely riveting from the first frame to the end. The characters are compelling, the visuals astonishing, the story riveting, the violence and cruelty revolting (seriously - this is not for the faint of heart), and the impact incredible. One of the best films I've seen in years, and one that makes me feel like I need to start trying every other Greenaway to see what I've missed.

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?
Peaceful Anarchy, you get Burma VJ.

I went in to Andrei Rublev expecting one movie, and got something completely different and way better than I could have imagined. It was exquisite. I'm really glad I waited until I had three and a half hours to spare so I could watch it all in one sitting.

New List:

The Conformist Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

Sunrise Same as The Conformist

La Dolce Vita or La Strada Saw 8 1/2, liked it well enough, but haven't gone any further into Fellini's films.

The Gold Rush Continuing my Chaplin journey.

Ordet Excited to watch this after having recently seen The Passion of Joan of Arc.

L'Avventura I've never seen any Antonioni, but I'm finding I really like Italian film from this period.

Ugetsu I've heard about this movie from a few different people, just haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

Jules et Jim I've seen this movie referenced in several movies, but haven't gotten to watching it yet.

The Wild Bunch I may have actually watched this years ago when I was younger, but I can't remember a thing about it.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal, The Rules of the Game, Andrei Rublev

tokillthesunflower fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 8, 2010

toro913
Aug 7, 2007
tokillthesunflower you get The Conformist

Watched The Leopard, there is so much to admire here, just purely on a technical level. Beatiful widescreen photography, sets and costumes that must have been expensive for an Italian production. Prince Salina is a very memorable and admirable character, Burt Lancaster plays him well (dubbing aside) and Alain Delon is his usual handsome self, though scummy as a character. It is a bit overlong, especially the ball and I found myself always at an arms length from the movie (I have this problem with most costume/historical dramas).

Caught up with the The Sound of Music, a few memorable songs, but so sickly sweet that it is off putting. There is no need to repeat every single goddamn song.

Battle of Algiers
Anything by Guy Maddin, as a Canadian I should be ashamed

Any Satyajit Ray: just haven't taken the plunge

Metropolis
Battleship Potemkin: Haven't seen any early Russian films.

Evil Dead 2
Eyes Without a Face: I need more classic French thrillers in my life.

Once Upon a Time in America
Last Year at Marienbad
The Leopard
Crash (the Cronenberg one): I'm always a bit luke warm on Cronenberg, this one seems most like Dead Ringers (my favorite of his) in tone.

Written on the Wind
The Sound of Music
Ishtar: I have no idea what it's about, but am curious.

1933 King Kong: I pretty much know the story already.

The Last Picture Show
Any Ozu or Mizoguchi other than Tokyo Story or Ugetsu.

From Russia With Love
West Side Story: It just seems so cliched and tacky.

Easy Rider
Bullitt: other than Steve McQueen and cars, no clue what it's about

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

toro913 watch a Satyajit Ray film. I'm not sure what you have access to, but my favourite is Charulata so I'll go with that.

Burma VJ was good but I was expecting something more powerful. Because of the difficulty of filming and the focus being on the 2007 uprisings it lacks much context and has very few memorable images. The feeling I was left with was more one of confusion and struggle than something really illuminating. Despite its technical failings I still found it pretty interesting and it did shed some light on how these sorts of images get out to the world.

Updated list:

Beau Travail I've never seen anything from Claire Denis, this sounds like a good place to start.

Europa '51 Another highly regarded Italian director I'm kind of meh on, but it does have Ingrid Bergman.

The Testament of Dr. Mabuse Let's what trouble he gets into with sound.

Fear and Desire I have a fear that this will be as terrible as I've heard, but also a desire to complete Kubrick's features.

Babette's Feast Not sure what this is about, but I've heard it referenced enough to feel the need to check it out.

Stroszek Been a while since I've seen some Herzog, I think this is the most well regarded of the ones I haven't seen.

Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters The Criterion cover looks really cool.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
If you still have the DVD of Burma VJ, make sure to watch the short extra with Richard Gere.

and ps: at the current pace I am getting through I, Claudius, I will be next posting in this thread in 2018.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

30 pages in, I'll give this a try (hopefully without bombing)...

Peaceful Anarchy, watch The Testament of Dr. Mabuse. It's a surprisingly modern suspense film, plus it brings back Inspector Lohmann from M as a main character. The cinematography is incredible, plus some cool sound design.

LIST O'SHAME:

Amélie - The stills look enticing.

Tokyo Story - I haven't seen any Ozu films yet.

Persona - I've only seen two Bergmans: The Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries, which I both enjoyed immensely.

The Exterminating Angel - I've only seen Bunuel's first and last films, plus Virdiana which I wasn't crazy about.

Fitzcarraldo - Only Herzog I've seen: Aguirre (A+) and The Bad Lieutenant (meta A).

Dog Star Man - Not sure if I can sit through a feature-length film with absolutely no sound (not even a score), but I'd like to try.

Under Capricorn - The only post-1940 Hitchcock film I've not seen besides The Paradine Case.

Russian Ark - I want to see a movie shot entirely in one take.

Paris, Texas - Haven't seen any Wenders films and this looks cool.

La Dolce Vita - I forgot I had a DVD of this from a store closeout. :downs:

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Egbert Souse posted:

Amélie - The stills look enticing.
Unfortunately I have seen none of your listed movies, so lets go with the top option!

The Green Mile was a great story, but it really feels like a watch it one time and never watch it again movie. I really wasn't emotionally into it, but it was still interesting and somewhat engaging. Maybe I just watched it in the wrong mood.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca
Aliens
The Great Escape - I guess I'll use this to throw movies in more of an action type mold together. Although this movie may be loosely using the term, still don't know why I've never seen it.

2. Citizen Kane
To Kill a Mockingbird - I've seen a few bits but never the entire thing.

3. Rear Window
Vertigo - Keeping with Hitchcock/Stewart theme.

4. A Clockwork Orange
Dr. Strangelove
Blue Velvet - I've never seen a Lynch movie, and I'm changing this upon request that it would be a better movie for a first time Lyncher.

5. Goodfellas
Raging Bull
Seven Samurai - Top movie I haven't seen on the top 250.

6. Godfather Part I
Godfather Part II
On the Waterfront - I guess I've thrown a Brando one out there already, might as well do another.

7. Wall-E
Ratatouille - To continue the Pixar spree.

8. Chinatown
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Shawshank Redemption
Schindler's List
The Green Mile
Braveheart - I'm just going to throw 90s movies in this slot.

9. 12 Angry Men
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Can't get enough James Stewart on one list.

10. Gone With the Wind
Do the Right Thing
Back to the Future
Saving Private Ryan
Apocalypse Now - Keeping with a war theme.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
marioinblack, there's so many on your list I want to choose (we have a lot in common too!) but I'm going to choose Braveheart for you. It's one of those movies that gets worse every time I see it, but I'll never forget how loving awesome it was the first time I saw it. It's straight up entertaining.

I watched Chinatown. I loved Nicholson's performance and so many other things. The cinematography, the score, Faye Dunaway, the general mood and noir feel of the film are all great things. I would love to take some time to study this in a film class. I loved it. Polanski's cameo as the "midget" with the knife was hilarious and awesome. Great suggestion!

I really like how I've got my list pretty much separated by directors whose filmographies I want to completely watch.

~New List~

1. Shane
A classic western I haven't gotten around to, even though I love westerns.
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Casablanca
Se7en

2. Blue Velvet
I have never seen a David Lynch film that isn't Dune, but I'll probably love this at least.

3. Rosemary's Baby
I've never seen this, but heard great things. I love horror and Polanski, so why not.
Chinatown

4. Heaven's Gate
After The Deer Hunter, I'm tempted to go through Cimino's filmography. I was going to put Thunderbolt and Lightfoot here, but Netflix doesn't have it! So I'll skip that and go right for one of the biggest failures in cinema...
The Deer Hunter
Amelie
The 400 Blows

5. Once Upon a Time in the West
This will be my Sergio Leone slot, as I adore the Leone I've seen and want to watch them all.

6. The Killing
One of the last few Kubrick films I haven't seen yet.
Spartacus

7. Rear Window
I'm limited on my Hitchcock viewing and this is his most highest rated movie on IMDB, so I'll start here.

8. Vacancy
After watching Kontroll on a whim I discovered I love Nimrod Antal. I also like Luke Wilson so I should've seen this by now.
It's a Wonderful Life

9. Lawrence of Arabia
I've never had the urge to watch it because I already know it's good. That's the worst excuse ever.
Sunset Blvd.
American History X

10. Seven Samurai
Kurosawa slot. Love what I've seen and want more.

You're a very nosy fellow, kitty cat. Huh? You know what happens to nosy fellows? Huh? No? Wanna guess? Huh? No? Okay. They lose their noses.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
The Machine, the only movie I've seen on your list is Rear Window, but I'm going to make you see Blue Velvet and tell me about it.

As for The Player, I liked it well enough; some parts left me cold, but all of the writers and pitches and the general Hollywood feel was just done so well, and the scene in the police station is just hilarious. Stupid question though: does Altman do the conversations on top of each other thing in all of his films?

Anyway, my list:

1. Chinatown Eraserhead - All I know is that it's David Lynch's first feature and it has a guy with freaky hair and a really disturbing baby.

2. Solaris - The plot sounds really interesting, but I'm wary about the length.

3. Bullitt Dog Day Afternoon - I almost put Serpico here, but after hearing about the plot, I feel like I really need to see this.

4. Sunset Boulevard - Another classic I haven't seen. (I replaced Imitation of Life because I realized that I don't like Sirk as much as I thought I did.)

5. A Fistful of Dollars - I caught For a Few Dollars More on Turner Classic last week and loved it, so I really want to see the first one.

6. Badlands - I have never seen a Terrence Malick film.

7. North by Northwest Psycho - I've seen probably the first 20 minutes or so, and besides, I've got to (hopefully) redeem myself for North by Northwest.

8. The Player Perfect Blue - I've never seen a Satoshi Kon film, and it seems right to see it now.

9. Infernal Affairs - I was interested in The Departed when it came out but never ended up seeing it, and I also feel like I need to see more Chinese film, or at least one that hasn't left me in tears at the end (Crouching Tiger did because it was beautiful, Farewell My Concubine did because it crushes your soul within the first 30 minutes and then keeps going).

10. Let the Right One In Apocalypse Now - It's a classic, so of course I should see it, but I really got interested after I read that Coppola said that Aguirre, Wrath of God inspired him while making this.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

Stupid question though: does Altman do the conversations on top of each other thing in all of his films?

Not every single one, no.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

3. Bullitt Dog Day Afternoon - I almost put Serpico here, but after hearing about the plot, I feel like I really need to see this.

You're right, you really do need to see this. Fantastic story and Al Pacino on top form - not your typical bank heist movie. Could the next person to reply miss suggesting a movie for me if they haven't seen it please? Let someone who can really recommend something do mine.

All my films are from pre-60's cinema right now.

1. Intolerence (1916, D.W. Griffith)
I've recently become really interested in early-cinema and although I don't have the patience to deal with Birth of a Nation I realise that D.W. Griffith was pretty important to the development of cinema and would like to see at least one of his films, Intolerance seems to have a message which is the polar opposite of Birth of a Nation so it seems to be a natural choice.

2. Metropolis (1927, Fritz Lang)
I've seen Lang's M and loved it, I'm also very aware of the imagery and importance of this film but the beginning trail of "portions are lost" and the reviews which say it doesn't make much sense without them put me off watching it, the restored version has recently been made available so it seems like the perfect time to see it.

3. The 39 Steps (1935, Alfred Hitchcock)
I've adored every Hitchcock film I've seen and The 39 Steps is probably the next most famous one I've yet to experience.

4. Gone With the Wind (1939, Victor Fleming)
Until very recently I had this and Casablanca lumped into the same "old romantic film I don't really need to see" box in my head - after watching the greatness that is Casablanca I fear that this may not actually be worth my time. It's like the Danny DeVito to the Arnold Schwarzenegger in Twins... or is it?

5. The Grapes of Wrath (1940, John Ford)
I don't know much about this film or John Ford, I'd like to change that.

6. Citizen Kane (1941, Orson Welles)
My most SHAMEFUL, SHAME.

7. Rashômon (1950, Akira Kurosawa)
I know I need to see this, I've been tempted to stick it into the DVD drive so many times but ended up lumping with Ghostbusters, Evil Dead II or something else I've already seen a million times - SHAME!

8. A Streetcar Named Desire (1951, Elia Kazan)
Kazan and Brando - it's got to be great. I really enjoyed an amateur production of Tennessee Williams' play Suddenly Last Summer earlier this year & if this film captures the same sort of wry, brilliant Southern patter than I'll really love it.

9. The Killing (1956, Stanley Kubrick)
I started watching this and the voice-over killed me, I thought it was horrible and had to turn over. I've read a lot of great reviews though and it comes highly recommended so I want to give it a shot.

10. Ben-Hur (1959, William Wyler)
I just feel that Ben-Hur is one of those big-budget classic movies that anyone and everyone should have seen.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

BisonDollah posted:

You're right, you really do need to see this. Fantastic story and Al Pacino on top form - not your typical bank heist movie. Could the next person to reply miss suggesting a movie for me if they haven't seen it please? Let someone who can really recommend something do mine.

While some of those films might have over-inflated reputations, especially Ben Hur in my book, I don't think any of them are something you can really go wrong with. I'd recommend Rashômon myself.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

BisonDollah posted:

Could the next person to reply miss suggesting a movie for me if they haven't seen it please? Let someone who can really recommend something do mine.

Why does it matter? I assume you want to see all the movies on your list, so if the person tells you to watch it, you still get to watch it, even if they haven't seen it themselves.

I don't get it. You just want to feel like someone thinks it's a good movie before you settle into it? That's the whole point of this thread. EVERYONE thinks they are good movies. You don't see things like Twilight appearing on anyone's lists, now do you? The whole world has recommended those movies. We're only picking which order you're going to watch them in. Stop being silly.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
BisonDollah, Peaceful Anarchy didn't post his list so he's cheating, but I'll reaffirm his Rashômon recommendation. That's my favorite among the ones you had listed.

Edit- Whoops, probably should comment on Life is Beautiful- I had no idea what this was going into it, so I was pretty pleasantly surprised. I enjoy Charlie Chaplin, and you can tell that this is really what Roberto Begnininini was going for here. I was kind of shocked to watch a comedy about the Holocaust, especially a modern day one where we know exactly what went on in those camps. I was also shocked that Guido was killed at the end, considering it wasn't a true story. I guess even a feel good fable can't end perfectly, given the subject matter. Anyway, glad I watched it. Onto the next film:

1. 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her- Godard is usually love or "meh" for me; this was on sale for amazingly cheap so I bought it but haven't watched it yet.

2. Family Plot- Minor Hitchcock left over from the large velvet box set.

3. Bullitt- Honestly, the only reason I've avoided watching this is because I'm not a big Mustang fan...

4. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon- I love John Wayne/John Ford movies, just haven't gotten around to this one.

5. The Three Faces of Eve- Easily the movie I've owned the longest but haven't watched.

6. To Be Or Not To Be- Highest on the They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? list that I haven't seen AND is on Netflix.

7. Pepe le Moko- I've always wondered why Jean Gabin was such a star.

8. Bonnie and Clyde- I love the real-life stories of the 1900s bank robbers, just never gotten around to seeing the film version.

NEW 9. Slumdog Millionaire- Don't know anything about it, don't have THAT much interest in it, but it seems to be something a lot of people have seen and are interested in talking about, so here it is.

10. V for Vendetta- Usually when there's a movie I'm not interested in on the IMDB top 250, I assume it'll disappear as people forget about it or realize it's not that great. This one's still here. Why?

This thread has helped me get rid of: Life is Beautiful

Brian Fellows fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 11, 2010

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Brian Fellows posted:

8. Bonnie and Clyde- I love the real-life stories of the 1900s bank robbers, just never gotten around to seeing the film version.

Can't go wrong here.

Bridge on the River Kwai was amazing as expected. I wasn't too keen on it in the first act, but after Alec Guinness got out of the little shack, I became more and more engrossed, especially as Saito became a much more complex character. If anything, the antagonist of the film was not a person, but merely the presence of pride; in the end it fucks everybody over. The climax was brilliantly composed; the slow crescendo of the train's sounds amongst the growing series of clusterfucks was thoroughly effective. I got chills.

The List:

1. Fanny and Alexander: I have seen zero Bergman outside of Seventh Seal.

2. 8 1/2: I have seen zero Fellini, period.

3. Grand Illusion: All I know about this movie is that all film buffs think it's great and that Woody Allen references it at least once. Sounds like my cup of tea.

4. Rashomon: I've seen a good chunk of Kurosawa's stuff, but in his case, there's always more great stuff to be seen.

5. The Rules of the Game: Another Renoir, apparently. The only Renoir I've seen is The Crime of Monsieur Lange, which I hated, but I also saw it when I was 15 and hated everything that didn't have Bruce Campbell in it.

6. Stroszek: My experiences with Herzog's famous stuff is really limited. I've pretty much only seen his recent stuff.

7. The Wages of Fear: I don't know, it's old and it's French. It's probably good.

8. Tokyo Story: Might as well start banging out these They Shoot Pictures movies. I really want to check out Ozu.

9. Satantango: Lot of love floating around this forum for this movie.

10. Any John Wayne movie with Rio or River in the title: I'm pretty sure I've seen all of them, but I was probably 6 or 7 and don't remember a thing about any of them.

Watched - The Godfather Part II, City of God, Paths of Glory, North by Northwest, The Bridge on the River Kwai

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 11, 2010

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

1. Fanny and Alexander: I have seen zero Bergman outside of Seventh Seal.

I was going to recommend Rashomon (easily my favourite of the films on your list I've seen), but it's already been recommended on this page, so I'm going to throw in a bit of variety. I've only seen two Bergman (this and Autumn Sonata), but I watched the five-hour cut in one sitting and was thoroughly impressed. It has its slow points, but it has a really nice, lowkey magical atmosphere (up until you get to Uncle Isak's house, that is) and Jan Malmsjo is superb as the Bishop.

My list of shamefulness -

1. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - I've been moving slowly through 1970s American cinema over the past few years, and this remains an egregious omission on my behalf. A friend keeps recommending it to me, but I never get around to it.

2. The Rules of the Game - I've not seen any Renoir, and am familiar with this mostly from people on the internet and that Coen brothers short for Chachun du Cinema.

3. Sunrise - Everyone around me who knows film has been praising this since I can remember. Plus, it's up there on the They Shoot Pictures list.

4. The Apartment - My Billy Wilder viewing extends to the brilliant Double Indemnity...and that's it. Makes no sense that I'm not seeing his films.

5. Sunset Boulevard - See above.

6. Raising Arizona - Currently the only Coen brothers film I have not yet seen. I am in love with those two, so this is unforgivable.

7. It's A Wonderful Life - Outside of One Flew Over, this is the highest film in the IMDB Top 250 that I haven't seen. Plus, I think James Stewart's amazing.

8. The Housemaid - I'm a massive fan of South Korean cinema, and the remake of this 1960s melodrama is probably one of the best films I've seen at the cinema this year. That the film isn't available on DVD in New Zealand (to my knowledge) is probably the biggest thing standing in the way of my seeing it.

9. An Actor's Revenge - I'm going through that East Asian cinema phase every film student worth their salt goes through, and I've seen nothing by Kon Ichikawa, which is outrageous.

10. The Hidden Fortress - Arguably one of Kurosawa's most influential works, and it remains unseen by me.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Pigeon Shamus posted:

8. The Housemaid - I'm a massive fan of South Korean cinema, and the remake of this 1960s melodrama is probably one of the best films I've seen at the cinema this year. That the film isn't available on DVD in New Zealand (to my knowledge) is probably the biggest thing standing in the way of my seeing it.

You can watch it free here.

Pigeon Shamus posted:

9. An Actor's Revenge - I'm going through that East Asian cinema phase every film student worth their salt goes through, and I've seen nothing by Kon Ichikawa, which is outrageous.

I wish it was my turn so I could make you watch this. It's one of only three films that I've rated 100 on Criticker (although to be honest, my ratings from 97 to 100 are all pretty interchangeable).

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.

FitFortDanga posted:

You can watch it free here.

Magical, sir, thank you. That is bookmarked for when I have enough bandwidth (stupid 2Gb weekly cap at my hall of residence).

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Pigeon Shamus that's a tough list to pick from they're all great but I'm going with The Rules of the Game because although it's not my favourite Renoir it is pretty great.

The Testament of Dr. Mabuse was a fun and worthy sequel to the silent original. I have to agree that the sound design is pretty cool and overall the film kept me pretty interested.

Updated list:

The Killers For about two years I've been telling myself I should go on a noir splurge, it's about time I do it. I'll watch both the 1946 and 1964 versions for this one.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Inglourious Basterds - Kept me entertained enough and is his strongest since Pulp Fiction IMO. I recognized a lot of music from other films used in this as well most notably "Tiger Tank" from Kelly's Heroes by Lalo Schifrin. I really like that piece.

Bad things:
Scalping grosses me out.
Pitt's accent

New List:

#15 Seven Samurai - I saw the Magnificent Seven many years ago on VHS and have avoided repetition (even though this is the original, seminal work.)

#55 To Kill a Mockingbird - I've read the book and I've sat through multiple tiresome discussions on it in the classroom. I may have actually seen all of this but definitely not in one session.

#67 The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - I know it has the famous "badges" quote. That alone hasn't been persuading enough to make me watch it.

#68 City Lights - Almost rented this once and then I went back later to get it and the copy inexplicably disappeared never to return.

#72 The Prestige - I heard about this being good but I've developed a jaded skepticism over the years about most highly rated new movies because frankly they usually don't deliver. Maybe if it's reached this high it's worth a look.

#79 Singin' in the Rain - I rarely seek out musicals. That song is like kryptonite to me.

#84 Cinema Paradiso - Seen it cutdown a lot in this thread. I've been saving this for a rainy day.

#85 Up - Seems like another cutesy kids movie that I won't like. After enjoying movies like Toy Story and A Bug's Life I developed a healthy aversion to CGI at some point. Looking back I think Shrek was the turning point that made me ill towards CGI in general. I like the more traditional animated movies.

#88 Once Upon a Time in America - A friend told me about this probably a decade ago but I don't remember much of what he said.

#89 The Maltese Falcon - I saw some of this on TV long ago and the ending was spoiled for me. I know it has some famous quotes.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

My divining rod told me this.

Pigeon Shamus posted:

Magical, sir, thank you. That is bookmarked for when I have enough bandwidth (stupid 2Gb weekly cap at my hall of residence).

That's too bad. Does the internet cut out if you go over the cap? Or are you penalized?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Zogo, Seven Samurai is the best one on your list, so go watch it.

The dubbing in Europa '51 is pretty distracting at times but, putting that aside, after a slow start this becomes one of Rossllini's best films. Bergman is absolutely wonderful and the story takes some interesting turns into social commentary. The ending is especially wonderful and well shot.

Updated list:

The Killers For about two years I've been telling myself I should go on a noir splurge, it's about time I do it. I'll watch both the 1946 and 1964 versions for this one.

Novecento OK, I've decided I want to watch the top 600 TSPDT films by the end of the year. With only 17 left it shouldn't be too hard , but there's a handful I'm reluctant to watch and this one tops the list.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10

Obidy
Sep 6, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Agreed, it is about time. That's why I'm assigning you the Killers. Hope you enjoy it!

Wild Strawberries was released the same year as the Seventh Seal, and marked the rise of Bergman as an artist. Though it lacks Seventh Seal's focus, as it has more warmth, and feels more like a story with interesting characters than a parable. However, I feel Bergman successfully shows Borg as a cold bastard. We hear about it, but never really see it. Even so, Wild Strawberries does a great job blending melancholy and introspection with surrealism and dreams. It's definitely worth a watch.

The new, updated list!

1. The Bicycle Thieves - This is one of the many movies on my netflix instant queue right now, and I'm familiar with the basic premise, of a man who has the bicycle he needs for work stolen. I don't know much else except for how it's generally on lists of the greatest movies of all time.

2. Do the Right Thing - My only previous exposure to Spike Lee has been the Inside Man, but I'm interested in seeing some of his earlier stuff. It was between this and Malcolm X, but Do the Right Thing is like an hour and a half shorter, so I went with this one.

3. The Last Emperor - Bertolucci isn't a filmmaker I'm all that familiar with, but for some reason I like the idea of this movie and want to see if it's as good as a lot of critics say it is.

4. The Searchers - My dad is the kind of guy who has seen every, and I mean every John Wayne film ever made. This is his favorite Western of all time, and a few years ago he sat me down to watch it. I got bored and wandered off, but now I'm much more interested in watching it than before.

5. Raging Bull I definitely need to watch more of Scorsese's work, especially from his earlier days. I don't know if I'd say I enjoyed Taxi Driver, but it enthralled me in a horrified sort of way and kept creeping into my thoughts for days. I've been interested in seeing the next of his collaborations with De Niro and Paul Schrader, and I finally got my hands on a copy of this, so, here it is.

6. The General - This supposed to be Buster Keaton's masterpiece, and one of the greatest movies of the silent era. I have yet to see any silents in general, so I wanted to start with a good one.

7. Hoop Dreams - I first became interested in seeing this when I heard it so highly recommended from Roger Ebert, and ever since then I've been meaning to watch it but never got around to it.

8. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - I want some Robert Redford and Paul Newman, but don't have my dad's copy of the Sting with me so I can't watch this when I want to.

9. Paths of Glory - I have only a limited exposure to Kubrick's movies and want to see more, so I figured that this would be a good starting point with him.

10. Yojimbo - I've seen a bunch of Kurosawa's movies, but for some reason I've never seen Yojimbo. I couldn't tell you for the life of me how I missed this one, but it just seemed to slip through my fingers.

Already seen: Wild Strawberries: 9/10

JVO
Nov 30, 2007

In your PANTS.

Obidy, time for you to watch Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

Got around to watching Network and I really enjoyed it. The film continues to be as relevant to the television industry as ever, even 35 years later. This was definitely a tour-de-force for the actors throughout, especially for Finch, who deserved his posthumous Oscar. Great film all around.

Updated List:
1) The Diving Bell And The Butterfly - This one's been near the top of my queue forever, but I always have something bumping it down a slot.

2) American Beauty - While the ending is spoiled, I should still probably see this.
2) Network - Been wanting to watch this as of late, someone pick it.
2) Metropolis - I've never seen this all the way through, and since there's been all this talk lately of the new-found footage, this is probably a good time to remedy that.

3) Eraserhead - I need to catch up on my David Lynch (I've only seen Blue Velvet :ohdear: )

4) Downfall - Seen far too many stupid youtube videos about this but not the actual film.

5) The Squid And The Whale - Well it was the movie of the month, so...
5) Charade - Well it is the movie of the month, so...
5) Fat City - Well it is the movie of the month, so...

6) Chinatown - Stumped to why I haven't seen this yet as I've had numerous chances.

7) City Of God - I've seen the first 10 minutes, but then got sidetracked. Someone put me back on track.
7) Lawrence Of Arabia - Never got the chance to see this, definitely need to change that.
7) Spirited Away - For some reason anime turns me off, but it's been a while, so I'll give it another shot. This is high on the IMDb top 250 so I figured this would be a good place to try again.

8) 12 Angry Men - I've heard this movie mentioned repeatedly lately, so I figure I should see this.
8) One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - No excuse, need to see this.

9) Shakespeare In Love - Decided to go through the best picture winners backwards and pick the first one I haven't seen. Not sure this was a good idea.
9) Rain Man - Continuing on with the best picture winners that I haven't seen.
9) The Deer Hunter - Jumping around the best picture list a bit, but I just realized I've seen Heaven's Gate but not this. What.

10) Terrence Malick - Haven't seen any of his films. Pick one and I'll give it a try. (The Thin Red Line)
10) Lars Von Trier - Shameful that I haven't seen any of his films yet. Where should I start? (Unless I absolutely must see Antichrist, I already know most of the movie through spoilers, so not as interested there).

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

JVO, you need to see One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

The Killers is a Hemingway short story with three different versions on the Criterion DVD and each one has it's own unique charm.

I started off with the 1946 version which I thought made for the best film. The short story is pretty open ended and Siodmak uses it pretty faithfully as the set for a wonderful film noir. Out of the premise he constructs a film full of flashbacks that slowly unravels an intricately plotted mystery with great performances. Along the way we get all the noir staples, femme fatales, sharp dialogue, double crosses, and a shadowy criminal underworld. I loved it.

I followed this up with a short version by Tarkovsky that sticks pretty closely to the short story. It's well made for a student film, especially the cinematography that shows glimpses of the talent involved, but it also has the failings you might expect from such a production including dubious casting and a tone that doesn't quite fit the material.

Finally we have the 1964 version which is a pretty mixed bag. It feels more like an adaptation of the 1946 film than of the short story, changing enough details to be fresh but still following the first film's general outline. As I was watching I thought it felt like a TV production and sure enough it appears that was the case. Despite the talent involved it shows in the very bright lighting, low budget sets and underwhelming performances. Even with all that against it I have to admit it was pretty entertaining and it does some really interesting things with the concept, especially the opening and the ending which are very well done well shot. The middle lacks the tension or pace you'd expect from a thriller, though.

Updated list:

Novecento OK, I've decided I want to watch the top 600 TSPDT films by the end of the year. With only 17 left it shouldn't be too hard , but there's a handful I'm reluctant to watch and this one tops the list.

Brink of Life Bergman is one of my favourite directors yet a month ago I realized I haven't seen a film of his in over a year. I still haven't done anything about it so maybe this thread can help.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
Just finished watching Zatoichi. Can't believe I hadn't given it the time it deserved sooner. The scene where Shinkichi thinks he's mastered the dice betting had my eyes watering with laughter. The visual effects were quite strange but refreshingly different. I'd recommend this to anyone.

Peaceful Anarchy go and watch Pursued

Updated List:

It's a Wonderful Life - Need to get some James Stewart down me.

Heat - Pretty amazed I haven't seen this.

Psycho - Might as well replace Rear Window with another Hitchcock film, seeing as I enjoyed it so much. Hope the parodies don't ruin this one, although I think I've already seen the infamous shower scene.

The Great Escape - I'm sure I've seen it but have very little recollection. It's got Coburn, Bronson and McQueen in as had Magnificent Seven so hopefully it's a winning combo.

Infernal Affairs - Heard it's where The Departed took it's story from. Can't be a bad thing.

Bande á part - I bought this on DVD knowing it shared the name with Tarantino's production company. Never got round to watching it, though.

The Dirty Dozen - Quite enjoyed wild bunch so thought I'd replace it with a similar 'flawed heroes' film. Kelly's Heroes next, probably.

Hard Boiled - Never seen this and I've no idea why. It looks like the sort of movie I'd like and I've heard great things about John Woo.

The Graduate - I really don't know much about this film and I've not seen any of Hoffman's work before Rainman, really. Never had the opportunity to watch this.

Serpico - Big fan of Pacino but never sat down and watched this.

Once Upon A Time In America Zatoichi Downfall Children of Men The Deer Hunter Sunset Boulevard Badlands Jackie Brown Citizen Kane The Wild Bunch Seven Samurai The Magnificent Seven Casablanca Cool Hand Luke Amadeus Rear Window 2001: A Space Odyssey North by Northwest

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
mikewozere: watch The Graduate

So I finally finished Berlin Alexanderplatz. Obviously watching it was quite an ordeal, simply due to the length. It took a little while to pick up steam too, but once it did it really got good. The last few episodes were really powerful and I really had no idea what direction things were going to go. Then there was the epilogue which was crazy and very different from the rest of the series. Definitely a fitting ending though.

Updated list:
The Idiots - I'm a big Von Trier fan, but I still haven't seen this one (or any of his early ones other than The Element of Crime)

The Piano Teacher
Apocalypse Now
Vivre sa vie - gonna throw another Godard on here. This one in particular, because the blu-ray for it is sitting in my apartment.

Z
Bad Education - I like the Almodovars I've seen and I've been meaning to see this one for a while, but I just never got around to it.

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker
Belle de jour
The Thin Blue Line - There's kind of a lack of American movies on this list, and I also need some more Errol Morris under my belt. The only Morris film I've seen is Gates of Heaven. I picked this one in particular because it's on Netflix Instant.

Downfall
The Birth of a Nation - The length on this one is a tad discouraging. I haven't watched any other silents that are quite this long. I'm also worried the movie will piss me off, so that makes the length even more discouraging. It's pretty much the most "canon" film period, though, so I do still want to see it.

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Man with a Movie Camera - I had actually never heard of this until I came upon it on the Internet Archive a few years ago. It looks intriguing, but I do kind of worry that I won't really "get" it.

Babel - I've seen Amores perros and this one's gotten some really good (and some less good) reactions

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo
Shoot the Piano Player - I love Truffaut and have seen several of his films, and love the French New Wave in general, so I'll throw this one in here.

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita - I've seen quite a few Fellinis, but not this one yet.

Audition
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
Berlin Alexanderplatz
L'age d'or - Old Bunuel which I haven't seen. Most importantly, though, it's nice and short.

Baktus
Jan 30, 2008
dotCommunism, I am recommending Babel. It is one of only two movies I have seen on your list so it's not much to go on.

I watched The Hustler and it has a very basic storyline. I felt the movie was good at the time but I don't know if I would want to watch it again soon. Like once I had watched it I felt like I had absorbed everything there is to it. Wich usually is not always the case with me. Paul Newman and George C. Scott performed well. Paul Newman has a great charm about him wich makes him very watchable. 7/10

The Gold Rush: I find Charlie Chaplin to be an extremely interesting person. I am pretty well read about him personally but haven't seen his movies.

Sunset Blvd
The Lost Weekend: Sticking with Billy Wilder theme here.

The Third Man
The Maltese Falcon: This is a genre I definitely need to catch up to and this one is next in line.

High Noon: Has been put on hold too many times in favor of other movies.

M: I have a very vague idea what this movie is about. I know it is directed by Lang.

The Conversation
Dial M for Murder: This is a random pick from Hitchcock movies I have not seen, wich are all but two.

The Hustler:
Cool Hand Luke: Liked Newman, want more Newman. I have seen bits of this movie but not enough to know the story.

Sleuth: Heard of this movie from these forums. It has been recommended pretty often so I'll put my trust in that.

The Treasure of Sierra Madre: This movie just never peaked my interest, but in the spirit of this thread I am willing to give it a go.

The Bridge on the river Kwai
On the Waterfront
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly: Putting this one in because my sister recommended it. I have somehow avoided watching this and I don't know why.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Bactus, you need to see The Gold Rush. Probably Chaplin's most finely balanced film -there's emotional moments, sweet moments & just bloody inventively funny and well executed moments. Bread rolls have never made me smile so much.

Hmm, how peculiar. A gripe because I wish for a little more interaction and to take advantage of the brilliant opines of a collection of maybe the most enthusiastic movie-lovers on the net. Ho-hum! Anyhoo, Rashômon was a pleasure to watch, it looks fantastic & I really enjoyed the story. Really very different from most of the films I've been watching recently, will be giving it a re-watch soon. I'd like to take Metropolis off my list because it's playing in my local cinema and I'm going to go see it tomorrow, I'm replacing it with another Fritz Lang film I'd like to see.

1. Intolerence (1916, D.W. Griffith)
I've recently become really interested in early-cinema and although I don't have the patience to deal with Birth of a Nation I realise that D.W. Griffith was pretty important to the development of cinema and would like to see at least one of his films, Intolerance seems to have a message which is the polar opposite of Birth of a Nation so it seems to be a natural choice.

2. Destiny (1921, Fritz Lang)
I like the synopsis of the story and want to see as much Lang as I can.

I've adored every Hitchcock film I've seen and The 39 Steps is probably the next most famous one I've yet to experience.

4. Gone With the Wind (1939, Victor Fleming)
Until very recently I had this and Casablanca lumped into the same "old romantic film I don't really need to see" box in my head - after watching the greatness that is Casablanca I fear that this may not actually be worth my time. It's like the Danny DeVito to the Arnold Schwarzenegger in Twins... or is it?

5. The Grapes of Wrath (1940, John Ford)
I don't know much about this film or John Ford, I'd like to change that.

6. Citizen Kane (1941, Orson Welles)
My most SHAMEFUL, SHAME.

8. A Streetcar Named Desire (1951, Elia Kazan)
Kazan and Brando - it's got to be great. I really enjoyed an amateur production of Tennessee Williams' play Suddenly Last Summer earlier this year & if this film captures the same sort of wry, brilliant Southern patter than I'll really love it.

9. The Killing (1956, Stanley Kubrick)
I started watching this and the voice-over killed me, I thought it was horrible and had to turn over. I've read a lot of great reviews though and it comes highly recommended so I want to give it a shot.

10. Ben-Hur (1959, William Wyler)
I just feel that Ben-Hur is one of those big-budget classic movies that anyone and everyone should have seen.

11. Gojira (1954, Ishirô Honda)
I watched the original King Kong fairly recently and I think it's a shame I've never seen the original Godzilla, I'm expecting enjoyable pop-corn fodder.

Seen:
7. Rashômon - 8/10

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Sep 13, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. George Kaplan
Jan 4, 2010

I'm in the middle of a major business transaction here and--

BisonDollah posted:

Have at it. If you already like Hitchcock then you're all set.

I got sick and had time to watch Saving Private Ryan while recovering. I'm not a big fan of typical war movies but there were a lot of great moments here. I had no idea half of the people in the cast were in the movie so that was nice. 4 out of 5 stars.

A Nightmare on Elm Street – I’ve seen most horror classics by now but have never had any interest in this movie.

Amadeus – I was underwhelmed by the play and so I haven’t been especially inspired to see the film.

Das Boot – Nabbed this one from the imdb top 250. I don’t watch a lot of war movies even though on the rare occasion I do watch I often times love them, including Letters From Iwo Jima, Apocalypse Now, Downfall and Joyeux Noël.

The Godfather Part II
The Green Mile – For a while I confused this with another movie and avoided it but for some reason I never saw it once I found out what it really was. I love Shawshank and The Mist so I should probably watch this.

The Karate Kid – Recently a friend of mine informed me this is actually a worthwhile film. I was under the impression it was not.

The Maltese Falcon – I love film noir detective stories to death but haven’t seen this. I know not why.

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) – Watched the original and I keep putting off seeing the remake even though I love Hitchcock.

Pi – I once lied and said I saw this. I did not.

Saving Private Ryan
Hotel Rwanda - I keep putting off watching this because "it's SO depressing" even though I've seen plenty of Holocaust films.

To Kill a Mockingbird
King Kong (1933) – I know this is supposed to be a classic but I already know everything that happens and terrible stop motion animation just takes me out of a film unless I'm watching it for camp value.