Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

ease posted:

How did they get the frames to line up with two different cameras? Is it just too small of a difference to notice?

A beam splitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

DaNzA posted:

A beam splitter.

Imagine light is 4 cubes on the edge of a cliff.

grayscale
Feb 27, 2009

ease posted:

How did they get the frames to line up with two different cameras? Is it just too small of a difference to notice?

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm picturing two 5Ds stacked on top of each other. Doesn't really make sense.

Edit:

dunkman posted:

Imagine light is 4 cubes on the edge of a cliff.

My mind just got blown.

grayscale fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 10, 2010

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Probably something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX7ybS7fnow

Just without the offset for 3D.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Ive never realised how many drat jewish holidays they are until I started buying stuff from B&H. Its like every second day they have a holiday.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

dunkman posted:

HDR Video a reality?

http://www.sovietmontage.com/2010/09/09/hdr-video-a-reality/

The dude looks weird, but the city shot actually looks cool.

I actually like shadows and darkness in images and video, this just destroys them.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Helmacron posted:

I just have to say I don't believe I'm wasting my time compiling the largest possible image I can get from a set of photos because even if they will not work right now, they will certainly work some time in the future and I will have them for perpetuity.

Yes one day in the future when the average human eye can tell the difference between 300dpi and 1500dpi. How's that working out for you Warren Ellis?

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I just got promoted at work to Executive Director of Photography not really and I need some help with software for working with all of the photos we take.

Well, more like my boss finally realized that photos are a really important part of Community Management, and after some huge successes using the T2i we bought at trade shows, totally one upping every one else with picture quality, they're letting me price out some software to work with pictures.

I use Lightroom at home, and that's absolutely on the list, but they want "a couple more options and prices" on things, and I really don't know of others. Do you guys use anything else other than LR that is a one-stop-shop for photo editing/batching/watermarking?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Fists Up posted:

Ive never realised how many drat jewish holidays they are until I started buying stuff from B&H. Its like every second day they have a holiday.

It's funny you mention this, but I must have the worst luck. I don't click on B&H very often, but whenever I do it's closed for some reason. I honestly think it's been open like twice in all the time I've ever clicked through.

dunkman posted:

I use Lightroom at home, and that's absolutely on the list, but they want "a couple more options and prices" on things, and I really don't know of others. Do you guys use anything else other than LR that is a one-stop-shop for photo editing/batching/watermarking?

I guess Bridge + Photoshop come close but not really. Also if he wants options then price out a Mac Mini + Aperture and all of a sudden Lightroom is ridiculously inexpensive :haw:

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

dunkman posted:

I just got promoted at work to Executive Director of Photography not really and I need some help with software for working with all of the photos we take.

Well, more like my boss finally realized that photos are a really important part of Community Management, and after some huge successes using the T2i we bought at trade shows, totally one upping every one else with picture quality, they're letting me price out some software to work with pictures.

don't tell them about gimp because they'll just make you use that :(

robertdx
Mar 15, 2005

Lens slap
Not sure what Community Management is but if is the type of corporate photography stuff with lots of different people in tons of shots then Photo Mechanic might be a good idea. I've never used it but I've heard the tags and stuff can make writing captions and managing metadata easier, which might be useful.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

I HATE CARS posted:

Yes one day in the future when the average human eye can tell the difference between 300dpi and 1500dpi. How's that working out for you Warren Ellis?

Transmetropolitan reference?

More like one day in the future when I print off my photos at 2m x 1m for an exhibition, which is my dream, I want my photos to be viewable from 5cm to 5m. This is the source of my artistic boner, resolution.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Helmacron posted:

More like one day in the future when I print off my photos at 2m x 1m for an exhibition, which is my dream, I want my photos to be viewable from 5cm to 5m. This is the source of my artistic boner, resolution.

Warren Ellis is big into transhumanism and other strange stuff.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have a good app/solution to viewing contacts on flickr? The more people I add, the fewer of their pictures I actually see.

robertdx
Mar 15, 2005

Lens slap
I wish Flickr would let you group people, half of the contacts I have I can't remember why I added them as a contact...

Helmacron, do you just use Photoshop for your panos, or some other fancy software?

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

Helmacron posted:

The point is, 300dpi is fine for even up close, as long as they don't have a loupe with them. Aren't you upscaling to get the 1.4k dpi res?

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

stizu posted:

The point is, 300dpi is fine for even up close, as long as they don't have a loupe with them. Aren't you upscaling to get the 1.4k dpi res?

I gave up a page back in trying to achieve the 1400dpi because like everyone said, that is insane. Also, to note, I can't actually make most panoramas that big unless I go out and retake them with (maybe) an 85mm. But I am still recompiling all my photos to their maximum possible size because I haven't had the opportunity to do it on a good computer previously and I've just bought a Macbook Pro.

robertdx, I use manfrotto 303sph in field with jerry-rigged welded vice grips and clamps and stuff, (or just a plain old tripod), and on the computer I use PTGui for everything up to the finished compiled image. Then Photoshop for the filter loving.

Helmacron fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 12, 2010

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Bahahaha I just had the weirdest, nearly terrifying experience. Shooting a soccer game from behind/to the side of the goal, with less then 10 minutes left, and the sprinklers come on out of nowhere. Including one directly to the left of me, six inches a way. It shot a direct stream straight over the top of the 400 I was borrowing. If I hadn't have been sitting, it would have nailed it and drenched the poor thing! This is why sports photographers shoot from the ground. :)

It led to some fun pictures of kids playing in the sprinklers with confused soccer players standing around the field as some poor ops guy figured out how to turn them off. Wonder who's getting fired tomorrow?

(I'm about to hit the road, but I'm sharing these silly sprinkler pics later whether you like it or not.)

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

That 400 is pretty heavily weathersealed though no?

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Fists Up posted:

That 400 is pretty heavily weathersealed though no?

Sure, but not enough not to make me nervous about being directly blasted by a sprinkler a foot away. Yikes.

e: Proof, motherfuckers! The most exciting part by far of the pitiful 4-0 loss :(

apsrinkler1 by RMK86, on Flickr

apsrinkler2 by RMK86, on Flickr

I realize now I wasted way too much time making sure gear was actually safe and not nearly enough shooting the mayhem that the sprinklers caused. I got like five frames, obviously none of them particularly engaging. Womp womp. Next time?

BobTheCow fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Sep 12, 2010

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
It would have been more exciting looking if the spriklers shot out fire instead of water.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
You have to wonder, does anyone actually aspire to do what these photographers do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoXi0sUMBvE

I mean, even if it paid well would you really want to harass people this much? They're all such dicks!

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
I could never do that. Same goes for everything TMZ does. I don't get why anyone watches those fools asking celebrities retarded questions while they shop for groceries. 'Paparazzi' was a decent film that kind of covered that subject in an over the top Hollywood way. Was worth the watch.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

Mannequin posted:

You have to wonder, does anyone actually aspire to do what these photographers do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoXi0sUMBvE

I mean, even if it paid well would you really want to harass people this much? They're all such dicks!

How much did that guy get for the first photo of Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt together?

Does anybody know the approximate worth of a photograph of Kate Moss attacking a photographer? They're assholes, sure, but what people would do for money... I think I'd do it. The only issue I could possibly see is maybe if you believed in some sort of karmic religious ideal.

Or if you're one of those guys who internalize their self-hatred and stow it in that organ that digests grass that we don't use any more and sometimes ruptures when you swallow toothbrush hairs.

EDIT: appendix

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Get people to stop being interested in people at the drat airport or doing some shopping.

I have now watched a whole bunch of paparazzi youtube videos after watching that....its really bizaare.

Hugh Grants ones are pretty good.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I'm not sure whats worse, the photographers harassing here that bad with her child present or her using her child as a battering ram.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005
Another fun eBay experience, buying a 'Zuiko 55mm lens' which I assumed to be the only 55mm Zuiko ever made, with an aperture of 1.2.

In fact, just a standard 50/1.8. I wrote to ask why it was listed as 55mm.

ebay person posted:

If you do not want it, send it back and i will refund you the cost you paid for the item but NOT the postage as it is not unfairly described apart from the typo in the lens size. The difference in the quality of the photo with a 55mm lens would entirely invisible to the eye.

Zegnar fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 14, 2010

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Zegnar posted:

Another fun eBay experience, buying a 'Zuiko 55mm lens' which I assumed to be the only 55mm Zuiko ever made, with an aperture of 1.2.

In fact, just a standard 50/1.8. I wrote to ask why it was listed as 55mm.

You need to take that up with ebay directly if he won't make you whole. That's just flatly fraudulent.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

RangerScum posted:

It would have been more exciting looking if the spriklers shot out fire instead of water.

I was on a shoot once where we had two Profoto 2400's hooked up to a bi-tube head outside a big window, and the sprinklers came on.

The explosion was.... impressive.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

brad industry posted:

I was on a shoot once where we had two Profoto 2400's hooked up to a bi-tube head outside a big window, and the sprinklers came on.

The explosion was.... impressive.

...I'm imagining the explosion every time the capacitors discharge and that light goes off is also impressive... good lord, that's a lot of light.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Seamless background comes in rolls for just this reason. When the flash burns the model's white shadow into the background you can just sweep up the ash and roll up the background for the next shot.

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

Just spotted this great job listing

quote:

We’re producing a series of online lenses tutorials for Canon, and we’re looking for a presenter’s assistant to help deliver them – an inspiring and knowledgeable photography trainee who knows a bit about lenses. Someone youthful, confident, presentable, camera.

All the ladies describe me as camera :c00l:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Tincans posted:

All the ladies describe me as camera :c00l:

All the ladies describe me as tripod :smug:

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

spog posted:

All the ladies describe me as tripod :smug:

The Magic Drainpipe :smugbert:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Low dynamic range, incredibly quick burst rate, long recharge times.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I decided to take advantage of the fact that nothing is ready for me where I'm working this week and took a photo walk around the business park I'm at in Houston. Unfortunately, I was unaware that the building next door was Haliburton. Needless to say the Houston PD now has my contact information. :(

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I decided to take advantage of the fact that nothing is ready for me where I'm working this week and took a photo walk around the business park I'm at in Houston. Unfortunately, I was unaware that the building next door was Haliburton. Needless to say the Houston PD now has my contact information. :(

Why? Fight the man, man.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Repeat after me: Am I under arrest or am I free to go, offissah?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

woo, I got credited as an assistant in a magazine editorial!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

BeastOfExmoor posted:

The H-hole office near the airport or the one in Midtown?