Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clemen
Jul 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Pththya-lyi posted:

Humans are an ancient race whose homeworld and origins are lost to the mists of time. They're numerous because 1) they like to explore and settle in different places and 2) they gently caress like bunnies.

So we are like the Mexicans of the Star Wars Galaxy? That's awesome :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
This is just a theoretical question. If one wanted to be a Storm Trooper for Halloween where would they go to find good quality suits like you would see the 501St going around in at conventions and what not. This is all in theory of course and no one plans on trying it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Buy a suit from somebody who makes them in the 501st.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Darth Freddy posted:

This is just a theoretical question. If one wanted to be a Storm Trooper for Halloween where would they go to find good quality suits like you would see the 501St going around in at conventions and what not. This is all in theory of course and no one plans on trying it.

Got a bunch of money to spend?

http://www.sdsprops.com/armour-intro.html

Of course, I imagine you can probably find it from people who are not the original makers for more cheaply. :v:

beze
Sep 7, 2005

Now! With 25% More Stupid!
As I understand it, a snowspeeder is a modified T-47. What does an unmodified T-47 look like? Does someone have a pic?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

beze posted:

As I understand it, a snowspeeder is a modified T-47. What does an unmodified T-47 look like? Does someone have a pic?

Basically the same. If I remember correctly, the modification consisted of that grate-thingie on the back. Supposed to help with the cold.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I don't think it had the laser cannons either.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Basically it was an upside-down shovel with a tow hook on it.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Darth Freddy posted:

I believe most of the people in the 501st make their own suits and helmets. So unless you want to pay an ungodly amount of money on a suit, your best bet is to make your own.

Not A Bear
Nov 4, 2009

sniper4625 posted:

Basically the same. If I remember correctly, the modification consisted of that grate-thingie on the back. Supposed to help with the cold.

So who made the T-47's? Are they the same bunch that made Luke's T-16 skyhopper? Also, did we ever see what that looked like? Because, as far as I recall we only see a part of it in ANH in the garage scene and it uh looked sorta trianglar I guess?

Speaking of ANH, I've always wondered, how much did Luke know Obi-wan prior to the events of ANH? I mean he does seem pretty upset with the whole Ben being cut in half by a dark armoured figure thing, but I'm sure most folk would be at least a bit disturbed seeing that happen to the nice old guy from down the road.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/T-16_skyhopper

hemp
Dec 18, 2008

Not A Bear posted:

Speaking of ANH, I've always wondered, how much did Luke know Obi-wan prior to the events of ANH? I mean he does seem pretty upset with the whole Ben being cut in half by a dark armoured figure thing, but I'm sure most folk would be at least a bit disturbed seeing that happen to the nice old guy from down the road.

He knew of him a little bit I guess, he refers to him as "old Ben Kenobi" but he probably was just the weird old man down the road. In fairness, Luke's decided to go off on an adventure with him and be trained as a Jedi immediately after witnessing his only remaining family get murdered. When they're on the Death Star Luke is way out of his depth and Ben is basically all he has left.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I vaguely recall in one of the older enclyclopedias that I own Luke, Tank and Biggs did some dumb early teen poo poo in the desert and almost died but Obi-Wan saved their asses.

Also, I'd make fun of Tank being called Tank but I read the kick rear end webcomics he and Biggs we're in so no. Plus he teased Luke in his whiny rear end stage.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

I vaguely recall in one of the older enclyclopedias that I own Luke, Tank and Biggs did some dumb early teen poo poo in the desert and almost died but Obi-Wan saved their asses.

Also, I'd make fun of Tank being called Tank but I read the kick rear end webcomics he and Biggs we're in so no. Plus he teased Luke in his whiny rear end stage.

Do you have a link to the webcomic? I don't think I've ever read that one.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

SeanBeansShako posted:

Tank is also the dude from the Empire comics, so he's actually awesome.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Not A Bear posted:

So who made the T-47's? Are they the same bunch that made Luke's T-16 skyhopper? Also, did we ever see what that looked like? Because, as far as I recall we only see a part of it in ANH in the garage s

You can see one flying over Mos Eisley in the Tatooine celebration scene from the ROTJ SE.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Do you have a link to the webcomic? I don't think I've ever read that one.

Blue Milk Special isn't mentioned in the OP? here is the URL.

http://www.bluemilkspecial.com/

Tank kicked major rear end in the Empire comic too.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm close to finishing the 3rd FOJ book, Abyss. I'm listening to audio books at work, so I don't know off hand which chapter I'm on. Did anyone else get tired of the mind drinker/walker plot before it started? It just feels really boring to me. Although I did just get past the part where they talk to anakin/mara, so that wasn't so bad. Loved the brief mando skirmish, kept waiting for han to fall and break a hip or something.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Not A Bear posted:

So who made the T-47's? Are they the same bunch that made Luke's T-16 skyhopper? Also, did we ever see what that looked like? Because, as far as I recall we only see a part of it in ANH in the garage scene and it uh looked sorta trianglar I guess?
Luke has a model of his T-16 in his house, it's the little three-winged triangle thing. They were made by Incom, who manufactured X-wings, which is how he was able to fly an X-wing - the controls were the same.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My local comic shop held a Star Wars Family Day event where the 501st showed up and they offered discounts if you showed up in costume.

I hope they gave that kid 80% off. :3:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

D'awwww.

I still kind of love Star Wars if it brings young kids the same joy we got from it.

Dash Magnum
Jul 25, 2007

That's no moon...
It's a Face Station!

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm close to finishing the 3rd FOJ book, Abyss. I'm listening to audio books at work, so I don't know off hand which chapter I'm on. Did anyone else get tired of the mind drinker/walker plot before it started? It just feels really boring to me. Although I did just get past the part where they talk to anakin/mara, so that wasn't so bad. Loved the brief mando skirmish, kept waiting for han to fall and break a hip or something.

Yeah, for a group of communal solipsists, things turned to bullshit pretty quickly. And personally I felt the parts with Anakin/Mara/Jacen to be pretty worthless too. It felt like a half-hearted attempt to give more closure that ultimately just took up page space. Oh also it may not even have been real, so there's that too.

The Mando fight was kinda fun, I just wish Denning would stop making up new Force powers that play out like comic book superpowers. It wouldn't surprise me if in his next installment a Jedi develops laser vision or shape-shifting.

Enjoy the next book where Han and Leia continue to have adventures in bad parenting!

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.
Speaking of Star Wars vehicles...I'm willing to accept that space fighters have 'wings' - fine, maybe you need to land on planets sometimes and anyway it's just a movie. But is there any explanation as to why the wings have to be set in "attack position" for combat...in space? In a vacuum? Where there is no air, therefore no way for wings to generate lift or do anything useful other than look cool?

(I should have never even opened this thread. I picked up a couple EU books at the library over the weekend. My transition to the Dark Side has begun.)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

TorpedoFish posted:

Speaking of Star Wars vehicles...I'm willing to accept that space fighters have 'wings' - fine, maybe you need to land on planets sometimes and anyway it's just a movie. But is there any explanation as to why the wings have to be set in "attack position" for combat...in space? In a vacuum? Where there is no air, therefore no way for wings to generate lift or do anything useful other than look cool?

(I should have never even opened this thread. I picked up a couple EU books at the library over the weekend. My transition to the Dark Side has begun.)

I may be wrong about this, but I believe when they're together (we're talking about X-Wings, right?) the engines work together for traveling through hyperspace, and when they're apart, since the guns are on the wings themselves, it gives you four streams of lasers to hit your enemy instead with of just two.

Granted, after typing that out, it doesn't make a ton of sense, but it's something like that.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Dash Magnum posted:

Yeah, for a group of communal solipsists, things turned to bullshit pretty quickly. And personally I felt the parts with Anakin/Mara/Jacen to be pretty worthless too. It felt like a half-hearted attempt to give more closure that ultimately just took up page space. Oh also it may not even have been real, so there's that too.

The Mando fight was kinda fun, I just wish Denning would stop making up new Force powers that play out like comic book superpowers. It wouldn't surprise me if in his next installment a Jedi develops laser vision or shape-shifting.

Enjoy the next book where Han and Leia continue to have adventures in bad parenting!

Yeah, just started it today. Han and Leia just landed on dathomir and are planning on leaving allana and her pet nexu alone on the ship. No sub plot could possibly develop from that situation :rolleyes:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Some EU traditions never die.

Oh keep an eye on STEAM this week they are doing discounts for all LA Star Wars games on it. Right now is the first Force Unleashed for the PC up for grabs.

STEAM has both KOTOR Games and the Jedi Knight collection as well as Battlefront 2 and Republic Commando.

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

SeanBeansShako posted:

Some EU traditions never die.

Oh keep an eye on STEAM this week they are doing discounts for all LA Star Wars games on it. Right now is the first Force Unleashed for the PC up for grabs.

STEAM has both KOTOR Games and the Jedi Knight collection as well as Battlefront 2 and Republic Commando.

I'm not seeing the second KOTOR game; I've been waiting for that to come out on Steam.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Suenteus Po posted:

I'm not seeing the second KOTOR game; I've been waiting for that to come out on Steam.

Odd, I thought KOTOR 2 was out already on STEAM. I can't see any reason why Obsidian is keeping it back then. Out of the two I enjoy the 2nd ones slightly more darker feel.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

Yeah, just started it today. Han and Leia just landed on dathomir and are planning on leaving allana and her pet nexu alone on the ship. No sub plot could possibly develop from that situation :rolleyes:
It's probably the best book of the series so far.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

I may be wrong about this, but I believe when they're together (we're talking about X-Wings, right?) the engines work together for traveling through hyperspace, and when they're apart, since the guns are on the wings themselves, it gives you four streams of lasers to hit your enemy instead with of just two.

Granted, after typing that out, it doesn't make a ton of sense, but it's something like that.

Basically, though there are indications in some of the books that the hyperdrive works with the s-foils split, and that you can fire with them together.

EA Pro Posting 09
Feb 14, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

I always assumed the wings spreading was for heat dissipation till I realised that you don't get that sort of heat dissipation in space (Do you? Would a CPU Heatsink work in a vacuum?)

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

TorpedoFish posted:

In space, the wings basically function as heat sinks. Having the two wings be able to split into four increases their total surface area, and therefore the rate at which heat can dissipate; given that space is essentially a vacuum with only occasional pockets of molecular hydrogen to transfer the heat to, it's important to have as much of that surface area as possible to take advantage of what tiny trace amounts of matter there are.

edit: That'll learn me to post before refreshing.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

EA Pro Posting 09 posted:

I always assumed the wings spreading was for heat dissipation till I realised that you don't get that sort of heat dissipation in space (Do you? Would a CPU Heatsink work in a vacuum?)

Without air as a medium for direct heat transfer, it takes a long time for an object to cool off. It will still lose energy through radiation but that's a hell of a lot slower. It's why the vacuum in a Thermos works so well as an insulator. I guess increasing surface area would help a little, though.

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.

EA Pro Posting 09 posted:

Surprisingly, that makes perfect sense and I feel like a dummy know.

Fun fact: heat radiation is why the space shuttle orbits with the cargo bay doors open (and why it usually faces Earth, because that's most often away from the sun) - there's a whole big water and freon-based cooling system that runs through inside of the doors. So I guess there's a teeny tiny little microscopic bit of something like actual real science in Star Wars! But the thing about the laser guns is cooler.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

TorpedoFish posted:

All spergin' aside, the only real reason for this is because it looks neat. Unfortunately, that's not sufficient for most of us fanboys.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
You could also argue that it's a better attack profile than the two wings. >o< would be harder to hit than =o=.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You could also argue that it's a better attack profile than the two wings. >o< would be harder to hit than =o=.

More importantly, it makes landing hits easier as compared to, say, the nose mounted lasers on a tie fighter or y-wing, since you've got a wider shot spread - a target juking & jinking to avoid your fire has to move further.

Then again they're setup angled slightly inward so that they converge at a point, so I dunno, maybe not quite so much. :v:

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

I always thought that the different configuration of the engines in the S-foils' attack position allowed for much greater maneuverability, akin to the Fury from Babylon 5.

EG
Jan 10, 2007
I know people don't talk poo poo on Michael Stackpole's XWing books in this thread, BUT I just read them all and the one thing that really bothered me was how in every book at least 1 character dies, but then NOPE they're actually alive the whole time, everyone just thought they were dead. It gets to the point where you know anyone who dies is coming back. In Isard's Revenge basically every single character thinks the other characters are dead, AND the bad guy they killed in a previous book is back with her clone...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deathsuxdontdie
Apr 12, 2004

Excellent Patient Care

Torael_7 posted:

More importantly, it makes landing hits easier as compared to, say, the nose mounted lasers on a tie fighter or y-wing, since you've got a wider shot spread - a target juking & jinking to avoid your fire has to move further.

Then again they're setup angled slightly inward so that they converge at a point, so I dunno, maybe not quite so much. :v:

This would make sense, but I remember back in SWG's JTL expansion if you had a TIE interceptor or X-wing, it was almost impossible to shoot at TIE fighters or any small ship because they didn't have any sort of shot convergence distance. You could literally spend an hour shooting at the back of a TIE or A Wing and the shots would just shoot around the outside of the enemy.