Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

thefreshmaker posted:

Dumb question directed at the community in general: In a lot of your guys' photos, the sky and atmosphere look incredibly clear. Are you reducing haze in post? Or is that just from the conditions when you took the shot? If you're doing it in post, how? If it's the conditions at the time, any advice on how to predict haze-free atmosphere? Is it just humidity?
Living in a coastal area I tend to keep my polarizer on the camera for pretty much all outdoor shots. It does a fine job of cutting through (light) haze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back

thefreshmaker posted:

Dumb question directed at the community in general: In a lot of your guys' photos, the sky and atmosphere look incredibly clear. Are you reducing haze in post? Or is that just from the conditions when you took the shot? If you're doing it in post, how? If it's the conditions at the time, any advice on how to predict haze-free atmosphere? Is it just humidity?

I use a circular polarizer too. Although, shooting west off of highway 1 in the afternoon never really worked for me either. You have to get the sun above or way off to the side. I've always wanted to get out there for dawn, but never made it.

Check this out though. At high altitude, the polarizer becomes much less useful. This is at Lassen Volcanic National Park - 8,000 feet I think.

Lassen Volcanic National Park by Dan Mechanical, on Flickr

Weird, huh? It's the middle of the goddamn day. I should have taken these without the filter.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Lit tree under night sky by xxyzz road, on Flickr

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Ric posted:

It's a shame that little rock trail is so dark. It'd be hard to bring it up too much without losing the wonderful brightness contrast but the trail seems lost in anti-Goldilocks zone for brightness. Not quite bright enough but still visible. Still, a terrific shot.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

darknrgy posted:

Check this out though. At high altitude, the polarizer becomes much less useful. This is at Lassen Volcanic National Park - 8,000 feet I think.

Lassen Volcanic National Park by Dan Mechanical, on Flickr
Weird, huh? It's the middle of the goddamn day. I should have taken these without the filter.
That isn't the altitude, that's you underexposing. Polarizers can cause internal light meters to read incorrectly, which is why you always need to check your histogram or consult an external light meter when shooting with a polarizer on.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

TheLastManStanding posted:

That isn't the altitude, that's you underexposing. Polarizers can cause internal light meters to read incorrectly, which is why you always need to check your histogram or consult an external light meter when shooting with a polarizer on.

Looks more like the very light foreground that takes up most of the frame 'tricked' the cameras meter.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Lit tree under night sky by xxyzz road, on Flickr

How are you taking these ? What settings are you using?

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
The Cloud Piercer Rests

Click image(s) to view on black background.

Aoraki the Cloud Piercer (Mount Cook) imaged moments after the sun had set off the west coast of New Zealand. You can see the last light illuminating the top third of Aoraki.

I have never scampered up a mound or a hill composed of loose morraine as fast as I did this evening in the freezing cold to capture the last few rays of light bathing this almost mythical place.

Aoraki is the tallest mountain in New Zealand, standing about 3.8 km tall. I wish to climb it some day.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
1.3s f/16.0 at 40.0mm iso400

Moonrise and Field
I had never been further west across New South Wales, than, say, Wagga Wagga. However, a few weeks ago, I decided to go for a drive out to the country to see what lay there insofar as inspiring landscapes to photograph. I quickly realised that once you get passed Darlington Point along the Sturt Highway, it just gets flat. Very flat.

On this particular afternoon, it was very foggy and quite overcast. I was hoping to come across a state forest or national park where I could do some long exposure spooky and dramatic misty fog images. Fail.

Driving on, about an hour before sunset, I noticed a thin orange glow on the horizon. It was clearing. But, the problem was, that the landscape was rather uninspiring and flat.

I finally got out into clear skies as the sun began to set. Dropping speed, I frantically sought out anything I could grab and came upon this area out near Hay. The overcast conditions must have dumped quite a fair amount of rain and it went on like this for kilometres.

This is definitely far from the greatest image I've ever made, but, I'm quite fond of the Belt of Venus as it's one of my favourite subjects to image, as well as the positioning of the Moon, and the subtle colouring in the grasses in the foreground.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
5s f/16.0 at 24.0mm iso100

Comments, critique, etc., most welcome.

H

Widdershins
May 19, 2007
Not even trying

wins32767 posted:

Is this Camel's Hump by any chance?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Saint Celestine posted:

How are you taking these ? What settings are you using?

That particular shot was 15 seconds, f/1.4, ISO 1600.

The tree was painted with a flashlight.

And of course you need the dark skies. This shot was taken here. You just won't get the same amount of stars in or near a big city.

It's really a bit mind blowing what the night sky looks like without light pollution.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

octane2 posted:

I quite like the second shot. Not much going on, but the color palette is very soothing. The first one just seems off to me- it looks poorly tonemapped with lots of contrast in the foreground but not in the back; I am really surprised it's a single exposure.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Widdershins posted:

Is this Camel's Hump by any chance?

Why yes good sir, it is. Vermonter?

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Hi Cross_,

No tonemapping was applied to any of my images in this megathread.

My workflow: Digital Photo Professional for initial edits which get me about 75-80% of the way, and the final touches are applied in Photoshop.

Cheers.

H

Cross_ posted:

I quite like the second shot. Not much going on, but the color palette is very soothing. The first one just seems off to me- it looks poorly tonemapped with lots of contrast in the foreground but not in the back; I am really surprised it's a single exposure.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

octane2 posted:

Did you happen to take a shot of this with more sky? I'd like to see the full gradient of the belt.

I don't often get to see the belt of venus.. usually buildings or trees are blocking out a majority of the view.

Widdershins
May 19, 2007
Not even trying

wins32767 posted:

Why yes good sir, it is. Vermonter?

Indeed I am. I thought that scene looked familiar!

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Widdershins posted:

Indeed I am. I thought that scene looked familiar!

I shot it in Wiliston. If you look very closely you can see the interstate in between the houses and the first hill on the right.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Wasn't sure if these were 'street' or 'landscapes', but they're ending up here.

Not entirely sure I'm happy with the crop on this one. The smaller building seems an awkward distance way. I might move it around in Photoshop.

Edit: On a side note, I had planned to shoot the Millennium Tower last Monday, but at the last minute decided that getting my homework done was more important. An hour later I turned on the news to find out that Spider Dan was in mid climb on the tower. Not that I would have gotten any good pictures of him with my wide angle, but it was still :sigh:

TheLastManStanding fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 11, 2010

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
People come from all around the globe spending thousands of dollars to make this trip, the trip my girlfriend and I did in a day for the cost of a day, some rockstars and a tank of liquid dinosaur.

Denali Highway, Alaska

The Enterprise comes in camoflaged as a cloud

The glacier that generates the Susitna River

And the Great One herself-Denali (McKinley for those who studied standard geography). This summer has really sucked weatherwise, tourists who came here for a view of the mountain were cheated. Yesterday was excellent weatherwise, and the mountain was out and showing off her winter coat

So here's my question-is there a filter that will reliably cut out that haze? When the weather gets warm you get a lot of water vapor that hazes up those long views. Or is the secret in post wizardry?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gnomad posted:

So here's my question-is there a filter that will reliably cut out that haze? When the weather gets warm you get a lot of water vapor that hazes up those long views. Or is the secret in post wizardry?

A polarizing filter can help, but you have to know how to use it. Understanding Exposure explains it decently.

I'm gonna have to show those pictures to the wife.. I grew up in Anchorage, been trying to convince her that that's where we want to settle. She hates snow however, which is a big roadblock. I need to convince her that the summers are worth it.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
Convince her how awesome skiing and snowmobiling are.

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I like this a lot. The post looks a little tone-mapped to me (is it?), but it totally works for me.

Yes, single exposure tone-map. I like it as well.
Some on topic pictures from this years hunting trip:

Misty forest.

Misty morning on top of a mountain.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

I'm gonna have to show those pictures to the wife.. I grew up in Anchorage, been trying to convince her that that's where we want to settle. She hates snow however, which is a big roadblock. I need to convince her that the summers are worth it.
Yeah no one can go sledding for an afternoon and still hate snow.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah no one can go sledding for an afternoon and still hate snow.

Oh yes you can. After the 20th time shovelling out your driveway only to have the plow guy choose the exact minute you finish to dump a foot of slush into the end of the driveway snow gets really old.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wins32767 posted:

Oh yes you can. After the 20th time shovelling out your driveway only to have the plow guy choose the exact minute you finish to dump a foot of slush into the end of the driveway snow gets really old.

Slush, as if. Up in Alaska they put a barrier of solid ice across the front of your driveway, no shorter than 1 foot. That said, I'd still rather shovel off my driveway than mow the lawn. At least the winter air keeps me cool.

Anyway, content. I've been hesitant to post these (I took the pictures in July) because they were taken about a month after I got my first DSLR, and I was more or less shooting blind.

I like looking at them, but I'm not sure if they're "good". Does anyone have any specific suggestions for what I should have done?

(Three Forks, Montana)

(Yellowstone)

(Rocky Mountain National Park)

I've since been reading Understanding Exposure, so if I were able to revisit these scenes I'd probably be better equipped to deal with it. But without a time machine I can't fix these pictures.

macx
Feb 3, 2005

A few from recent trips. First three are in New Mexico and the last three are in Michigan.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

xzzy posted:

Anyway, content. I've been hesitant to post these (I took the pictures in July) because they were taken about a month after I got my first DSLR, and I was more or less shooting blind.

I like looking at them, but I'm not sure if they're "good". Does anyone have any specific suggestions for what I should have done?

(Three Forks, Montana)

(Yellowstone)

(Rocky Mountain National Park)

I've since been reading Understanding Exposure, so if I were able to revisit these scenes I'd probably be better equipped to deal with it. But without a time machine I can't fix these pictures.

Those all seem very respectable for 1 month after you got a DSLR.

#1 is a sunset, which is a very cliche shot, but this is about as good as a sunset's going to get. I probably would've tried frame a little farther down so that the mountains were nearer to the rule of thirds line. This would also get rid of some of the empty space of the top.

#2 is good. The horizon is at the midpoint of the image which is theoretically a bad thing, but it doesn't really hurt this shot IMHO. Shooting into the sun meant that you got the shadow side of those ridges in the water. I would've probably tried to flip over into landscape mode to get more of the geyser.

#3 I think you cut off the ground and got too much sky again. When I started shooting again recently I was a little too conscious of the rule of thirds and ended up taking a lot of shots that were closer to the "rule of fifths". When you shoot mountains into the sun you're going to lose a ton of definition for your mountains, but in this case the haze still gives them some depth.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

edit: Tried to edit the above post, but it ended up posting as a whole new one.

macx posted:

A few from recent trips. First three are in New Mexico and the last three are in Michigan.

The first one is a good shot, although I don't think I'd call it a landscape shot. Flickr doesn't seem to be showing what lens was used. Was I'm guessing it was the 100-400mm?

I see what you're going for in the second show, but I don't think you quite pulled it off. The skill just isn't quite dominating enough to really carry the photo with this framing, IMHO.I think getting closer with a lower focal length lens might have been a more interesting shot, but it's hard to say without seeing it.

I like the third one a lot. I like the way that the house is kind of framed between the hills.

I have no idea what I'm looking at in the fourth one.

Was the 5th one a blended exposure or HDR? something looks seriously off between the earth and sky. If the sky looked a little more natural to me I'd probably like this one a lot more.

I like the last one a lot as well, although it has just a tad bit too much water at the bottom for me.

---

I was stuck in Washington DC last week for work and am in Houston this week. I don't think there's anything interesting to photograph within a 25 miles, but maybe I'm just spoiled.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Those all seem very respectable for 1 month after you got a DSLR.

#1 is a sunset, which is a very cliche shot, but this is about as good as a sunset's going to get. I probably would've tried frame a little farther down so that the mountains were nearer to the rule of thirds line. This would also get rid of some of the empty space of the top.

Even if they're in silhouette? I have a couple dozen pictures of this particular sunset, and to my (admittedly untrained) eye, with the mountains higher in the shot, it's too much black.

I guess the "proper" solution would have been to get an image with the hills properly exposed?

quote:

#2 is good. The horizon is at the midpoint of the image which is theoretically a bad thing, but it doesn't really hurt this shot IMHO. Shooting into the sun meant that you got the shadow side of those ridges in the water. I would've probably tried to flip over into landscape mode to get more of the geyser.

I was trying to fit the sun into it.. which I suppose makes this a good place to ask. Is it "okay" to have the sun in frame? Among family and friends that photo is by far everyone's favorite of the ones I took, so clearly there's something to it, but is it a thing to avoid?

I get that lens flares are undesirable, but is it a useful creative element?

quote:

#3 I think you cut off the ground and got too much sky again. When I started shooting again recently I was a little too conscious of the rule of thirds and ended up taking a lot of shots that were closer to the "rule of fifths". When you shoot mountains into the sun you're going to lose a ton of definition for your mountains, but in this case the haze still gives them some depth.

About 5 pixels below the image was a road. Since reading Understand Exposure I've been educated that a way to improve the foreground is to get closer to the ground, but again, time machine problem.

Another part of it is I am fascinated by clouds. If you were to glance through my pictures tagged landscape.. a huge portion of my favorites feature clouds heavily. If this is bad composition, so be it, I'll probably still take the pictures, but I won't post them to the world.

I appreciate the feedback. Landscape photography interests me far more than any other type.. I want to get decent at it.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

xzzy posted:

Even if they're in silhouette? I have a couple dozen pictures of this particular sunset, and to my (admittedly untrained) eye, with the mountains higher in the shot, it's too much black.

I guess the "proper" solution would have been to get an image with the hills properly exposed?
No, you had it right. High sky shots with silhouettes like that need a bold crop. Leave only enough of the mountains to ground the image.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

xzzy posted:

I was trying to fit the sun into it.. which I suppose makes this a good place to ask. Is it "okay" to have the sun in frame? Among family and friends that photo is by far everyone's favorite of the ones I took, so clearly there's something to it, but is it a thing to avoid?
It's a bit "loud" compared to the more subtle gradients in the pictures. That's one of the things making sunsets so interesting you have this range of brightness levels instead of a single BAM -WHITE BALL OF DEATH effect.

quote:

Cover up the portion with the sun in your shot. Does it make the picture look more or less interesting? That's your answer.

quote:

Another part of it is I am fascinated by clouds. If you were to glance through my pictures tagged landscape.. a huge portion of my favorites feature clouds heavily. If this is bad composition, so be it, I'll probably still take the pictures, but I won't post them to the world.
With #3 it's not clear what you are going for. Now that you say you want clouds I would recommend framing the cloud somewhere inside the blue sky- it looks like you arbirarily cut it off at the top left corner. The clouds could also benefit from some post processing by increasing its contrast- right now its a bit flat (sun behind you would give it more dimension..) and having the bright sun further detracts from it. With not much interesting stuff happening in the sky my eyes would then wander down to the ground which is cut off and too dark (since your camera exposed for sun/clouds). So that's the difference between #1 and #3; in the first you have an exciting sky so people don't care about cropped and silhouetted mountains. In the last shot the sky is not that great so you need to provide some other elements for the viewer.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

xzzy posted:

Well, it's just my opinion, but I just feel like there's not enough silhouetted mountains to really balance the shot. That's just my guy feeling though and maybe I'd agree with you if I was looking at all the different versions. I have no problem with the fact that the mountains are silhouetted. Even if it was possible to get some detail out of the mountains it would distract from the focus of the photo.

xzzy posted:

I think it's "okay" as long as you know what it's adding or subtracting from the shot.

xzzy posted:

About 5 pixels below the image was a road. Since reading Understand Exposure I've been educated that a way to improve the foreground is to get closer to the ground, but again, time machine problem.

I appreciate the feedback. Landscape photography interests me far more than any other type.. I want to get decent at it.

Clouds are freaking awesome and typically add a ton to the show. Try to imagine Ric's photo at the top of the page without the clouds. It would lose a ton. A lot of people (myself included) take shots of dramatic skies just so they can composite them into a shot with a boring (no cloud) sky later.

I think you're doing really well. I love landscapes as well and have memories going back to childhood of my dad introducing me to Ansel Adams as well as watching that dude on PBS paint his "happy trees" just because I loved exploring his landscapes.

big cheese
Apr 29, 2009

Tintern on t'internet
Well, they're rocks, just not sure how sexy they are.

Carbocation
Sep 2, 2006

big cheese posted:

Well, they're rocks, just not sure how sexy they are.

I like it, kind of abstract. Almost mistook it for a macro shot of an ice cream dessert.

Crossposted from SAD:

macx
Feb 3, 2005

BeastOfExmoor posted:

The first one is a good shot, although I don't think I'd call it a landscape shot. Flickr doesn't seem to be showing what lens was used. Was I'm guessing it was the 100-400mm?
Not technically, but hey, there is a landscape in it! Yes, that was the 100-400.

quote:

I see what you're going for in the second show, but I don't think you quite pulled it off. The skill just isn't quite dominating enough to really carry the photo with this framing, IMHO.I think getting closer with a lower focal length lens might have been a more interesting shot, but it's hard to say without seeing it.
I would have loved a wider angle, but I didn't feel like carrying it in the backcountry. You take the shot with the lens you have. I had a 100-400 and a 24-70 on that trip. I also didn't feel like moving the other bones that were scattered around out of the frame because I'm lazy (and clean) like that, and I wanted a simple subject. Oh well, it's a cliche shot anyway.

quote:

I like the third one a lot. I like the way that the house is kind of framed between the hills.
Thank you.

quote:

I have no idea what I'm looking at in the fourth one.
#4 is a milkweed pod. People who like Monarch butterflies should be able to spot these.

quote:

Was the 5th one a blended exposure or HDR? something looks seriously off between the earth and sky. If the sky looked a little more natural to me I'd probably like this one a lot more.
Believe it or not, there is no blended exposure or HDR involved. That was shooting right in to the sun, so there was some post-prod work to pull the exposure back on the top half.

quote:

I like the last one a lot as well, although it has just a tad bit too much water at the bottom for me.
I can see what you are saying with the water, but I did like that aspect ratio. I didn't want more sky, and I personally kind of liked the "lighthouse in the environment it protects" kind of framing.

Thank you for your feedback! I am certainly not a pro by any stretch, so constructive comments are much appreciated.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

PAD crossprost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01