Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Economics question: What is the value of gold and why do people rely it to back up their money? Isn't gold largely cosmetic? I find it hard to understand the worth of gold and why it should have value...Theoretically, could we just use cheeseburgers as currency? Wouldn't it just be better to have something that has actual value, like RAM Chips or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ElwoodCuse posted:

For what system? If it's old it's probably cool.

2c. What about Roms/Abandonware We allow whatever is allowed on the underdogs to be posted here (within reason). We also allow anything that isn’t commercially available or easily purchased, within reason. Check with a mod before hand. However we do not allow rom sets or random torrents and anyone REQUESTING files will be punished. This is not a file forum.

I just had a question about transferring save files for a SNES emulator. Since it seems like I should be fine, here it is:

I'm trying to transfer a save for ZSNES between two computers, but ZSNES on the second computer doesn't want to recognize it, no matter where I put it or what I set the path to.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Avocadoes posted:

Economics question: What is the value of gold and why do people rely it to back up their money? Isn't gold largely cosmetic? I find it hard to understand the worth of gold and why it should have value...Theoretically, could we just use cheeseburgers as currency? Wouldn't it just be better to have something that has actual value, like RAM Chips or something?

It's a finite commodity whereas cheeseburgers are easily reproduced.

Why gold historically? Probably because it was the earliest example of a not easily forged currency. Even today making a material that shares all of the properties of gold is pretty drat hard if not impossible.

Why people use it to "back up" their money? It's not a "back up" it is a "hedge" against other forms of currency that can be easily reproduced. I can make 10 trillion of my dollars as a government tomorrow but I can not create more gold.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Avocadoes posted:

Orginally there was a barter system to buy stuff ("I'll give you three chickens for your pig") but that got inconvenient fast since no one really wants to carry chickens and pigs everywhere they go. Precious metals were way better, since they're smaller to carry. I might not want silver, but I don't want your pigs either. But I do know there's a least some rich guy in town who loves his bling and he'll trade me this easy to carry silver for the stuff I actaully need.

So, people kept using silver for quite awhile until inflation got to them and they switched over to making gold the 'offical' standard... Even though most people were still trading around the silver 'peices of eight'.

But the real advantage with a metal standard is that, while most other commodities fluctuated drastically in price depending on a huge number of factors, gold pretty much was always worth the same amount. If you paid your employees in bread (something they actually need), one week it might be a loaf a day, the next week a dozen loafs, and then you might only pay them one loaf a month if there was a drought going on. But with gold, it was pretty much the same constantly.

Of course, like you said, this whole basing value on gold that not many people actaully want anyhow seemed pretty silly. The USA actaually made the gold standard offical in 1900. Then, 30 years later they just gave up the idea of pretending to use gold, and now we just have pretty peices of paper that are worth whatever the economists tell us it's worth. How do they know how much it's worth?

*magic*

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Is there a free way that I can make the sound coming out of my speakers/headphones louder? I guess like an amplifier?

I know there are some headphones that have preamps or something like it but I'd rather not spend any more money to destroy my hearing.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
On Sunday September 26, a person I know needs to get something notarized. They will be staying at a hotel just down the street from New York City's Jacob Javits Convention Center.

Does anyone from the New York area know about where the nearest notary is located, or any other sort of help ful info? A call to the hotel's front desk got me absolutely nowhere since the front desk person kept suggesting banks and other places that will obviously be closed on Sunday. They suggested that my person could just ask at the front desk when they arrive, but the phone call suggests that the front desk will be less than helpful.

Does anyone local have any ideas?

Is there a freeform concierge service that operates in the NYC area that makes stuff like this happen for business travelers?

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Pretty much any UPS store or Mailboxes ETC or FedEx location or anything like that will have a notary on staff. If you call them beforehand I'm sure they could help you out. If not, a simple 'Notary in NYC' google search will do fine. There are probably 10,000 notaries in NYC, shouldn't be a problem at all.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Foodahn posted:

Pretty much any UPS store or Mailboxes ETC or FedEx location or anything like that will have a notary on staff. If you call them beforehand I'm sure they could help you out. If not, a simple 'Notary in NYC' google search will do fine. There are probably 10,000 notaries in NYC, shouldn't be a problem at all.

This should be true, but since there is no time search for one once there, the hope is that someone from NYC who knows the area will say 'this here is nearby' and open. Notary are always avaialable during weekday business hours at business hotels, but generally not avaialable on Sunday or nights etc. This is probably the case for most other locations. I also have no idea what's close to what.

A google search gets mobile notaries, but for whatever reason, this person wants to go to a location to get it done rather than have them come to her.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

kapalama posted:

This should be true, but since there is no time search for one once there, the hope is that someone from NYC who knows the area will say 'this here is nearby' and open. Notary are always avaialable during weekday business hours at business hotels, but generally not avaialable on Sunday or nights etc. This is probably the case for most other locations. I also have no idea what's close to what.

A google search gets mobile notaries, but for whatever reason, this person wants to go to a location to get it done rather than have them come to her.

I just looked for the convention center & searched for UPS & Fedex stores nearby.

Here's the closest FedEx store that's open on Sundays. Call and find out if they have a notary.
500 7th Avenue
New York, NY 10018
(646) 366-9166

Here's the closest UPS store that's open on Sundays:
328 8TH AVE
NEW YORK, NY 10001
Tel.: 212-337-3104
This one's only open from 12-pm-5pm, but it definitely has a notary. Again, you might want to call ahead and make sure the person will be there at the right time.

Amazingly, I used google for all of this.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...
Did a Google search and didn't see anything. I recently moved into a new apartment where they apparently allow smoking. The tenant in my apartment did not smoke but our neighbors across the hall did (thankfully, they've since left) and our neighbor below us does as well. Since it's started to get cool and we don't have a fan circulating air from the outside the smell of stale cigarette smoke permeates our living room constantly.

I've weather sealed the interior door leading to the hallway, but something tells me the smell is coming from inside the living room. Most likely through the holes in the floor for the heating pipes. I did a little research on my own and so far I've tried:

-Air freshener which I don't like because they pollute the air further. Pretty much only use them when guests come by.

-Citrus peel. Pretty much didn't do anything to reduce the smell.

-White vinegar in a flat bottomed dish. This worked decently well, but I'm afraid there's a constant influx of the smell because as soon as I put it away the smell returned. It also made the immediate area smell like vinegar which isn't much better.

Does anyone have experience with masking/neutralizing cigarette smell? Our apartment itself is clean so it's not about getting it out of fabrics. It's more about taking care of the influx of smell from the apartment surrounding us. Thanks!

TL/DR: Trying to get neutralize/effectively mask cigarette smell in my new apartment.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Ionizers:

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=510196

You'll have to research ratings and whatnot but I have heard they work pretty well for that use.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Looking for a free messageboard hosting service, like proboards, which meets the following criteria:

- allows admins to merge threads
- has decentish support
- has an 'ignore user' function
- does not put those contextual ads all over the text (where a random word is highlighted with a link to a Google ad or somesuch)

Any and all suggestions gratefully accepted and I hope this is not a complete fantasy. :) Alternately, if one were to put up a messageboard on one's own hosting, which bboard package does all (or most) of this?

Edited to add: Infolinks! That's the fucker we don't want!

uptown
May 16, 2009

Bojanglesworth posted:

Um, he paypals you money and then disputes it to get his money back. Or maybe he sends you a request to your email from some scam "paypal" site (http://www.kongtechnology.com/2008/07/02/fake-paypal-email-and-paypal-website/) and then he sends you the money that way.

Basically you send the ring and he has never sent you any actual money, just some fake out poo poo thru a fake website.

Oh is that it? I was hoping he had some devious plan to use my email address for evildoing, or was trying to hack my PayPal. As I previously stated, dude hasn't even given me an address to "ship" to. It's so weird.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
My cat peed on a chair and I sprinkled vinnegar on the chair to get rid of the cat pee smell, but now my apartment smells like vinnegar. Is there something I can use to neutralize the vinnegar? I Febreezed it to bejeezus and back and it still smells.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
I didn't know which SHSC thread was appropriate so I'm hoping someone can help with an answer or a thread link. I have an SD card full of holiday photos and videos. I've managed to break the plastic casing in the corner by the two slimmer contacts (right side) and three teeth are missing but the rest of the casing is fine and the contacts look fine too.

My camera won't read the card and I've been hoping that my computer would, but it doesn't. What can I do to get my data off the card before resorting to a data company?

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!
There was a contest from I think (maybe) Wired Magazine where you had to mail the editor the oddest thing not in an envelope or packaging. Ie, some dude put stamps on an orange and sharpied an address on, and just mailed it like that. I can't for the life of me find a link to this.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I've got 2, really stupid and small.

1. what does "bottle-drunk" mean? I don't remember where I've read this, it was definitely in text, a book or the internet, not spoken.

Doesn't all alcohol come in bottles unless you're buying beer for the beach/lake and you get cans? Is this referring to like grizzled hard-rear end types in movies that walk around with a 5th of jack taking big long pulls not bothering to use a glass/make something with it (also rich princess types carrying a bottle of champagne or wine) and the special kind of drunkeness that comes from that kind of dedication?

2. There's a commercial for a chrysler minivan that plays all the time. It's a bunch of dudes in a minivan driving across sand dunes. One of the guys is wearing some african militia warlord type uniform. Everyone's in silence until someone asks the nav-system to take them to the emergency room.

Someone else asks: "who's going to the emergency room?"
African warlord guy answers in african accent: "We ALL are."

I don't get it. Is there something to get? a movie reference or something? It's a cool commercial I think but maybe it'd be cooler if I understood it more.

edit: maybe I was asleep and commercials suddenly got really honest and the point is "buy a chrysler and your steering rack, brakes, poo poo, something important will fail in a life-threatening/maiming type way so you might as well be on the way to the ER".

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 13, 2010

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Pogo the Clown posted:

Here's the link to the music file itself, if that helps at all:

http://web.archive.org/web/20051218020303/tsbolton.com/bertramslair/Banjo3.wav

I've got nothing else though, sorry. I did the obvious google search for "banjo3.wav" but none of the results were the same clip.

Thanks for trying. For now I'll just content myself with the archived site, maybe TSBolton will reappear one day.

Wagonburner I don't know for sure, but my guess would be that the "Bottle Drunk" thing is more that hard liquor comes in bottles, like Whiskey and Vodka. Like; "He drank an entire bottle" is how drunk he was.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

How do I remove my credit card information from steam? Whenever I go to the my account section, all I see is a transaction history

Bodhi Tea
Oct 2, 2006

seconds are secular, moments are mine, self is illusion, music's divine.
After washing a few shirts of mine and then letting them air-dry, they smell strongly of detergent. I usually use the dryer and never noticed such a smell.
Is this normal for air-drying clothing?

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.
So I bought this picture at a garage sale today, and it's a print. There's no signature on it anywhere, but I was wondering if maybe someone recognised it? I know it's a long shot and was most likely just painted by someone totally unknown, but I figure it's worth asking:

The photograph doesn't show how bright and strange this thing is. I am so in love with how weird it is.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Dandy Cat posted:

…I was wondering if anyone knows any good places to order clove cigarettes online from?

Before local supply became more reliable, I ordered through Smokes-Spirits. Never had any problems with my orders.

I've no idea where you're located; however, if you have any CVS pharmacies in your area, they may carry Djarum filtered cigars.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

chachu posted:

So I bought this picture at a garage sale today, and it's a print. There's no signature on it anywhere, but I was wondering if maybe someone recognised it?

Fun image! It took me awhile, but a Google Image Search for art print dogs expressionism led me to Roy De Forest. This particular painting, Country Dog Gentlemen resides at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Arriviste posted:

Fun image! It took me awhile, but a Google Image Search for art print dogs expressionism led me to Roy De Forest. This particular painting, Country Dog Gentlemen resides at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art.

OH MY GOSH. I never thought it could be found. Thank you! Looks like it's time to furnish my walls with every print I can get my hands on. I am so in love with these images. Thanks again.

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

First off, is it just me or is the forum periodically going down?

Second, is there a way to actively auto-tune or pitch adjust my voice? That is, I talk into my computer microphone and the person i'm skyping with hears it autotuned or pitch lowered? It's for a joke.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Econosaurus posted:

Not just you.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Econosaurus posted:

No, I've been getting errors all day (though it's better now than it was in the morning today).

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Arriviste posted:

As it often the case with images, it's Tin Eye's first search hit, done with the picture the guy posted directly, too:

http://www.tineye.com/search/e16f18635e111dfbad483211128a15e47d999a47/

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Bodhi Tea posted:

After washing a few shirts of mine and then letting them air-dry, they smell strongly of detergent. I usually use the dryer and never noticed such a smell.
Is this normal for air-drying clothing?

Yes IME. In japan everything smells of detergent of the clothes (In Japan everything is air dryed.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Foodahn posted:

Is there a free way that I can make the sound coming out of my speakers/headphones louder? I guess like an amplifier?

I know there are some headphones that have preamps or something like it but I'd rather not spend any more money to destroy my hearing.

what are your speakers/headphones plugged into?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Foodahn posted:

Nope.

But consider buying powered speakers so you can control the volume on the speakers themselves. Headphones don't come powered, although some do come with volume control.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Can anyone recommend a good software timer? Nothing fancy, I just need a timer than I can set on repeat and use without speakers, so something that pops up on the tray would be ideal.

I'm trying the Pomodoro technique, so it would also be cool if I could set the timer to alternate between 25 and 5 minutes.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
I use Focus Booster.

edit for detail: Focus Booster alternates between two consecutive timers and is designed with Pomodoro in mind. The default session and break times are 25/5 and one can adjust the length of either timer. It works with or without sound and the bar representing time shifts color as the countdown progresses. Works on Mac/Win/Linux or can run from one's browser. All versions are free.

Arriviste fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 13, 2010

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Is coordinated raiding allowed on SA?

Starpluck fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Sep 12, 2018

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jahoodie posted:

There was a contest from I think (maybe) Wired Magazine where you had to mail the editor the oddest thing not in an envelope or packaging. Ie, some dude put stamps on an orange and sharpied an address on, and just mailed it like that. I can't for the life of me find a link to this.

Wired features a different package in each issue and prints an image of the package along with giving the sender some prize. I don't have an issue handy, but it's in the print version only and they don't mention anything about it on their website or online version.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Starpluck posted:

Like, raiding other forums or sites? No.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Starpluck posted:

Idran posted:

Like, raiding other forums or sites? No.

If that is what you're asking, Starpluck, see Forum Invasion in the SAclopedia. (Just happened to run across the topic yesterday.)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

BorderPatrol posted:

Wired features a different package in each issue and prints an image of the package along with giving the sender some prize. I don't have an issue handy, but it's in the print version only and they don't mention anything about it on their website or online version.

NOt that I have a link, but I read all about it online (Having not bought/read any magazines in years, I know it was online.)

It was when I was trying to fugure out how to send bicycle tires that I read about it.

sc4rs
Sep 15, 2007

This is what I think of your opinion.

Wagonburner posted:

2. There's a commercial for a chrysler minivan that plays all the time. It's a bunch of dudes in a minivan driving across sand dunes. One of the guys is wearing some african militia warlord type uniform. Everyone's in silence until someone asks the nav-system to take them to the emergency room.

Someone else asks: "who's going to the emergency room?"
African warlord guy answers in african accent: "We ALL are."

I don't get it. Is there something to get? a movie reference or something? It's a cool commercial I think but maybe it'd be cooler if I understood it more.

edit: maybe I was asleep and commercials suddenly got really honest and the point is "buy a chrysler and your steering rack, brakes, poo poo, something important will fail in a life-threatening/maiming type way so you might as well be on the way to the ER".

If I remember correctly it's not emergency room but rather emergency route. Essentially the idea is that there's some top secret mission going on, they've been compromised, and they need to go a different way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

dayman posted:

Did a Google search and didn't see anything. I recently moved into a new apartment where they apparently allow smoking. The tenant in my apartment did not smoke but our neighbors across the hall did (thankfully, they've since left) and our neighbor below us does as well. Since it's started to get cool and we don't have a fan circulating air from the outside the smell of stale cigarette smoke permeates our living room constantly.

I've weather sealed the interior door leading to the hallway, but something tells me the smell is coming from inside the living room. Most likely through the holes in the floor for the heating pipes. I did a little research on my own and so far I've tried:

-Air freshener which I don't like because they pollute the air further. Pretty much only use them when guests come by.

-Citrus peel. Pretty much didn't do anything to reduce the smell.

-White vinegar in a flat bottomed dish. This worked decently well, but I'm afraid there's a constant influx of the smell because as soon as I put it away the smell returned. It also made the immediate area smell like vinegar which isn't much better.

Does anyone have experience with masking/neutralizing cigarette smell? Our apartment itself is clean so it's not about getting it out of fabrics. It's more about taking care of the influx of smell from the apartment surrounding us. Thanks!

TL/DR: Trying to get neutralize/effectively mask cigarette smell in my new apartment.

I lived above smokers for 2 years. You can eliminate the existing smoke all you want, but as long as more smoke is coming in, you're pretty much screwed.