Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodpuke
Mar 7, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Hey, it's not Huachuca!

I went to Huachuca for the prophet course a few years back. They screwed up our orders at Goodfellow and kept us there like 2 weeks too long, and instead of fixing them they just said "durrrrr, go to huachuca!" And then the guys at Huachuca had to fix it. The prophet course was kinda fun, really laid back and we flipped a HMMWV. But yeah, Huachuca is in the middle of god drat nowhere. Strangely, there were 2 good sushi restaurants there(?). Where the hell did they get the fish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

bloodpuke posted:

...So at his OPI, the teacher asks him about his heritage. He says his dad is American, and his mom is asian, wanting to avoid the topic. The teacher pushes him for several minutes, and he finally admits that his mom was Japanese. So the teacher gets this blank look on her face, and the next thing she said, she started asking him about dokdo island (which is a big sore point between korea and japan, they both say it's theirs). He got a 2, and we all know he got shafted. He spoke as fluently as our MLI, actually better, and our MLI got a 2+ on his OPI...

I have heard a lot of complaints recently from 35P and 09L soldiers that the OPI testers' personal beliefs are producing biased test scores. I talked to CSM Bragg about this last week, and will continue to pursue it once I get back from TDY. This is complete bullshit. I have 09Ls that went from a 3 to a 1 (in their native language) on the OPI in a year's time, apparently due to tester bias.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

I just wanna say one thing...God Bless America
I was talking to my UDM today about anymore potential outside the wire/ILO deployments for us Air Force guys, and he said he's not seeing too many of them drop nowadays since JESTR and WIT were exclusive to Iraq but he brought up the Prophet mission. He asked if I had ever heard about it, and said "oh yeah...it's cool stuff!" He made it sound like it was something newer though. Maybe I'll go back on Monday and ask him more about it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Yeah I meant Crown and Anchor.

About bias in the Schools. I was in Russian Village and dear god was it weighted to any hot chicks. This was about 20 years ago though.

bloodpuke
Mar 7, 2010
I remember many jokes about the "korean emotional grading scale". Well, they were half-serious jokes. The teachers didn't like me a ton, since I goofed off a lot. I asked for extra homework once, and they totally changed their minds, and suddenly thought I was one of the best students in the class. They started being slightly less strict with the grading of my tests/quizzes, too. Go figure.

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline
Crown and Anchor owns

GetHardHero
Apr 16, 2007

I am gun down your faces
Whenever I knew I bombed a speaking test I would beg the teacher for speaking practice before class or during lunch and work with them for a few weeks and they would turn my grade in as a B. Arabic teachers would always just make a decision on what kind of student you are and then give you that grade for everything. I could turn in a paper that was complete crap and one that I spent forever on and they would always just get a B.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
I produce infinite faggotry

tengohemroidz posted:

Not to join in on this and turn it into an "oh woe is me" train, but I can attest to the fact that, at least in the Latin America schoolhouse, enlisted personnel will never come out of an OPI with more than a 2, in a basic course. Officers, however...There was an Army Major in my class who couldn't speak Spanish to save his drat life. He came out with a 2, while another Captain who was fluent in Italian got the same score. There was this smokin' hot OSI agent, who was a Captain, that got a 2+, and she was no better than the O who spoke Italian. No enlisted personnel got above a 1+.

My neighbors in San Antonio told me that was probably because in Mexico, and other countries in Latin America, military officers are viewed as untouchables, so these instructors probably see our officers the same way. Pretty lovely if you ask me. I don't know if that holds true for other languages, but just thought I would share it.

It was pretty funny to see the Major get a 1+/1+/2 though.

Every loving word of this is true.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
I was out in Cali last week for vacation, and visited Monterrey for a day.

I think I only saw one DLI 'sperglord, and he was looking oddly at the new babby otter in the M. Bay. Aquarium.

I'm still bitter about the fact that there's practically no way for me to get to DLI now that I'm reclassing to 46R. I don't want an intel job!!

QingLaiXiguaba
Apr 4, 2010
GOODFELLOW!!!

Trying to reignite this thread. To all who are at DLI...

Get to Goodfellow. It's worth it. Anyone in the Corps, it loving rules here. PT is a blast. Everyone else seems to be pretty well off too. Airmen from my class at DLI that I'm with now are all in 100 percent agreement that Texas is better than Cali.

Whatever you're thinking now, get to Goodfellow. It's worth it.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

QingLaiXiguaba posted:

GOODFELLOW!!!

Trying to reignite this thread. To all who are at DLI...

Get to Goodfellow. It's worth it. Anyone in the Corps, it loving rules here. PT is a blast. Everyone else seems to be pretty well off too. Airmen from my class at DLI that I'm with now are all in 100 percent agreement that Texas is better than Cali.

Whatever you're thinking now, get to Goodfellow. It's worth it.

Ahahaha you poor bastards in the Corps, I've never heard of anyone thinking Goodfellow was the place to be. Man, that's funny.

(not a dis on you, I just found it humorous. DUDE TINKER, IT'S AWESOME, SCREW EUROPE GO TO OKLAHOMA!)

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
They must be really cracking down on the Marines at DLI if loving Goodfellow's an improvement; I visited my girlfriend there once. ONCE.

Not even pussy could make me go back there.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
The mind, it boggles.

I saw a contract job come up with L3 as a MLI in Monterey. You would wear a uniform as a reservist, but get paid the fat contractor dollaz.

I'm thinking about taking it, just so I can spread MASSIVE disinformation about the fleet.

Kunia's great! We have mai tai breaks every hour on the beach!

Supportive chain of command!

Easy as pie to get orders anywhere in the world!

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
Man what's the point you know 99.9% of linguists never get on the boat.

QingLaiXiguaba
Apr 4, 2010

ElHuevoGrande posted:

The mind, it boggles.

I saw a contract job come up with L3 as a MLI in Monterey. You would wear a uniform as a reservist, but get paid the fat contractor dollaz.

I'm thinking about taking it, just so I can spread MASSIVE disinformation about the fleet.

Kunia's great! We have mai tai breaks every hour on the beach!

Supportive chain of command!

Easy as pie to get orders anywhere in the world!

We had an MLI who took that dig. It is exactly as awesome as it sounds. I don't think he was even in the Air Force's command, he was just a guy in ABUs that worked for DLI.

Any idea how K Bay compares to Kunia?

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .

QingLaiXiguaba posted:

We had an MLI who took that dig. It is exactly as awesome as it sounds. I don't think he was even in the Air Force's command, he was just a guy in ABUs that worked for DLI.

Any idea how K Bay compares to Kunia?

It's pretty, and has decent facilities. Good places to run. The surrounding area has some of the best places to live for BAH w/o dependants, IMO. When you say K Bay, do you mean you have orders to the air wing? Because the non-air linguists in the Marine Corps have their unit based in Kaneohe, but work in the tunnel with the rest of us. If you are in the air wing, then congratulations! You have sucessfully bypassed 70% of the bullshit associated with the tunnel.

The only complaint I have ever heard about K Bay is that there are fewer training opportunities.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Earlier you guys mentioned something about unpleasant exercises to help you handle numbers more rapidly in a foreign language. Can you elaborate on that?

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
I guess maybe you're talking about the number drills which is where they stick you in a dark room and play some ancient cassette of a woman from the country of your choice barfing out numbers at different paces and in different combinations - for example she may say the number 146 as "one-hundred and forty-six" or "one forty-six" or "one four six" or "fourteen six" and if you can't tell that those are all supposed to be one number haha you're a horrible dumbass!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

hammeredspace posted:

I guess maybe you're talking about the number drills which is where they stick you in a dark room and play some ancient cassette of a woman from the country of your choice barfing out numbers at different paces and in different combinations - for example she may say the number 146 as "one-hundred and forty-six" or "one forty-six" or "one four six" or "fourteen six" and if you can't tell that those are all supposed to be one number haha you're a horrible dumbass!

gently caress number drills!

I was a CI

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Question: Is it kosher for someone to be selling DLI modules on eBay?

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
I don't think that stuff's classified but at the same time it's all FOUO so... kind of a gray area, I'd think.

Frankly though without context or the curriculum that goes with those modules I think they'd be little more than activity books you'd pick up at the grocery store.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
Depending on the language, they may be out of use entirely. Chinese threw out modules in favor of units. Don't ask me what the difference is.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
eBay item 180554702242

Pashto Software Course 10 modules learn language

Pashto Headstart consists of ten modules, each including two Sound and Script and five Military Tasks. Sound and Script teaches the basics of the Pashto script. Each Military Task focuses on fifteen language drills based on a given topic or theme, such as greetings and introductions, or gathering intelligence. Headstart also features over 100 PDFs with writing drills that provide the user with the opportunity to practice writing the target script. Other features include a writing tool, a sound recorder, a glossary, and a cultural resources section. Pashto Headstart exposes users to 750 key terms and phrases, and provides them with important communication tools they need in preparation for deployment.

The screenshots of the program have headers that say "Pashto Headstart - Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center." I was tempted to pick it up for $12, but then I got all :tinfoil: about why such a thing would be on the open market.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
Some guy got done with the course and he's looking to pick up a bit of scratch. Of course, $12+shipping for a poo poo ton of books ain't a profit to me. Hell I would have paid someone twelve bucks to get rid of all my stupid poo poo.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

ElHuevoGrande posted:

Depending on the language, they may be out of use entirely. Chinese threw out modules in favor of units. Don't ask me what the difference is.

Instead of learning to say "What a lovely new record player you have!" or "My that new Black and White TV you have must have been expensive" You learn to say thing like computer.

It's less books and more modern mostly.

QingLaiXiguaba
Apr 4, 2010

ElHuevoGrande posted:

On the topic of the Chinese course...

I can't say it's a result of switching from modules to units, but the course went from being very mission specific to being a more well-rounded, academic course. To give that description an image, they didn't even used to teach the Chinese characters because radiomen would have virtually no use for such knowledge. The entire program was done in Pinyin.

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010
Indiana is my red rope! He'll be leaving in a couple of weeks. He's a normal guy, we even joke about his clothing habits.

Other oddballs I've seen: -

-I've seen that pudgy-ish navy guy walking around with his raccoon tail.
-We had a kid back when AF was in 622 a couple months ago, that seems like he shops exclusively at hot topic, cat ears, baggy, strappy pants, arm-sock thingies. For the AF combat dining-in(some morale building deal) he modified his uniform and put cat ears on his abu cover...
-The guy that was going on about his hand-painted Japanese room divider that he had to get because his roommate was so weird: "He's into girls and sports, I mean where does he think he is?"

Desperate Lover's institute is very fitting, we got people screwing in the dayroom of 627, people screwing while their roommate is still in the room, and even a gay couple that spends the night together(cross-service)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

PyroDwarf posted:

he modified his uniform and put cat ears on his abu cover...

Grounds for execution right there.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
How do they even do poo poo like that without getting hosed up for it :psypop:

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Soiled Meat
There was a guy that wore a fox tail and a hat with fox ears while I was at DLI. Some marines started giving him poo poo eventually ripping off his fox tail and breaking it in the process. When he went to the MTL's to complain they asked what the hell he was doing wearing that poo poo in the first place. I don't think anything ever happened to the marines and the guys stopped wearing his furry poo poo after that.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
I would've thought the first officer or even NCO to see him would've ripped the loving poo poo out of him for wearing it in the first place. Is it that rare to run into someone with actual rank around there, or do you guys just have really lax uniform regs?

gently caress, we had a (moderately) new fuckup get a good talking to because he hadn't laced his boots and bloused his pants properly, and our unit's really not that regi at all

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
DLI really isn't all that bad, if you can avoid the really crazy ones. I haven't run into many at all in my year and a half here, though there are at least two in my flight that give me the serious creeps.

If you can drive out from under the cloud cover, you're in one of the most beautiful areas in the country and the hiking and camping opportunities are ridiculous. SO many state parks, national parks, and wilderness areas. Plus with Santa Cruz, San Jose and San Francisco all within driving distance, you don't have to stick around here on the weekends. Don't have a car? Make friends with someone who does.

I've lost track of my point now. Oh, right. Yes, this place is packed with nerds, freaks, and just plain questionable individuals but it's also ridiculously easy to avoid most of them.

Actual Content:

-At least two separate occasions, the Marines got in a shitton of trouble because one of their guys was pissing in bottles and had a seabag and a wall locker full of them.
-Not spergy, but stupid and hilarious: This Airman decided he was going to pretend to be a Marine sergeant and was dropping Marines at the smokepit until one of them got a real sergeant out there, at which point said Airman got ripped several new ones.
-I can vouch for Indiana Jones being an awesome guy. I travelled with him from basic and have been in his sister class since the beginning. He is hilarious and bizarre and I adore him.
-The pair of Army twins who did everything together and dressed exactly alike at all times. Same accessories, everything. I never talked to them but I'd heard that the Army only counted them as one unit, so they had to have another person be their battle buddy during basic.

Like I said, I've managed to avoid the worst of it. I love reading these stories, though, and realizing that these people actually do exist here.

edit: ..and I'm done with this place! 3/3/2, bitches!

Pucklynn fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 10, 2010

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Soiled Meat
Should have clarified, sorry, furry dude wore that stuff in civvies not uniform. Also what Puckylnn says is true but I'm pretty sure that was brought up early in the thread anyway. Interesting you mention twins being there, there were 2 separate sets of twins their was I was stationed there too, 1 Army/Navy and 1 Air Force/Army

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline
I'm currently in Chinese. Help me succeed.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Dirk Digglet posted:

Get a copy of The Lady in the Painting. Also, show a yearning to learn and at least one of your teachers will be willing to work with you during lunch or after class.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
Man we had a pair o' twins in the Navy back when I was there in 2008. I guess that poo poo's just common, now.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .

Dirk Digglet posted:

What's your problem? I started teaching subproficient folks about 6 months ago, so maybe I can recommend level-appropriate resources.

bloodpuke
Mar 7, 2010
For me, the most blatant and obvious things I've noticed among the DLI graduates are 1. They all seem to be obsessed with world of warcraft, and 2. They're "Oh, I'm just sooo crazy, give me attention" morons. Last time I was here I didn't really see any furries, but there was this horrendously ugly marine cow that LARPed with some of her fag friends in the middle of PFC or hilltop track on the weekends. My second time here, I've been seeing more and more furries and fags in skinny emo pants, and love handles are abounding.

That reminds me of one thing: DLI is known for spawning lazy fatasses. So a few months ago they started serving donuts in the DFAC for breakfast. Seriously? I can't get more than 3 eggs for breakfast, but I can get a donut, hashbrowns, pancakes, toast, cereal, a bagel, an english muffin, oatmeal, and sugar-filled yogurt. Whoever's in charge of that poo poo needs to be shot.

Oh,and almost no one on DLI gives the greeting of the day to NCOs. Usually doesn't bother me and I could care less, but lately it's started to annoy me.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

Pucklynn posted:

-I can vouch for Indiana Jones being an awesome guy. I travelled with him from basic and have been in his sister class since the beginning. He is hilarious and bizarre and I adore him.
-The pair of Army twins who did everything together and dressed exactly alike at all times. Same accessories, everything. I never talked to them but I'd heard that the Army only counted them as one unit, so they had to have another person be their battle buddy during basic.

I see Indiana all the drat time when I leave Franklin Gate. My friends and I have had many conversation about that gay.

The Army twins are...loving weird. A few months back, my friend had to pull CQ over at Alpha (we're careerists) because the guy on schedule for the that night wasn't allowed to do CQ at Alpha due to a pending rape charge. Anyhow, I go and visit him and go with on a walk-through. Obviously, they live in the same room and inside is adorned with many religious icons. They're uber-Christian. I also saw them on the same flight as mine coming back from exodus. Same clothes, same goofy way of looking at the big, scary world around them.

For my contribution: My new chain of command has slowly driven company morale lower and lower. Our company switched from MTW-F afternoon PT to MTWTh morning PT and Friday afternoon. Most retarded loving decision. According to our Chair, the grades off all of us in our company in that school building have steadily dropped and there has been a remarkable notice by the teachers in our level of motivation and overall class participation. It became so bad that our Chair lobbied complaints because she thinks morning PT is damaging our studies.

I can't wait to leave this loving place. Only a few months of Chinese and I'm out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

Godmachine posted:

For my contribution: My new chain of command has slowly driven company morale lower and lower. Our company switched from MTW-F afternoon PT to MTWTh morning PT and Friday afternoon. Most retarded loving decision. According to our Chair, the grades off all of us in our company in that school building have steadily dropped and there has been a remarkable notice by the teachers in our level of motivation and overall class participation. It became so bad that our Chair lobbied complaints because she thinks morning PT is damaging our studies.

I can't wait to leave this loving place. Only a few months of Chinese and I'm out.

I've noticed that with the Army command in this place. They just don't seem to give a flying gently caress that you guys are in class, and seem to think that it's something you should just work around your military duties. Which would kind of make sense if it were a 9-5 class that didn't require pretty much constant out-of-class devotion. I can honestly say I've only seen one lower enlisted soldier succeed at all here. All the rest I've known have been rocked, rolled, or in one case discharged for child neglect.

• Locked thread