Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SynVisions
Jun 29, 2003

It requires some effort to setup - but I tunnel SMB over OpenVPN. Just setup the OpenVPN client as a service on your windows box, and map the samba shares as network drives. Then whenever your computer boots up you have the files mounted and are good to go. You can then do your notepad++/photoshop/whatever. I dunno about photoshop though, you might run into latency issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Anyone on gnome know how this nautilus network sharing works under the hood? I shared a folder using right-click -> Properties -> "Share" tab, then later moved the folder to a different location. I think the old share config is still there, and conflicting, because I can't share the folder now in it's new location. Where are the config files that control this stuff?

Edit:
Well, I screwed around with this problem all night and found that I could use smbclient to get a more useful error message. The error i was getting was: tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

So I found this thread where other people were having the same issue: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/tree-connect-failed-nt_status_bad_network_name-50591/#post3189392

The proposed solution is to set global read permissions on the shared directory and all of it's parent directories.
This seems like a terrible solution to me, meaning that in order to share a single subdirectory under your home(/home/peeps/storage/Videos in my case), you would have to give read permissions of your home(/home/peeps) to everyone on the system?

Anyone have a better idea than that? This seems like a bug in Samba, why should it require permissions on every parent directory?

P.S. I found that the nautilus sharing config stuff goes in: /var/lib/samba/usershares/[sharename]

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 8, 2010

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

rugbert posted:

Whats the best way to access my file remotely from a windows machine? I used ubuntu server 10.4 as a web server and want to work with files on the server from anywhere.

Samba is probably your fastest bet that doesn't require any extra software on the Windows side.

• Operates over 4 ports, two tcp and two udp
  • smb.conf may or may not allow anything but the local network by default
  • Don't ever allow any kind of guest access (should be obvious in the config)

SSHFS (and similar tools) are really cpu-heavy on both sides but it works surprisingly well.

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

Okay, I have a weird problem that I think I can solve with iptables but I'm not sure specifically how. I have a legacy application that connects to a hardcoded IP for a JDBC connection. However, the IP has changed on the service provider from say 1.1.1.1 to 2.2.2.2. I want to setup iptables to map all outbound traffic on the application box destined to 1.1.1.1 to 2.2.2.2 but can't get it quite to work.

Additionally both hosts are on the other side of a VPN, and I could probably also solve it on the ASAs where the VPN is setup but I'd rather do this, um, patch, right on the Linux box.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

rugbert posted:

Whats the best way to access my file remotely from a windows machine? I used ubuntu server 10.4 as a web server and want to work with files on the server from anywhere.

Mercurial.

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

lilbean posted:

Okay, I have a weird problem that I think I can solve with iptables but I'm not sure specifically how. I have a legacy application that connects to a hardcoded IP for a JDBC connection. However, the IP has changed on the service provider from say 1.1.1.1 to 2.2.2.2. I want to setup iptables to map all outbound traffic on the application box destined to 1.1.1.1 to 2.2.2.2 but can't get it quite to work.

Additionally both hosts are on the other side of a VPN, and I could probably also solve it on the ASAs where the VPN is setup but I'd rather do this, um, patch, right on the Linux box.
Self-quoting, figured this poo poo out:
code:
iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT -d 1.1.1.1 -j DNAT --to 2.2.2.2
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -j MASQUERADE

jwitko
Oct 22, 2008

IF YOU THREATEN MY GIRLFRIEND WITH DEATH I WILL MAKE A GBS THREAD ABOUT IT. BECAUSE THAT IS THE PROPER PROCEDURE WHEN SOMEONE YOU LOVE IS IN POTENTIAL DANGER. BUT SERIOUSLY THE KID IS BLACK, MY WOMAN IS AS GOOD AS DEAD.
Posted my own thread but thinking i should have just posted in here:

Relevant specs:
Linux 2.6.9-42.0.10.ELsmp #1 SMP i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
CentOS release 5.2 (Final)
Using pam_tally2 & LDAP

I have one box on the network that decides to sometimes accept and sometimes reject legitimate accounts. For the life of me I can not figure out what is wrong here so I am turning to my goon friends.

The errors that occur on failed login attempts from /var/log/secure:

Sep 8 21:12:02 dev3 sshd[6568]: debug1: PAM: password authentication failed for an illegal user: User not known to the underlying authentication module

The symptoms: Users go to log into machine dev3, it asks them for password and after they enter the correct password it will tell them "incorrect password." until their max attempts are reached. The user will wait a minute and ssh again and the system will let them in no problem.

The system shares identical configs and setup as all the other machines on the network which have no problems whatsoever. I'm happy to provide any more information you guys would find valuable but I can assure you pam.d/*, ldap.conf, etc are all identical to working machines on the same network.

This issue has been happening for a while and it does not seem to discriminate between users. It happens to a variety of people at what seem to be random intervals.

Any ideas?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Also having a PAM issue but it's with Debian Lenny.

Can't change user passwords (or add passwords for existing users)

code:
passwd thenewuser
passwd: Permission denied
passwd: password unchanged
Relevant /var/log/auth.log

code:
Sep  9 01:49:51 joi passwd[3060]: PAM pam_parse: expecting return value; [...requisite**]
Sep  9 01:49:51 joi passwd[3060]: PAM pam_parse: expecting return value; [...requisite**]
Sep  9 01:49:51 joi passwd[3060]: pam_smbpass(passwd:chauthtok): Failed to find entry for user thenewuser.
I've had Samba halfassedly integrated in for a while now, that still, might've broken it - adding the samba user manually results in the same output without the smbpass line.

Output of 'lsattr /etc/passwd /etc/shadow'

code:
------------------- /etc/passwd
------------------- /etc/shadow
I'm digging through Linux authentication since it's apparently a sort of generic error and google isn't helpful.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Our Linux machines authenticate against Kerberos. But I can't create local users without manually editing passwd, group, and shadow. If I use 'adduser' or 'passwd -r FILES' it just wants a kerberos principal.

Skulla
Mar 25, 2005
Dab it on, dab it off.
I have a whole bunch of files on my Ubuntu box where I need to increase each individual hex value from a file by one.

For instance the file is now

code:
D8 9F D6 10 FF
and I need to get it to

code:
D9 A0 D7 11 00
I'm still a newbie when it comes to Linux and have been messing around with various commands but nothing seems to do it correctly. I think the transition from FF to 00 might be the hardest thing to implement. Any help gratefully received.

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Skulla posted:

I have a whole bunch of files on my Ubuntu box where I need to increase each individual hex value from a file by one.

For instance the file is now

code:
D8 9F D6 10 FF
and I need to get it to

code:
D9 A0 D7 11 00
I'm still a newbie when it comes to Linux and have been messing around with various commands but nothing seems to do it correctly. I think the transition from FF to 00 might be the hardest thing to implement. Any help gratefully received.

Off the top of my head, perl -pne '$_ = join( "", map { chr( (ord( $_ ) + 1) % 256 ) } split( "", $_ ) )' which just says "split the string into characters, convert each character to an integer, add one mod 256, convert back to characters, mash the characters back into a string". There are certainly more compact and effecient ways to go about it, but that'll do for a one-off.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Okay I found out the hard way this week that I'm super rusty at Linux after not using it for like 5 years, however that's not entirely my problem, I believe..

We got an 802.11n WAP at work on loan, with a really good line on a deal for them, so my boss asked me to do some signal testing and map out where we should place these around the buildings.

Then I realized that NetStumbler and all of the wardriving and site surveying type software I knew on Windows was incompatible with 802.11n so far. After a day or three of digging around, finding $2500-$5000 solutions, etc, the best I could come up with was that a few places indicated that a BackTrack Live CD or maybe VM would likely be able to work with 802.11n cards, and that I could use Kismet to do some signal strength testing.

However Kismet doesn't seem to be compatible with 802.11n, either, or maybe I've just got an outdated version? The BackTrack distro I got was only a couple/few months old so that doesn't seem extraordinarily likely, but I'm kind of hitting a wall right now.

Anybody in here have any recommends on what I should try or be looking for? I really only care about being able to get this signal testing done since the equipment is on loan, and I've pretty much run out of ideas for the time being.

Skulla
Mar 25, 2005
Dab it on, dab it off.

ShoulderDaemon posted:

Off the top of my head, perl -pne '$_ = join( "", map { chr( (ord( $_ ) + 1) % 256 ) } split( "", $_ ) )' which just says "split the string into characters, convert each character to an integer, add one mod 256, convert back to characters, mash the characters back into a string". There are certainly more compact and effecient ways to go about it, but that'll do for a one-off.

You sir are a genius and a gent. That will do (and has done) very nicely. Thank you.

gripebomb
Dec 13, 2006

I wanted to fight the world.

- Eddie Kingston
Is there anyway to connect to a FTP in terminal that is using FTPES to connect?

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
I just installed Ubuntu server 10.4 and was looking for alternatives to some of my usual apps.

I use jinzora to stream music, and its fine but if there anything cool/better Id like to try it.

I also have been trying to run rtorrent with a GUI for a while, but every time I try to get it working I run into dependency hell. Anyone have a kick rear end guide to help me out? I generally get too annoyed and install torrentflux

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

rugbert posted:

I also have been trying to run rtorrent with a GUI for a while, but every time I try to get it working I run into dependency hell. Anyone have a kick rear end guide to help me out? I generally get too annoyed and install torrentflux

I just finished migrating rtorrent+rtgui to a new box so I had to go through the setup again. rtgui is a nice & simple web frontend for it rtorrent.

I followed this guide for installing rtorrent, worked great on fedora core 8:
http://code.google.com/p/ntorrent/wiki/QuickStart

Looks like there is an ubuntu specific setup guide on the rtgui page:
http://code.google.com/p/rtgui/wiki/ubuntu_rtgui

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Syslog is dumb.

Apparently ldap logs to local4, so I setup a log level in slapd.conf, and edit syslog.conf to log local4.* to /var/log/slapd.log. Restart everything, and the log file is empty. Wut?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

FISHMANPET posted:

Syslog is dumb.

Apparently ldap logs to local4, so I setup a log level in slapd.conf, and edit syslog.conf to log local4.* to /var/log/slapd.log. Restart everything, and the log file is empty. Wut?
logger -p local4.notice "I am testing that my syslog works."

You did restart your syslogd in addition to OpenLDAP, right?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Misogynist posted:

logger -p local4.notice "I am testing that my syslog works."

You did restart your syslogd in addition to OpenLDAP, right?

Yep, restarted both. It looks like syslog is the problem, because that test didn't output anything.
code:
local4.*                                        /var/log/slapd.log

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I've set out to build myself an Ubuntu server for hosting Mumble, Minecraft, and an SSH tunnel for me to remote desktop to my machine. Those three things I now have working decently well, and am trying to set up an FTP server to facilitate easy management of the Minecraft server as well as a good place for me to back up my thesis data.

I followed the Ubuntu server FTP guide but am having issues actually connecting to the thing. I've got a connection log from FileZilla here: http://pastebin.com/kwrmqKcY

It seems that it can connect but I cannot get the directory listing. I'm not sure what the problem is. I set a passive port range and forwarded those to the server, but I can't seem to actively (or passively) connect. I purged vsftpd so I could try again with a fresh config, we'll see how it goes. Any advice would be appreciated.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 10, 2010

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

JerikTelorian posted:

I've set out to build myself an Ubuntu server for hosting Mumble, Minecraft, and an SSH tunnel for me to remote desktop to my machine. Those three things I now have working decently well, and am trying to set up an FTP server to facilitate easy management of the Minecraft server as well as a good place for me to back up my thesis data.

I followed the Ubuntu server FTP guide but am having issues actually connecting to the thing. I've got a connection log from FileZilla here: http://pastebin.com/kwrmqKcY

It seems that it can connect but I cannot get the directory listing. I'm not sure what the problem is. I set a passive port range and forwarded those to the server, but I can't seem to actively (or passively) connect. I purged vsftpd so I could try again with a fresh config, we'll see how it goes. Any advice would be appreciated.

Did FTP and use SFTP or SCP, both of which are already provided by your SSH daemon.

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud

FISHMANPET posted:

Yep, restarted both. It looks like syslog is the problem, because that test didn't output anything.
code:
local4.*                                        /var/log/slapd.log
What syslog daemon? It could be buffering...

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Alowishus posted:

What syslog daemon? It could be buffering...

This is actually on a Solaris 10 machine. I just checked, still nothing in the log file...

Puck42
Oct 7, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

This is actually on a Solaris 10 machine. I just checked, still nothing in the log file...

What are the file permissions on the log file? Is syslog running under root or a syslog user?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Did FTP and use SFTP or SCP, both of which are already provided by your SSH daemon.

This worked great, thanks. One thing though: I had to create a new user for FTP since my admin account uses a password protected RSA key. Filezilla won't let you use passworded RSA keys, so I need one that is not secured.

How do I secure the new user account to give it a bare minimum of capabilities (just enough to read and write FTP, but no ability to execute or change things not explicitly owned to it)? Is this something I'd need to do or is Linux inherently secure enough to limit this risk? I tried disabling the shell for the ftp account, but then it simply fails to connect entirely.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 10, 2010

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

The spaces should be tabs between the level and the filename. That screwed me up once, it's worth a check.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

JerikTelorian posted:

This worked great, thanks. One thing though: I had to create a new user for FTP since my admin account uses a password protected RSA key. Filezilla won't let you use passworded RSA keys, so I need one that is not secured.

How do I secure the new user account to give it a bare minimum of capabilities (just enough to read and write FTP, but no ability to execute or change things not explicitly owned to it)? Is this something I'd need to do or is Linux inherently secure enough to limit this risk? I tried disabling the shell for the ftp account, but then it simply fails to connect entirely.

When I said "Did FTP" I meant "Ditch FTP." Meaning don't use FTP at all.

For SCP and I believe SFTP also requires the user to have a valid shell. THe account that makes the connection will, by definition, need to be able to login and execute commands and whatever.

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

I see what you did there....
Grimey Drawer
So my setup currently looks like this:

code:

[debian]______________[netgear wtg624]________________[internet]
[windows7]______________|     |
                              |
[windows7 (wireless netbook)]_|

Is there any tool that I can run on my debian-system to monitor the router and the traffic that goes through it? The log that the router itself produces only lists attempted connections but no real network data. If there isn't I'll be happy with just something that monitors what goes in and out if the debian-system.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Messing around with grub2 in Ubuntu Lucid x64. I dual-boot with Windows 7. Basically every time I reboot is to switch OSes, so what I want is to have grub2 automatically alternate the default choice each time I boot.

I got the basics about how to edit the grub2 files -- "GRUB_DEFAULT=saved" in /etc/default/grub, setting up menu entries in /etc/grub.d/40_custom, running the "update-grub" command to build the new menu -- but I can't figure out what commands I need to put in the menu entries to so it saves the default choice as the other OS. Is it something to do with "save_env"? The documentation I can find kinda blows.

As a bonus, could I implement this in such a way that I don't have make all my menu entries in /etc/grub.d/40_custom, and thus retain this functionality while still having Ubuntu add new kernels to top of the grub menu when it downloads an update? I was thinking I could by having the default setting alternate between "0", for the entry at the top of the menu which should always be the most recent kernel, and since you can use the text of the menu entry as a default setting, "Windows 7 (on /dev/whatever)" which should always refer to that no matter where it is in the list. But I still can't figure out how to make that happen.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

When I said "Did FTP" I meant "Ditch FTP." Meaning don't use FTP at all.

For SCP and I believe SFTP also requires the user to have a valid shell. THe account that makes the connection will, by definition, need to be able to login and execute commands and whatever.

The problem I was having with SFTP is that I restrict SSH to accept Public-Key only. My public keys are password protected, but FileZilla cannot yet use passworded keys. This had the server rejecting my connections. The problem is that I needed to have an account to use for SFTP that didn't have any permissions so if the public key got out, it was no big. I found a way around this by making a low-permissions user just for SFTP, and then assigning them FTP as the default shell. SFTP works fine, and the user has no real shell.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Obviously they'll need to log in, but no, they won't need to execute commands. There's lots of options like scponly.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

A crossposted question from the IRC Best Practice thread, but it's driving me nuts - I assume there has to be something plugin / script wise that does what I want, but I'm drawing a blank;

Kind of a random shot in the dark question.

I'm using irssi and bitlbee, and am loving it - with the exception of no previous-conversation chat history when you open a new window with someone you've chatted with prior. It's a pretty common feature in GUI IM clients these days, but I can't seem to find a script that'll replicate the functionality for irssi.

It really would be hugely beneficial, especially in regards to bitlbee. Not to mention reading missed messages from unplanned restarts, without having to check the logs themselves.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
rtorrent keeps crashing on me and leaves me with the tail end of a poorly formatted stack trace. How can I log the full output when it crashes?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

fletcher posted:

rtorrent keeps crashing on me and leaves me with the tail end of a poorly formatted stack trace. How can I log the full output when it crashes?
Enable core dumps before running the program (man ulimit) and trace the core files through gdb.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I am attempting to dual install two varieties of Fedora. One is standard Fedora 13 while the other is a the Security spin.

I seemed to have hosed up installing the security distro after leaving free space and I can't get the first install to boot even after editing grub.

Is there a standard method to installing multiple distros I missed? Should I not have the n-th installs make their own GRUB or something?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Lukano posted:

A crossposted question from the IRC Best Practice thread, but it's driving me nuts - I assume there has to be something plugin / script wise that does what I want, but I'm drawing a blank;

Kind of a random shot in the dark question.

I'm using irssi and bitlbee, and am loving it - with the exception of no previous-conversation chat history when you open a new window with someone you've chatted with prior. It's a pretty common feature in GUI IM clients these days, but I can't seem to find a script that'll replicate the functionality for irssi.

It really would be hugely beneficial, especially in regards to bitlbee. Not to mention reading missed messages from unplanned restarts, without having to check the logs themselves.
/lastlog?

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

waffle iron posted:

/lastlog?

Well jeez, that's pretty much perfect (but for it not being automated, but I can deal).

edit - actually upon further review, it's not what I'm looking for. What I'd like is to be able to open a msg window with an irc or bitlbee contact, and have that window show/push/replay the last X lines of my log with them (even if from a prior session).

ZNC does this for channels, but not for msg windows (so that chat-history that I really wanted most for bitlbee and irc msgs).

Lukano fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 15, 2010

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Sylink posted:

I am attempting to dual install two varieties of Fedora. One is standard Fedora 13 while the other is a the Security spin.

I seemed to have hosed up installing the security distro after leaving free space and I can't get the first install to boot even after editing grub.

Is there a standard method to installing multiple distros I missed? Should I not have the n-th installs make their own GRUB or something?

I've only used GRUB once a long time ago, but from what I remember it was much the same as LILO in terms of handling, so with that caveat:

Under LILO, one could:

- use the install disk for installation 1, and (assuming installation 1 is already functional and okay for what you want)
- rerun LILO and (with only the partition for installation 1 checked)
- install LILO in the MBR (if the next install goes to live on a different drive; otherwise you could use the superblock on the common drive); then
- boot from the install disk for installation 2,
- install the new O/S to a free partition, and
- _skip_ the LILO config.

The next reboot from the hard drive would then go straight into installation 1. Then you

- run LILO again and
- add installation 2's partition to the number of bootable O/Ss on the system, and
- install that new LILO config (again: Superblock of common drive if possible, otherwise MBR).

You may have to run fdisk and look at your partitions to check whether your 2nd installation is flagged as bootable. LILO has 'wait n seconds before booting into the first O/S on the list' - which one is the first is your choice at LILO configuration time - and 'stop' features for choosing the O/S to boot, and I'm sure GRUB has too, being the more modern of the two.

Anyway, it's altogether possible to stack on installations that way. If you're somehow not getting it done with GRUB, try LILO. It's never failed me since I had Win95 living in harmony with Slackware 3.0 (1996, I think).

Underflow fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Sep 15, 2010

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
My rtorrent crash appears to be related to the version of curl I'm using. How do I go about upgrading to a newer version of curl to see if that fixes it? Do I need to remove the old version first? I'm on Fedora Core 8 with curl 7.18.2. I see there is a 7.21.1 here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puck42
Oct 7, 2005

fletcher posted:

My rtorrent crash appears to be related to the version of curl I'm using. How do I go about upgrading to a newer version of curl to see if that fixes it? Do I need to remove the old version first? I'm on Fedora Core 8 with curl 7.18.2. I see there is a 7.21.1 here.

Does it show up in the update list from yum?

yum update