Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thanks to that Pinky and the Brain parody, I finally realized Welles is narrating a TV ad which he is watching while reading. I always thought it was a radio ad and the talking of being in snow and so on made no sense. I thought Welles was imagining them based on context or that the cans of peas had snow on them.

I feel this is a fairly precise gauge of the depths of my ignorance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I didn't realize that "DADADADA, DA, DA-DA-DA" was the Mars overture until the Venture Brothers made me look it up.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
It's spelled 'Whisky' on every bottle of scotch. If you're talking about scotch, that's how you spell it, damnit.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Clitch posted:

It's spelled 'Whisky' on every bottle of scotch. If you're talking about scotch, that's how you spell it, damnit.

There's a sort of rule of thumb: if the English name for the country of origin has an "e" in it, then you spell it whiskey (Ireland, America). If the name does not have an "e", then you spell it whisky (Canada, Scotland, Japan).

It's not a perfect rule, and some American distillers label their product whisky, but it's easy to remember for the vast majority of whiskies you'll encounter.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

benito posted:

There's a sort of rule of thumb: if the English name for the country of origin has an "e" in it, then you spell it whiskey (Ireland, America). If the name does not have an "e", then you spell it whisky (Canada, Scotland, Japan).

It's not a perfect rule, and some American distillers label their product whisky, but it's easy to remember for the vast majority of whiskies you'll encounter.

The rule of thumb I go by is: I am an American, and the American spelling of the word is "whiskey."

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
The Advisor thinks it's a drat shame how squabbling over spelling can derail a thread, so perhaps we can be of some assistance. The easiest way to put it, fellows, is this: one drinks scotch whisky, but one also drinks whiskey from the jar. (Good luck finding the still and bring along a local when you do, lest they mistake you for a revenuer.)

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

benito posted:

Japanese whisky? Jesus christ. Do I want to know? Is it flavored with octopus penis or something?

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

McGravin posted:

Japanese whisky? Jesus christ. Do I want to know? Is it flavored with octopus penis or something?

Because the "Japan = tentacle rape/high school girls" joke is still funny, right? No, according to Wikipedia, Japanese whisky is supposed to be, for the most part, an imitation of Scottish whisky.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Cobweb Heart posted:

Because the "Japan = tentacle rape/high school girls" joke is still funny, right? No, according to Wikipedia, Japanese whisky is supposed to be, for the most part, an imitation of Scottish whisky.

Nikka whisky isn't too bad either.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Cobweb Heart posted:

Sorry, I didn't intend to offend your love of tentacle rape (and yes, that joke is still funny). I merely meant that the Japanese are somewhat known for taking food and drink from other places and flavoring them with strange things or otherwise making them weird.

McGravin fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 6, 2010

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

McGravin posted:

Sorry, I didn't intend to offend your love of tentacle rape (and yes, that joke is still funny). I merely meant that the Japanese are somewhat known for taking food and drink from other places and flavoring them with strange things or otherwise making them weird.

There was an entire movie about Bill Murray's character shilling for a real Japanese whisky company.

"For relaxing times, make it Suntory time."

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
It's whisky for fucksake, end of debate. When you think of whisky, what country do you think of? Scotland. How is it spelled in Scotland? Whisky.

Cobweb Heart posted:

Because the "Japan = tentacle rape/high school girls" joke is still funny, right? No
Overly defensive, aren't you?

Why don't you take a seat...

Blutnerd
Jul 22, 2007

Monoton und Minimal

McGravin posted:

The japanese make a decent single malt, but it sort of stops there. I'd actually rather see them try something crazy and asian with the flavour instead of the carbon-copy they have today. Or at least something that sets them apart from the rest. I have somewhat limited tasting experience, though, having only tried a selection of the Yamazaki single malts and some Hibiki (I believe). And my tastes tend to run towards Islay normally, which can make most any whisky seem bland in comparison.

Apologies for continuing this, but as derails go, this one can certainly be said to be in the spirit of the comic.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Cobweb Heart posted:

Is the notion honestly out of the realm of possibility in your mind?
Kinda :nws:

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Agree with me, friend, that in a perfect world there is an inexpensive whiskey named Ancient Shenanigan.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I too associate an entire nations culture, industry and history with their batshit insane pop culture magnified by the internet.

So hows those big cowboy hats going guys?

On a serious note god I really do miss this comic updating.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

SeanBeansShako posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V17duGlHEYY

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Onstad...Onstad start the reactor. Free mars.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

Same here.

Achewood has been dethroned by the other comics in my rotation from its spot as my favorite not by quality, but rather attrition.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Achewood Thread 12: Waiting for Godot

I think I'm going to draw a hot bath, pour a cold martini, and read through my two Achewood hardback books tonight. Rather than complain about the current pacing, maybe I'd be better off reliving the glory days of the Great Outdoor Fight.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Warren Ellis gives Onstad the mad propers today on his website: http://www.warrenellis.com/?p=10576

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Is this Teodor/Nice Pete story going to get resolved at all?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Shmoses posted:

And what about that haunted banjo?

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Zereth posted:

And what about that haunted banjo?

And Scrambles the puppy?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
And did we ever find out who ate Ray's dang nachos? :ohdear:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

McGravin posted:

And Scrambles the puppy?

And who ate Ray's dang nachos?

e: DAMMIT!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

McGravin posted:

And Scrambles the puppy?

Onstad's comment in the 2nd Dark Horse volume about Scrambles makes me sad :(

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Shmoses posted:

We'll eventually get a burst of strips that will resolve the plot and have a couple of Ray-centric inconsequential humor strips, then the update schedule will drop back to zero again.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Jerusalem posted:

Onstad's comment in the 2nd Dark Horse volume about Scrambles makes me sad :(

I like to picture Scrambles relaxing on a beach with a margarita. He never mentioned where he was going when he was lost, turns out it was a trip to the airport.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

rotinaj posted:

And who ate Ray's dang nachos?

e: DAMMIT!

And where the hell is the instruction manual to the drum machine?

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."
:siren: NEW STRIP dogbreaths :siren:

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
I desperately want that sign for my job.

However I don't like the implications for Achewood in general...

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

choobs posted:

I desperately want that sign for my job.

However I don't like the implications for Achewood in general...

Onstad doesn't work in a corporate office, so I think it'll be okay.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Wow. This strip gave us "poo poo the bed with the lights on" (an important qualifier) and "dong-razzled." Good show, Chris.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Grilldos posted:

Onstad doesn't work in a corporate office, so I think it'll be okay.

Well I do... and if I could possibly get that sign up in my cube without getting fired it might actually make my job worth coming to.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I had a dream we got a 3 page color update. Then the next day we got another one that was even longer, and I kept clicking forward and just when I thought there couldn't possibly be anymore pages I woke up.

I miss Achewood :(

(this was a great one but 2 and a half weeks is torture)

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When will that sign be available in the Achewood shop?

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

Guy A. Person posted:

I had a dream we got a 3 page color update. Then the next day we got another one that was even longer, and I kept clicking forward and just when I thought there couldn't possibly be anymore pages I woke up.

I miss Achewood :(
I didn't want to post about it, but I had literally the exact same dream.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Sergeant Rock posted:

:siren: NEW STRIP dogbreaths :siren:

Upon seeing the update in my RSS reader, I squealed like a little girl(*) and hastily clicked on the link without reading it, but as the screen was changing I thought I saw the link had read "A Final Lovely gently caress You Friday." Cue a couple of seconds of sheer terror as I was convinced it would be Onstad's last strip, and the gently caress You directed at the fans.

Fortunately the title was "Another Lovely gently caress You Friday." Close call averted. This thread is blowing my native pessimism out of proportion.

* This probably did not actually happen. (**)
** OK, it totally did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I got an awkwardly loud chuckle out of "laser-guided MAN JUSTICE."