Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsomniakV
Mar 20, 2004

Ambien is my teddy bear...

HKR posted:

screw cassette and go reel to reel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95hl53mmGEc

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I have an Akai AA-1050 stereo receiver, and sometimes the right channel cuts out or goes very quiet. Usually fiddling with the knobs a bit, or turning it off then on again fixes it. From what I understand, this is a pretty decent tuner so I'd like to clean it out or fix it myself

The guy I bought it from said it was recently cleaned, so do you think it wasn't cleaned well enough or properly, or is something else possibly at fault?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

My yard sale scores so far this summer have been these bad boys:

Kenwood KR-2300 $5

Pioneer SA-8800 $20

Both worked great! I didn't like the sound of either over my Marantz though, so I flipped them on CL.

I also picked up a Cerwin Vega orphan for free that became my ghetto car sub.

captain_g
Aug 24, 2007

Sloppy posted:

My yard sale scores so far this summer have been these bad boys:

Kenwood KR-2300 $5

Pioneer SA-8800 $20

Both worked great! I didn't like the sound of either over my Marantz though, so I flipped them on CL.

I also picked up a Cerwin Vega orphan for free that became my ghetto car sub.

drat, I am really jealous of the sa-8800....

1mpper
Nov 26, 2004
Is $300 a good price for an original model Tehnics SL-1200 in good condition? Trying to determine whether it's a decent deal but I can't find any price ranges for the old models.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

aerdil posted:

Is $300 a good price for an original model Tehnics SL-1200 in good condition? Trying to determine whether it's a decent deal but I can't find any price ranges for the old models.

does it come with a cart? If it's a decent hi-fi cart instead of a dj cart and the turntable looks to be in excellent condition, it's a pretty decent price.

If it comes with a dj cart, try to talk the guy into a lower price since you'll want to spend around $100+ on a new one.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

iamthejeff posted:

I have an Akai AA-1050 stereo receiver, and sometimes the right channel cuts out or goes very quiet. Usually fiddling with the knobs a bit, or turning it off then on again fixes it. From what I understand, this is a pretty decent tuner so I'd like to clean it out or fix it myself

The guy I bought it from said it was recently cleaned, so do you think it wasn't cleaned well enough or properly, or is something else possibly at fault?

Sounds more like something is broken in there; a component is failing or a solder joint is going bad. Does it occur particularly ofter when the receiver is warm, or cold?

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life
Got a Pro-Ject Debut III a few weeks ago and am loving it. Just using a cheap (but nice) phono pre-amp into a pair of Audioengine A5s. Sounds amazing.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

InsomniakV posted:

Planning to start garage sailing for a cassette deck. What should I be on the lookout for? Good brand names? Good vintages? Common problems? Things to try before I buy?

I'm handy with a screwdriver and a soldering iron so paying $5 for a high quality but ostensibly broken piece of equipment is right up my alley.

Are you near Portland? I have a couple nice tape decks that I don't want anymore. 3-head Onkyo Integra and a Yamaha dual deck thing.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

CountOfNowhere posted:

Are you near Portland? I have a couple nice tape decks that I don't want anymore. 3-head Onkyo Integra and a Yamaha dual deck thing.

If he isn't close by, I'm in Seattle and have been wanting to get a cassette deck.

1mpper
Nov 26, 2004

HKR posted:

does it come with a cart? If it's a decent hi-fi cart instead of a dj cart and the turntable looks to be in excellent condition, it's a pretty decent price.

If it comes with a dj cart, try to talk the guy into a lower price since you'll want to spend around $100+ on a new one.

Nope, doesn't even come with a cart. I suppose I'll pass on it then. Technically it's $250, but it's an extra $45 shipped.

1mpper fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 28, 2010

1mpper
Nov 26, 2004
If needledoctor.com is still the go-to place to buy Debut III's, are there any glaring differences besides color between the white and the black?

Black: http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Jec...L0Jd!2091625611

White: http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Jec...L0Jd!2091625611

I'd probably prefer the black, but not enough to justify spending an extra $70.

Edit: Also, final question: How does the Audio Technica PEQ3 phono pre-amp (link) compare to the TCC TC-750 listed in the OP?

1mpper fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 28, 2010

InsomniakV
Mar 20, 2004

Ambien is my teddy bear...

CountOfNowhere posted:

I'm in California, but thanks for the offer.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I helped my uncle set up his new TV and surround sound system this weekend, and I rescued his old system from the curb. So now I have an Allied 333 receiver and two Allied and one Fisher speakers. The Fisher is shot (not worth refoaming), but the Allieds are ok. The gem is the receiver. It's a tube amp, all wood casing (not laminate over metal) and in perfect cosmetic condition. Apparently it's the same thing as a Pioneer SX34 except for the wood. It looks like it might have also been sold under the Knight brand? I haven't been able to find out much about the brand, but I've found three on eBay. One for $50, one for $150, and one for $450. None looked as good as the one I have now. My uncle claims he bought it in the late 60's because someone told him it at the time that was the best on the market. Then he bought the Fisher speaker a few years later for the exact same reason.

So, does anyone know anything about Allied brand?

Once I find a spot for it, I'm going to hook it up to my SL-1200. My uncle also gave me about 50 LPs that someone had left at his house over 20 years ago, so it looks like I've got a nice addition to my growing collection.

EDIT: Here's a page with some pictures: http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?miscrcvr&1287611188

And the Pioneer version: http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/pioneer_sx_34.html

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 8, 2010

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

empty baggie posted:

I helped my uncle set up his new TV

His old system probably sounds better than his new one. Score for you!

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Sloppy posted:

His old system probably sounds better than his new one. Score for you!

Yeah, his new system is a Sony DVD home-theater-in-a-box from Wal-Mart. I tried to upsell him but he wasn't going for it. I think the only reason he wanted to upgrade is because the Allied doesn't have a remote and he was sick of walking to the receiver to turn it up and down.

A Sober Irishman
Sep 13, 2007

"He killed 16 Czechoslovakians. Guy was an interior decorator."

"Really? His house looked like shit."
I have a question.

Yesterday, I discovered that our neighbours had put out what I thought was just a stereo and two big speakers on the footpath for trash pickup. So, shiftily glancing around, I took them into my house, and had a look at it today.

I found out that it is also a functioning turntable. The whole thing works, the speakers are pretty great, and it is also a radio/receiver built in. From what it says on the back, the model is a Sanyo DC 640XK. Here are some pics from before I cleaned it up:

Any way, the reason I am posting is that a)it does not have a cartridge/stylus and b)the arm doesnt seem to work properly. I'm not sure if it's missing a vital component or something, but the switch to move it up and down don't seem to work, and when I move it over and down as if to put it on a record, it doesn't stay put, it just swings off to the side. Will this be corrected when I actually play a record on it? It's like the counterweight is too heavy or something, it just comes back up from being level and goes to the side. Here are some close ups of the arm base for detail:

Also, can any cartridge be used in it? Or do I need a specific brand? From what I have read, it is a half inch mount. The stylus it takes is an ST14D. I really want to get this thing working so I can start playing some sweet rear end records.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Sweet find, I like that. The reason the arm is acting odd is that there is no cartridge on it. The counterweight is supposed to be set just a little heavier (how much depends on the cartridge you use) than the 'floating point' right in the middle of the balance range with a cartridge installed. Your arm is slamming all the way to the top of it's movement range full time due to the weight of the cartridge being missing.

Owsla fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 12, 2010

A Sober Irishman
Sep 13, 2007

"He killed 16 Czechoslovakians. Guy was an interior decorator."

"Really? His house looked like shit."
Thanks for that. Now I just need to get a new cartridge. Are there any recommended cheapish half inch mount cartridges? And it doesn't matter what brand, right?

Fake edit: Haha, 3 year forums anniversary post.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
I have an old AKAI AP-A100 that I got from my dad and when I tried to work it the first time I kept trying to fiddle with the needle. I have no idea why I did that but anyway, I was wondering how you could know if a needle has been damaged to the point where it will damage the records themselves and if I should just upgrade(I mean the drat thing doesn't even have a cap).

betamax
Sep 30, 2008

leering
So, I got the scratch for getting a turntable to finally get to hear some Vinyls I've accumulated over the years. I was hoping I could get some opinions on some equipment that I already have available back home, in terms of if it is worth getting into a plane and flying over 1 country with it or if I might be better off getting the cheapo options mentioned in the OP..

The stuff I have:

Turntable: Technics SL-BD27
Amp: Technics SU-V98
Equalizer: Technics SH-8057

Another amp: Marantz 1122DC

Would I still need to get a receiver? or would an amp do?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

betamax posted:

So, I got the scratch for getting a turntable to finally get to hear some Vinyls I've accumulated over the years. I was hoping I could get some opinions on some equipment that I already have available back home, in terms of if it is worth getting into a plane and flying over 1 country with it or if I might be better off getting the cheapo options mentioned in the OP..

The stuff I have:

Turntable: Technics SL-BD27
Amp: Technics SU-V98
Equalizer: Technics SH-8057

Another amp: Marantz 1122DC

Would I still need to get a receiver? or would an amp do?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only difference between an amp and a receiver is that a receiver has a tuner section.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Sloppy posted:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only difference between an amp and a receiver is that a receiver has a tuner section.

You're right if we're talking about an integrated amp where the preamp and amp are both present. My amp is separate from my preamp so it does nothing besides amplify the signal and send it to the speakers.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
Just won a RR2150 from Ebay for $530 shipped!

betamax
Sep 30, 2008

leering
I decided to go vintage and just got my first turntable... a thorens td 160. I got it for $120 and it works fine. Ex-owner mentioned it needs new belt and needle, and the dustcover has no hinges and is kinda scratched but the turntable itself looks and sounded pretty good. Now hunting for a receiver :)

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
I think my cartridge is starting to wear out because all of my records are starting to sounds scratchier and shittier. Any recommendations on cartridges in the 50 to 70 dollars range? I know literally nothing about cartridges except Grado make them and I also like my Grado headphones.

betamax
Sep 30, 2008

leering
SO, besides the Thorens TD 160 I managed to score a Pioneer SX-3800 is very good condition and a set of Burhoe Acoustics Red speakers off craigslist that were had just been refoamed. The receiver came with a freebie Pioneer tapedeck to boot. I am pretty happy with how this equipment sounds. I got all this for 320 bucks (thank you craigslist). Pictures to come soon.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
So a ladyfriend has this early 2000's cheapo sony turntable with what looks to be a built in switchable phono stage. I don't know if she's actually ever used it either. Took it here from a long distance move is all I know.

She said it was broke and that means I wanted to tinker with it, so I check it out and there's no belt. Find the model listed online asks for a certain size belt, I order the same size off a seller on amazon.com, finally get around to installing it today. Belt fits great BUT turntable does nothing. Not even spin. She's got the manual so I go through the steps but its just obviously not working.

Any ideas for problem solving? She doesn't have an amp to hook it up to either but I'd like to get it spinning before diagnosing other problems. It should at least just turn though. No on/off button just a 17/30cm switch, 33/45 switch, up/down tonearm toggle, start button, stop button and under the platter is a switch to turn the phono stage on/off. There's a voltage switch under there too but its missing and so is whatever would be under that (I wonder if that's the problem?).

Should I rip open the case and see if the ac cord is all secure? I can't see any indication LEDs so I can't tell if its getting power or not.

edit- I finally got a bootleg stylus for the shure m93e cart on my thrifted PE 5050 only to find out its kinda hosed up. The tonearm isnt grounded or something lots of loud buzz, gonna need to figure out wtf is up with it. Did find out if you need a replacement stylus for that cart go to parts-express.com and get their bootleg!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Not an Anthem posted:

Should I rip open the case [...]?

Yes. The answer to that question is always yes. :)

Do you have a multimeter with an Ohm-meter function? Can you borrow one? It will be very useful to you in determining whether a cable is broken or if it's the motor that's broken down.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I might take my dad's Fisher receiver off his hands. It's probably older than I am, but he was the original owner, and on the outside, it's most likely pristine. I know nothing about the insides of any electrical device, much less audio equipment. If I plug it in, and hear a little static, is it worth paying $25 to a local shop to diagnose it?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Not an Anthem posted:

So a ladyfriend has this early 2000's cheapo sony turntable with what looks to be a built in switchable phono stage. I don't know if she's actually ever used it either. Took it here from a long distance move is all I know.

She said it was broke and that means I wanted to tinker with it, so I check it out and there's no belt. Find the model listed online asks for a certain size belt, I order the same size off a seller on amazon.com, finally get around to installing it today. Belt fits great BUT turntable does nothing. Not even spin. She's got the manual so I go through the steps but its just obviously not working.

Any ideas for problem solving? She doesn't have an amp to hook it up to either but I'd like to get it spinning before diagnosing other problems. It should at least just turn though. No on/off button just a 17/30cm switch, 33/45 switch, up/down tonearm toggle, start button, stop button and under the platter is a switch to turn the phono stage on/off. There's a voltage switch under there too but its missing and so is whatever would be under that (I wonder if that's the problem?).

Should I rip open the case and see if the ac cord is all secure? I can't see any indication LEDs so I can't tell if its getting power or not.

Look inside for a fuse. I fixed a cheapo BPC system I found at the dump that way. Then I swapped it for some nice monitors :v:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
A local thrift store has a Kenwood KA-305 for $30. It's in pretty good shape, no scratches or anything on the outside, but I doubt the shop has tested it. Should I take a shot at it?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Red posted:

A local thrift store has a Kenwood KA-305 for $30. It's in pretty good shape, no scratches or anything on the outside, but I doubt the shop has tested it. Should I take a shot at it?

Even if it seems to work, that's still a pretty marginal price for only 40wpc. I definitely wouldn't buy it without at least plugging it in to check it out. If they let you test it out with a pair of speakers and it works perfectly, then it's a decent deal.

Face Of Bear
Oct 29, 2004
I finaly got around to buying a new TT that actually works. I found a used rega planar 2 for 290usd which is pretty cheap in Norway.
They cost 680$ new without a pickup, so i'm pretty pleased.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Face Of Bear posted:

I finaly got around to buying a new TT that actually works. I found a used rega planar 2 for 290usd which is pretty cheap in Norway.
They cost 680$ new without a pickup, so i'm pretty pleased.

Assuming it's in good shape that's a steal. Nice find!

betamax
Sep 30, 2008

leering
So, I've been hitting some thrift stores and found a few discs that seems on good condition other than they are kinda filthy. What brushes/solutions do you use for cleaning what you find?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

A Sober Irishman posted:

I have a question.

Yesterday, I discovered that our neighbours had put out what I thought was just a stereo and two big speakers on the footpath for trash pickup. So, shiftily glancing around, I took them into my house, and had a look at it today.

I found out that it is also a functioning turntable. The whole thing works, the speakers are pretty great, and it is also a radio/receiver built in. From what it says on the back, the model is a Sanyo DC 640XK. Here are some pics from before I cleaned it up:

Any way, the reason I am posting is that a)it does not have a cartridge/stylus and b)the arm doesnt seem to work properly. I'm not sure if it's missing a vital component or something, but the switch to move it up and down don't seem to work, and when I move it over and down as if to put it on a record, it doesn't stay put, it just swings off to the side. Will this be corrected when I actually play a record on it? It's like the counterweight is too heavy or something, it just comes back up from being level and goes to the side. Here are some close ups of the arm base for detail:

Also, can any cartridge be used in it? Or do I need a specific brand? From what I have read, it is a half inch mount. The stylus it takes is an ST14D. I really want to get this thing working so I can start playing some sweet rear end records.

God drat. My grandparents had that exact model. I remember fiddling with the knobs for hours, and listening to the radio. Pretty lights too :)

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Right channel on my marantz 2230 is making GBS threads the bed, sounds like the speaker is dying so I swapped the speakers between both sets of speaker outs (A & B) but no difference, then I switched to entirely new speakers on the A&B channels and same results, the right channel sounds like something is loving up and distorting/crackling the output.

I dunno which board on the marantz runs it so I think im taking it into a shop that replaced the power board cos its still under the 30 day warranty, I hope anyway. Anyone have experience fixing that?

edit- I also came across a nad 705 receiver for 40$ with the receiver part dead, I was gonna counter-offer 20$ and see if they bit.. good deal?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Not an Anthem posted:

Right channel on my marantz 2230 is making GBS threads the bed, sounds like the speaker is dying so I swapped the speakers between both sets of speaker outs (A & B) but no difference, then I switched to entirely new speakers on the A&B channels and same results, the right channel sounds like something is loving up and distorting/crackling the output.

I dunno which board on the marantz runs it so I think im taking it into a shop that replaced the power board cos its still under the 30 day warranty, I hope anyway. Anyone have experience fixing that?

edit- I also came across a nad 705 receiver for 40$ with the receiver part dead, I was gonna counter-offer 20$ and see if they bit.. good deal?

My 2240 has a similar problem. You can try giving the pots a good cleaning with Deoxit, but if that doesn't work, the most likely problem is corroded contacts in the speaker relay. Does the 2230 poo poo out in the same way through the headphones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Weird. I was taking my pe5050 in for service and so I brought the marantz along because they usually do a free once over for anything fairly obvious, worked fine in their shop, think its probably my lovely wiring?