Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

blakout posted:

We have a Pali Rogue and Wizard/Arcane Archer possibly. Sorry I was being vague its just a longass time since I have played 3.5 and the first time I've played PF.

Level?
From the Arcane Archer I guess 5+?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

veekie posted:

Level?
From the Arcane Archer I guess 5+?

Oh sorry 8th level we're using a slighty modified point buy 10 in all stats and 16 points to add to attributes.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

blakout posted:

Oh sorry 8th level we're using a slighty modified point buy 10 in all stats and 16 points to add to attributes.

Can you explain what you mean by this? In a normal Pathfinder point buy, you automatically start out with 10s in all stats. Are you saying you have a 16 point buy, and you can't lower a stat below 10?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Klungar posted:

Can you explain what you mean by this? In a normal Pathfinder point buy, you automatically start out with 10s in all stats. Are you saying you have a 16 point buy, and you can't lower a stat below 10?

16 point buy and you can lower stats but I'd be careful with going too low as my DM can be an rear end in a top hat and kill you with his monster choice e.g. if I was a fighter with a really low wisdom mind control dudes and so forth.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
Have you looked at the subdomains from the APG? Quite a few of them strike me as significantly better and more useful than some of the default cleric domains. There are also some pretty good dwarf-feats in there. Fight On is particularly good for a cleric since you can use the extra turn of consciousness it grants to heal yourself and any other dying members of your party by channeling energy. Speaking of, make sure you have selective channel and a decent charisma mod so you're not healing enemy monsters.

Some of the subdomains that stand out as good to take at higher levles:

Construct, a subdomain of Artifice. You lose the dancing weapon power, instead getting an interesting but not necessarily as easy to use in combat "animate objects" power. However you get limited wish as a domain spell (7th level spell) and a cleric with limited wish is pretty awesome. Limited wish is, at any rate, better than Wall of Iron.

I was going to suggest others but I realized that they now have subdomains up on the pfsrd so I don't need to (I think Rage is also a really neat subdomain and raging at level 8 doesn't screw your party over the way Aura of Destruction does)! Subdomains are really cool and make clerics much more versatile and powerful (which they did not really need but whatever, I like them for inquisitors too)

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
You using the default PF pantheon?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

veekie posted:

You using the default PF pantheon?

Yea

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Well, heres a few divine options to pick from.

Torag
Artifice(Toil), The domain power is good for messing up opponents with a little creativity. It gets minor creation, which you can do plenty with Craft skills, as well as Wood Shape and Stone Shape, good for utility
Earth(Caves), Spider climbing, darkvision, and bonuses underground, whats there not to like? Instant pit traps.

Iomedae
Glory, Mass sanctuary at your level for DC is pretty excellent for buying time to buff up and escape. Meanwhile, it packs some pretty solid spells, though you get most of them from cleric anwyay. OR you could take the Heroism subdomain and be a mini bard.
Sun(Light),Spells aren't spectacular, but the blinding flare can end fights before they start proper.
War(Tactics), again, the spells are nothing special, but the ability to reroll initiative so that your wizard goes first is going to own.

Shelyn
Favoring a reach weapon is a great start, whether against large foes or just keeping them away from you
Air(Cloud), putting your enemies in a cloud where they're deaf and hammered by lightning is always handy, and getting Solid Fog on your spells is nice. That, and it gets stuff that doesn't show up on the cleric list.
Charm(Lust), Confusion and Touch of Idiocy are generally solid, and the domain power is great, if limited in uses. The main charm domain itself is good in and out of combat.
Luck(Fate), Freedom of movement is nice, but the reroll is a godsend. Ruin a bad crit, reverse a save, you don't get many uses, but well placed, this is gold.

Hadn't really gone through all the gods, but any of these would be a good start, without knowing what the game is oriented towards.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
<Goddamn Doublepost>

veekie fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 27, 2010

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Pathfinder SRD posted:

Forced Reincarnation (Su): The witch causes a creature within 30 feet to die and be immediately reincarnated into a new body. A Will save negates this effect. Those that fail are slain and immediately brought back to life with the spell reincarnate. Whether or not the save is successful, a creature cannot be the target of this hex again for 1 day.

Is this a joke? Still, Silent Save or Die with the caveat the victim revives in 1 hour with two negative levels in a new, random body at will? Shapechange into a gnat and go to town on any fortress.

Oh, and the save equivalent would be a 9th-level spell, until 19th level, when it changes to being as hard to save against as a 10th-level spell.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Is this a joke? Still, Silent Save or Die with the caveat the victim revives in 1 hour with two negative levels in a new, random body at will? Shapechange into a gnat and go to town on any fortress.

Oh, and the save equivalent would be a 9th-level spell, until 19th level, when it changes to being as hard to save against as a 10th-level spell.

Well you've got to be 18th level to select that so it doesn't seem that far out of line with other powerful save or die spells and effects? I mean hell, even going outside the magic classes, a level 20 rogue has a save or die (DC 20 + his int mod) every single time he hits with a sneak attack, and a smart rogue will have about a billion ways to get to use his sneak attack by level 20.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Pretty piddly at the level you gain it at, single target, non-permanent removal at a fairly standard DC, you could get more mileage out of mind control. Especially when you only gain negative levels, which you could Restoration away(something a cleric of half the number of levels can easily do).

Against any enemy worth fighting they'd be back in two weeks, tops.

veekie fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 29, 2010

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
Yeah, that makes sense. My biggest issue with it is that it's one of the most powerful abilities that can be thrown around at-will.

Also, drat, I didn't know rogues had that now. That's pretty cool.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Well, the best use of this sort of ability would have been to spam it over and over on a BBEG or something, but the 1/day per target puts the kibosh on that. The reincarnation aspect in fact works against you, as the victim comes right back, pissed and raring to fight, if weakened. So it's a once off 2 negative level injection.

I'd rather use Eternal Slumber(despite the rather hazardous touch range, you can use your familiar for it) or Natural Disaster(which, while not exactly all that effective, is rather spectacular)

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Reincarnation puts you in a random animal body, right? That is a bit more crippling that just two negative levels if you lose all your gear and possibly your humanoid characteristics that allow you to cast spells, hold a sword etc

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Karandras posted:

Reincarnation puts you in a random animal body, right? That is a bit more crippling that just two negative levels if you lose all your gear and possibly your humanoid characteristics that allow you to cast spells, hold a sword etc

All of them are humanoid and generally physically stronger than humans unless you use 100% percentile of them turning into something of DM's choice.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
Does Pathfinder still have the weird ambiguity as to whether or not you can lose a prestige class that has requirements you no longer meet if ressurected as a different race?

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
I'm making a Druid for a friends game(Kingmaker) that's starting soon. Never done that before. How do I make a good one?

metachronos fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 29, 2010

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Red_Mage posted:

Does Pathfinder still have the weird ambiguity as to whether or not you can lose a prestige class that has requirements you no longer meet if ressurected as a different race?

They dropped (as far as I know) all the racial requirements for Prestige Classes and reflavored them accordingly, if that's what you mean. Or are you talking about something else?

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF

metachronos posted:

I'm making a Druid for a friends game(Kingmaker) that's starting soon. Never done that before. How do I make a good one?

Depends on what you want the druid to do. They aren't quite the unstoppable superhuman do-everything murder factories they were in 3.5, but they're still bloody flexible and can do whatever they set their mind to very well. Here's some more general advice.

Nature Bond: If you plan to prestige class out or want a more spell-y druid, pick up the domain casting. If you want to stay pure druid or fancy being a bit more combat oriented, go for the animal companion. My gnome druid is rocking up a wolf in the Rise of the Runelords, and it serves as a combat character and mount all at once.

Spells: Druids get a pretty adaptable spell list, with some healing, buffs, direct damage, utility spells in there as well... It can be hard to know what to pick. At lower levels, packing in some extra healing is always appreciated, and I've yet to encounter anyone who doesn't appreciate a Bulls Strength slapped down on the Paladin. Have your friend play about a bit and see what works for them spell wise.

Wild Shape: With natural spell, you can stay in an elemental form all day long past 8th level with no actual downsides! Given the bonuses that changing into, say, a hawk or air elemental gives you, why wouldn't you? If you want to do some melee then turn into a wolf or bear. Dire Lion past level 8 is very nasty for combat purposes.

Feats: Natural spell is so much of a no brainer here that you might want to not take it so that you don't show up the rest of the party. Apart from that, just take feats that support one of the two basic druid roles (Caster or combat) and you should be golden.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

metachronos posted:

Check out this and the other two chapters for some good information.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
What is everyone's opinion on inquisitors?

My summoner got dominated into oblivion by a demigod so I'm rerolling.

I was thinking about a high dex inquisitor of liberation, but am still open to domain suggestions.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Tactical Bonnet posted:

What is everyone's opinion on inquisitors?

My summoner got dominated into oblivion by a demigod so I'm rerolling.

I was thinking about a high dex inquisitor of liberation, but am still open to domain suggestions.

Inquisitors are far and away my favorite class. They are extremely versatile--the shifting nature of their judgments allows them to be both good skirmishers and frontline fighters as the situation demands. A dex/wisdom build is good, you'll usually be winning initiative past second level but unless your abilities continue to improve, some monsters will start to have better bonuses than you later on, since these boosts don't scale. In combat I guess you'll focus on using solo tactics and a lot of tumbling to get into place to use teamwork feats, and occasionally to cast spells like hold person or castigate.

I think a strength-wisdom build is a stronger combat option, but a dex build is certainly not bad. Inquisitors make better melee fighters than ranged (I'd argue they're the best pure-damage class in the game if you build them right) and you never have to worry about being useless outside of combat, because Detect Lies and Detect Allignment as at-will powers are always useful, and they have a host of other non-combat spells.

They simply have so many bonuses that stack, and access to spells like invisibility and true strike (and healing for that matter), that they can unleash truly massive damage. In the mid-levels I really don't think any other class is on par with an inquisitor for sheer destructive output(and take the Rage subdomain of the Destruction domain if you really want to boost that damage, getting rounds of barbarian rage at level 8 and a morale bonus of half your level to damage from level 1 on is really nice!). And they're not glass cannons--a d8 hit die isn't great, but Inquisitors can get a damage reduction right out of the gate as a swift action using their judgments, and at level 8 they get two judgments active at once, which means they can have a damage reduction and quick heal, or a damage reduction and an AC boost, or energy resistance. As long as an inquisitor is prepared for a fight (and winning initiative and casting invis is just as good most of the time) they can probably always survive, if not singlehandedly win the encounter.

Edit: Oh, and at-will abilities like Detect Allignment and Detect Lies, and the Stern Gaze power (which also stacks nicely with Orc bonuses to intimidate) mean that you aren't ever going to have to worry about being useless outside of combat, which I meant to mention but kind of glossed over because of shiny high damage numbers.

grah fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 1, 2010

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
I don't know. I might pick the liberation domain so my inquisitor can be a beautiful snowflake who comes to town to dish out sweet sweet freedom one crossbow bolt at a time.

But yeah, we really don't have any melee at the moment, at least none that can be called "front line" melee. I suppose I could do a strength/wis build and when I need to be all up on the front line I can just judge Fast healing/damage reduction. Also this will be a level 9 inquisitor.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Tactical Bonnet posted:

I don't know. I might pick the liberation domain so my inquisitor can be a beautiful snowflake who comes to town to dish out sweet sweet freedom one crossbow bolt at a time.

But yeah, we really don't have any melee at the moment, at least none that can be called "front line" melee. I suppose I could do a strength/wis build and when I need to be all up on the front line I can just judge Fast healing/damage reduction. Also this will be a level 9 inquisitor.

Well the level 8 liberation domain power is really, really excellent, especially if you've got lots of squishy casters since it makes them immune to being grappled or pinned. And you'll still have all the inquisitor spells and powers to give you decent damage. If you get 9th level gear though I heartily recommend the straight destruction domain (make all critical threats autoconfirm) and a keen falchion or scimitar (or scythe if you want to lower your number of crits but completely destroy things on a 19-20). Just be careful you don't kill yourself with that since the auto-confirm cuts both ways. Best for popping out of invisibiltity and great cleaving the entire enemy party with a keen falchion (preferablywhile enlarged, so that your base damage is something like 2d6+2d6+25 and on a crit you get up to 8d6+50)

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

Groping one generation at a time
I love my inquisitor at low levels, percise striking as the teamwork feat while dual wielding is pretty spiff in the 3-6 level range. Flames of the Faithful, Aid, Truestrike, all work great. Later I think they move from being damage dealers to being big time buffers.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

I already said I'm 9th level, I can't do improved critical until 11 as an inquisitor. Besides all that, we never really have had much of a front line(if I was concerned with that fact I'd just roll up a barbarian using the invulnerable rager build out of the APG, which I also considered). Besides that, two other party members are rerolling as well. I might wait to see what they come up with before I decide for sure.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Tactical Bonnet posted:

I already said I'm 9th level, I can't do improved critical until 11 as an inquisitor. Besides all that, we never really have had much of a front line(if I was concerned with that fact I'd just roll up a barbarian using the invulnerable rager build out of the APG, which I also considered). Besides that, two other party members are rerolling as well. I might wait to see what they come up with before I decide for sure.

What do you need improved critical for? With level 9 gold you can very easily afford a +2 weapon, which is enough to give it the 'keen' property. Gropey C is pretty much right about Inquisitors. They are probably the best buff fighters in the game and whether they grow into a primary melee fighter or a second-line buff/magic fighter is entirely up to how you build them, but they can excel in either role (or both, frankly).

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

So I'm working on a new setting for a Pathfinder game and was wondering if there was a good Fixed Enchancement Bonus system published by Paizo or even in some random WotC book I never saw (for 3.5). I know that Paizo did a 3 or 3.5 Dark Sun setting and wondered if they give it a rework in those. Otherwise if a 3rd party has rules anybody has used I'd love to know.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

grah posted:

What do you need improved critical for? With level 9 gold you can very easily afford a +2 weapon, which is enough to give it the 'keen' property. Gropey C is pretty much right about Inquisitors. They are probably the best buff fighters in the game and whether they grow into a primary melee fighter or a second-line buff/magic fighter is entirely up to how you build them, but they can excel in either role (or both, frankly).

Or I could save the feat and the gold and use the spell. :smug:

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
So I've been prepping to start running Kingmaker this Friday. I've read the paizo.com forums and been re-reading the module. Anyone who has been through this have any suggestions or potential pitfalls I might hit?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Nothing really jumps to mind beyond the pitfalls inherent in any kind of sandboxy game. The hardest bit is likely to be convincing your players that really, truly, they're driving this thing for the most part, so they need to be proactive about looking around and investigating things. Depending on your group, that might not be an unusual thing or difficult thing for them to grasp.

After that, the only concerns would be if they explore east or west rather than heading south towards the Stag Lord/kobolds/etc. Getting in over their heads *might* not be a bad thing, again depending on your group, but it's something to prep for. Maybe have a "random" encounter that's enough to beat them silly but not kill them. Or just let them drop in over their heads.. though you should probably warn them at the outset if that's the way you're going to play it, so the players aren't taken by surprise.

Other than that, maybe just make sure to drop hints about the larger plot going on well in advance. For whatever reason I don't feel like they did a very good job introducing that until the midpoint or beyond of the AP. Just my feeling, though--I think if there's hints early on it'll make the whole thing seem less out of the blue.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Tolan posted:

The hardest bit is likely to be convincing your players that really, truly, they're driving this thing for the most part, so they need to be proactive about looking around and investigating things. Depending on your group, that might not be an unusual thing or difficult thing for them to grasp.

This is actually what I'm most worried about right now. In previous games my players have all given me really awesome backstories to work with, but this time around they've been giving me much simpler character concepts. Hopefully their characters get a little more...character by the time the first session ends. I plan the early sessions to be purely exploratory with most of the action taking place around the campfire at night as they get to know each other.

I actually have a more pressing problem right now...

LE dwarf monk, a former servant of house Garess
Elf wizard from the south who kind of wandered into Brevoy and who is friends with...
Elf alchemist, a moderate alcoholic and former bandit from the River Kingdoms
Half-elf ranger, a native of the River Kingdoms and also a former bandit

No humans, and only one character with a tenuous connection to Brevoy. Why the hell would Brevoy give these people a charter?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Maybe just emphasize the exploration rules (and the XP they get for doing it even if they don't find anything noteworthy) and the overall sandboxy nature of things.

Well, the easiest answer is *because* they're not particularly tied to Brevoy.

Brevoy's got a bit of a north-south conflict going, and the folks in Restov are looking for a) a stable region to their south that's b) not beholden to anyone but them.

A realm ruled by folks without ties to *either* side is preferable to folks tied to Restov (could draw the ire of the northern end of the country--"Restov's obviously trying to expand their influence and upset the balance!") or the northern end.

What campaign traits did they pick?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Dwarf Monk - Noble-born (House Garess)
Elf Wizard - None. I explained to him that he doesn't lose anything by taking one, but he declined.
Elf Alchemist - Brigand
Half-elf Ranger - Brigand

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

I'd probably hinge the charter on the dwarf (as he's a nobleman and would have the least issue getting such a thing) and have the others be members of his group as far as the Restov lords are concerned. Maybe ask them to explain why they're grouped and have a charter--let them figure it out with your input.

Kingmaker's all about player initiative and involvement, so why not start from the beginning: "You have this charter from Restov. Why did they give it to you, and what ties you four together?" Phrased for your group, obviously, so they know it's not a test or anything.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
So I have another random question. One of my players wants to roll a summoner, but I've been hearing whisperings of it being an absurdly broken class. However, trying to navigate the 100 paizo threads on this subject is kind of hard. Does anyone have any links to good discussions on this topic? I mean something that breaks it all down and also maybe gives suggestions on fixes?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Mainly IIRC, it has to do with the number of natural weapon attacks they can get(which all eventually hit with full or nearly full BAB), plus weapon attacks if they have arms.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

The summoner is pretty broken.

I played one for four levels(6-9) and while it was a lot of fun, I wouldn't want to do it again.

At level 9 my eidolon had 5 natural attacks that all hit for d6+d6+13 when power attacking. You can look back a page or three in this thread and see the stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
So basically, a quick fix would be A) increasing the cost of additional natural weapons, B)lowering the number of natural weapons they can have at each level.

Same reason polymorphing into a hydra was strong back in 3.5.