Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em

happy cabbage posted:

In Death Star he was actually like "welp im hosed going to be known as planet killer rest of my life"
If he wasn't such a pussy and blew up the rebel base, the Empire would have won and nobody would think poorly of him for destroying that terrorist nest known as Alderaan:colbert:

Ograbme fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 9, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
There are lots of Very Bad Things about the reverse grip for anything but short single-edged blades used in extreme close quarters combat. The lightsaber is LONG and ALL EDGE.

edit: Basically what I'm trying to say is that looking "cool" is no excuse when used over anything that is actually rear end-blindingly obviously stupid/bad/retarded/etc. And really, this is one of the core complaints against the entire PT.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 9, 2010

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing
Just found this on Wookieepedia:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bender_%28droid%29

Yes, that Bender. At least they're thorough.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

NGL posted:

Just found this on Wookieepedia:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bender_%28droid%29

Yes, that Bender. At least they're thorough.

Well, according to Futurama canon the Sith did invade Earth in 2865.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I downloaded the TFU demo and right at the beginning I accidentally threw my lightsaber and chopped the head off of an R2 unit. It shrieked. Killed my enthusiasm along with that poor little droid.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

I downloaded the TFU demo and right at the beginning I accidentally threw my lightsaber and chopped the head off of an R2 unit. It shrieked. Killed my enthusiasm along with that poor little droid.

That would SELL me on the game. Your priorities are out of order. Do you also find the murder of Jawas and Ewoks to be horrific instead of awesome?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

Go a few feet further down the corridor, then pick up a GONK droid with the Force and throw him out the window, into a TIE bomber.

Then walk away from the explosion in slow-mo :c00lbert:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

TheLoquid posted:

TFU was fun, if only because force throwing things is a fantastic game mechanic. I would play a game based entirely around force throwing things and have a blast.

I did play a game about force throwing things around and having a blast. It was called The Force Unleashed and it was fun as gently caress. If you don't play it using only force push or force grab, you're playing it wrong.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

WampaLord posted:

That would SELL me on the game. Your priorities are out of order. Do you also find the murder of Jawas and Ewoks to be horrific instead of awesome?

I expect no less based on your avatar. That said, killing jawas and ewoks is entertainment, pure and simple.

But droids? Throwing GONK out a window? You are all terrible people. :cry:

EDIT:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 10, 2010

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

NGL posted:

Yeah, but the wiki says that for pretty much every game (e.g. KOTOR, Jedi Knight, etc.)

Light side ending is canon in TFU's case because the alternative contradicts the movies: Starkiller kills Vader, goes on to become Palpatine's private assassin and fights Boba Fett, Obi-Wan, Obi-wan's GHOST, and Luke.

Anyway, TFU's canonicity doesn't bug me just because how disconnected from everything else it feels. I doubt it will ever be mentioned much outside of TFU-related materials and wiki's/encyclopedias. It's pretty easy to ignore it entirely and just enjoy it as a dumb, over-the-top action game set in the Star Wars universe.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

NGL posted:

Yeah, but the wiki says that for pretty much every game (e.g. KOTOR, Jedi Knight, etc.)
I'm the kind of pussy that plays light-side options anyway (playing dark-side leaves me feeling...dirty), the one exception was Jedi Academy because I just couldn't let Rosh live.

But anyway, I kinda like the light-side being canonical, because its the ending I like, That being said, it would be nice to see a SW game where the dark-side wins. Imagine if the KotOR I ending had been DS, then KotOR II could have been tearing down game 1. Same with Dark Forces (the one where the DS leaves Emperor Katarn on the throne).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Tobaccrow posted:

Light side ending is canon in TFU's case because the alternative contradicts the movies: Starkiller kills Vader, goes on to become Palpatine's private assassin and fights Boba Fett, Obi-Wan, Obi-wan's GHOST, and Luke.

Are you loving kidding me? You fight Obi-Wan's ghost? How the hell does that even work?

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Chairman Capone posted:

Are you loving kidding me? You fight Obi-Wan's ghost? How the hell does that even work?
Darth Starkiller catches up to the Millenium Falcon as they're escaping Mos Eisley and Obi-Wan stays behind to stall him. At the conclusion of the fight, Starkiller does a Force-Hammertoss and hurls Obi-Wan into the Falcon's engines. Obi-Wan EXPLODES (Like, a literal FORCE GHOST-SPLOSION) and comes back as a Force Ghost to keep fighting.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

happy cabbage posted:

In Death Star he was actually like "welp im hosed going to be known as planet killer rest of my life"

It'd be cooler if the modeled him more like this guy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Tibbets

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Slantedfloors posted:

Darth Starkiller catches up to the Millenium Falcon as they're escaping Mos Eisley and Obi-Wan stays behind to stall him. At the conclusion of the fight, Starkiller does a Force-Hammertoss and hurls Obi-Wan into the Falcon's engines. Obi-Wan EXPLODES (Like, a literal FORCE GHOST-SPLOSION) and comes back as a Force Ghost to keep fighting.

And then you kill his ghost.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Crowetron posted:

And then you kill his ghost.

I don't get it. Is this really in TFU? Because that would seemingly go against the whole A New Hope thing where Obi Wan is alive until Vader slices him up....

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

It's a bonus non-canon level in the Ultimate Sith Edition.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Duckman2008 posted:

I don't get it. Is this really in TFU? Because that would seemingly go against the whole A New Hope thing where Obi Wan is alive until Vader slices him up....

It's part of the Tatooine DLC that continues after the ending where Starkiller kills Vader: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOdDdF9nbYE

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Yea its the Dark Side ending. Vader sends you off to track down luke, you kill Boba Fet, Kill Obi and Obis ghost and then totally beat the ever living poo poo out of luke as in grabbing the hilt of his light saber and smashing his face in and making him your sith apprentice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmMzq-xmPqw

Not Canon of course but still fun.

Edit. Fucker

Darth Freddy fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 10, 2010

Clemen
Jul 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Darth Freddy posted:

Yea its the Dark Side ending. Vader sends you off to track down luke, you kill Boba Fet, Kill Obi and Obis ghost and then totally beat the ever living poo poo out of luke as in grabbing the hilt of his light saber and smashing his face in and making him your sith apprentice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmMzq-xmPqw

Not Canon of course but still fun.

Edit. Fucker

Wow I have TFU and have never heard of this. Was this like a preorder bonus or something? I beat both light and dark sides.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Clemen posted:

Wow I have TFU and have never heard of this. Was this like a preorder bonus or something? I beat both light and dark sides.

It was a special "Sith Edition" released a bit after the game came out, right now the two extra missions are out on the X-box live market place.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I pretty much hated TFU because it was a lovely PC port and had the most frustrating boss battles. I refuse to believe that the final duel with Vader can be won with anything other than blind luck. Refuse.

Despite all this I did find the battle system enjoyable when I was allowed to just Force throw poo poo all over the place and not have to deal with any of the annoying melee mechanics. And the Tatooine and Hoth levels were 10x more enjoyable than the actual game. I was great playing Darth Vader on crack

Clemen
Jul 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

WhyteRyce posted:

I pretty much hated TFU because it was a lovely PC port and the most frustrating boss battles. I refuse to believe that the duel with Vader can be won with anything other than blind luck. Refuse.

Despite all this I did find the battle system enjoyable when I was allowed to just Force throw poo poo all over the place and not have to deal with any of the annoying melee mechanics. And the Tatooine and Hoth levels were 10x more enjoyable than the actual game. I was great playing Darth Vader on crack

I figured vadar out about the 5th time in. You gotta throw things at him. But yea hes basically impossible at high difficulty.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:

Bene Elim posted:

Imagine if the KotOR I ending had been DS, then KotOR II could have been tearing down game 1. Same with Dark Forces (the one where the DS leaves Emperor Katarn on the throne).

At the beginning of KotOR II there's a conversation where you basically tell the game how KotOR ended. That one guy (name escapes me) says something like "She whooped that rear end and rode off into the sunset a hero." Then you can agree or respond variations of the PC's alignment and gender like "I heard HE was A SITH" and he says "Whoops, my bad, thought a chick sounded cooler!"

The dark side ending of Jedi Knight was loving awesome. I was pretty disappointed with TFU's dark side ending. I haven't played the DLC, but it sounds awesome. They know the dark side stuff isn't canon so why not go crazy.

I don't see why they bothered making any of TFU canon, the nerds who give a poo poo about canon are pissed off by it and nobody else would care one way or the other. I can't see Starkiller ever showing up in any other works. Beyond "really strong, like you wouldn't even believe how strong he is" force user and chump pawn does he even have a character?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Clemen posted:

I figured vadar out about the 5th time in. You gotta throw things at him. But yea hes basically impossible at high difficulty.

I don't remember there being anything to throw at him in the Death Star throne room. All I remember was that there were only a couple of counters (getting around him when he's charging up to hit him, countering his saber attacks) and he recovered so drat quickly and the PC controls were so awkward and the camera angles so terrible that all I ended up doing was putting myself into a situation to get my rear end kicked.

The lovely, fixed camera angles coupled with the terrible PC controls really did make boss battles impossible to enjoy.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Sep 10, 2010

Clemen
Jul 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

WhyteRyce posted:

I don't remember there being anything to throw at him in the Death Star throne room. All I remember was that there were only a couple of counters (getting around him when he's charging up to hit him, countering his saber attacks) and he recovered so drat quickly and the PC controls were so awkward and the camera angles so terrible that all I ended up doing was putting myself into a situation to get my rear end kicked.

There are conduits on the walls if I remember right. (its been awhile)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that you fight and kill a ghost. That's probably topping the things I have a hard time believing they actually put in TFU.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

WampaLord posted:

I will never say a bad word about TFU; any game that lets me use the force to pinball a jawa around the room is okay by me.

ZeroPrimal
Feb 24, 2010

The slave becomes the master.
Yoda and Starkiller both appear on the 360 version of Soul Calibur 4. Yoda is a selectable fighter and Starkiller is a boss.:rolleyes:

TFU was goofy fun. Do I consider it canon? No, but I ignore almost everything in the EU, it's too loving stupid. Zahn and Stackpole are good, I haven't read any of the Allston books yet.

ZeroPrimal fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 10, 2010

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

George decided Star Wars wasn't enough like anime yet. :suicide:

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

If you can not enjoy picking up a Jawa by the head giving it a little shock then punting it across the room well you just have no soul and thus can not have fun what so ever.

Clemen
Jul 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Do they ever explain why humans are so numerous in the galaxy? Like a home world or did they colonize the galaxy long ago? Or are we just supposed to "go with it"? I wanna sperge bad about this.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Jervas Dudley posted:

At the beginning of KotOR II there's a conversation where you basically tell the game how KotOR ended. That one guy (name escapes me) says something like "She whooped that rear end and rode off into the sunset a hero." Then you can agree or respond variations of the PC's alignment and gender like "I heard HE was A SITH" and he says "Whoops, my bad, thought a chick sounded cooler!"
Atton Rand :swoon:
I have such a huge, girlish crush on him, it's so dumb.

Also, establishing that Revan was a Light Sider means that Carth Onasi shows up and tries to track you down, but picking a Dark-Side Revan means you get one of Darth Malak's old mooks looking for you instead. This makes precious little difference to the main narrative.

Clemen posted:

Do they ever explain why humans are so numerous in the galaxy? Like a home world or did they colonize the galaxy long ago? Or are we just supposed to "go with it"? I wanna sperge bad about this.

Humans are an ancient race whose homeworld and origins are lost to the mists of time. They're numerous because 1) they like to explore and settle in different places and 2) they gently caress like bunnies.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Clemen posted:

This has always bugged me, too. Aliens just really don't... matter. Especially in the original trilogy. Aside from Chewie, when is the last time we see any aliens in "A New Hope"? It's when they leave Tattooine, isn't it? At least "Empire Strikes Back" had Yoda as a sort of important character, but by the climax it's back to just being humans + Chewie with no lines. In "Return of the Jedi", after Jabba's scenes, we have Ewoks, Admiral Ackbar, and that gibbering guy who flew with Lando. It's still humans who do all the important stuff except for the Ewok's successful ground war. Why were they even included?

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

ZeeToo posted:

This has always bugged me, too. Aliens just really don't... matter. Especially in the original trilogy. Aside from Chewie, when is the last time we see any aliens in "A New Hope"? It's when they leave Tattooine, isn't it? At least "Empire Strikes Back" had Yoda as a sort of important character, but by the climax it's back to just being humans + Chewie with no lines. In "Return of the Jedi", after Jabba's scenes, we have Ewoks, Admiral Ackbar, and that gibbering guy who flew with Lando. It's still humans who do all the important stuff except for the Ewok's successful ground war. Why were they even included?

Well, from the film-making point of view, aliens were hard to include in the 70's. They were already pushing boundaries of model-building, computer graphics, and set design. I doubt their budget could handle making hundreds of alien costumes.

Yup, Hollywood sure is xenophobic.

e: This might also explain why Lucas keeps going back to screw with the special editions. He might have wanted all those aliens in the movie, but couldn't fit them into the budget. Thus, Star Wars: Dewback Edition.

zeekner fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 10, 2010

Fudgement Day
Mar 30, 2007
Keep On Walkin In The Free World
I checked back a few pages and didn't see this but someone made a Bohemian Rhapsody cover all about the prequels. It's pretty great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpvlTVgeivU

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Feasting on the flesh of a recently killed zombie probably wasn't the smartest of moves

Dick Trauma posted:

My first playthrough midway through the first level one of the rebels got stuck after I broke the window and it autosealed to cut off the vacuum. The top half was inside the ship, this caused his ragdoll to freak out rather well. Arms were out as if trying to grab something and moving around, along with the head and a bit of the torso.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Geekner posted:

Well, from the film-making point of view, aliens were hard to include in the 70's. They were already pushing boundaries of model-building, computer graphics, and set design. I doubt their budget could handle making hundreds of alien costumes.

Yup, Hollywood sure is xenophobic.

e: This might also explain why Lucas keeps going back to screw with the special editions. He might have wanted all those aliens in the movie, but couldn't fit them into the budget. Thus, Star Wars: Dewback Edition.

Why not just do what Star Trek did? Funny hair cuts and boney foreheads.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Why not just do what Star Trek did? Funny hair cuts and boney foreheads.

I actually like this version of Jabba better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

Fudgement Day posted:

I checked back a few pages and didn't see this but someone made a Bohemian Rhapsody cover all about the prequels. It's pretty great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpvlTVgeivU
This is without a doubt the best thing I have ever seen done with the Prequels.