Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

EG posted:

I know people don't talk poo poo on Michael Stackpole's XWing books in this thread, BUT I just read them all and the one thing that really bothered me was how in every book at least 1 character dies, but then NOPE they're actually alive the whole time, everyone just thought they were dead. It gets to the point where you know anyone who dies is coming back. In Isard's Revenge basically every single character thinks the other characters are dead, AND the bad guy they killed in a previous book is back with her clone...

Think of them as novelizations of comic books (except without the actual comic books).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

arioch posted:

Think of them as novelizations of comic books (except without the actual comic books).

In an ironic twist, in the actual Rogue Squadron comics they knock off established characters left and right.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So I never really asked what the story behind the biggs and luke scene in ANH was. I've seen pictures of a scene that was in the script where they're talking on tattooine. I never really found out why that wasn't included in the movie.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em

Torael_7 posted:

More importantly, it makes landing hits easier as compared to, say, the nose mounted lasers on a tie fighter or y-wing, since you've got a wider shot spread - a target juking & jinking to avoid your fire has to move further.
Nose-mounted guns were advantageous IRL because their accuracy wasn't affected by range as much as converging wing guns were.
:goonsay:

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Kingtheninja posted:

So I never really asked what the story behind the biggs and luke scene in ANH was. I've seen pictures of a scene that was in the script where they're talking on tattooine. I never really found out why that wasn't included in the movie.

It was originally added to the script so the audience wouldn't have to wait 20 minutes meet the film's protagonist. The scene was subsequently filmed and cut due to pacing and the fact that it didn't really add anything to the story.

Most people who claim to remember seeing the Biggs scenes (pre-1997) are mistaken, in that the scenes are included in the novelization, radio drama, and children's storybook (which featured pictures). There have been alleged occasions where the film was shown with the scenes intact, but it's hard to substantiate.

In 1997 (I believe), LucasArts released a CD-ROM called Star Wars: Behind the Magic, which featured, among other things, the complete Biggs sequences.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

NGL posted:

In 1997 (I believe), LucasArts released a CD-ROM called Star Wars: Behind the Magic, which featured, among other things, the complete Biggs sequences.

That was a great CD, if only for the Stormtrooper testing range.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

EG posted:

I know people don't talk poo poo on Michael Stackpole's XWing books in this thread, BUT I just read them all and the one thing that really bothered me was how in every book at least 1 character dies, but then NOPE they're actually alive the whole time, everyone just thought they were dead. It gets to the point where you know anyone who dies is coming back. In Isard's Revenge basically every single character thinks the other characters are dead, AND the bad guy they killed in a previous book is back with her clone...
Lujayne is executed by stormies in the first one (although she gets replaced by her sister).
One dude's fighter gets hit by a planet-defence ion and disintegrates.
The shistavenen gets annihilated by a star destroyer jumping in right beside him.
I think the rodian pilot bites it somewhere.
But yeah, Stackpole liked his characters too much to kill them all off. Allston is better at killing people.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

T-1000 posted:

Lujayne is executed by stormies in the first one (although she gets replaced by her sister).
One dude's fighter gets hit by a planet-defence ion and disintegrates.
The shistavenen gets annihilated by a star destroyer jumping in right beside him.
I think the rodian pilot bites it somewhere.
But yeah, Stackpole liked his characters too much to kill them all off. Allston is better at killing people.

Asyr collides with a... TIE Bomber, I think? Anyways, that was a dick move on the part of Stackpole, IMO. Poor Gavin. :smith:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Didn't Biggs cowardly brother die horribly in one too?

happy cabbage
Mar 1, 2008

Where did I put that sunscreen?

Milky Moor posted:

Asyr collides with a... TIE Bomber, I think? Anyways, that was a dick move on the part of Stackpole, IMO. Poor Gavin. :smith:

Asyr doesn't die. She staged it because bothan leadership pressured her to stop being with gavin so she sets out to change bothan society so it is socially acceptable to gently caress interspecies.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Didn't Biggs cowardly brother die horribly in one too?
Oh, if only.
Closest he comes to dying is the star destroyer jumping right beside him and his wingman while they're pirating a freighter. The freighter shields him from the SD so he blind-jumps while everyone else gets liquefied. Miraculously managing to not-die, he ends up at a small colony on a freezing, inhospitable world. They give him fuel and food and he sends them free bacta that they're stealing.
Isard tracks the freighters and kills everyone in the colony via bombardment.

T-1000 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 14, 2010

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

NGL posted:

It was originally added to the script so the audience wouldn't have to wait 20 minutes meet the film's protagonist. The scene was subsequently filmed and cut due to pacing and the fact that it didn't really add anything to the story.

Most people who claim to remember seeing the Biggs scenes (pre-1997) are mistaken, in that the scenes are included in the novelization, radio drama, and children's storybook (which featured pictures). There have been alleged occasions where the film was shown with the scenes intact, but it's hard to substantiate.

That's what I figured, but I can't figure out why it hasn't been added to the dvds or upcoming blu ray release. I feel like that would sell a lot of copies.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Kingtheninja posted:

That's what I figured, but I can't figure out why it hasn't been added to the dvds or upcoming blu ray release. I feel like that would sell a lot of copies.

The same reason it was cut from the film in the first place. It adds nothing and fucks up the pacing. Same reason we don't want the lightsaber-building scene put back into Return of the Jedi.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Chaos Hippy posted:

It adds nothing and fucks up the pacing.

I have a feeling this should not disturb Lucas much at this point.

happy cabbage
Mar 1, 2008

Where did I put that sunscreen?

T-1000 posted:

Oh, if only.
Closest he comes to dying is the star destroyer jumping right beside him and his wingman while they're pirating a freighter. The freighter shields him from the SD so he blind-jumps while everyone else gets liquefied. Miraculously managing to not-die, he ends up at a small colony on a freezing, inhospitable world. They give him fuel and food and he sends them free bacta that they're stealing.

Actually he got shot by a blaster on some jungle world as well. He nearly died then.

Diacritical Mark
Jul 26, 2010

Dash Magnum posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if in his next installment a Jedi develops laser vision or shape-shifting.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/T'ra_Saa

I can't think of any species with laser vision off the top of my head, but I'm sure that someone, somewhere in George's universe has it.

ZeroPrimal
Feb 24, 2010

The slave becomes the master.
They should make a sereies following the adventures of Jedi-DoubleGrandmaster Calel from the planet Cryypton.

Dash Magnum
Jul 25, 2007

That's no moon...
It's a Face Station!

Casimir Radon posted:

It's probably the best book of the series so far.

I really want to be contrary and say that none of the books are good enough to be best of anything, but in an of itself, there's nothing not true about this statement.

Diacritical Mark posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/T'ra_Saa

I can't think of any species with laser vision off the top of my head, but I'm sure that someone, somewhere in George's universe has it.

I'm so goddamn sick of all these Star Wars.

On the other hand, I probably should have known as soon as I typed that out that there was a good chance there'd be something somewhere that already existed. Truly the EU is an amazing, magical and frightening thing.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Knights of the Old Republic on STEAM for 5 Dollars/Euros/Pounds. If you haven't got it and you like decent RPGs/Star Wars get it.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Even better, its $2.50 US dollars. I own it on cd already, but I just rebought it to avoid that 3 disc install.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

vkeios posted:

Even better, its $2.50 US dollars. I own it on cd already, but I just rebought it to avoid that 3 disc install.

You know, it is rather tempting for this reason alone.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Too bad KoTOR doesn't work right on Windows 7.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

:confused: Yes it does

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I own the steam version and play it on windows 7 just fine.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

happy cabbage posted:

Asyr doesn't die. She staged it because bothan leadership pressured her to stop being with gavin so she sets out to change bothan society so it is socially acceptable to gently caress interspecies.

Everyone thinks she is though, and I'm pretty sure she hasn't been in any other EU work. Kind of the same thing.

quote:

Gavin Darklighter, the most :buddy: pilot in Rogue Squadron.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Milky Moor posted:

Everyone thinks she is though, and I'm pretty sure she hasn't been in any other EU work. Kind of the same thing.

Booster Terrik knows. And potentially Kre'fey.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.

Boondock Saint posted:

:confused: Yes it does

Well it doesn't work right in the sense that it's not really a good game but that isn't because of Windows 7

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Fledgling Gulps posted:

Well it doesn't work right in the sense that it's not really a good game but that isn't because of Windows 7

Blasphemy!

Seriously though, most people I've run into enjoyed the game and found it to be a standout and the pinnacle of Star Wars games amidst the mediocre games Lucasarts releases these days. Why don't you think it's a good game?

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.

Boondock Saint posted:

Blasphemy!

Seriously though, most people I've run into enjoyed the game and found it to be a standout and the pinnacle of Star Wars games amidst the mediocre games Lucasarts releases these days. Why don't you think it's a good game?

To be honest I don't have much of a right to give an opinion on it, I bought it last time it was $2 and only put about an hour and half into it. I remember being pretty bored.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Boondock Saint posted:

Blasphemy!

Some people don't like it because it follows Biowares traditional storyline like with their other RPG games.

Personally I don't give a toss.

Fledgling Gulps posted:

To be honest I don't have much of a right to give an opinion on it, I bought it last time it was $2 and only put about an hour and half into it. I remember being pretty bored.

The start is pretty slow burn yeah, but it is worth the struggle. After Dantooine everything is kick rear end. I find the same problem with Fallout 3 and Oblivion, both are awesome games but gently caress the boring hour long tutorials you can't skip.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

SeanBeansShako posted:

Some people don't like it because it follows Biowares traditional storyline like with their other RPG games.

Traditional Bioware storyline, traditional Bioware NWN world setup, traditional Bioware side-characters, "old-timey" spin on Star Wars pen and paper RPG supplement material, terrible terrible Dark Side options except for some stuff near the end.

Good parts: HK-47, and the twist because that kind of twist was relatively unexpected and exciting then instead of just de rigueur.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

At least you liked the music right?

Either way enjoy it, the next Star Wars game will be FORCE UNLEASHED EXTREME SPACE KARTS.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
I'd play that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Faerunner posted:

I'd play that.

Well yeah, we all would. Just for the novelty of seeing P-Diddy or Vader crammed on a tiny space gokart.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

SeanBeansShako posted:

Either way enjoy it, the next Star Wars game will be FORCE UNLEASHED EXTREME SPACE KARTS.

I'm game if it features a Starkiller-powered star destroyer. Death stars can be the chompers in chains.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

SeanBeansShako posted:

uhhh....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjWw6s5x0I0

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

uhhh....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjWw6s5x0I0

Oh. Its already been done? Uh, Force Unleashed Tennis or Golf then.

Also, Empire At War Gold is now being sold cheap on STEAM.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

uPen posted:

I own the steam version and play it on windows 7 just fine.

How? There are massive threads on many forums all focusing around the specific way to install the game and additional thing you must download to make it work in Windows 7. And even then it can still gently caress up. For example: My game crashes during each cut scene unless I go to the desktop and back right at the start of them.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How? There are massive threads on many forums all focusing around the specific way to install the game and additional thing you must download to make it work in Windows 7. And even then it can still gently caress up. For example: My game crashes during each cut scene unless I go to the desktop and back right at the start of them.

Chiming in to say that during my Let's Play of KOTOR (another opportunity to pimp my own thread, yes!) I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 with no issues for the Steam version of KOTOR.

I did try some weird registry thing to make it use both cores instead of just one, but that made it crash a lot, so I just un-did the change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Are these for the steam version? Steam generally does the compatibility stuff for you.