Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mookie posted:

They were the only thing of value you got out of law school and you managed to gently caress even that up?

I was drunk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

My best friend works as a litigation lawyer in NY (Paul Weiss? I think it's pretty reputable). Every meetup with him always turns into a bitching session about life as a lawyer, how pay sucks, and how he wants to get out of the industry?

I don't know anything about law so I'm wondering - why do people force themselves to work in a field which they seem to absolutely hate?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

shrike82 posted:

I don't know anything about law so I'm wondering - why do people force themselves to work in a field which they seem to absolutely hate?

Everything we're told entering law school is a lie, while in law school we fall prey to the sunk cost fallacy, and after law school we're overqualified for any jobs that don't involve being a lawyer.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Everything we're told entering law school is a lie, while in law school we fall prey to the sunk cost fallacy, and after law school we're overqualified for any jobs that don't involve being a lawyer.

and often underqualified for those that do

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007
Question for those with experience: is it possible in a lawsuit/discovery to get a subpoena for information from a non-party, even if the non-party normally sells this information (say, under the FRCP), to avoid having to purchase it at market value? Assume there is no other source of the information and it is critical for the suit to proceed.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

TheBestDeception posted:

Question for those with experience: is it possible in a lawsuit/discovery to get a subpoena for information from a non-party, even if the non-party normally sells this information (say, under the FRCP), to avoid having to purchase it at market value? Assume there is no other source of the information and it is critical for the suit to proceed.

Well, technically speaking it should be subject to subpoena. But I have seen parties subpoena experts that they can't afford to pay, and the courts in my area have not sanctioned that practice. I also was party to a suit where a party supoenaed a local government in an effort to avoid the cost of requesting records under my state's public record act. The local government objected to the subpoena, and the judge made the party pay the statutory copy rate.

As you analyze it, I assume you would issue a subpoena duces tecum, requesting the subpoenaed party to bring the material to your office to copy. They will object, then you will file a Motion to Compel, and then the subpoenaed party will respond with their demand for payment. At the very least, even if you win, expect a pretty draconian protective order limiting your ability to pass on the information.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

shrike82 posted:

Ill-education and a wretched, low class culture. It's an irresistable pincer attack for most people, even when they know it's coming and literally make threads entitled "no jobs die alone."

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007
Thanks. I had seen a case relating to the medical records, too, but that specifically turned on the statutory rates, so not really what I'm looking for. On the other side, there are the non-party subpoenas for ISP's and copyright violators, but that's not something typically sold.

How would they even object to the motion to compel? Wouldn't they have to argue it would unduly burden them (as an uninterested non-party)? Seems that their typical sale of the information would be proof that it isn't burdensome for them to produce it.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Lykourgos posted:

Ill-education and a wretched, low class culture. It's an irresistable pincer attack for most people, even when they know it's coming and literally make threads entitled "no jobs die alone."

Counterpoint: I am the living embodiment of both those things and I still knew to get out.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

atlas of bugs posted:

Counterpoint: I am the living embodiment of both those things and I still knew to get out.

Really? I seem to recall you being Fordham's jilted lover, and then you had to part with whatever ttt came second due to medical reasons. Even when you were reduced to eating your lunches out of a dumpster, you still said you were returning to law school when the following semester came around.

In your case, unless something radical has happened that you haven't shared, law school and debt would have been good for you.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheBestDeception posted:

Thanks. I had seen a case relating to the medical records, too, but that specifically turned on the statutory rates, so not really what I'm looking for. On the other side, there are the non-party subpoenas for ISP's and copyright violators, but that's not something typically sold.

How would they even object to the motion to compel? Wouldn't they have to argue it would unduly burden them (as an uninterested non-party)? Seems that their typical sale of the information would be proof that it isn't burdensome for them to produce it.

The one productive class I took in law school was a class on e-discovery (okay, bullshit buzzwords) taught by a NJ state judge (what the gently caress he was doing as an adjunct in Georgetown, who knows), and based on my vast experience from that class, you're going to have to pay.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

Holland Oats posted:

Did any of the UVA people have Jody Krauss for Contracts? He's a visiting Prof at CLS now and I'm hoping to get some intel on him.

I'm a little late to respond, but I had the legend himself, Jody Kraus, for Contracts 1L year. Awesome, engaging lecturer. I got extremely lucky with my coldcall, as it was about theory/policy/hypothetical questions with fairly straightforward answers instead of the minute details of whatever case we were on. He does a great job guiding people to the "right" answers during coldcalls, and has absolutely no patience for gunners wasting time in his class.

For the essay portion of the exam, he really stressed efficiency and correctness over spewing knowledge. He said he wanted us to use the "James Bond" approach instead of the "Commando" approach. Oh, his was also still the only law exam I've taken with a multiple choice section. It was probably the most difficult multiple choice test I have ever taken in my life, because it seemed like each answer could have been correct; it was only by varying shades of technical correctness (the best kind of correctness) that the choices differed. When some classmates and I got together to go over the practice exam, we literally got into shouting matches over our multiple choice answers. The waitress at Chili's probably thought we were psychos.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
I know I'm probably NOT going to get any clerkship interview calls but I think I'm just gonna freak out all day until I get to drink Scotch

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Staggering revelation last night: eating chocolate (with some sort of filling - the one I had was chocolate-filled chocolate) before a gulp of brandy is basically the best thing ever. I'm no longer afraid of slipping into alcoholism.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Staggering revelation last night: eating chocolate (with some sort of filling - the one I had was chocolate-filled chocolate) before a gulp of brandy is basically the best thing ever. I'm no longer afraid of slipping into alcoholism.

Look at this fucken noob doesn't know how to be classy!

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

That's just chocolate though

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

TheBestDeception posted:

I was never clear on the court's authority to require the subpoenaing party to pay the normal rate. I recall thinking "but that's bullshit" at the time. Nevertheless, I would plan on having to pay.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Fashion chat:

Where do I get good-looking slacks on a Legal Aid budget?

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

echopapa posted:

Fashion chat:

Where do I get good-looking slacks on a Legal Aid budget?

Gilt.

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

chocolate is for with port, cigars are for with brandy :drunkard101:

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Mookie posted:

chocolate is for with port, cigars are for with brandy :drunkard101:

Wild Turkey pairs with everything

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

Incredulous Red posted:

Can't argue with Hunter S. Thompson and the Kickin' Chicken.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Incredulous Red posted:

I actually had Wild Turkey with fresh-caught wild turkey. Surprisingly, not that good.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
If there's a better drink than a hendrick's martini, I haven't found it.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Lykourgos posted:

Really? I seem to recall you being Fordham's jilted lover, and then you had to part with whatever ttt came second due to medical reasons. Even when you were reduced to eating your lunches out of a dumpster, you still said you were returning to law school when the following semester came around.

In your case, unless something radical has happened that you haven't shared, law school and debt would have been good for you.

You recall correctly. At some point during that long leave of absence/homelessness, I realized that visions of myself as a gainfully employed lawyer were more like fantasy than of things to come. Maybe it was this thread. Maybe it was the statistics that seemed to flow from every possible crevice of industry analysis. Maybe it was my classmates failing to get jobs. Maybe it was my friends in the T20 and their classmates failing to get jobs. Maybe it was my friends in the T14 and their classmates failing to get jobs. Maybe it was seeing the estimates of the number of new lawyers that will graduate law school in the next 10 years against the estimated growth(?) in the field against the number of newly-accredited law schools. I have no doubt that I could have returned to school on my scholarship and lived comfortably for 2 more years while accumulating Cost of Living debt that I would never be able to pay off, but something about that plan just didn't seem morally, financially, or personally right, regardless of my current level of discomfort.

Although perhaps I am being irrational?

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

atlas of bugs posted:

You recall correctly. At some point during that long leave of absence/homelessness, I realized that visions of myself as a gainfully employed lawyer were more like fantasy than of things to come. Maybe it was this thread. Maybe it was the statistics that seemed to flow from every possible crevice of industry analysis. Maybe it was my classmates failing to get jobs. Maybe it was my friends in the T20 and their classmates failing to get jobs. Maybe it was my friends in the T14 and their classmates failing to get jobs. Maybe it was seeing the estimates of the number of new lawyers that will graduate law school in the next 10 years against the estimated growth(?) in the field against the number of newly-accredited law schools. I have no doubt that I could have returned to school on my scholarship and lived comfortably for 2 more years while accumulating Cost of Living debt that I would never be able to pay off, but something about that plan just didn't seem morally, financially, or personally right, regardless of my current level of discomfort.

Alright you snowflake, get back to law school. Why do you believe you are so special? Do you think you are TOO GOOD for soul-crushing debt? Why should you get a happy life and a bright future while the rest of us suffer?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

On Saved By The Bell this oh so cute college guy macking on Kelly is a pre-law major :swoon:

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Linguica posted:

On Saved By The Bell this oh so cute college guy macking on Kelly is a pre-law major :swoon:

That does seem like the kind of joke major that a college dude chasing high school girls would take on.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

billion dollar bitch posted:

If there's a better drink than a hendrick's martini, I haven't found it.

A Tito's martini.

Juniper Berries can suck it.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Linguica posted:

I sometimes read gossip blogs I'm sorry

quote:

Thursday, September 02, 2010
Today's Blind Items

In honor of 90210 day, I bring to you one of my favorite blind items from the past. This one I wrote in January of 2008, so that will hopefully explain The Time references. Now I want to hear The Bird. I can't even type their name without singing that song. Anyway, this blind is all about 90210.

January 24, 2008

So a little change of pace. After I saw that The Time was going to play the Grammy Awards it got me thinking about a time when I was just starting out. I used to promote concerts to get through school. This was when little guys still could do it and corporations had not swallowed up every possible venue. I had promoted The Time two or three times and made some money. I had got to know some of the group and once we happened to be in Las Vegas at the same time. They invited me to their show and to a party they were having after. I want to say they were playing at the Riviera, but I can't remember. I think it was because this was when Frank Sinatra was still alive and I remember thinking I had seen him play in the same room a week earlier and how crazy Vegas is that two totally different acts can both pack in a crowd. Of course Sinatra tickets were three times the price of The Time tickets.

Anyway, after the show, we went to a club or two, but this was still the older Vegas. Excalibur was the only big new hotel. Everything else was still to come. The clubs were still very rough around the edges. Very rough. So, after seeing a possible stabbing death at the second club we went to, we decided to head back to the hotel and one of their suites. I don't remember anyone calling anyone but all of a sudden the place was absolutely packed. Packed like it took you five full minutes to make your way across the room from one side to the other.

There was one clear area though and it was this big glass table. It was probably seven feet long and three feet wide. Sitting around the table were people basically two deep. The top of the table was covered in coke. I had seen people do coke before and thought I had seen a lot on a table before, but this was the most ever. None of the guys from The Time were touching it. I do remember that. BUT, I do remember that there were two people from this brand new television show called Beverly Hills 90210 who were sucking coke down like someone was trying to steal it from them. Most people were being very patient and chatting in between lines. Not these two. One female and one male were all over it. They were outdone in their zest for the drug only by this actress from Saved By The Bell. I honestly thought they were going to fight for it. Later, after the crowd had thinned I saw the male from 90210 and the actress from Saved By The Bell getting it on in a corner. She was pretty hot, I have to tell you. The guy I remember was very sweaty. The actress from 90210 never left the coke. Ever. Not until it was all gone. Then she got up, and left. Didn't say goodbye or anything. Just walked out and left. Hell of a night.

Kelly has seen more coke than every Manhattan lawyer combined true story

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

atlas of bugs posted:

I have no doubt that I could have returned to school on my scholarship and lived comfortably for 2 more years while accumulating Cost of Living debt that I would never be able to pay off, but something about that plan just didn't seem morally, financially, or personally right, regardless of my current level of discomfort.

I was more thinking, you could re-enroll for a semester to avoid the very real possibility of death, or at least some debiliating disease or irreversible situation. You said you had some unhealing wound and something about your diet being terrible and that you were homeless. You probably aren't mentally impaired, so a semester or more of stability would be worth the debt imo. As for your morals or whatever, you haven't said anything about that before so I don't know what you believe constitutes right and wrong. If you used that semester to get a menial job, then you could pay off that sliver of debt if it's such a burden on your soul.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Adar posted:

Kelly has seen more coke than every Manhattan lawyer combined true story
Could it have been Jessie mayhap?? She did have a thing for caffeine pills after all

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

joat mon posted:

Seconding this, especially if you're single.
Plus, if you sign up for JAG before you start or while you're in law school, you don't have to worry about job hunting - so long as you pass the bar in two tries, you're employed.

Sorry, maybe I'm missing something here, but I thought it was still pretty hard to get a job in JAG? Are you saying everyone who applies and passes the bar is accepted?

I guess my other question there is that I'm like 5'11 and 150 lbs so I'm not exactly able to rip people's windpipes out with my bare hands or whatever, how big an impediment is this?

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Dodgers Baseball America #1 Embarrassment Prospect

Linguica posted:

Could it have been Jessie mayhap?? She did have a thing for caffeine pills after all

Or it could be Lisa?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,197785,00.html

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
I've been working out at my school's law school gym, and so far I've noticed:
1 -- lots of beer bellies
2 -- everyone talks about either how much they drank last night, or how much they'll drink that night.

This is pretty much consistent with the view of lawyers I've gotten from this thread.

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

semicolonsrock posted:

2 -- everyone talks about either how much they drank last night, and how much they'll drink that night.

Fixed for lawyers vs. law students.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
In which paradise do law students have their own gym?

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

billion dollar bitch posted:

In which paradise do law students have their own gym?

Sounds like the same deal as with the law library at most places: nominally "law student gym" but full of loving undergraduates.

Also, my guess is Georgetown.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Georgetown has a hella sweet law student gym

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
if you don't take advantage of it you deserve the gut and the debt.