Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I dunno, that WRX is giving me a bad vibe. The Brighton has the 1.8L, I think, which is fairly reliable though hardly the most reliable motor in those cars.

Things I'd check on that WRX:
  • Why'd that engine get rebuilt? Is there a new warranty for that engine?
  • Is the straight pipe exhaust adequately tuned around? The WRX (although not the '02 so much) gets bitchy about having its exhaust changed without a tune.
  • Has someone switched out the boost controller? When I was shopping for WRXes I found two bugeyes (an 02 and an 03) where the previous owner had obviously hastily swapped out an aftermarket boost controller for a stock one at some point. This is OK if there's a tune around it.
  • CV axles. If the owner hasn't kept up on maintenance you'll be looking at replacing those. However, it looks like the owner also owns a Forester so they probably know enough about Subarus to have taken care of it.
If the transmission and rear differential is OK I'd swap all the stock parts in and drive it into the ground. I'd also check at the Subaru dealer that did the swap for the car's maintenance history (Subaru should have this on file) and find somewhere that knows WRXes to do an inspection.

I'd also ask around and make sure that it's a competent dealership that did the rebuild - a local WRX wagon has had four new engines in eight months because the dealership monkeys repeatedly refused to clean out the coolant passages before rebuilding the engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's also rather high miles for a 2002 all things considered. I know mine is only sitting at 109k right now. That one is sitting at around 16k miles a year. Yeah, the engine is supposed to be low miles, but it's just something else to consider.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

bull3964 posted:

It's also rather high miles for a 2002 all things considered. I know mine is only sitting at 109k right now. That one is sitting at around 16k miles a year. Yeah, the engine is supposed to be low miles, but it's just something else to consider.

Everything else wear wise on the subi is cheap though. Axles? <$100 a piece, rear diff? $150, Tranny? $1500. etc etc. Motor is really the largest expense you can have on the car, and so long as it was rebuilt properly (key thing there, get as much info as you can on the rebuild. And WHY it was rebuilt. If it was rod knock, make drat sure they replaced the block, oil lines, oil pan, oil pump, oil cooler, etc) you'd be able to get 200k out of the motor.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Cheap doesn't always mean not a pain in the rear end though.

If you have all the tools, the knowledge, and the patience it's fine. But a simple hour job can turn into "crap I can't drive this car until I fix this one stupid little bolt that no one but the dealer seems to carry."

As a second winter beater though, it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
I was looking in his area though when I posted that. Most of the cars in the area are all 150k+ miles (that were AWD and in his price range). It's his choice in the end but out of what I saw that's definitely his best bit IF He goes over that thing with a fine tooth comb.

But since the owner said he had all the documented records of what's been done, it seemed like the best gamble of the bunch.

power
Nov 4, 2009
Having checked out that WRX suggestion a few posts back, I browsed CL for an hour or so and I'm pleasantly surprised at how inexpensive they've become. Back when I was shopping two years ago it looked like 12-13K for a decent bugeye. I'd be tempted if I could find one that hasn't had an intake on it for half/all of its engine life without a proper tune.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the Rally Armor opinions. I'll wait until I can find a cheap pair on NASIOC.

In other Subie news I put the SPT (Bosal) 3" catback on my WRX today. So much nicer than the cheap Magnaflow axleback I had on before. No more drone yet a much deeper sound.

When you drive through a tunnel it sounds like Satan having an orgasm.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kylej posted:

Thanks for the Rally Armor opinions. I'll wait until I can find a cheap pair on NASIOC.
A few guys locally are literally running Ikea flexible cutting boards cut to fit for winter. I think they're $3 for two.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
I'm considering buying a 2011 WRX out of Illinois because they're offering it 500 below invoice and nobody in CA will get close to that. Does Subaru still make 49 state cars? I don't think I'll have problems smogging it but can't find anything specifically documenting this anywhere.

I'm a little concerned since the whole 93/91 octane thing too.

Edit: Ok this site says it is, guess I answered my own question:
http://www.cars101.com/subaru/impreza/wrxsti2011.html

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Sep 11, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

kylej posted:

Quite seriously, use 3mm rubber table mats cut to shape and spray painted black. It's stronger than "Rally Armor" and will protect better

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
I just put some Flapatax flaps on my WRX and love them but they are really wide. I like the look but I can see why a lot of people don't like it. You could cut them down if you wanted. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

A friend of mine cut up some public works truck mudflaps. Big fuckoff rubber that I bolted up. If there was Ikea around here, I'd totally do the cutting board mudflap setup. Looks like I have to have my buddy mail me some.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Listen Mr mechanic, when you do work on my car, make sure you actually do up the bolts for the turbo oil return line so it doesnt go loose and throw oil over the exhaust and set the car on fire.

And please note Mr Mechanic, the fire extingusher I am going to ram up your loving rear end is VERY personal. I take great exceptionn to having my car hosed up by your lousy lovely work.

Oh yes, also thanks for the fact I'm also most likely need a new engine and wiring harness. Have two extingushers up your loving arse you twat

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Wait, you need to attach the oil return line?

Maybe that is the smell.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

nm posted:

Wait, you need to attach the oil return line?

Maybe that is the smell.

Only if you want to return the oil!

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Amandyke posted:

Why would I want to return oil? gently caress opec! I'm keeping it for myself!

Content:

Long term planning for my LGT (08 5mt for reference).

It's my DD, and I love it. But, I'm thinking I'd like to get it to the 300hp mark.
After getting a raise at work, I think I can start slowly sourcing parts over the next year or so. Current "power mods" are basically limited to a K&N panel filter and a cat-back.

To hit my power goal I'm thinking of swapping for a vf52. Supporting mods would include: fuel pump, (650cc?) injectors, catted DP, aftermarket top mount and the obligatory tune. What I'm envisioning is a close to stock power delivery that has a little more breathing room up top and not having to worry about added maintenance/parts failures. I'm pretty good on maintenance, and my extended warranty is 5yr/60k miles - so I figure I've got maybe a year until I run that out anyways.

I'm hoping to hear this is reasonable/doable given the above criteria, or should I just save up for a separate car and really dedicate that to toy status and leave the DD basically as it is?

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 12, 2010

Watommi
Dec 17, 2004

I am all that is man.
So glad to find a Subaru thread here in AI.

Me and the wife are considering a move from San Diego to Maine within the next year. I already have a 4wd, but we're thinking her Toyota Matrix has to go. I've been looking at 2-3 year old Foresters and Outbacks, Carmax seems to have plenty of low mileage cars in that range for $15k-$19k. I've always heard these cars have great AWD systems and are good for the snow, but how good/bad are they? Can we buy a base model and put decent tires on and be good, or should we spring for a certain trim level? Any tips/warnings for someone who's never before owned a Subaru?

Now if I could just talk her into learning stick so we could buy a manual.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Amandyke posted:

And if say Mr red hot exhaust doesnt like an oil shower. What an ingrateful bastard he is, doesnt he know there's others who'll pay good money for a hot oil shower?

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I'll shut you up with my cock, you son of a bitch!

Cat Terrist posted:

And if say Mr red hot exhaust doesnt like an oil shower. What an ingrateful bastard he is, doesnt he know there's others who'll pay good money for a hot oil shower?

Yeah, people with such a bad case of dust contamination that they can barely move.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Cat Terrist posted:

He's pissed because you keep running hot air through him.
Disconnect the exhaust from the exhaust manifold, you fool, he'll be much more comfortable. Plus it will make you feel funny when stuck in traffic.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
That's lovely CT. First thing you loving do when you put on a turbo is turn the car on, put it up in the air, and make sure there are no drat leaks.

In other news I just needlessly spent a lot of money on this shiftknob:

it's pretty drat sweet though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Is that the official STI knob? Is it made of Delrin, or metal? All of the guys on the local club complain about the metal knobs freezing solid to their hands every winter.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

ssjonizuka posted:

To hit my power goal I'm thinking of swapping for a vf52. Supporting mods would include: fuel pump, (650cc?) injectors, catted DP, aftermarket top mount and the obligatory tune. What I'm envisioning is a close to stock power delivery that has a little more breathing room up top and not having to worry about added maintenance/parts failures. I'm pretty good on maintenance, and my extended warranty is 5yr/60k miles - so I figure I've got maybe a year until I run that out anyways.

I'm hoping to hear this is reasonable/doable given the above criteria, or should I just save up for a separate car and really dedicate that to toy status and leave the DD basically as it is?

If you have an 08, that means you already have some beefy injectors. Might not be necessary to swap them out. But a VF turbo, bellmouth DP, fuel pump and a quality tune should put you right around that power level fairly simply.

On a totally different note, I went to Formula Drift down at Infineon Raceway in Sonoma on saturday. Figured I'd share some of the 2,145 photos I took: http://tinyurl.com/2bhou7j

Amandyke fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 13, 2010

WRX_FTW
Jan 16, 2010
Do love my 05 STI.

And on the list of good tuners, I request andrewtech automotive out of maryland be added. Their the sole distributor of PPG gears for the US.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

Watommi posted:

So glad to find a Subaru thread here in AI.

Me and the wife are considering a move from San Diego to Maine within the next year. I already have a 4wd, but we're thinking her Toyota Matrix has to go. I've been looking at 2-3 year old Foresters and Outbacks, Carmax seems to have plenty of low mileage cars in that range for $15k-$19k. I've always heard these cars have great AWD systems and are good for the snow, but how good/bad are they? Can we buy a base model and put decent tires on and be good, or should we spring for a certain trim level? Any tips/warnings for someone who's never before owned a Subaru?

Now if I could just talk her into learning stick so we could buy a manual.
You won't need to sell your Matrix. Just get some snow tires.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

This may sound silly, but I'm rather annoyed that Subaru decided to put Dunlop SP Sport 01 tires on the WRX and then decide to wait until fall to release it.

It's looking like I'm going to have to order one and if I do that's going to put it at the end of November before I take delivery on the car. That means it's entirely possible that the weather will be as such that I can't drive the car home on the day it arrives. We've had our first snow as early as Halloween before.

I just wish we got the choice of what tires come on the car. Maybe I'll see if the dealer will comp me replacement costs of the tires and swap them out as soon as the car comes in.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

Click here for the full 768x576 image.

Freshly 1/2 debadged trunk and super wide mud flaps that I love.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

bull3964 posted:

This may sound silly, but I'm rather annoyed that Subaru decided to put Dunlop SP Sport 01 tires on the WRX and then decide to wait until fall to release it.
spend $300-400 on a set of used wrx wheels with good all seasons or snow tires?

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 14, 2010

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

jamal posted:

spend $300-400 on a set of used wrx wheels with good all seasons or snow tires?

It's not the practicalities that bother me. I'm keeping my 2002 WRX and I already have a 2nd set of stock wheels for that car so I have the bases covered. I'll have a set of all seasons on 2002 WRX wheels and I'm planning on replacing my worn summer tires on the other set of wheels with a set of winters.

It just annoys me that I'm going to have to take the brand new car and swap 9 year old wheels (and 30mm narrower tires) on it as soon as I drive it off the lot (and then be annoyed by the TPMS light.)

Though, that doesn't help me if it's icy/snowy the day I'm supposed to pick it up. It just seems dumb to offer a car (one that comes with a winter package no less) with tires that are scary below freezing and death in the snow. They basically resigned themselves as unable to sell a car for 3-4 months out of a year.

It's basically all so they can post better reviews in magazines. Anyone who is going to push the car enough to want summer rubber would probably like something better than the Dunlops anyways and anyone who isn't would rather have all seasons.

The brother of one of my friends actually messed up a brand new Mazdaspeed 3 pretty bad on a test drive due to this very issue. That car came with Potenza RE050A tires and he was test driving the car in January when it was about 21 degrees outside. The sales guy failed to inform him of the summer rubber (if he even knew himself) and he ripped the front bumper off going into a ditch when the car failed to hold a turn. He really wasn't even caning it either (I know the guy, very responsible). The dealer picked up the whole tab for that mess.

I kid you not, I would almost rather it come with RE92s.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 14, 2010

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

bull3964 posted:

It's not the practicalities that bother me. I'm keeping my 2002 WRX and I already have a 2nd set of stock wheels for that car so I have the bases covered. I'll have a set of all seasons on 2002 WRX wheels and I'm planning on replacing my worn summer tires on the other set of wheels with a set of winters.

Are 16s going to fit a new WRX? I'd imagine they upgraded the braking system a bit since that model year.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

ssjonizuka posted:

Are 16s going to fit a new WRX? I'd imagine they upgraded the braking system a bit since that model year.

Actually, yes. I'd even be confident some 15" will fit, it certainly does on my 06

The sliding calipers make it easier too.

Had my head under the STI's bonnet to figure out what on earth is going wrong - apart from the flames, which was pretty obvious :)

There is a very bad misfire and also there seems to be a good deal of blow by that seems like it's pressurising the sump as the dip stick got blown out. Interestingly, the bottle I was using for a temporary oil catch seems to have been sucked hard into itself like it's been exposed to vacuum. We also found a line goign from the PCD line was kinked and blocked.

So I today took the plugs out - 1 and 3 were in good order witht he correct colour on the plugs saying runnign correctly. No 4 came out the same - No 2 came out dry carbon foulled, so this is where the misfire originates.

A compression test shows up as follows -

1st test done when enigine cold - 2 110psi, 4 120 psi, 1 115 psi, 3 115 psi (I know, should have been warm but I really would have been unwelcome at the time if I started up)

2nd test done wet - all 4 between 160 and 165 psi.

That's as far as I have gone, I'm hoping to get back there and do a warm compression test but I'm not sure I'll find anything different.

Right now I'm not sure exactly what is going on - I have the oil issues that signal cracked ring, valve stem guide worm or piston cracked yet I have apparently compression of a good engine. Right now the only thing I can think of that explains the misfire and oil spray is a buggered PCV and a coil pack failure.

Anyone else got a reading or suggestions what next? We were considerign a leakdown but right now I'm not convinced that'll show up anything

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ssjonizuka posted:

Brake size and clearance is the same since the 2002 models. There have been some changes in the braking system, but none that would affect fitment.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, at least I have some good news in my car search. I've finally settled on a price of $100 over invoice for whatever I end up getting (general inventory or a special order). It's probably not the BEST that's possible, but from what I tell it's lower than average.

So, I'm likely going to order one tonight. I just hope I don't have to wait a full 8-10 weeks to get my order fulfilled.

I could walk home with one tonight if I wanted to settle for white. However, ugh, white.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That's probably better than I could manage from our local dealers. Congrats on your purchase, what colour are you getting that's not white? Plasma Blue looks pretty good on all the cars I've seen it on so far.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's probably better than I could manage from our local dealers. Congrats on your purchase, what colour are you getting that's not white? Plasma Blue looks pretty good on all the cars I've seen it on so far.

Well, nothing is purchased yet :) I'm going to be getting the gray. Plasma blue is only available on the STIs so that's out as an option. I don't really want to have two cars of the same color so WR Blue is out. Black, Red, Silver, or White just don't do it for me so gray it is.

I actually ran across a 2011 gray hatchback in a parking lot last Friday. It was probably one of the first sold if not THE first sold in the area. The new body style makes all the difference and the new wheels looked amazing with the gray paint.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Plasma Blue is available on Canadian WRXes, though it wouldn't be the first time Subaru Canada offers weird colour combinations (like WRB 2.5is). We also don't necessarily get the BBS wheels with the hatch WRX, though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Plasma Blue is available on Canadian WRXes, though it wouldn't be the first time Subaru Canada offers weird colour combinations (like WRB 2.5is). We also don't necessarily get the BBS wheels with the hatch WRX, though.

Yeah, I know it's available in Canada on the regular WRXs, but in the US it's an STI only color. I guess they figured since they took the body style away as a visual distinguishing point, they needed something else that was STI only.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

bull3964 posted:

I could walk home with one tonight if I wanted to settle for white. However, ugh, white.

Noooooooo white owns.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Noooooooo white owns.

Aspen white owns, the satin white looks like cream puke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Bob Log posted:

Aspen white owns, the satin white looks like cream puke.
Shut your dirty mouth. My car begs to differ. In the right like, it looks AMAZING. In the wrong light, it just looks white.