Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jandaman
Jul 25, 2003
I have DSTwo's in stock, if you use the link at http://www.jandaman.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=JIVGA&AFFIL=sabanner you can get 10% off

www.jandaman.com Import Video Game Accessories

jandaman fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Sep 9, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

hungryyaweh posted:

So I got my DSTWO, and downloaded the software, but all I can run is the GBA emulator, the reader, and Moonshell, I can't seem to do anything with cheats or save files. Does it only work with GBA games? Is there a basic how to besides the one on the website?

What exactly are you trying to do with the cheats and save files?

jandaman posted:

I have DSTwo's in stock, if you use the link at http://www.jandaman.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=JIVGA&AFFIL=sabanner you can get 10% off
Hey, I didn't know you were still offering the discount for goons, added you back into the OP now.

hungryyaweh
Aug 21, 2002

Conspiring Cartographer

Keito posted:

What exactly are you trying to do with the cheats and save files?

Is it just finding and downloading cheats and saves? How do you add them to your current DS game?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

hungryyaweh posted:

Is it just finding and downloading cheats and saves? How do you add them to your current DS game?

There is this cheat database here, but it was last updated in December last year. I think they had a more recent WIP database that was taken down or something. As for saves, it should just be a matter of downloading the poo poo from somewhere and eventually converting the file format using this tool if they are incompatible with your cart.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Keito posted:

There is this cheat database here, but it was last updated in December last year. I think they had a more recent WIP database that was taken down or something. As for saves, it should just be a matter of downloading the poo poo from somewhere and eventually converting the file format using this tool if they are incompatible with your cart.

Yeah, the temp database got discontinued and taken down because scene drama*. The official database is officially 'not dead yet', which is kind of a bullshit claim when it's gone nine months without a single update.

Someone managed to get the final update (from August 7th) and put it up on some file sites, though. Too bad it won't bring back RSS. (This one seems to be the least hassle.)

*What a surprise.

MeatBomb
Jul 5, 2007
How's everyone liking their DSTWOs? I'm eyeballing one to replace my Cyclo/DS Phat for a DSTWO/DSi XL, though I should probably wait and see what happens with the 3DS.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004
Does anybody think the SNES emulator for the DSTWO will ever materialize? Emulating GBA is actually a LOT easier than SNES.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Capnbigboobies posted:

Does anybody think the SNES emulator for the DSTWO will ever materialize? Emulating GBA is actually a LOT easier than SNES.

Probably not. While I don't know what processor is in it, nor how the GBA performs on it, between the heat limits of the system and the fact that the DS display is shorter than the Super NES's render target it might not be worth it to go ahead.

Given that the minimum full-performance clock rate even with as many speed hacks as you can muster are somewhere in the 3~400 MHz range (see PSP and x86, the latter of which is far more well known, if not more so than any other architecture then right around there, but never really got through that floor even though), I honestly wonder - and somewhat doubt - if it can be done.

And yeah, the GBA never had more than 2 or 3 chips working at once, so execution shortcuts never got popular. The Super NES could have anywhere from 3 to 8. And they all had to be in lockstep timing. Full speed cycle-accurate Super NES emulation has only been possible in the last year or two.

Edit: v v v Sweet merciful CRAP the timing. Still, if that's the assessment, then maybe they shouldn't have.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 11, 2010

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

Capnbigboobies posted:

Look what JUST came out.

I haven't tested it with many games, but it seems a tad laggy. Most games have a slight input and sound lag. Otherwise, it's pretty decent.

Oh and it won't emulate any games that require special chips, like SuperFX. So no Star Fox for you.

Mr. Swoon fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Sep 11, 2010

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Mr. Swoon posted:

Look what JUST came out.

I haven't tested it with many games, but it seems a tad laggy. Most games have a slight input and sound lag. Otherwise, it's pretty decent.

It's like they did their absolute best to take the worst example photos they could.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
My local independent games store sells the M3i Zero card, but it seems people here really like the DSTwo. How do they compare?

(Also I wonder if having a Mac confuses the firmware update for the M3i. Would I have to switch to my windows partition?)

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Neeksy posted:

My local independent games store sells the M3i Zero card, but it seems people here really like the DSTwo. How do they compare?

(Also I wonder if having a Mac confuses the firmware update for the M3i. Would I have to switch to my windows partition?)

As far as I know the M3 is pretty much the same as the R4, they're OK but firmware support is tapering off.

The DSTwo has some extra hardware that has neat features like GBA and SNES emulation although they aren't perfect at present. Also the DSTwo is obviously actively being supported since they are the only flash card that works after the 1.4.1 NDS firmware update so you can probably expect emulation support to increase in the future.

As for partitions every flash card I have used worked with an SD card formatted in FAT32 so if your OS can read that you should be fine.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

Mr. Swoon posted:

Look what JUST came out.

Oh and it won't emulate any games that require special chips, like SuperFX. So no Star Fox for you.

Ha it figures, I say something and it comes out. Well if the SNES emulation turns out decent, I will have to pick one up eventually. Until then my old rear end EZflash V still works great on my DS lite.

Yeah I sort of expected them to never support games that have the special chips. That means no Mario RPG folks!

clamiam
Mar 4, 2008

IF A ROBOT IS BUILT IN THE FORM OF HUMAN BEINGS IT IS HARAAM

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Given that the minimum full-performance clock rate even with as many speed hacks as you can muster are somewhere in the 3~400 MHz range (see PSP and x86, the latter of which is far more well known, if not more so than any other architecture then right around there, but never really got through that floor even though), I honestly wonder - and somewhat doubt - if it can be done.

And yeah, the GBA never had more than 2 or 3 chips working at once, so execution shortcuts never got popular. The Super NES could have anywhere from 3 to 8. And they all had to be in lockstep timing. Full speed cycle-accurate Super NES emulation has only been possible in the last year or two.

For everyone who isn't a computer scientist or who doesn't follow emulator development news, I will point out that there are different opinions about what the goal of emulation is. It looks like Sir Unimaginative here might lean more toward the school of thought that says "the goal of emulation is the accurate simulation of one (computer) system within another", where the word "accurate" refers to things like the clock speed of computer chips, the type of output used (e.g. the resolution and type of monitor used), etc. This is in contrast to the school of thought that says "I don't care if the bottom of the screen is cut off and the sound is a little funky, I just want to play Star Fox on my cell phone".

Personally, I think both these philosophies have merit; I'm not trying to start a debate here or anything. I just thought it would be good to point out that, while the DS (plus the DSTWO or whatever) probably can't achieve what Sir Unimaginative is talking about, that doesn't mean Super NES emulation is impossible.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Ok I have an R4... I know I got it cheap. Well It works fine with the original micro sd card I got with it. I just picked up an 8 gb micro sd and the new one just hangs on the loading screen. And before you ask I have a DS lite not a DSi. Are some sd cards just not compatible? Do I have any options here?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Haruharuharuko posted:

Ok I have an R4... I know I got it cheap. Well It works fine with the original micro sd card I got with it. I just picked up an 8 gb micro sd and the new one just hangs on the loading screen. And before you ask I have a DS lite not a DSi. Are some sd cards just not compatible? Do I have any options here?

The original R4's don't work with SDHC cards.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The original R4's don't work with SDHC cards.

Huh would you look at that my old sd card is sd not sdhc my bad. Time to head back to officemax. Thanks though.

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist
Jun 18, 2003

ANYONE WANT SOME BARBECUE?

Lipstick Apathy
I found this thread on the gbatemp cheat forums for updated code DBs. Looks pretty good but since updating to Cyclo firmware b4 all of my cheats have stopped working.

http://cheats.gbatemp.net/forum/index.php?topic=5053.0

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Probably not. While I don't know what processor is in it, nor how the GBA performs on it, between the heat limits of the system and the fact that the DS display is shorter than the Super NES's render target it might not be worth it to go ahead.

The CPU in the DSTwo is 400 mhz.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Magnificent Quiver posted:

The CPU in the DSTwo is 400 mhz.

You'll notice he says thats a minimum, and assumes you have a shitload of speed hacks.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

fishmech posted:

You'll notice he says thats a minimum, and assumes you have a shitload of speed hacks.

I noticed that he didn't know what the processor speed on it was, so I looked it up and posted it.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
My car was broken into on Saturday and my DS Lite was subsequently stolen. That means I gotta get all my stuff again. I'm just getting another DSL instead of a DSI because I want my GBA support, and it's just plain cheaper.

Is the Cyclo still the card of choice for the DSL, or has something changed in the interim?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Goodpart posted:

My car was broken into on Saturday and my DS Lite was subsequently stolen. That means I gotta get all my stuff again. I'm just getting another DSL instead of a DSI because I want my GBA support, and it's just plain cheaper.

Is the Cyclo still the card of choice for the DSL, or has something changed in the interim?

The Supercard DSTWO is probably the best card, but also the most expensive card. Also, it has GBA emulation support so you can play GBA games on your DSi or DSi XL.

Outside of that, the CycloDS is still probably next best.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The Supercard DSTWO is probably the best card, but also the most expensive card. Also, it has GBA emulation support so you can play GBA games on your DSi or DSi XL.

Fair enough. DSIXLs are going for like 300AU here whereas I got my Lite for 130. So even though an XL would be nice, I can't really justify paying over twice as much just to replace poo poo that was stolen from me.

I've never had an issue with the Cyclo but I was curious if something had superceded it.

akrob
Sep 5, 2009

by T. Finn

I was going to get a CycloDS, until I remembered these games were for the GBA:

Dragon warrior 3
Golden sun
Yu-gi-oh world championship
Megaman battle networks 1-5

Supercard DSTWO wins by a landslide.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
You know you can get an EzFlash and have full GBA compatibility, right? That's the setup I was running before.

Of course if you're running a DSi that's all moot.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Goodpart posted:

You know you can get an EzFlash and have full GBA compatibility, right?

Can you describe the full functionality and modus operandi of this, as well as give the full name? I looked at their site and it's engrish crap.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Mithaldu posted:

Can you describe the full functionality and modus operandi of this, as well as give the full name? I looked at their site and it's engrish crap.
The EzFlash V 3 in 1 (you asked for the full name) goes into the GBA slot and acts like a proxy cart; it loads the game into temporary storage and saves data onto the SD, before unloading on shutdown. Pretty sure the older models allowed you to load straight through the Cyclo menu but more commonly you need to use GBA Exploader which is just a launcher program. You might need to save it into the semi-permanent storage if it's too big (Mother 3's English translation for example). Either way I'm pretty sure it has 100% compatibility.

Oh, and it'll also give you a RAM expansion and rumble pack, if you're that way inclined. I love it because it means GBA games that would otherwise stick out of the DS don't do that anymore, and you don't need to carry the carts. I just keep (well, kept) mine in the DS all the time.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
^^ Oh you FUCKER.

Mithaldu posted:

You'll want an EZ-Flash 3-in-1 card and your CycloDS with the latest update. Just plug in your 3-in-1 and select the GBA ROM, and the Cyclo will load it into the PSRAM on the cart and start the game. That's all you need to know to get started.

The more complicated explanation is that the 3-in-1 is called what it is because it has three modes: a rumble pack for those games that support it, the PSRAM, and NOR memory. Rumble is self-explanitory, but both the PSRAM and NOR allow games to be stored on the cart. The PSRAM is only 128MB (I think) and is "volatile" (temporary) storage, but can be written to a hell of a lot faster than the NOR. The NOR is "non-volatile" memory, and will retain the ROM even after the power is turned off. It's also larger, designed to take the largest GBA games on it. This is all backed with a battery-powered SRAM save block, shared between PSRAM and NOR.

What that wall of text means is you can play ROMS on your 3-in-1 from your Cyclo just fine, but with a little time to load it on the cart when you start. If you write the ROM to the NOR memory, by holding L and R when you select the ROM, you can actually launch the GBA game like a normal GBA game from the DS Menu.
Honestly, unless you're turning your DS on and off often or the game is too big to fit on the PSRAM (Mother 3 comes to mind), just let the Cyclo handle things. If you do turn the DS off and on (such as playing when waiting for the bus or something), write once to the NOR and play normally.

People will :words: about the 3-in-1 and 3-in-1+, but the Cyclo supports the + model now, so it shouldn't be a problem.

See, this is why I don't write when I'm tired. I get wordy.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Haha, thanks to both of you, interesting stuff and more than an answer to my question. :)

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
So against all odds I had a DS lite drop out of a stacker machine. Is there a benefit in getting a 3-in-1 + CycloDS over just getting a DsTwo? I'd like to run GBA stuff, but just going straight for a DS2 looks to save me about forty bucks.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Destrado posted:

So against all odds I had a DS lite drop out of a stacker machine. Is there a benefit in getting a 3-in-1 + CycloDS over just getting a DsTwo? I'd like to run GBA stuff, but just going straight for a DS2 looks to save me about forty bucks.

DSTWO's emulation isn't perfect. I don't know exactly what the compatibility is but no emulation is perfect. The 3-in-1 isn't emulation but actually runs the games natively on the DS's hardware.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

DSTWO's emulation isn't perfect. I don't know exactly what the compatibility is but no emulation is perfect. The 3-in-1 isn't emulation but actually runs the games natively on the DS's hardware.

It's not perfect, but it's good enough that you should have little to no trouble with it, especially if you grab the game_config.txt file from their forums. There's also the added value of SNES emulation on the DSTWO.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Soo, my old DS Phat just died and I picked up a DSi XL because I can't be bothered to wait for the 3DS to come out, and I am totally new to homebrewing but this looks like the way to go.

I've spent the past hour doing some research and it seems like the DSTWO is really the way to go, since I desperately want to be able to play GBA games on my new XL and it doesn't look like there's any other way. This is the case, correct? If I had a DSL there would be other options since I'd have a SLOT-2, but I don't.

The one thing that bothers me about the DSTWO is that it looks a little gimmicky and unreliable, and I'm slightly wary about dropping $35-40 on something like this. Goons who have purchased it, is it a worthwhile buy? Do I need anything other than an SDHC card and the DSTWO package to get started? I don't believe I have a way to insert the SDHC card onto my powerbook, but I assume that something like that comes with the card or can be bought on the cheap at a best-buy, or something like that? Anything else I'd need?

edit: I'm sure these questions get asked all the time but it's surprisingly difficult to find reliable information about this, and I constantly feel like what I'm finding is either over my head (I'm not an idiot but I'm also not extremely tech-savvy) or feels like it's intended to scam people stupider than I am :(

kaworu fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 15, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

kaworu posted:

Soo, my old DS Phat just died and I picked up a DSi XL because I can't be bothered to wait for the 3DS to come out, and I am totally new to homebrewing but this looks like the way to go.

I've spent the past hour doing some research and it seems like the DSTWO is really the way to go, since I desperately want to be able to play GBA games on my new XL and it doesn't look like there's any other way. This is the case, correct? If I had a DSL there would be other options since I'd have a SLOT-2, but I don't.

The one thing that bothers me about the DSTWO is that it looks a little gimmicky and unreliable, and I'm slightly wary about dropping $35-40 on something like this. Goons who have purchased it, is it a worthwhile buy? Do I need anything other than an SDHC card and the DSTWO package to get started? I don't believe I have a way to insert the SDHC card onto my powerbook, but I assume that something like that comes with the card or can be bought on the cheap at a best-buy, or something like that? Anything else I'd need?

edit: I'm sure these questions get asked all the time but it's surprisingly difficult to find reliable information about this, and I constantly feel like what I'm finding is either over my head (I'm not an idiot but I'm also not extremely tech-savvy) or feels like it's intended to scam people stupider than I am :(

1) I've only had mine for a week, but it works flawlessly so far.
2) Make sure it's Micro SD, but yes.
3) It does come with a USB MicroSD reader

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

1) I've only had mine for a week, but it works flawlessly so far.
2) Make sure it's Micro SD, but yes.
3) It does come with a USB MicroSD reader

Ok, this sounds good! The DSTWO comes with the micro-reader, or your SDHC card did?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

kaworu posted:

Ok, this sounds good! The DSTWO comes with the micro-reader, or your SDHC card did?

DSTWO (and most DS flash cards) comes with a reader, but so do some micro SD cards. Most micro SD cards at the very least come with normal SD adapters as well.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I just wanted to say that I got my Supercard DSTWO today and it is unbelievably awesome, everything I hoped it would be. And it's honestly even cooler than that. I am just really, really happy with it, and I can't get over how goddamn great it is. I have this tiny little chip of plastic the size of my fingernail that stores a huge amount of information, and it fits into a slightly larger chip of plastic that fits right into my DS and allows me to do pretty much whatever I want with it :stare: It's just such a cool concept, and it's perfectly functional and works exactly as advertised.

The only thing that causes me some worry is the spring-loader mechanism wearing out, eventually. I've heard that can happen and I see why, so I'm just going to limit the amount of times I take my SD chip in and out of the supercard as much as humanly possible.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

kaworu posted:

I just wanted to say that I got my Supercard DSTWO today and it is unbelievably awesome, everything I hoped it would be. And it's honestly even cooler than that. I am just really, really happy with it, and I can't get over how goddamn great it is. I have this tiny little chip of plastic the size of my fingernail that stores a huge amount of information, and it fits into a slightly larger chip of plastic that fits right into my DS and allows me to do pretty much whatever I want with it :stare: It's just such a cool concept, and it's perfectly functional and works exactly as advertised.

The only thing that causes me some worry is the spring-loader mechanism wearing out, eventually. I've heard that can happen and I see why, so I'm just going to limit the amount of times I take my SD chip in and out of the supercard as much as humanly possible.

You can get programs to download files directly off your computer so you never have to take your card out, too. I don't know the exact program anymore but it's probably easy to find in a minute or two on google or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

PoisonedV posted:

You can get programs to download files directly off your computer so you never have to take your card out, too. I don't know the exact program anymore but it's probably easy to find in a minute or two on google or something.

That sounds great - it's honestly bothering me a bit, definitely gonna seek this out, I hate taking the SDHC card in and out. Sad thing is, I got a 2GB one at first thinking it would be enough data storage - turns out it's nowhere near enough, so I bought a 16GB one which I think ought to do me just fine. Also, the old brand I had - Toshiba - was really poo poo, and this new Sandisk one works better, faster loading time.

Also, for some reason, Micro SD cards are on sale at ridiculous rates in a lot of places. I payed $32 for my new Sandisk one on Amazon right here. It's currently at 70% off which seemed like way too good of a deal to pass up.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 21, 2010

• Locked thread