Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Arriviste posted:

If that is what you're asking, Starpluck, see Forum Invasion in the SAclopedia. (Just happened to run across the topic yesterday.)

Since this is the small questions thread, Arriviste do you use some kind of weird WYSIWYG editor to post on SA? From your post history, all your links are bolded or italicized, you use [super] and [sub] tags moe than a normal human should, and you even use citation notes on some of your posts.

What I'm saying is, are you infact Wikipedia.org posting as a goon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BorderPatrol posted:

Since this is the small questions thread, Arriviste do you use some kind of weird WYSIWYG editor to post on SA? From your post history, all your links are bolded or italicized, you use [super] and [sub] tags moe than a normal human should, and you even use citation notes on some of your posts.

SALR lets you easily do all the markup, if that's what you're after.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

BorderPatrol posted:

Heh. No, I'm just too :spergin: particular about formatting and have used BBcode and other markup for quite some time. I hope my messages are clear, if not consistent. When I post links, I tend to write them in bold text so that, if nothing else, a reader will get at least that much from a TL;DR message from me. I italicized SAclopedia not because it was a link; rather, because it is a body of work. :eng101: [Sub] tags I use because we can't change text size and I prefer to downplay my asides or editing explanations. :words:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What is a good cord lock (don't know if Kensington is the only provider) for my laptop? I want maximum security without having to pay extra for brands who are just milking it.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Arriviste posted:

I use Focus Booster.

edit for detail: Focus Booster alternates between two consecutive timers and is designed with Pomodoro in mind. The default session and break times are 25/5 and one can adjust the length of either timer. It works with or without sound and the bar representing time shifts color as the countdown progresses. Works on Mac/Win/Linux or can run from one's browser. All versions are free.

That's fantastic, just what I was looking for, thanks!

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Xanin posted:

That's fantastic, just what I was looking for, thanks!

You're welcome! :v:

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
The cushions come off of my sectional sofa. A dog I'm dogsitting decided he would like to piss on one of them.

Since I can take them off, where can I take them to get the urine and eventual canine murder blood to be removed? I know that carpet cleaning companies can do it, but their prices are a massive rip off.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Just do it yourself with Nature's Miracle. Ideally you want to keep the area moist with the stuff for as long as possible-- you can try tying the cushions you've soaked with NM in large plastic trash bags to keep them wet longer. You basically let them soak and reapply until there's no more scent.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Yeah, I've done that, there's still a spot though, it's microfiber or something.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Ohhhhhh, my mistake, you mean for stains, not for smell. :downs:

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
I know the dimensions of mattresses and box springs are basically standardized in terms of the width and length, but what about height? If I build something with the current height of my mattress and box spring in mind, will I possibly be screwed later if I get a different mattress?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

yes, the height of mattresses vary wildly. I replaced mine recently, and the two choices (both kings) were 10 inches and 22 inches, respectively.

Christ Puncher
Aug 23, 2007

You can buy low-profile box springs/foundations to offset the height difference if you get a thicker mattress. If you go to a mattress manufacturer, chances are that they will be able to build you something to the height you need.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

FogHelmut posted:

I lived above smokers for 2 years. You can eliminate the existing smoke all you want, but as long as more smoke is coming in, you're pretty much screwed.

I bought an ionizer/HEPA filtration unit on craigslist last night. I had it cranking on low all day and when I came home from work the smell had nearly dissipated. I'm gonna leave it on high tomorrow and see what kind of difference it makes.

It's already been worth it to me because before using it I could still smell stale cigarette hours after being inside; that's no longer the case. If it bothers you as much as it does me, I highly recommend looking into one.

I managed to snag this unit for $60 on CL. Hopefully you get as lucky as I did, living near smokers sucks.

| Thanks for the tip!
V

dayman fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 14, 2010

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Glad it worked. I was amazed how well the one I had worked. (in a place where people were actively smoking)

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Does anyone know of a place, online or in NYC area, where I can sell Japanese-language manga? Obviously I'm trying SAmart and I'll try eBay next, but failing that, I'd like to have some options lined up. Any big anime forum that has a sales section would be great, too... I just don't know where the happening anime places are on the internet anymore :P

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone got a recommendation for a beginner bicycle to be used mainly for exercise and a few trips around town per week? Hopefully a hybrid or equivalent in case I want to take it down some of the easier trails around here, and one that won't break the bank. All the bikes I test feel okay, but there's no real way to test the durability and long-term comfort. I was kinda looking at either a Giant Sedona or a Fuji Crosstown 4.0, any problems with those?

I would ask in the bicycle megathread, but long story short they're not very helpful over there for regular folks.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
Can a swollen eye socket be an early symptom of a sinus infection or cold? My eye doctor says that can't be related and is convinced that I have allergies (I have no history of such). His explanation also does not account for the head cold that I now have.

I'd have posted in TGD, but I figured it wasn't worth its own thread.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Raimundus posted:

Can a swollen eye socket be an early symptom of a sinus infection or cold? My eye doctor says that can't be related and is convinced that I have allergies (I have no history of such). His explanation also does not account for the head cold that I now have.

Allergies can develop throughout your life, and it is possible that you are exposed to an allergen that you haven't been before. Likewise, it is still possible that the headcold is allergy-related.

I have sinus issues and often get infections, and a swollen eye is never something that happens to me.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

Mak0rz posted:

Allergies can develop throughout your life, and it is possible that you are exposed to an allergen that you haven't been before. Likewise, it is still possible that the headcold is allergy-related.

I have sinus issues and often get infections, and a swollen eye is never something that happens to me.

The swollen socket is new to me, too, which is why I first went to the eye doctor. The more it developed, though, the more it felt like a sinus infection. The doctor refused to entertain the possibility of a connection.

Right now my head is pounding and I have a minor cough. I will solve this with orange juice and sleep.

Raimundus fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 14, 2010

RGBRIOT
Apr 19, 2009

"Beauty, packaged for a digital world."

dayman posted:

I bought an ionizer/HEPA filtration unit on craigslist last night. I had it cranking on low all day and when I came home from work the smell had nearly dissipated. I'm gonna leave it on high tomorrow and see what kind of difference it makes.

I managed to snag this unit for $60 on CL. Hopefully you get as lucky as I did, living near smokers sucks.

Putting charcoal in some open tins around the house can help alleviate odors as well... but thats more of a long term type of thing and won't help you deal with the actual smoke. (Like if you were going to leave your house for a week and didn't want to leave the ionizer on the whole time.) We used to keep some in our basement because of the smell of smoke and occasional mildew, and it worked pretty well. Definitely not as well as your unit will, but it's something for those occasions where you may be out of town for awhile. Way better than vinegar, thats for sure.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Is there a cheaper way to get push email on the iphone? Or maybe a service that sends a text message when I have a new email so I know to check my email.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
Has anyone figured out where to recycle electronics (right now I'm looking at a broken DVD player, printer, modem and scanner)? Yeah sure OfficeMax will sell me a recycle box for $10. How harmful is it to just throw that stuff in the trash? There are defintely more resources for disposing of cell phones or mp3s players and stuff with rare metal batteries and more toxic components. But this stuff is largely just optics, metal and plastic casing.

Fire In the Disco I see you rattling around in this thread, if you know a local place that'll do it, all the better.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Sep 14, 2010

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Is anyone else getting popup ads on the forums? It's quite annoying. I emailed support a few days ago but it's still happening, I'm not sure how long it'd take to fix.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Raimundus posted:

I'd have posted in TGD, but I figured it wasn't worth its own thread.

This is EXACTLY the description of the allergies I get. I never had them before, but last year I had some minor issues (runny/stuffy nose for 2 weeks) and this year I got the whole collection (runny/stuffy nose, sinus pressure, itchy eyes, swollen eye socket, cold-like symptoms, and oh god so much more). I thought it was weird that I suddenly had issues, but after asking around I heard the same scenario happened to a few other people I know.

Simple test: take some allergy medicine of your choice and if it helps, well, there's your answer.

Pogo the Clown fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 14, 2010

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Are there any freeware/shareware programs that you can use to edit or split .mov files on windows without converting them to another format, or are you stuck buying Quicktime pro?

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Danger Mahoney posted:

Anyone got a recommendation for a beginner bicycle to be used mainly for exercise and a few trips around town per week? Hopefully a hybrid or equivalent in case I want to take it down some of the easier trails around here, and one that won't break the bank. All the bikes I test feel okay, but there's no real way to test the durability and long-term comfort. I was kinda looking at either a Giant Sedona or a Fuji Crosstown 4.0, any problems with those?

I would ask in the bicycle megathread, but long story short they're not very helpful over there for regular folks.

Between those two, I would go with the Sedona. Bikes like the Crosstown, with that step-through frame, are heavy. You'll wish you'd bought something lighter the first time you hit a hill. As for whether either of those is a good buy, that really depends on how much you think you'll use it. They're entry level bikes with low-end parts. They'll get the job done, so long as you aren't putting serious miles on them.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Danger Mahoney posted:

Here's my general take on bicycles: You can buy a $100 bike at Walmart that you can ride. It will not be put together right (sometimes hilariously/dangerously so), and no one there can fix it. You will be paying someone at an actual bike shop to fix it if you actually use it.

You can buy a $200.00 bike at a bike shop that is assembled correctly, and comes with a 30 day tuneup (bikes need this because lots of things on bikes like all the cabling can really only be stretched by use, and need adjusting once they are broken in).

As to which bike, just buy whatever the local bike shop recommends. Let your body tell you how it feels and then add that to whatever they are saying. You will need a shop to do the adjustments/maintenance, so just buy what the local shop sells. The shop is the only place that has any real concentration of local riders, and local conditions will affect more about which bike is good than anything else.

Maintenance, Adjustment, and Fit are an order of magnitude more important than brand with a bicycle, so brand does not really matter. Buy what your local shop sells.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Xanin posted:

Is anyone else getting popup ads on the forums? It's quite annoying. I emailed support a few days ago but it's still happening, I'm not sure how long it'd take to fix.

You might want to run a scan for adware on your computer, or try a different browser and see if it happens there.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Eggplant Wizard posted:

You might want to run a scan for adware on your computer, or try a different browser and see if it happens there.
Nah there's a banner ad that's doing it. Not sure which. I get it in Firefox on a mac. Firefox blocks the popup, obviously.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

kapalama posted:

Here's my general take on bicycles: You can buy a $100 bike at Walmart that you can ride. It will not be put together right (sometimes hilariously/dangerously so), and no one there can fix it. You will be paying someone at an actual bike shop to fix it if you actually use it.

You can buy a $200.00 bike at a bike shop that is assembled correctly, and comes with a 30 day tuneup (bikes need this because lots of things on bikes like all the cabling can really only be stretched by use, and need adjusting once they are broken in).

As to which bike, just buy whatever the local bike shop recommends. Let your body tell you how it feels and then add that to whatever they are saying. You will need a shop to do the adjustments/maintenance, so just buy what the local shop sells. The shop is the only place that has any real concentration of local riders, and local conditions will affect more about which bike is good than anything else.

Maintenance, Adjustment, and Fit are an order of magnitude more important than brand with a bicycle, so brand does not really matter. Buy what your local shop sells.

Also the local place might do better than 30 days of maintenance depending on where you buy it, for instance I just bought a new bike and the shop is giving me a year of free service with it.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wyatt posted:

Between those two, I would go with the Sedona. Bikes like the Crosstown, with that step-through frame, are heavy. You'll wish you'd bought something lighter the first time you hit a hill. As for whether either of those is a good buy, that really depends on how much you think you'll use it. They're entry level bikes with low-end parts. They'll get the job done, so long as you aren't putting serious miles on them.

kapalama posted:

Thanks guys! My local bike shop (only the one, it's a small town) sells mostly Giant, Trek, and Jamis with smattering of others thrown in. I would absolutely love to go with their recommendations, but the owner/manager is usually the only one in there and he is incredibly dismissive when you're looking at entry-level bikes. He is insistent that I will not be happy with anything below around $1500, and is kinda "take your pick they're all the same" when I gravitate toward the sub-$500 bikes. Hell, the whole mess is even more confusing when the goddamn K-Mart special (Schwinn Midmoor) is the Consumer Reports best buy.

I would like to use the local bike shop, since they give six months free tune-ups and limited repairs. When I go to the bike shop again, is there anything I should be looking for when I take the things for a ride? They all seem to feel okay to me, I guess since I'm so inexperienced. Anything that I will probably overlook that I will be thankful for later?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

CatchrNdRy posted:

Has anyone figured out where to recycle electronics (right now I'm looking at a broken DVD player, printer, modem and scanner)? Yeah sure OfficeMax will sell me a recycle box for $10. How harmful is it to just throw that stuff in the trash? There are defintely more resources for disposing of cell phones or mp3s players and stuff with rare metal batteries and more toxic components. But this stuff is largely just optics, metal and plastic casing.

Fire In the Disco I see you rattling around in this thread, if you know a local place that'll do it, all the better.

It would help if we knew where you lived in able to find a local recycling place.

Around here in Southern California, I have 3 or 4 e-waste recycling centers in a 5 mile radius, all free. California charges a recycling fee on things like LCD monitors at time of purchase though so there are plenty of places to take advantage of that program.

Usually Googling "ewaste recycling + yourcity" should get some results.

Xanin posted:

Who did you email about the ads? From QCS:

quote:

lovely ADS: If you have a problem with an advertisement using lovely popups or other messed-up advertising methods, please email our ad guy directly at sroberts@somethingawful.com. This is by far the fastest way for us to act on the ad. The dude literally just sits at his desk every single day, staring at his inbox, waiting for you to report a bad ad. In fact, he's looking forward to hearing from you! Please, don't forget to mention what you're wearing! (There's no need to post threads about bad ads, our guy will take care of it.)

Last time I emailed him I got a reply within a few hours.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

CatchrNdRy posted:

He (we) lives in Tucson. I don't have any ideas, sorry. :(

Fire In The Disco fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 14, 2010

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

BorderPatrol posted:

Who did you email about the ads? From QCS:

Last time I emailed him I got a reply within a few hours.

Yeah I emailed that address. Didn't get a reply and still getting ads.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Danger Mahoney posted:

He is insistent that I will not be happy with anything below around $1500, and is kinda "take your pick they're all the same" when I gravitate toward the sub-$500 bikes... When I go to the bike shop again, is there anything I should be looking for when I take the things for a ride? They all seem to feel okay to me, I guess since I'm so inexperienced. Anything that I will probably overlook that I will be thankful for later?

While he is completely wrong about the quality of sub-$1500 bikes (my $900 Trek has served me well for thousands of miles and several competitive races), he is not too far off when he says that entry level bikes are all the same. The quality of individual components accounts for the various tiers of bike prices. The bikes you are looking at definitely have low-end components. But this doesn't mean the bike won't serve you well. What it could mean is more frequent tune-ups and eventually needing to replace failing components. But that would be after a long time of continual use. If you're just a casual rider, that range of bikes is fine.

As for what to look for, the lighter the frame the better, and the skinnier the tires the better. These two factors will have the greatest impact on your speed, and the greatest overall impact on how much you enjoy riding the bike. If you're shopping hybrids, they obviously won't be as nimble as a road bike. But you can still steer clear of beach cruiser style bikes that are just painfully heavy and slow.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
What's that website that allows you to search all Craigslist postings in the world?

As I recall you have to download some sort of cookie to your system so CL doesn't IP ban you.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Can someone explain this quote to me?

"Why, you may take the most gallant sailor, the most intrepid airman or the most audacious soldier, put them at a table together - what do you get? The sum of their fears."

jeremiah johnson
Nov 3, 2007
http://www.pima.gov/deq/waste/householdhaz.html

First result for "pima county hazardous waste disposal"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Can anyone recommend a good online tobacco store? I'm trying to find Bali rolling tobacco and can't find it in any stores. When I search online I find a bunch of online stores selling it, but I don't trust them.