Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Ice Blue posted:

Or you could just get the best of both worlds and pick up one of the cool Android Phones available on Verizon like the HTC Incredible and get the new Touch to supplement the need for iOS apps.

You can also use the touch to supplement Android's mediocre at best music skills. This is also how I somehow remain patient with my first-gen these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
Since Apple's not going to make the iPod Touch fatter for next year, is it even technically possible for 5G to have a better quality camera w/autofocus? I think a lot of us are assuming that it will, but maybe that's a false hope. I have a feeling iPod cameras will always be gimped since Apple's so focused on making the device thin. If that's the case, I might as well get the 4G =/

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

SnowWolf posted:

Since Apple's not going to make the iPod Touch fatter for next year, is it even technically possible for 5G to have a better quality camera w/autofocus?
No.

SnowWolf posted:

I think a lot of us are assuming that it will, but maybe that's a false hope.
Yes.

SnowWolf posted:

I have a feeling iPod cameras will always be gimped since Apple's so focused on making the device thin. If that's the case, I might as well get the 4G =/
Indeed.

Unless Apple finds a way to fit a decent sensor into the iPod touch, which is highly unlikely, then it's simply not happening. As it is, it's amazing they managed to fit the 2 FaceTime cameras while making it thinner.

Of course, there's also the possibility that Apple wouldn't add a decent sensor even if they could.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.
Sorry if this has been addressed already, but is it possible to have SMS forwarded from my phone to an app on the iPod touch and for me to be able to reply and have that sent back through the phone and out to the recipient? The practical purpose of this is that my phone's keyboard sucks and it would be nice to be able to just keep my phone in my pocket and use the touch's keyboard to text.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
What kind of phone?

Edit: wait, I should have read that better. I don't think the 'make replies look like it came from my phone' part is possible.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 9, 2010

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Picked up my second 4G touch today. The first one had to go back as defective. Damnedest thing. The Apple logo on boot up showed a ton of artifacting, then it would blue screen and reboot. I managed in between all of that to restore the software once to no effect.

Just packed it in and returned it under warranty to the Apple Store this morning. The new one is sitting on my desk until I can get home and test it out.

On the upside, the 2-3 minutes I had to play with it, the screen looks great, and the cameras are really impressive to me, for something this size.

Anyone know if the iPad Dock to VGA would work with these? I'm guessing no, but am hopeful.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
So does this thing work with Skype?

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

So does this thing work with Skype?

Yes, although you'll be on "speakerphone".

Kin Corn Karn
Mar 9, 2008

if anyone wants to help me test facetime, send an invite to timeface at live dot com. and i'll give you a virtual tour of my apartment.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Just ordered a 32. How long does it take to ship usually?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Peven Stan posted:

Just ordered a 32. How long does it take to ship usually?
Ordered mine on the 1st, shipped on the 6th, picked it up on the 8th. I should mention that this was probably with an upgrade to 2-day that Apple gave most people who preordered.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Karthe posted:

Ordered mine on the 1st, shipped on the 6th, picked it up on the 8th. I should mention that this was probably with an upgrade to 2-day that Apple gave most people who preordered.
Good god. Mine says 3-5 days right now so hopefully Apple didn't fib on that.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Okay, I must be stupid or something. How do I get the HD video that I took off of my iPod in Windows? I don't want to e-mail it to myself or upload it directly to YouTube, I want the raw file. It's easy to grab photos through windows explorer, but the video that I just shot is not showing up in the same DCIM folder.

EDIT: Ah. I had taken the video while the iPod was plugged into my computer, so the folder didn't update with the file until I disconnected and reconnected the iPod. Silly me.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 10, 2010

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

JazzFlight posted:

Okay, I must be stupid or something. How do I get the HD video that I took off of my iPod in Windows? I don't want to e-mail it to myself or upload it directly to YouTube, I want the raw file. It's easy to grab photos through windows explorer, but the video that I just shot is not showing up in the same DCIM folder.
Plug your iPod into your computer, open the iPod in Explorer (for Windows, anyway), then grab the .mov file in the DCIM folder, just like you would a picture :)

Edit: Oh hey, you figured it out! Good to know, I'd have been stumped if I'd done something like that in the future.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I totally need a case. When are the first cases available in stores?
It's annoying fretting over possible scratches on the back and the actual body is too thin to be comfortable in games.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
If I try to back-up my iTunes Library will it also migrate games?

http://ipod.about.com/od/howtos/a/transfer_itunes.htm

Most of the tutorials I've read only mentions movies and music, which is the least of my worries considering I have them ripped to mp3 or mp4 format already.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Well looks like the ship date slipped from 15-17 to 15-21. This doesn't look good :ohdear:

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
So I am running into a bit of a problem trying to fix an Itouch for someone, one of her friends thought it would be funny to put a pass code on it. And then somehow immediately "forgot" what the code was. They kept putting in combinations over and over until the Itouch said it had been disabled and needed to be connected to Itunes. Then when connected to Itunes it says it can't be used because there is a passcode on it.

I have tried Putting it into DFU mode and recover it, but I get all sorts of errors from it saying "an unknown error has occurred" to "Build not accepted". Ive looked up video tutorials and guides but constantly hit wall after wall with the thing. Is there anything I can do to completely clear out this Itouch, load it with its original firmware?

I know it is a 2G, but beyond that am pretty clueless

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Can you download a copy of the curret firmware (I don't have a link on hand, but a quick google search will turn up something), then do the Shift+Click trick on the Update button in ITunes and choose that firmware file? That's the only thing I can think of.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
I have tried this, and it gives me an unknown error "13" google searching this error gives me a bunch of people telling me to do what I have already done.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

JazzFlight posted:

I totally need a case. When are the first cases available in stores?

This is my current question too. I'd love a case right about now.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

This is my current question too. I'd love a case right about now.
Cases are pretty much non-existent at this point. I'd say wait until the end of September, and see what comes up. I e-mailed SwitchEasy a week and a half ago and asked them when they'd release some Touch 4G cases, and their response was that they'd try and have something out by the end of the month. I assume other case makers are in the same boat, scrambling to release something to cash in on the new case rush.

If you're desperate for a case, Hard Candy Cases's Street Skin is shipping on the 15th, so you might want to preorder one now.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So I know the latest iPod Touch firmware breaks jailbreaking and adds game center, but are there any performance enhancements really?

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
Is there any way to do video calls to PC users without Facetime? iPod Skype doesn't seem to support video calls.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I recently got a broken 3G that is now almost working, but the frame is broken from it being opened, and the digitizer looks like it is ripping.

Are glass/digitizers and frames interchangeable for 2G and 3G touches? Do you have any recommended suppliers that aren't shipping from Hong Kong?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Astro7x posted:

So I know the latest iPod Touch firmware breaks jailbreaking and adds game center, but are there any performance enhancements really?

If you're on a second-gen, your touch is much faster.

Northern_most
Mar 29, 2010

Godzilla07 posted:

If you're on a second-gen, your touch is much faster.

I've noticed increased battery life on my second gen touch.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I think this is the closest thing there is to a general iPod thread, so I'm gonna ask this here.

My HD just died, leaving the sole archive of my music on my old old iPod 5G. What's the current best program to get songs off an iPod available for Mac OS? My old standby was YamiPod, but apparently it's old enough to not support the firmware in my iPod anymore.

Failing that, if ephPod still the best for Windows?

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
^^ Senuti is pretty good and I think it'll work for you?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Boxman posted:

Failing that, if ephPod still the best for Windows?
Not sure about best, but a couple of months ago I used SharePod for the same reason and it worked perfectly with minimal effort -- don't even have a program to install.

Kin Corn Karn
Mar 9, 2008

SnowWolf posted:

Is there any way to do video calls to PC users without Facetime? iPod Skype doesn't seem to support video calls.

Rumor has it that apple will be adding facetime functionality into ichat for desktop/laptop users to interface with iphone and ipod touch facetime.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I have to admit I am becoming a bit of an Apple fanboy after my first Apple purchase, the iPad, was one of the greatest things I ever bought (a little annoyed I can't get my Playboy on Zinio due to Apple censorship but whatever) and I am considering an iPod Touch. This was solidified by the fact that Squaresoft is porting my favorite game ever, Secret of Mana, to the device.

I really, really don't want to spend a lot since I'm going to be using it mostly for games and apps and not really an MP3 player (I already have an MP3 player I adore). I was just wondering if getting a refurbished 2G from the Apple store for only $150 is a good idea. I really don't know if the 50% increase in price is worth it for the 8GB 4G.

Can someone sway me in one direction or the other? I'm never, ever going to use the camera or face time. The only thing that makes me consider the 4G is the retina display because I keep hearing how gorgeous it is. But I'm confused. Most, if not all iPod apps were made without the retina display in mind. How the hell would they look any better at a higher resolution on the same size screen? I know text should look better but I'm not going to be browsing the web or texting or anything like that.

The only thing I care about is motion blur, really. Games with flat graphics tend to show off motion blur much more easily. It's very, very apparent on my iPad (because of the IPS panel), but the 2G or the 4G don't use IPS. I am wondering if between the 2G and the 4G, if one handles motion blur better than the others. I know I am sounding anal retentive here but the PSP's motion blur is so bad I never play it, and most people I know say they don't notice it.

One other factor is the RAM, but this confuses me more than anything else. Other than for multitasking and video recording (neither of which I plan to do), what the hell does the RAM matter? Don't app programmers have to make their games/whatever work with even the oldest of iPhones? There's no way in hell an app is going to have RAM requirements, is there?

Sorry for my long post but I'm spending too much on gadgets these days and really want to make an informed decision! Thanks!

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Hamburglar I have limited experience as I have only seen the 4g Ipod touch (I bought one yesterday), and the 3g (not 3gs) Iphone in action (my partners) BUT

Don't do it. If you really want to get one for on the go gaming, get the new ipod touch or at least a 3gs version. My girlfriend has the 3g iphone and she can't do poo poo on it. A game like plants vs. Zombies literally takes almost a minute to load, and chunks up when too much gets on screen- which is literally every level about 50% of the way through. Some games just flat out don't work properly at all, and it shuts down and freezes during a lot of quite intensive ones. Even farmville is chunky on it since the IOS4 update. It's pathetic.

The new one seems really spiffy.

If the motion blur thing you're talking about is what I'm thinking, you're referring to ghosting? And yeah it's poo poo terrible on the PSP. Luckily I haven't seen that on either iphone 3g or the ipod touch 4g but it won't really make a difference if it can't handle the game properly.

You mentioned that game developers have to make it work with the oldest of iphones- not sure if this is true, but they just have to make it work OK, and the rest? Who cares. Most people will start to have 3gs/4's by now, so if someone pays for an app then it is all chunky, who do they care? People will blame the phone, not the app. It's poo poo, but it happens.

To be honest mate I'm not really sure if it sounds like you need one or not... I mean can't the iPad play these things anyway (I may be wrong here)? I mean the touch is pretty nifty to have around for an alternative to a DS or a PSP, especially since now it more or less beats them out graphically, but have you had a look at what you'd be buying it for? Since you can get a bunch of this stuff on iPad anyway, and you're not going to use facetime or the MP3 player or the camera... you're basically looking at it like buying a new handheld portable gaming platform. And as a gaming platform the older iphones/pods are just poo poo. Like I'd take a DS anyday over some of them. Like I said before, the old 3g Iphone could barely handle poo poo like angry birds (well it could do that but it had some definite slowdown and sometimes crashed, or the music cut out)

I don't want to seem negative, just imo pretend that the ipod 4g is your only bet and then look at whether it's worth it for you. I don't have an iphone or an ipad, my old 1g ipod touch died and these came out so I got one, and it is cool, but I use it for heaps of stuff like web browsing and gaming and mp3 player and so on- you would probably browse on the ipad, and mp3 player you already have... it sounds like you might not need to bother but it's up to you obviously :)

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

Hamburglar posted:

Can someone sway me in one direction or the other? I'm never, ever going to use the camera or face time. The only thing that makes me consider the 4G is the retina display because I keep hearing how gorgeous it is. But I'm confused. Most, if not all iPod apps were made without the retina display in mind. How the hell would they look any better at a higher resolution on the same size screen? I know text should look better but I'm not going to be browsing the web or texting or anything like that.

A lot of games have been updated to support the Retina display, and most new games coming out support it from the get-go.

Hamburglar posted:

The only thing I care about is motion blur, really. Games with flat graphics tend to show off motion blur much more easily. It's very, very apparent on my iPad (because of the IPS panel), but the 2G or the 4G don't use IPS. I am wondering if between the 2G and the 4G, if one handles motion blur better than the others. I know I am sounding anal retentive here but the PSP's motion blur is so bad I never play it, and most people I know say they don't notice it.

The ghosting bugged the poo poo out of me when I had a PSP, but it's a complete non-issue on the iPod for me.

Hamburglar posted:

One other factor is the RAM, but this confuses me more than anything else. Other than for multitasking and video recording (neither of which I plan to do), what the hell does the RAM matter? Don't app programmers have to make their games/whatever work with even the oldest of iPhones? There's no way in hell an app is going to have RAM requirements, is there?

You may not plan to use multitasking, but you don't really have a choice; if an app supports multitasking it stays resident in memory when you go back to the Home screen, and to kill it you have to open the "task manager" (really just a list of recently-opened apps) and close it manually. There's also no differentiation in the task manager between apps that are still running and apps that aren't, so if you want to clear out your device's RAM you'll just have to kill each app one by one. In addition, app developers aren't required to make their apps work with every device; a lot of newer games coming out now, especially the fancier ones, don't support first-gen devices, and some don't support second-gen devices either.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks a million for the replies! I would in fact use my iPad for everything but I don't bring it everywhere. I also already have a DS but that's not getting my Secret of Mana port now, is it? :)

I don't think I am going to go with an iPod Touch G4 because of the reasons teacup mentioned. I really don't want to spend $200+ on a handheld gaming device, plus it seems as though the updated G4's cannot be Jailbroken and if I ordered one now, it's likely Apple did something internal to the current batch to prevent it from being doable in the future.

It's really lovely that some things don't work on the iPod Touch/1st gen iPhones. I understand technology changes but I always thought Apple was friendly to everyone who bought their stuff. I can't imagine how must it much suck to have a 2G or 1G iPod Touch and pay for an app only to have it work like poo poo. Kind of makes me regret getting a 1G iPad considering the RAM is so low in it (lower than the new iPhone). Oh well.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

Hamburglar posted:

It's really lovely that some things don't work on the iPod Touch/1st gen iPhones. I understand technology changes but I always thought Apple was friendly to everyone who bought their stuff. I can't imagine how must it much suck to have a 2G or 1G iPod Touch and pay for an app only to have it work like poo poo. Kind of makes me regret getting a 1G iPad considering the RAM is so low in it (lower than the new iPhone). Oh well.

For what it's worth, the iPhone 4G is the only iOS device with 512 MB of RAM. The new touches still have 256 MB.

Also, don't blame Apple for new apps not working on old devices. If they required every app to work on every device, they'd essentially be rendering the hardware upgrades in the newer devices moot since nobody would be able to make use of them.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx posted:

For what it's worth, the iPhone 4G is the only iOS device with 512 MB of RAM. The new touches still have 256 MB.

Also, don't blame Apple for new apps not working on old devices. If they required every app to work on every device, they'd essentially be rendering the hardware upgrades in the newer devices moot since nobody would be able to make use of them.

The one thing I love about iPods (and Apple products in general), they seem to be like a BMW of the computing world IMO. Even after a year or two of use and you want to upgrade, is that if you've taken care of it (case, not dropping it, etc), you can sell it for somewhat close to what you paid for it or even more for an iPhone.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx posted:

Absolutely. I'm not a buffoon who still uses a Pentium 2 E-Machine and gets pissed that Starcraft 2 doesn't work on it. But I've never seen an iPod app have a system requirement (other than camera/data usage/iPad being required). It should detect that you have an older iPod/iPhone and tell you the app is not compatible or something. But I'm definitely not getting a 2G if it's not even going to run Angry Birds properly.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

Hamburglar posted:

Absolutely. I'm not a buffoon who still uses a Pentium 2 E-Machine and gets pissed that Starcraft 2 doesn't work on it. But I've never seen an iPod app have a system requirement (other than camera/data usage/iPad being required). It should detect that you have an older iPod/iPhone and tell you the app is not compatible or something. But I'm definitely not getting a 2G if it's not even going to run Angry Birds properly.

iTunes will tell you if you try to buy an app that's incompatible with your device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx posted:

iTunes will tell you if you try to buy an app that's incompatible with your device.

That's cool then. But how do you explain teacup's experience with Angry Birds and Plants v Zombies? I also meant RAM should be a requirement.

• Locked thread