Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death's Head
Mar 26, 2003

I think this is a pretty complete reflection of my collection. Some are for myself and some for other reasons :-) I think its a real mixed bag.
Updated to add most of the discs I'd missed. Its frustrating that I have 2 Japanese blurays that aren't in their database. It would be great if they had a way to add missing ones.

Death's Head fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 13, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is there a release date for Inception yet? I still haven't seen this movie and really want to. :(

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Early December as far as I know.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rumor is December 7.

Vigilante reviewed. That's got to be one of the best-looking 80's films on BD.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.

Space_Butler posted:

Some retailers have received a pre-order listing for a standalone Spider-Man blu-ray, set for November 16. No word yet on if it's the barebones release found in the trilogy set, just released separately, or if they re-added all of the extras. Hopefully if it's the latter, they also spruced up the transfer. The copy I have looked very flat and drab.

The extras will be included, so that might be an indication that the transfer will be redone as well.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
I think Spider-Man's disc size was about 32GB, so there's probably enough room to include the extras and just recycle the transfer...

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The packaging for The Office season 6 is a nightmare. It's only a matter of time before I snap one of those discs trying to get it out.

I also hate the way Universal authors their Blu-Rays, always with the same lovely collapsing menus that go "bzzzzzzzp" and useless "BD Live" geegaws.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Iron Man 2 is $15 at walmart.com for whoever is interested:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/14894256?povid=cat616859-env256652-module261256-rLink2

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
For anybody who hasn't heard yet, Firefly: The Complete Series is Amazon's Deal Of The Day today. $26.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EN71CW?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001EN71CW

Cheapest it has ever been and a great upgrade for the price.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Sporadic posted:

For anybody who hasn't heard yet, Firefly: The Complete Series is Amazon's Deal Of The Day today. $26.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EN71CW?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001EN71CW

Thanks, I got this as fast as I could :D. I've had Serenity forever, yet no Firefly.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Sporadic posted:

Was just about to come and post this.

Totally snatched that poo poo up, I've been meaning to watch Firefly for so long.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Toy Story Trilogy:

http://www.amazon.com/Story-Trilogy-10-Disc-Blu-ray-Digital/dp/B003YUC2FE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1284321177&sr=8-1

That actually looks kind of neat, and the price isn't too bad, but I think I'll stick with my individual releases.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

doctor thodt posted:

Toy Story Trilogy:

http://www.amazon.com/Story-Trilogy-10-Disc-Blu-ray-Digital/dp/B003YUC2FE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1284321177&sr=8-1

That actually looks kind of neat, and the price isn't too bad, but I think I'll stick with my individual releases.

That's a lot of discs. It'd be nice if that got a UK release.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

doctor thodt posted:

Toy Story Trilogy:

What are the three extra discs? Digital copies of each film?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

doctor thodt posted:

Toy Story Trilogy:

For some reason, while I haven't been able to bring myself to buy them individually for $20 apiece, I find the prospect of buying the trilogy for $65 a lot more palatable. Completely illogical but oh well.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Criminal Minded posted:

For some reason, while I haven't been able to bring myself to buy them individually for $20 apiece, I find the prospect of buying the trilogy for $65 a lot more palatable. Completely illogical but oh well.

Because you don't get Andy's loving toychest when you order them separately.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I guess I'll just tell myself it was better to pay $10 for each disc instead of having that

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've seen a couple people say that Wal-Mart will have an exclusive version of Se7en in a regular case $20, so you heathens who aren't into digibooks might want to look into that.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
For those wanting to get Toy Story 3, who have 3D tv's, theres a rumor and a mysterious listing on Amazon that may indicate a 3d 4-disc release in December. So if any of you were planning on getting it in 3d blu-ray, you may want to be aware of the potential double dip. Don't know why they'd release the 3d edition a month later, but I'm not Disney.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Do you find it odd that Funzo (or whatever his name is, the big pink bear) is featured so prominently? Stinky Pete didn't get that kind of press coverage.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

doctor thodt posted:

Oh neat, so basically it's just a question of when QT gets off his rear end and puts the whole thing together for Sony? I wonder what it was that prompted them to release the complete Grindhouse, and if/when they'll find the same motivation to give us TWBA.

I'm still bitter that the Cloris Leachman deleted scene wasn't included on the Inglourious Basterds blu-ray.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

doctor thodt posted:

Iron Man 2 is $15 at walmart.com for whoever is interested:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/14894256?povid=cat616859-env256652-module261256-rLink2

What the gently caress, Iron Man 1 still runs $30 at my local Wal-Mart. It's kept me off buying it. I'll spend $30 for both, but not for just one.

Looking forward to picking them up, but now's not the time. Hope the price on it stays reasonable 'til payday :)

I picked up Labyrinth on your suggestion, and I am very pleased, hell of a job on the transfer. Not that I doubted your expertise in matters BD.

I went out on a limb and nabbed Lost Boys and 2001 at the same time because they were just $10. Lost Boys was alright, pretty much a standard transfer as far as I could tell, not a lot of detail obscuring DNR or whatever but also not really taking full advantage of what BD can deliver; it was actually surprisingly inconsistent in quality, and I felt there were some color issues at parts, too. All the extras are there, which is cool, though in standard definition so just copied over from the DVD. It is definitely still a really fun movie, regardless, and an upgrade from the DVD for sure.

I haven't watched 2001 yet. It's one of my favorite films ever, definitely top two Kubrick as well; will it be as rewarding of a watch as I hope on BD? If 2001 was botched I am going to :qq:

I picked up The Terminator and Terminator 2: Judgment Day recently as well. I'm not totally sold on the transfers there, but I wasn't watching especially critically since I haven't seen the movies in some time and they're still a treat, it was just nice to see Cameron back when he was hungry. Anything I should be aware of quality-wise with them? It just seemed like there was suspiciously little grain considering the source material.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

In surprising news, Amazon UK cancelled my £8.49 order for "Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series [Blu-ray] [2009]" :)

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?

Agreed posted:

I picked up The Terminator and Terminator 2: Judgment Day recently as well. I'm not totally sold on the transfers there, but I wasn't watching especially critically since I haven't seen the movies in some time and they're still a treat, it was just nice to see Cameron back when he was hungry. Anything I should be aware of quality-wise with them? It just seemed like there was suspiciously little grain considering the source material.

If you liked them why are you going looking for problems with it, who cares what others said. And 2001 is excellent.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Space_Butler posted:

For those wanting to get Toy Story 3, who have 3D tv's, theres a rumor and a mysterious listing on Amazon that may indicate a 3d 4-disc release in December. So if any of you were planning on getting it in 3d blu-ray, you may want to be aware of the potential double dip. Don't know why they'd release the 3d edition a month later, but I'm not Disney.
That's great news if true. What I really want is a box set with 3D versions of all three movies, since I thought the 3D re-releases of the first two looked really good.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Traxxus posted:

If you liked them why are you going looking for problems with it, who cares what others said. And 2001 is excellent.

Wal-Mart has a history of blowing out poor transfers that later get replaced by better ones, so I'm a bit wary of the price on these. I got one in a pack with Universal Soldier for ten bucks total. I care about picture quality, and he's had experience with practically everything that CAN be owned on Blu-Ray, so in passing I figured I'd ask him.

Thanks for the answer regarding 2001. Looking forward to seeing it, and also to showing it to my wife for the first time.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
WB's catalog titles like 2001 (I think) and The Searchers were re-released with lower MSRPs, so they are often sold at rock bottom prices.

Shalkore
Oct 11, 2007

Welcome to 2012!
Here's Beaver's review of Thin Red Line

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews37/thin_red_line.htm

Hot drat!!

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shalkore posted:

Here's Beaver's review of Thin Red Line

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews37/thin_red_line.htm

Hot drat!!

It's pretty crazy that they managed to squeeze over 5 hours of 1080p video onto a single BD-50 and still have it look as good as it does. Bravo, Criterion.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
With high-profile releases such as Glee, Se7en, Charade, Breathless, Prince of Persia, etc coming out tomorrow, everyone seems to be forgetting the most important one:

The Bloodsport/Timecop double feature :rock:

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

doctor thodt posted:

It's pretty crazy that they managed to squeeze over 5 hours of 1080p video onto a single BD-50 and still have it look as good as it does. Bravo, Criterion.

The main feature takes up 37GB of the disc. Remember the days of HD-DVD when many people would argue 30GB was plenty?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

frumpsnake posted:

The main feature takes up 37GB of the disc. Remember the days of HD-DVD when many people would argue 30GB was plenty?

Because it can be? The war is over, but just because studios are using all the space doesn't mean it's automatically a better image - there's a point of diminishing returns at which the quality difference becomes imperceptible. There's bad transfers that use 35GB+ too.

(Before anybody starts going crazy, BR won, I like BR, take a deep breath.)

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

To clarify, I agree with you -- I was referring to a number of people sperging on other forums and arguing that Criterion should have added a second disc because the bitrate is just too low. Bullshit.

My point was that you can get a full "HD-DVD quailty" 30GB feature on a BD-50 and still have 2/3rds of that left over for the extras. Lower the quality on the extras and you can go further. It shouldn't be that much of a surprise that you can fit 5 of HD video that looks good, especially with ever-improving encoders.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 13, 2010

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
The extras can, and are, given rear end-low encodes as their video fidelity isn't nearly as important. People are throwing "5 hours of HD video" around like all 5 of those hours need top notch 30 mbps+ encodes - not so.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know that, but it's an impressive disc nonetheless.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

TheDigitalBits reports that Trumbull's 2001 documentary just got nixed. :(

While the current Blu is fantastic, one idea is to make a "companion" release with the documentary and some other featuress. For example, there's an Arthur C. Clarke interview that was on the old MGM DVD. The deleted scenes exist in Turner's archives in 65mm color separations, which could finally be transferred to 1080p.

Kind of sucks WB isn't giving it a go considering it would have been a great idea.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Speaking of Kubrick, I'm thinking about ditching my Kubrick boxset and upgrading them all to blu-ray.

Are there any plans for a standalone blu-ray release of A Life in Pictures?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jay Dub posted:

Speaking of Kubrick, I'm thinking about ditching my Kubrick boxset and upgrading them all to blu-ray.

Are there any plans for a standalone blu-ray release of A Life in Pictures?

No word of one yet but WB is preparing to release a Kubrick boxset next year with Lolita and Barry Lyndon. If A Life In Pictures has an HD source, it's possible they could include it in the boxset.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Here we go again: American Beauty is riddled with edge enhancement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
More Breathless screencaps, it looks stunning, yay criterion etc whatever.

Egbert Souse posted:

TheDigitalBits reports that Trumbull's 2001 documentary just got nixed. :(

D:

• Locked thread