Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Did any of the UVA people have Jody Krauss for Contracts? He's a visiting Prof at CLS now and I'm hoping to get some intel on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

MaximumBob posted:

I don't know if you keep up on the thread, but just in case: you honestly cannot trust Lykourgos.

And I know a number of people who've applied to the Cook County State's Attorney's Office, and a few who've gotten hired. There's no rhyme or reason at all to who got hired and who didn't: experience at that office, grades, experience in other prosecutors' offices, nothing seems to correlate with getting hired there based on this tiny sample. So keep that in mind - it's as much of a crapshoot as anything else.

And to be fair, I think I have to mention that you really can't trust Maximum Bob at all, either. I never spoke about who it is they actually hire, but I gave corrections to bighead's post that nobody can really disagree with.

As for the three people who have started in the office from this years hiring, two of them spent all their summers and part of their semesters working with the office. One of them did the same, but at the Indiana AG's office. I don't know about the others.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Lykourgos posted:

And to be fair, I think I have to mention that you really can't trust Maximum Bob at all, either. I never spoke about who it is they actually hire, but I gave corrections to bighead's post that nobody can really disagree with.

As for the three people who have started in the office from this years hiring, two of them spent all their summers and part of their semesters working with the office. One of them did the same, but at the Indiana AG's office. I don't know about the others.

You know a kid named Decklan? He was the dude I mentioned in my post re: Cook County, the only person from Loyola's class of '09 to be able to work there. He's good people.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mr Gentleman posted:

as in local counsel or what? I would like to be local counsel in E.D. Texas etc etc

gently caress NO YOU DON'T.

E.D. Texas has loving draconian rules for discovery involving multi-hour discovery conferencing and an incredibly detailed discovery plan. NO ONE wants to be in the E.D. Texas court.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Holland Oats posted:

Did any of the UVA people have Jody Krauss for Contracts? He's a visiting Prof at CLS now and I'm hoping to get some intel on him.

My classmates had him, although I was unfortunately stuck with Cohen instead. He's apparently a hardass and I believe he had a 4 hour final that year. The U.Va. Law standard is 3. He's pretty grueling, but I never heard anyone complain about him being a bad teacher.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

CaptainScraps posted:

E.D. Texas has loving draconian rules for discovery involving multi-hour discovery conferencing and an incredibly detailed discovery plan. NO ONE wants to be in the E.D. Texas court.
Upside: No requests for production (at least for patent cases).

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

CaptainScraps posted:

haha I was really thinking more along the lines of living off the fat of all those patent cases but I guess nothing comes that free

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
E.D. Texas owns don't hate

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ersatz posted:

Woot - I just found out that one of my friends has an interview tomorrow at the Patent Office. She has a bachelor's in electrical engineering and a JD, so hopefully it'll work out.

i don't even know why they bother interviewing

how you are as a person doesn't matter because there's hardly any human interaction, and the only guarantee that you could do this job is if you were good at it before and quit, because people who know patent law aren't necessarily good searchers, and people who know the technical subject matter won't necessarily be able to wrap their head around patent law.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm getting dinner invitations out of my OCI applications. This is a good thing right

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

hypocrite lecteur posted:

I'm getting dinner invitations out of my OCI applications. This is a good thing right

no; associates these days try to get a leg up by hosting live games of cluedo for the partners. It's kind of like when gentlemen would ride elephants in India and shoot the odd tiger. Have fun.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Bid on a company for 3L OCI called "Wilshire Financial Group", I had done a quick google at the time and found out they were an insurance company that also did estate planning & some securities stuff. I stupidly figured the job would involve work for them AS A LAWYER.

Now that I've accepted the interview, I happened to notice that it was for the position of "Financial Representative"

Everything I can find seems to indicate that this is in fact a 100% commission insurance sales job.

gently caress.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lykourgos posted:

no; associates these days try to get a leg up by hosting live games of cluedo for the partners. It's kind of like when gentlemen would ride elephants in India and shoot the odd tiger. Have fun.

I'm gonna show them why humans are truly the most dangerous quarry. By the end of it they'll wish they'd offered me sole domain of the document review pit.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Have you ever wanted a lawyer to clean your toilet?

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local...re_attorne.html

quote:

After spending a year looking for a job, an out-of-work lawyer dusted off her resume and added a new profession: housekeeper.

Last week, Alice Lingo posted 30 flyers on the upper West Side that say she'll tidy up apartments for a price and asks, "Haven't you always wanted to see a lawyer clean a toilet?"

"I made the joke that I always wanted a job that makes people smile," Lingo, 29, told the Daily News. "This job does. They come home and see their home clean."

Just over a year ago, Lingo says she was earning $160,000 a year as a litigator at a white-shoe law firm when she was laid off because of the economic downturn.

She has been on unemployment ever since, despite sending out 308 resume and cover letters, she says.

"From the moment I stopped working till now, I haven't stopped looking for a job," said Lingo, who graduated Fordham University School of Law in 2007.

The legal eagle has applied for lawyer positions - even paralegal openings - without success.

She admits she has been a little picky, hoping to avoid work at corporate firms, but noted she hasn't had any luck outside the legal world either.

She tried for a teaching fellowship, a ticket-taker job in Times Square, an usher position at the Beacon Theater and 15 waitress openings.

Last week she interviewed for her 30th baby-sitter gig, but the competition for even part-time jobs has been steep, with employers having the luxury of being choosy.

"I was No. 3 of 15 people they were interviewing for a four-hour-a-week baby-sitting job," she said. "I don't think I'll make it to the second round. [The mother] made it clear that her children have refined palettes, and I have to know how to cook mussels."

Lingo decided two weeks ago to try her hand at housekeeping because she needs money to pay her student loans while she continues to apply for legal jobs.

She thought mentioning her lawyer background in the ads would be a plus.

"I thought it was catchy, and people would think, 'This is someone like me. I'll give her a job,'" Lingo said.

So far, she hasn't had any takers, but plans to charge $70 to clean a standard one-bedroom.

She's confident she'll soon accrue customers and pitches her strong work ethic as passionately as a defense attorney making a closing argument.

"I'm willing to work hard. It's engraved in me from Ohio," the Cincinnati native said.

The enterprising lawyer said future customers should expect a sparkling home, but no free legal advice.

"Unless I'm cleaning a corporate office, I don't think I could answer any questions," she said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local...l#ixzz0z9PTq5IT

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER
It Wasn't Supposed to Happen at Fordham...

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Stunt Rock posted:

Shitlaw kind of owns.

For real.

I just took a new case from a cold call. Lady called me, and said she got food poisoning from chinese restaurant's shellfish dish. Barfing, swelling, overnight in the hospital. She had had the same dish from the same restaurant in the past, so it is not an allergic reaction. She told me that she was at work when the incident took place, and she called her daughter to come and drive her to the hospital. But the reaction hit so hard she had to have a co-worker drive her. Where does she work? The local adult caberet.

Let's see - puking stripper with a daughter old enough to drive?

I'LL TAKE THE CASE

It got even funnier when I sent one of our clerks to the restaurant to try to see who owned it. The local health department requires a certificate to be displayed with the owner's name on it. The restaurant workers caught the clerk trying to write down the name and covered the certificate with a tray, while yelling about the police and throwing my clerk out.

I know I am going to lose money on the case, but sure will be fun.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

TyChan posted:

I read that.

The Church of Scientology must be a wonderful client. They constantly sue people, have limitless coffers, and probably are open to dropping a case once they've harassed someone enough, especially since they tend to go after low-lying fruit.

Ironically, CoS via Latham and Watkins sent one such letter to Wikipedia, over the reports on the page that they were representing CoS.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

atlas of bugs posted:

It Wasn't Supposed to Happen at Fordham...

It didn't! She got a BIGLAW job, *then* got laid off!

...welp

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Yeah, it's good stuff. I got three dinner invites, of those I got two callbacks. The third is still a mystery, but its getting late in the game for that particular firm to be handing out CBs so I've stopped thinking it's going to happen. So it doesn't automatically equate to future ballyhoo with the firm but take it as a positive.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

sigmachiev posted:

Yeah, it's good stuff. I got three dinner invites, of those I got two callbacks. The third is still a mystery, but its getting late in the game for that particular firm to be handing out CBs so I've stopped thinking it's going to happen. So it doesn't automatically equate to future ballyhoo with the firm but take it as a positive.

Have firms changed tactics? When I was in law school, hosted dinners were large affairs where students were all invited to come by. I guess it gave mingling opportunities, but the consensus was that they were fairly useless and only helped if you really were on the borderline between callback and rejection for the firm who was hosting.

SWATJester posted:

Ironically, CoS via Latham and Watkins sent one such letter to Wikipedia, over the reports on the page that they were representing CoS.

I hear a big angle for the CoS is that any site talking about CoS religious documents is either engaging in copyright infringement or facilitating it. I wonder if that is the tactic they used to approach Wikipedia.

I wonder if any L&W partners are Scientologists. Those salaries would give you a lot of money to spend on climbing the OT level ladder.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 10, 2010

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Adar posted:

Have you ever wanted a lawyer to clean your toilet?

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local...re_attorne.html

Here's what I don't get, if she's going to start a business why not start a law firm? Mind you I know it's not easy and yadda yadda but cleaning poo poo?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Roger_Mudd posted:

Here's what I don't get, if she's going to start a business why not start a law firm? Mind you I know it's not easy and yadda yadda but cleaning poo poo?

She'll probably make more money cleaning poo poo. The solo market in NYC is DOA right now.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Can LLBs be used to get into undergrad academia?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

TyChan posted:

Have firms changed tactics? When I was in law school, hosted dinners were large affairs where students were all invited to come by. I guess it gave mingling opportunities, but the consensus was that they were fairly useless and only helped if you really were on the borderline between callback and rejection for the firm who was hosting.

This is just my own experience I speak with, but all the dinners I went to were invite only, and invites were extended only after your OCI session. For example, for one of the firms, only one other person who interviewed for the same office as I got an invite. 40 students interviewed for that particular office (other students who interviewed for other offices were there too; I think in total there were around 12 students for four offices, out of 100-120 total who interviewed). The same process was used for the other two firms, with varying amounts of students invited to the dinner.

These have all been for national firms, but they have strong offices in the Bay and SoCal, so it could very well be different for firms where the power center lies somewhere else.

in absentia
Mar 20, 2006
Our Dean is resigning effective the end of this school year, and I am considering applying for the job under the theory that our school will do anything to be able to count students as employed 6 months after graduation. Law school dean can't be too hard, can it?

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

in absentia posted:

Our Dean is resigning effective the end of this school year, and I am considering applying for the job under the theory that our school will do anything to be able to count students as employed 6 months after graduation. Law school dean can't be too hard, can it?

Not sure, but apparently it is a valid path to becoming a supreme court justice

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

in absentia posted:

Heh, you must be a UW student. I am so glad he is leaving. Despite the hagiography in the paper, he was terrible for the school. Although now I have to think of a new reason to tell the UW Foundation for why I won't donate. For the past four years I told them "I won't donate until the Dean is gone."

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

Wyatt posted:

Heh, you must be a UW student. I am so glad he is leaving. Despite the hagiography in the paper, he was terrible for the school. Although now I have to think of a new reason to tell the UW Foundation for why I won't donate. For the past four years I told them "I won't donate until the Dean is gone."

My ugrad tries that donation nonsense, and I believe the correct answer is always boisterous laughter until they hang up the phone.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Northeastern has been polite enough to realize that I'm broke (well, the alumni relations department, not the student loan department) and I don't think my undergrad knows where I live, all that mail still goes to my mom's house.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
"I donated $120,000 already and it's going to cost me $300,000, thank you come again"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I did get an invitation to a $75 class reunion dinner though. Sadly that money is earmarked for 2 weeks worth of food

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lykourgos posted:

Not sure, but apparently it is a valid path to becoming a supreme court justice

Back during one of Bush's court vacancies, I wrote him asking to be a recess appointment to the court, stating that a) court was on recess too so it wasn't like I could do any harm, b) he wouldn't have to renominate me when Senate came back in session but c) it'd look great on my resume.

edit: Now I'm Chief Justice Roberts

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TyChan posted:

I don't know. I tentatively had something lined up with a hometown firm for the summer, so I put in a couple OCI applications at bigger firms I would like to work at as just kind of a thing to do, if nothing comes of it whatever. They called me back two or three days after my apps were in, asking if I wanted to do dinner the night before OCIs, after a large mixer for all the OCI employers. I think the mixer is the meet and greet, and then you split off with interested firms afterwards, and then do OCIs the next day. I'm cautiously optimistic about it, considering I wasn't even really expecting responses

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

I don't know. I tentatively had something lined up with a hometown firm for the summer, so I put in a couple OCI applications at bigger firms I would like to work at as just kind of a thing to do, if nothing comes of it whatever. They called me back two or three days after my apps were in, asking if I wanted to do dinner the night before OCIs, after a large mixer for all the OCI employers. I think the mixer is the meet and greet, and then you split off with interested firms afterwards, and then do OCIs the next day. I'm cautiously optimistic about it, considering I wasn't even really expecting responses

Yeah this sounds very different than how it works here, still though it's cool you heard back so enjoy dinner and be cool.

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.
My favorite reply to the UC donations callers is that my graduation year had to file a class action lawsuit over their breach of contract on fees, and the school were super bitchy about it and fought it all the way to the California Supreme Court, and now they want more money? :fuckoff:

Also, alcohol chat: got a bottle of Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel Sour Mash Kentucky Bourbon from a client.

Will report back on its ability to replace Jack Daniels in my desk drawer/getting shitfaced plans for tonight.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

TyChan posted:

I hear a big angle for the CoS is that any site talking about CoS religious documents is either engaging in copyright infringement or facilitating it. I wonder if that is the tactic they used to approach Wikipedia.

I couldn't disclose either way.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
This is why you should go to law school, so you can have a dinner like this

beverage

digestif

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Are those mass-produced corn tortillas I see there? drat those motherfuckers look like a week old. You poor bastard.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Save me jeebus posted:

Are those mass-produced corn tortillas I see there? drat those motherfuckers look like a week old. You poor bastard.

Oh hay Mission Tortillas, how are you. Dry and tasteless as always?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

This is why you should go to law school, so you can have a dinner like this
Per the megathread mantra, where's the picture of your company: the perpetually empty chair sitting across from you?