Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..
Got my fantasy draft coming up this Sunday. It's auction style so will be a little harder than anticipated, but excited for the upcoming season.

My current plan going into this is to get Andre Johnson..and figure the rest out on the day.

Loving the info in the thread, and will update the OP with a some of the more general info posted asap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

sc0tty posted:

Got my fantasy draft coming up this Sunday. It's auction style so will be a little harder than anticipated, but excited for the upcoming season.

My current plan going into this is to get Andre Johnson..and figure the rest out on the day.

Loving the info in the thread, and will update the OP with a some of the more general info posted asap.

Have a top tier running-back in mind, since the drop off between productive and meh is gigantic.

Is anyone else really happy that you can select individual Defensive players in fantasy drafts now? If only I could take O-lines we'd be all set and I'd be in "unnoticed but important" heaven.

ch1mp
Oct 4, 2004

I've got a college football question because I know nothing about college ball. How is the schedule determined for college teams and how far in advance is this done?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
While we're on the subject of scheduling, how is home/away determined for NFL games? I notice that the Lions are playing host to the Rams despite doing so last year.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

C-Euro posted:

While we're on the subject of scheduling, how is home/away determined for NFL games? I notice that the Lions are playing host to the Rams despite doing so last year.

There is a different home/away for each reason that teams play each other. For example, last year if the NFC North played the NFC West, it might have been the Lions turn to host the Rams, because four years ago, the Rams hosted the lions.

However, this year, if they're playing each other because they both finished fourth in their divisions, it has nothing to do with last year, and depends on who hosted who the last time they played each other for that reason

I just confused myself

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

ch1mp posted:

I've got a college football question because I know nothing about college ball. How is the schedule determined for college teams and how far in advance is this done?
There isn't an overall scheduling system for the NCAA. It's left up to the teams, so this can get a little complicated. For the purposes of this we'll stick with I-A scheduling because it's all I know about.

For starters, every team schedules 12 regular season games*. Most teams (all but ND, Army, Navy, and in the future BYU) are in a conference, which schedules 8-9 of their regular season games for them. The remaining out-of-conference games are scheduled between schools as they see fit. These are often scheduled well in advance (5-10 years) either as a home-away or some type of longer series. The 1-off scheduler filler games will more often be scheduled 1-3 years in advance, and usually involve a big team paying some poo poo team a lot of money (in the range of $1 million these days) to come play at their stadium.

Conference scheduling is dont a few years in advance by the conferences. You might not know who you will be playing on the 5th week 4 years from now, but you know it will be a conference game, so you don't schedule an OOC game there.

* There is an exception where if you go to play at Hawaii you are allowed to play 13 games. The NCAA does this because nobody wants to play at Hawaii.

tk fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 5, 2010

ch1mp
Oct 4, 2004

tk posted:

Detailed explanation

Thank you for explaining that. The colossal mismatches that I seem stumble across frequently are one of the reasons that I have had a hard time getting in to college ball and I wondered where these match ups came from.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

ch1mp posted:

Thank you for explaining that. The colossal mismatches that I seem stumble across frequently are one of the reasons that I have had a hard time getting in to college ball and I wondered where these match ups came from.

Well some of those mismatches are a result of teams having to play really awful teams in their conference. The Pac-10 gets nothing from beating up on WSU every year, but they are in the league so everyone else get a free win.

The out of conference stuff is usually the bigger team wanted to get a guaranteed win at home. They will pay a smaller team a lot of money to come to their house so the home team can make even more money and get one win closer to bowl eligibility. Teams will also use them as tune up games the first week of the season since there is no preseason in college ball.

These games are often a good thing for the underdog too since without them their football teams wouldn't make nearly as much money. It is also why teams like Tory will spend basically the entire first month of the season on the road, while the Florida's of the world won't leave campus until mid October. Yeah these games suck, but unfortunately they are a fact of college ball. Plus these games can make for some hilarious upsets when the team that was supposed to lost ends up winning.

It does look like a lot teams are realizing that the danger of scheduling one-two really good out of conference games a year is worth the risk.

That was a lot more then I intended to write so sorry about the length.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I skimmed through the thread and didn't see it asked, so would somebody explain how the spread works for betting on games? Is it how much the favored team will win by? Is "betting against the spread" the same as betting for the underdog? Does "covering" mean the favorite team wins by at least that much?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

C-Euro posted:

I skimmed through the thread and didn't see it asked, so would somebody explain how the spread works for betting on games? Is it how much the favored team will win by? Is "betting against the spread" the same as betting for the underdog? Does "covering" mean the favorite team wins by at least that much?

The spread is the amount of points you must give up if you bet on the favorite or the number of points you get if you are betting on the underdog.

Betting against the spread is just betting with the spread in play. It's to differentiate merely predicting the winner of a game from predicting it with the spread. So if Pittsburgh is favored by 3.5 points over Baltimore, betting against the spread would be picking Pittsburgh but giving up 3.5 points, or betting on Baltimore and getting 3.5 points. Not betting the spread ("straight up") would be just picking who you think is going to win the game.

Covering means you bet against the spread and won basically. If you picked Pittsburgh in the above scenario, and they won by four or more, they covered. If you picked Baltimore and they either won or lost by less than 3.5, they covered.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

The spread is the amount of points you must give up if you bet on the favorite or the number of points you get if you are betting on the underdog.

Betting against the spread is just betting with the spread in play. It's to differentiate merely predicting the winner of a game from predicting it with the spread. So if Pittsburgh is favored by 3.5 points over Baltimore, betting against the spread would be picking Pittsburgh but giving up 3.5 points, or betting on Baltimore and getting 3.5 points. Not betting the spread ("straight up") would be just picking who you think is going to win the game.

Covering means you bet against the spread and won basically. If you picked Pittsburgh in the above scenario, and they won by four or more, they covered. If you picked Baltimore and they either won or lost by less than 3.5, they covered.

What do you mean by "points"? Points on the final score or something like points in the Pick'em pool here?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

C-Euro posted:

What do you mean by "points"? Points on the final score or something like points in the Pick'em pool here?
Final score. His explanation wasn't exactly that clear.

East test to see if someone beat the spread
1) Did the underdog win?
2) Is the score of the favorite minus the score of the underdog less than than the spread? (if it's negative you did something wrong at step 1!)

If you answer yes to either, the underdog beat the spread and if you bet on the underdog probably won some money. This weekend, Oklahoma was picked to beat Utah State by 33.5 points. The final score was 31-24 Oklahoma. Utah State didn't win, but 7 is clearly less than 33.5, so Utah State beat the spread.

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?
I think the NFL's scheduling system is pretty elegant right now with a 16 game system that improves parity. Have there been any ideas put forward yet as to how a 18 game schedule would work. I want to believe that there will be method to it, but my gut tells me the league is just going to pick out some prime time worthy match ups for NFLN and the other stations.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Wollawolla posted:

I think the NFL's scheduling system is pretty elegant right now with a 16 game system that improves parity. Have there been any ideas put forward yet as to how a 18 game schedule would work. I want to believe that there will be method to it, but my gut tells me the league is just going to pick out some prime time worthy match ups for NFLN and the other stations.

The easiest thing would be to eliminate the two same place games (The two unique games every team plays every year due to their finishing spots in their divisions the previous year), and simply play another whole division.

For example:

Right now, the Chargers play:

AFC West x6
AFC South x4
NFC West x4
New England
Cincinnati

Under an 18 game schedule, they could hypothetically play:

AFC West x6
AFC South x4
AFC North x4
NFC West x4

Of course, the major drawback to this is that it completely eliminates 1st place schedules, 2nd place schedules, and whatnot. Every team in a division would play the exact same schedule every season.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

SteelAngel2000 posted:

The easiest thing would be to eliminate the two same place games (The two unique games every team plays every year due to their finishing spots in their divisions the previous year), and simply play another whole division.

For example:

AFC West x6
AFC South x4
NFC West x4
New England
Cincinnati

AFC West x6
AFC South x4
AFC North x4
NFC West x4

Of course, the major drawback to this is that it completely eliminates 1st place schedules, 2nd place schedules, and whatnot. Every team in a division would play the exact same schedule every season.

One idea I had would be to do 1st place etc. games against (in this case) the corresponding NFC teams, until I realized you wouldn't get to play all four of them in a season.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

SteelAngel2000 posted:

For example:

AFC West x6
AFC South x4
NFC West x4
New England
Cincinnati

AFC West x6
AFC South x4
AFC North x4
NFC West x4

I think a better idea would be to add more parity, make those two extra games against same ranked opponents in the opposite conference divisions and rotate those 3 divisions.

So the Chargers would then play:

AFCW x 6
AFCS x 4
NFCW x 4
Patriots
Bengals
Vikings
Cowboys

It'd increase parity way more and give the NFL a ton more awesome games.

For Comparison, the last place Chiefs would end up with:

AFCW x 6
AFCS x 4
NFCW x 4
Bills
Browns
Redskins
Lions

Now that's parity!

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Bashez posted:

It was literally impossible for me to move in a cup. Especially after your thighs get bigger. Even worse the cup would sit a half inch or so off my skin which meant its plastic edges came crashing down when I got hit. It took one practice for me to never wear a cup again.

I tried wearing a cup during one practice my freshman year of high school. It was so ridiculously uncomfortable I never tried it again. Out of all the terrible things that have happened to my body playing football, nothing ever happened to my junk. Maybe 1 or 2 guys I ever played with in high school used a cup at some point, and I know for sure that none of my college teammates ever did. It's really not worth the annoyance as you rarely ever injure that part of your body.

Also, a few pages back I said I'd make a post on the Wing T. I've been really busy lately but I'll have that post up by tomorrow hopefully.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Ah to not have been a little motherfucker...

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
The Wing-T

The Wing-T is an offensive system that relies primarily on misdirection to achieve big plays. It hearkens back to good ol' days of football when passing was so under-emphasized that last seasons terrifying performance from Mark Sanchez would still be enough to make him the NFL league leader in passing yards and attempts for every year of the 1930's.

The Wing-T is based off of the many permutations of Single-wing formations from the early years of football, and obviously from the T formation. Let's take a look at a typical Wing-T formation you'd see being used today.

Click here for the full 786x376 image.

As passing isn't frowned upon like it used to be you'll notice most modern day Wing-T and wing variants make use of at least 1 WR in their base formation (it wasn't uncommon for teams to use double tight formations regularly before the advent of modern passing.) This formation has it's strength to the right, with the Wingback usually 1x1 yard off the TE. The Fullback lines up directly behind the QB with the Halfback offset behind the weakside tackle.

Here is an additional graphic of formations that any Wing-T team will run.

Click here for the full 786x976 image.

One of the reasons the Wing is still so popular, especially at the high school level, is that you can generate big plays through proper execution of the running game which you might not be able to do through the passing game given the quality of most high school QB's. Another aspect is angle blocking techniques and schemes. Angle blocking, where the blocker takes on only a portion of the defenders body from an angle allows smaller players to still effectively block larger, stronger players by decreasing their force via angles. Additionally, undisciplined defenders are prone to being caught out of position by the numerous offensive keys presented by a Wing-T team.

As far as personnel goes, the QB should be athletic enough to be a running threat on boots and option plays, ideally he has a good arm but honestly that's optional. He also has to be able to make a convincing playfake without fumbling all the time. All 3 backs must be decent blockers, often times they will be used at the point of attack or for extra pass protection. This is purely anecdotal, but the fullback was by far the best athlete on any Wing-T team I was ever a part of.

Plays
Wing plays are commonly referred to using a 3 digit number system. The first digit will designate the formation. The second digit refers to the series of plays and the third digit is the hole. The play is also usually named in addition to it's number code, for example 121 Sweep.

This is the 100 formation, the sweep is part of the Jet/Waggle series which we will refer to as the 20 series, and it hits hole 1. It is an outside running play in which both guards pull around to block so we call it "Sweep." Holes are numbered 1-9 going from right to left.
If we look at the play diagram the QB reverse pivots after taking the snap, fakes to the FB and hands off to the HB. Now that we've established the sweep lets take a look at a trap play.

124 Trap

Still in the 100 formation, and the backfield action is still part of the 20 series. The left guard is trapping the defensive tackle and we're running to the 4 hole, so this is 124 Trap. The QB reverse pivots just like on 121, but instead of faking to the FB he gives him the ball, boots out and fakes it to the HB who fakes a sweep on his way to block a second level defender. The DT to be trapped is going to fly into the backfield when the OT blocks down and seemingly leaves him untouched. This makes it 100x easier for the guard to remove him entirely from the play. Even better is that if the DT adjusts his alignment closer to the center to be in better position to defend the trap, he has effectively removed himself from any outside run plays, so feel free to audible to sweep.

We don't want the defense to get comfortable yet, so let's call a pass play.
121 Waggle

This is 121 Waggle, which is a play-action. The QB does his reverse pivot, fakes to the FB and the HB who take their steps exactly as if they were really running 121 Sweep. The lineman engage as if they were run blocking (taking care not to go upfield.) The backside tackle protects the QB's backside as he boots left and the pulling guards act as his personal protectors out front. The receivers run their routes as if they're doing a poor job blocking to sell the run, and then find open field. If the TE gets behind the linebacker, and the saftey bites on the run play he should get the ball 100% of the time for major yardage. Even a poor high school QB should be able to hit a wide open receiver no deeper than 12 yards nearly every time. The FB has the option to delay into a pass route if there is no man threatening the gap he is responsible for.

The great thing about the waggle is how it will totally mindfuck an unaware defense. If the LB's are keying the guards they're going to read 929 Sweep and fly up to play the non-existent run. If they're watching the HB they will read 121 Sweep and be on the other half of the field, totally removing themselves from the play. If they key the FB and he makes a good fake they're going to plug the interior run gaps and get caught up in the wash.

That is the basic premise of the Wing-T. You don't even need to have a plethora of plays to run as long as you have ways to disguise the plays through multiple formations, motions, shifts, etc. There are at least 5 variations of 121 Sweep which takes almost no install time for the offense, yet forces the defense to be aware of all possible looks.

This is a video of Auburn's offense under Gus Malzahn, who was the OC at Arkansas when the Wildcat/Wildhog was popularized. I would describe his offense as a modern synthesis of the fast tempo spread offense and the deceptive style of older single wing systems like the Wing-T.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgcBPczLUI0

If anyone wants I can make another post about more Wing-T plays, but I think this covered the basic ideas while covering a fair bit of ground.

ThatOtherGuy
Jul 15, 2006

"Size matters not. Look at my quarterback. Judge him by his size, do you? Hmm?"
The Wing-T rules. We ran it in high school and we were unstoppable. Seriously. While we had other formations, we probably ran the Wing-T like 80% of the time and we ran two or three plays out of it most of the time and we were still unstoppable.

I wish it translated better into video games because I'd run that poo poo non stop in NCAA.

Our base formation was the "red" one from that chart that was posted.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I'm sure someone somewhere would just love to start a pedantic debate about whether you were running Wing-T or double-wing...

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Trin Tragula posted:

I'm sure someone somewhere would just love to start a pedantic debate about whether you were running Wing-T or double-wing...

That man is Bill Belichek.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

ThatOtherGuy posted:

The Wing-T rules. We ran it in high school and we were unstoppable. Seriously. While we had other formations, we probably ran the Wing-T like 80% of the time and we ran two or three plays out of it most of the time and we were still unstoppable.

I wish it translated better into video games because I'd run that poo poo non stop in NCAA.

Our base formation was the "red" one from that chart that was posted.

My high school has a very rich tradition of being absolutely terrible at football. They moved to the Wing-T my sophomore year, and it allows them to actually stay competitive despite being athletically overmatched by every single opponent in their division. I love the offense from a personal standpoint, as a TE you're in great position to downblock unsuspecting linebackers and reach lineman. In the passing game you're the #1 read on every midrange crossing pattern. Then I went to college and was by far the least athletic skill player on a team that ran the spread, so I have a special appreciation for the Wing-T.

Lloyd Christmas
Aug 3, 2004

by angerbot

Kalli posted:

I think a better idea would be to add more parity, make those two extra games against same ranked opponents in the opposite conference divisions and rotate those 3 divisions.

So the Chargers would then play:

AFCW x 6
AFCS x 4
NFCW x 4
Patriots
Bengals
Vikings
Cowboys

It'd increase parity way more and give the NFL a ton more awesome games.

For Comparison, the last place Chiefs would end up with:

AFCW x 6
AFCS x 4
NFCW x 4
Bills
Browns
Redskins
Lions

Now that's parity!
I think the 18 game schedule is a red herring. The owners know the players will never go for it, so they "compromise" and do a 17-game schedule with one international game for each team. The extra game rotates with some team that finished the same place you did from a division in the other conference you aren't playing.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
How about the NFL just picks the 17th game out of a hat? I think that'd be pretty exciting.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
My rankings of the NFL divisions based on the rivalry factor:

1. NFC East
2. AFC East

smaller gap

3. NFC North
4. AFC West
5. AFC North

huge gap

6. NFC south
7. AFC south
8. NFC west

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?
East coast bias.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Honestly as a NFCN fan I'd switch the AFCW and NFCN, if only because the Lions are too far behind the rest of the division to have/receive much hate, and the AFCW is even enough where everyone hates each other.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
I reread my post and decided it had no reason to be posted. Please ignore me.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
I was reading Wikipedia(and links in the OP) so I could get a better understanding on some things and still had questions.(I only watch the NFL if that matters.)

From my understanding a slot receiver is the receiver lined up with a flanker or split end, correct? Why then do I hear often commentators say so and so is a good slot receiver, can't this change based upon formation used? In addition to this Wikipedia states under the penalties for illegal formation states: eligible receivers fail to line up as the leftmost and rightmost players on the line in the NFL. Is that referring to only receivers lined up on the line, not any a yard deep?

I read up on the Bob Davies link mostly regarding defense but I am still uncertain on things such as weak side, strong side. A more comprehensive look at zone and man coverage would be great as well, he talked about the cover 2 playing man underneath, is that then zone or man?

I personally hate listening to TV announcers as the Packers have great radio announcers but the game is nearly a play ahead of the TV, any way to correct that? If not what commentators are good, generally?

I would love to get a better understanding of most NFL routes for wide receivers in terms of name and use of the routes.

Xeras fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 14, 2010

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Xeras posted:

From my understanding a slot receiver is the receiver lined up with a flanker or split end, correct? Why then do I hear often commentators say so and so is a good slot receiver, can't this change based upon formation used?

The "slot" is generally meant to refer to the location on the field, in reference to the offensive formation, between the last man on the offensive line and the furthest man to the outside. The receiver in the slot typically splits the difference between the last man on the offensive line and outside receiver. Any receiver can line up in this position, and frequently teams will try to move players around to get a favorable match-up from this position. It's not uncommon to see some of the better receiving tight ends line up like this to exploit match-ups, as the man responsible for a slot receiver will usually be a nickelback or linebacker, players who are not as skilled at pass coverage as the 2 starting corners who will be on the outside receivers. Certain players with excellent quickness and good route running technique can excel from this position as they are usually difficult for a linebacker or backup DB to cover, or the #1 receiver can be motioned or shifted into the slot to isolate him against a weaker defender.

quote:

I read up on the Bob Davies link mostly regarding defense but I am still uncertain on things such as weak side, strong side. A more comprehensive look at zone and man coverage would be great as well, he talked about the cover 2 playing man underneath, is that then zone or man?

I'm not sure which link in the OP you're referring to but the most basic concept of determining the strong side of a formation is the side the TE is on. This can change if the line comes out in an unbalanced look or something else atypical but 99% of the time it's where the TE is. Cover 2 man underneath would be the 2 safeties dropping back to play a 2 deep zone (each man covers half the field) with the remaining LB's & DB's playing man on each receiver.

quote:

I would love to get a better understanding of most NFL routes for wide receivers in terms of name and use of the routes.

I think someone posted a passing tree ITT already.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Xeras posted:

From my understanding a slot receiver is the receiver lined up with a flanker or split end, correct?

A slot receiver is an eligible receiver who is not lined up on the end of the formation (that's the flanker and split end, usually), next to the offensive tackle (tight end), or in the backfield (running back).

quote:

Why then do I hear often commentators say so and so is a good slot receiver, can't this change based upon formation used?

Yes, but a lot of teams will consistently use the same guy in the slot. A good slot receiver tends to be very good at intermediate routes over the middle, although this can vary based on the offensive scheme.

quote:

In addition to this Wikipedia states under the penalties for illegal formation states: eligible receivers fail to line up as the leftmost and rightmost players on the line in the NFL. Is that referring to only receivers lined up on the line, not any a yard deep?

Essentially, there have to be seven players on the line of scrimmage - five offensive linemen and two eligible receivers - although the rule is worded slightly differently. The receivers who are lined up "on the line," which would usually but not always be the split end and the tight end, have to be lined up even with the ball and the offensive linemen; if they aren't it's an illegal formation. This doesn't come up as a penalty much because the tight end is lining up right next to the tackle and the split end usually communicates via hand signals with the line judge and head linesman to make sure he's on the line.

quote:

I read up on the Bob Davies link mostly regarding defense but I am still uncertain on things such as weak side, strong side.

At a basic level, the strong side is whichever side the offense has more players lined up on and the weak side is whichever side the offense has less players lined up on. In a basic 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE formation, it would be the side where the TE is lined up. Some teams use strong side/weak side to orient their defense, some teams just use left or right (but from a defensive perspective).

quote:

A more comprehensive look at zone and man coverage would be great as well, he talked about the cover 2 playing man underneath, is that then zone or man?

Cover 2 man is basically a man coverage with two safeties providing deep help. It's pretty basic, can get killed by short slants, and only allows for four pass rushers.

The least complicated way I can explain basic pass defense philosophy is to think of it as each defensive players having an individual assignment on each play. In a basic man defense, a defender has the responsibility for a specific offensive player. In a basic zone defense, a defender has the responsibility for a specific area on the field. Does that make any sense?

The strengths of a man defense are that it isn't really complicated in terms of where you're going on a specific play - you're literally just covering the dude in front of you. The weakness is that offensive players have a number of innate rules (pass interference) and knowledge (they know where they're going) advantages that make it hard for even the best defensive players to cover a good offensive player in single man coverage for very long, Darrelle Revis and Nmandi Asomugha excluded.

The strengths of a zone defense are that the defender doesn't have as big of the knowledge problem, because he doesn't necessarily have to keep up with the offensive player, and it's also easier to disguise coverages. The weaknesses are that specific plays can just carve the poo poo out of zone defenses because it's impossible for 11 guys to cover the entire field and thus there's a lot of holes. Zones are also pretty complicated and can occasionally lead to screwups where a defender goes with the wrong guy and an offensive player ends up behind the defense with nobody within 20 yards of him.

quote:

I personally hate listening to TV announcers as the Packers have great radio announcers but the game is nearly a play ahead of the TV, any way to correct that? If not what commentators are good, generally?

For the pros, not many of them on the television. Gus Johnson rules, but he does secondary AFC games. Same thing with Ian Eagle. Ron Jaworski is a really good analyst, but he's buried on a team with a bad PBP guy and a second color guy who talks a lot but doesn't say much. The Bob Papa/Matt Millen team on NFL Network was great but they're adding Joe Theismann this year and he's The Worst. Ron Pitts and Kenny Albert are okay.

quote:

Wikipedia (in the Route(football) article which won't link properly) does a decent job on the basics if you click through to the connecting articles, as does an introductory passing tree I posted a while back. There's certainly some more complicated stuff like combo routes or option routes but I'm not real sure you want to be learning those as a new viewer.

oldfan fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Sep 14, 2010

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

jeffersonlives posted:

Zones are also pretty complicated and can occasionally lead to screwups where a defender goes with the wrong guy and an offensive player ends up behind the defense with nobody within 20 yards of him.

I think my favorite thing in football is seeing 2 defenders botch a crossing route in zone coverage ( or even man too I guess.)

Also as far as decent announcers I just remembered that I really like Dan Dierdorf but I'm not really sure why, other than he annoys me less than most other announcers.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

jeffersonlives posted:

:words:

Thank you so much for most of this writeup it was very informative. I guess I worded my zone and man question poorly as I do understand their concepts and their use. I was just confused as to when you get into the tampa 2 it is a combination of zone and man, but is cover 2 the same or just referring to the "levels" of coverage defenders are covering as Bob Davies explains it here?

Edit: Also I do find what you said about slot receivers interesting. Is there any sort of similar generalization for flankers and split ends as to if they run short, intermediate, deep routes? Gonna look over the passing tree tomorrow, thanks for posting it!

Xeras fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Sep 14, 2010

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Xeras posted:

Thank you so much for most of this writeup it was very informative. I guess I worded my zone and man question poorly as I do understand their concepts and their use. I was just confused as to when you get into the tampa 2 it is a combination of zone and man, but is cover 2 the same or just referring to the "level" of coverage defenders are covering as Bob Davies explains it?

The number after the coverage indicates that it's a zone coverage with that number of players deep. So a cover 1 has one safety in a deep zone, a cover 2 has two safeties in a deep zone, a cover 3 has three defensive backs in a deep zone, and a cover 4 has usually two safeties and two corners in a deep zone (with linebackers covering the flats).

The Tampa 2 is a misnomer; it's really a cover 3 zone variant. The safeties each have a deep sideline coverage area and a linebacker has the deep middle responsibility, while usually also having the usual run responsibilities. The personnel required for a Tampa 2 is extremely specialized and tough to find: the linebackers must be good in both run support and pass coverage and be excellent read and react players, the corners have to be good in run support, and pretty much everyone on the defense has to be fast. It does have the advantage of being able to use relatively smaller players, and when run correctly is very hard to outscheme.

Cover 1 and cover 2 are sometimes used to describe man defenses in addition to zone defenses, in situations where the coverage is man with deep safety help.

Cover 0 is usually a single man coverage on every receiving option and is used to denote a heavy blitz.

Xeras posted:

Edit: Also I do find what you said about slot receivers interesting. Is there any sort of similar generalization for flankers and split ends as to if they run short, intermediate, deep routes? Gonna look over the passing tree tomorrow, thanks for posting it!

It depends on the offense. Most playbooks have different responsibilities for the flanker (also known as the Z) and the split end (also known as the X), but there isn't necessarily a huge difference except that the flanker can go in motion easier and the split end might run a small amount more deep sideline routes because he's starting slightly closer to the defensive backs. Both positions are fairly interchangeable generally and they can be asked to do it all.

This would be much easier with a chalkboard!

oldfan fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 14, 2010

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Lloyd Christmas posted:

I think the 18 game schedule is a red herring. The owners know the players will never go for it, so they "compromise" and do a 17-game schedule with one international game for each team. The extra game rotates with some team that finished the same place you did from a division in the other conference you aren't playing.
I just can't see 16 international games a year at Wembley alone, so those games would have to be spread out between there, Estadio Azteca in Mexico City, Olympiastadion in Berlin, and Tokyo Dome in Tokyo. Wembley and Azteca have both hosted regular season games, Berlin's stadium was renovated into a beautiful arena for the 2006 World Cup, and Tokyo Dome held the last two American Bowls which were preseason games.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

texaholic posted:

My rankings of the NFL divisions based on the rivalry factor:

2. AFC East

5. AFC North

Lol the Bills are worse than the Browns and the Ravens and Bengals have been more competitive than the Jets and Dolphins for the last half decade. If you think everyone in the AFC:N doesn't hate everyone else I have some news for you.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Lol the Bills are worse than the Browns and the Ravens and Bengals have been more competitive than the Jets and Dolphins for the last half decade.
Explain your obviously flawed reasoning here.

Bengals - 2 winning seasons in the last 5 years, 2 in the last decade. 0 playoff wins. 1 divisional title.
Jets - 3 winning seasons in the last 5 years, 7 in the last decade. 4 playoff wins. 1 divisional title.
Dolphins - 2 winning seasons in the last 5 years, 6 in the last decade. 1 playoff win. 2 divisional titles.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ozu posted:

Explain your obviously flawed reasoning here.

Bengals - 2 winning seasons in the last 5 years, 2 in the last decade. 0 playoff wins. 1 divisional title.
Jets - 3 winning seasons in the last 5 years, 7 in the last decade. 4 playoff wins. 1 divisional title.
Dolphins - 2 winning seasons in the last 5 years, 6 in the last decade. 1 playoff win. 2 divisional titles.

Five years:
Bengals: 2 division titles
Browns: Narrowly missed playoffs in 07
Ravens: 2 WC spots, 1 Division title, 1 AFC Championship game (lost to Steelers), 1 other postseason win
Steelers: 2 WC spots, 1 SB title, 2 Div titles, 1 SB title

The AFC:N has two superbowls in the last five years and three AFC championship appearances. 3 teams have won the division in the last five years despite the fact that every year but 06 The AFC:N sent 2 teams into the postseason. Even in 06 the Bengals would have been in if it weren't for a fluky game in Denver with two bad holds for FG/EP. The Ravens have been more successful than the Jets and the Bengals have been more successful than the Dolphins. The AFC:E title has been held by the Pats four of the last five years. Even the Browns lone winning season was 10-6 to the Bills 9-7

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 15, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yanni Estacado
May 3, 2007

by T. Mascis

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

This took a second to sink in. Jesus Christ.

That reminds me of my favorite rugby guy, John Hopoate

quote:

Controversy

During a 2001 clash with the North Queensland Cowboys, Hopoate, in an attempt to unsettle several of his opponents, inserted his finger in three players' anuses, the first occurring during the seventh minute of play. At the conclusion of the match the matter was immediately referred to the rugby league judiciary where a case was put forward from both sides on 28 March. Hopoate claimed in front of the panel of judges that he was simply attempting to give all three players "a wedgie"[3] with his fingers, denying he had done anything wrong and that he was "a great believer in what happens on the field should stay there"[4].

The three victims in the case, Cowboys players Glenn Morrison, Peter Jones and Paul Bowman all disagreed with the reasoning put forward by Hopoate and his team. Jones stated, "It wasn't a wedgie. That's when your pants are pulled up your arse. I think I know the difference between a wedgie and someone sticking their finger up my bum."[5] Bowman stated that he was "disgusted" and "couldn't believe it."[6] As a result of this incident, radio comedy duo Roy and HG referred to Hopoate as 'Stink Finger', until he began his professional boxing career when they changed this to 'Stink Fist'.

• Locked thread