Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Ruse posted:

It wasn't a dream, the Edmonton police are searching for you.

Oh poo poo, does South Korea have an extradition treaty with Canada?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mr.48 posted:

Pffft, after being a C6 gunner for a while he C9 felt like a feather sent down to me from heaven. I love it to bits.

Someone was allowed to use slings on his course. :rolleyes:

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

tuyop posted:

Someone was allowed to use slings on his course. :rolleyes:

I have yet to see this mythical C9 sling I keep hearing about.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Mr.48 posted:

I hear they exist, but its probably like the brass magnet.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!

Mr.48 posted:

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Ruse posted:

Just another reason to join the Navy.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ruse posted:

Living the dream.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Just think, if you gently caress up dp1.1 again play your cards right, you could very well end up as a corporal able seamen. :laugh:

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Ruse posted:

I quite literally spent about 30% of my career at sea standing on that fucker (starboard bridge wing). Another 20% sitting at the bos'n mate desk (specials bos'n mate), 40% sleeping, and maybe 10% actual doing operator work (5% ops room, 5% drying off the towed array/loading torpedoes/dropping bathies/assorted lovely jobs).

Being ashore and a Master is pretty awesome, maybe I'll go to Whidbey Island after all...

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
That's because unless we're doing WUPS, we don't do hardly any loving ASW.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Simkin posted:

Just think, if you gently caress up dp1.1 again play your cards right, you could very well end up as a corporal able seamen. :laugh:

I'm gonna play this injury all the way to the air force.

Symbol
Jul 31, 2010
So, I filled out the online application at forces.ca last week. I'm looking at the NCM-SEP going for Naval Electronics Technician (Sonar).

I'm now just trying to gather as much information as possible, see what I might be getting myself into, and make sure I haven't made a huge mistake.

I've mentioned this decision to a couple friends and they seem to think I'm nuts. I was really excited about it and looking forward to getting started. I was a little unsure at first, but the more I look into this, the more it seems like something I really want to/should do. I just don't think most of my friends and family will be too crazy about the idea.

I know a few others on here went through the NCM-SEP; anyone go to RCCIT?
Also, are there any NE TECHs here? I've read the info on the CF website, but I'd love to get a little more detailed info if possible.

After reading through this thread I'm definitely feeling more at ease about BMQ. (Not that I'll have to worry about that for a while yet most likely, but still, good to have the info.) I'm hungry for as much relevant information as I can gather right now though. As I said, I'm fairly excited about this, but I also want to learn as much as possible before I get too far in and then realize that I've made a six-year commitment to something that's gonna make me hate myself by the end of it.

So goons, what can you tell me about being an NE TECH in the CF?

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Symbol posted:

So, I filled out the online application at forces.ca last week. I'm looking at the NCM-SEP going for Naval Electronics Technician (Sonar).

You had better not have illusions about working on state-of-the art gear. All of the sonar is at best early 1980s technology, and is likely to stay that way (see above posts, the navy does not care about ASW).

Sorry to sound negative but the navy is a bag drive and you need to know it going in. For instance, expect at least 200+ days at sea per year, on average. I think the techs have improved (cross-training to other specialties and so on) but a year or two ago Acoustics Tech was one of the most distressed trades in the entirety of the Forces.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
I'm on page 7 of this thread and intend to go through the whole thing. That said:

My Dad's got the type of connections that's allowing me to talk with a (retired) Colonel at the Beatty St. Battery in Vancouver next week. So out of curiosity I pose the question to you: what would YOU ask a Colonel? Before you enlisted, during, and after discharge?

(Pops did this because I've been thinking about joining the military for the past few months, and last week announced that I'm even more strongly considering it; I got my BA in English in 2006 and I've been out of work since February so 2-3 years commitment is welcome at this point, and my degree qualifies me for Officer school and I'm interested in management and very disciplined anyway, so why not?)

Simkin
May 18, 2007

A DEO term of service is likely going to be more like 5-7 years (mine's 9 and that's nothing special), so just a heads up on that. I mean, christ, the training alone will take you at least a year and a half, even without any sort of breaks between courses.

That said, I don't really know what you'd ask him. Maybe ask if he'd have been happier staying a career captain? :laugh:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Agent Escalus posted:

I'm on page 7 of this thread and intend to go through the whole thing. That said:

My Dad's got the type of connections that's allowing me to talk with a (retired) Colonel at the Beatty St. Battery in Vancouver next week. So out of curiosity I pose the question to you: what would YOU ask a Colonel? Before you enlisted, during, and after discharge?

(Pops did this because I've been thinking about joining the military for the past few months, and last week announced that I'm even more strongly considering it; I got my BA in English in 2006 and I've been out of work since February so 2-3 years commitment is welcome at this point, and my degree qualifies me for Officer school and I'm interested in management and very disciplined anyway, so why not?)

What trade/regiment was the Colonel and how long has he been retired?

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Not sure as I don't have that info handy but it's certainly something I was going to ask him right off the bat ("So, please tell me your story!") I think it might be Air Force and his name is Keith Maxwell, if that rings any bells for anybody. (Do you guys in the Forces have a secure searchable database of personnel or anything like that?)

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Agent Escalus posted:

Ask him if he was ever in the ranks. If he was, see how that effected how he deals with soldiers/sailors/airmen. If you're thinking about joining as an officer, ask him about the hardest choice he ever had to make that dealt with the welfare of his men, and how he ended up making that choice. Ask him if he regrets anything from his career, and if there's anything he would have done differently.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
I can't seem to reach any medical personnel at any of the recruitment centres around here, so I'll just ask you guys:

What're the admission requirements for hearing? I'm completely deaf in one ear, perfect hearing in the other. Does this disqualify me from certain positions, or admission in the forces at all?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
/\/\/\ You'd have to ask a recruiter, but I'm pretty sure Combat Arms are right out.

Agent Escalus posted:

Not sure as I don't have that info handy but it's certainly something I was going to ask him right off the bat ("So, please tell me your story!") I think it might be Air Force and his name is Keith Maxwell, if that rings any bells for anybody. (Do you guys in the Forces have a secure searchable database of personnel or anything like that?)

Talk to him about his family. Did he have any divorces? How was the regimental - or whatever air force equivalent there is - "family"? You'd be moving a lot, so it's valuable to ask someone who did it for decades how the moving affected their lives.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Hatter106 posted:

I can't seem to reach any medical personnel at any of the recruitment centres around here, so I'll just ask you guys:

What're the admission requirements for hearing? I'm completely deaf in one ear, perfect hearing in the other. Does this disqualify me from certain positions, or admission in the forces at all?

http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,55464.0.html

However in another post (http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=37674.0), he says that you need to be H2 to enrolled. You would presumably be at best an H3. I not a doc or anything though, so you should definitely continue to make efforts to talk to someone.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Just got off a 2 week C.O.'s ex, that licked balls.

Hatter106 posted:

Call 1-800-med-dent its the 24/7 CF medical question hotline, I'm sure they'll answer your questions.

My Spirit Otter fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 18, 2010

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing
Anyone else doing the army run this weekend?

Nefary
Sep 19, 2010
I am. Will be fun.

WOFOC
Nov 22, 2007

mdivi posted:

Anyone else doing the army run this weekend?

I did the 5k with some Canadian Rangers. Good times.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Did the 10k last week - is NB just so keen that they hold it a week ahead of everyone else? :confused:

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing
Just got back from it, it was tons of fun, and a new personal best! What a great event, I'll definitely be doing it yearly from now on. Perfect weather for running too.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

compressioncut posted:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,55464.0.html

However in another post (http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=37674.0), he says that you need to be H2 to enrolled. You would presumably be at best an H3. I not a doc or anything though, so you should definitely continue to make efforts to talk to someone.

Another question on this, I have lost a lot of my hearing since I've joined.. I won't have to do another medical until 2013, but what happens if i fail then?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
So I'm forced to leave the army because grad school is eating up all my free time, and my patrol commander is trying to convince me to go into supplementary reserve instead, should I do it?

what does it entail exactly?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mr.48 posted:

So I'm forced to leave the army because grad school is eating up all my free time, and my patrol commander is trying to convince me to go into supplementary reserve instead, should I do it?

Patrol commander? Are you on a patrol RIGHT NOW????

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

tuyop posted:

Patrol commander? Are you on a patrol RIGHT NOW????

No :raise:

Patrol is an organization unit in recce, the equivalent of a section in the infantry.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Mr.48 posted:

You get to not parade or anything but not actually get released from the CF. It's good for taking a break for a year or two.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

darkspir posted:

Another question on this, I have lost a lot of my hearing since I've joined.. I won't have to do another medical until 2013, but what happens if i fail then?

Probably nothing, unless maybe your trade is way over TES, like infantry, or it's so bad you can't do your job. Once you're in, they generally do their best to keep you. Enrollment standards tend to be tighter than continuing employment standards.

My father in law was a fighter pilot and his eyes went to V3, when the enrollment standard was V1, no exceptions. Yet he did an RAF exchange, flew on two demonstration teams (Warlocks and Snowbirds), Fighter Weapons Instructor, Saudi Air Force instructor and BAE contract instructor. If you can do the job it's usually not an issue.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

compressioncut posted:

Probably nothing, unless maybe your trade is way over TES, like infantry, or it's so bad you can't do your job. Once you're in, they generally do their best to keep you. Enrollment standards tend to be tighter than continuing employment standards.

It all depends on where you are. In Meaford they were ( and still are) 5D and refusing to VOT people. So they either get kicked out or are forced to leave.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
Yeah I'm infantry, if i was forced to leave i'd be pretty pissed, considering the reason i lost my hearing was from being in the infantry...

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Just talked to my unit and I'm definitely gonna go into supplementary reserve. For those who are interested, the supplementary reserve thing is just them keeping your information on file, so that if want to come back within 4 years you get to keep all your qualifications, rank, pay, etc.

You do have to fully clear out though and give back all your kit, which is a pain in the rear end I was hoping to avoid.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Mr.48 posted:

Just talked to my unit and I'm definitely gonna go into supplementary reserve. For those who are interested, the supplementary reserve thing is just them keeping your information on file, so that if want to come back within 4 years you get to keep all your qualifications, rank, pay, etc.

You do have to fully clear out though and give back all your kit, which is a pain in the rear end I was hoping to avoid.

I think I'm going to do this too. I'd be glad to get rid of my kit. I have too much of it filling up my place.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

After my talk with the (retired) Colonel, I went out to the nearest recruitment center (New Westminster.) Straight from the recruiter's mouth: there are no positions available in any area of the CF, and they're also 800 people OVER their recruitment level with next to no one leaving, totally opposite from the usual trend.

The guy at the center said he wanted to give me "the no bullshit advice" and recommended that I not apply until on or after New Year's and then hope for the best by March, when they get their budget/needs reports.

So, FYI for anyone else considering joining up!

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Agent Escalus posted:

The guy at the center said he wanted to give me "the no bullshit advice" and recommended that I not apply until on or after New Year's and then hope for the best by March, when they get their budget/needs reports.

If I were you I would start the process, even if its just filling out the paperwork. I was reenlisting as AC op, Monday there were 13 openings, by Friday there was 3. It cant hurt to get your paperwork in early, and a few days could make or break if you getting selected or not.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogat
Jan 5, 2006

Oh, I am serious. Look, this is my serious face.

Agent Escalus posted:

After my talk with the (retired) Colonel, I went out to the nearest recruitment center (New Westminster.) Straight from the recruiter's mouth: there are no positions available in any area of the CF, and they're also 800 people OVER their recruitment level with next to no one leaving, totally opposite from the usual trend.

So, FYI for anyone else considering joining up!
I was told the same thing when I went to speak with a recruiter last week. Although I decided to start my paperwork now in hopes to get the testing and interview done with as soon as I can.