Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

MJP posted:

Quick, stupid question: a regular gigabit Ethernet connection basically negates any advantage of a SATA 6.0gb/sec HDD? Just making sure before I buy a DNS-323 and SATA 3.0 HDDs.

The faster speeds, along with USB 3, are useful for stacking multiple disks or very fast SSD's on one connector. As such it would be beneficial to a minor degree for file serving whilst insignificant for raw block serving like iSCSI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

MrMoo posted:

The faster speeds, along with USB 3, are useful for stacking multiple disks or very fast SSD's on one connector. As such it would be beneficial to a minor degree for file serving whilst insignificant for raw block serving like iSCSI.

Is it a palpable difference if I'm going to be playing h264 MKVs over my 802.11n LAN and over the Internet in general? Or is it such that it'd only require an extra 15-20 seconds of buffering or transferring before playing?

Dunno if it helps but I'd be running two 1tb drives over RAID 1.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

what is this posted:

Wow, you are literally a crazy person. Is it CP you're storing or just your facebook passwords in a text file?
Financial information, supporting documents, and a bunch of media I ripped myself that's taken about two YEARS of my life because there's so much of it and I ran out of disk space repeatedly, causing delays. Hence, why I got fed up and decided to move to several terabytes of disks (I severely underestimated the sheer amount of media my household owns). My KeePass / LastPass database is fairly small, but it does include a lot of information that would be devastating not necessarily because of immediate damage but because I'd have to go change about 140+ passwords and make phone calls. It'd be a lot worse than me losing my wallet basically.

I also had a couple incidents almost a decade ago where I lost almost all the work I had done on some personal projects due to a hard drive crash (combined with corrupted backups!), and it's probably cost me job interviews and a lot of heartache.

Personal data is still data that you may have labored over, and to rate some data as "nah, I wouldn't mind losing it with no warning one day" is a bit odd to me. If you have 10,000+ CDs that you'd have to rip, tag, and download album art for again, it's still time you have to spend to recover it all, so wouldn't it be worth spending an extra hard drive on to keep from a bunch of it getting blown up if a drive died?

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
This is a repost from the home router thread, but may apply here too. 2 days ago I lost network connectivity that I tracked down to a faulty 8-Port SMC gigabit switch. So I started researching what are considered good unmanaged switches for home use. I've also had two Netgear switches go bad on me (after about a year+ usage), And Netgear's gigabit switches tend to run really hot.

I vaguely recall reading that some cheapie switches work in gigabit speeds but not if all ports are are active/transferring. Through research I found that the HP ProCurve line is highly regarded as good model that works full speed on all ports. The ProCruve 1400/1800 lines were end of life in 2009 and being replaced with the 1410/1810 lines.

So I figured the end of life lines might be selling cheap. I found a guy on eBay selling refurbished (supposed just pulled) 1800-24G (24 port) for $225. Pretty drat good deal. The 1400 line is unmanaged, but the 1800 line is smart (web) managed (meaning not fully managed, no console, but has a web interface for configuring VLAN and link aggregation). ProCurves are also fanless and have a lifetime warranty. Since I have a couple of motherboards in the home office with dual nics that support link aggregation (combining nics or faster connectivity) I can finally try it out on a home affordable switch.

I'm guessing some of you with home built NAS setups have link aggregation support/capability. The Synology DS1010+ also supports link aggregation:
http://www.synology.com/us/products/DS1010+/perf.php
http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=149&t=22894

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 16, 2010

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

MJP posted:

Quick, stupid question: a regular gigabit Ethernet connection basically negates any advantage of a SATA 6.0gb/sec HDD? Just making sure before I buy a DNS-323 and SATA 3.0 HDDs.

Well, since with an average giabit connection, you're looking at what, 80MB/s max? I doubt you'll even saturate a 1.5g SATA drive.

I stream HD videos from my QNAP NAS thats running slow green drives and they work fine. Network statistics say less then 2MB/s per stream and this model is software-raid and I can get at most 50MB/s read anyway.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I just can't get over the corruption bugs that sat there for like 4 months before someone fixed them. This is why I'm using ZFS, because gently caress having my poo poo look like it's there, but be silently hosed up.

That makes it sound like MS was just twiddling their thumbs for four months and then decided to fix some minor bug. That isn't true at all.

Nowadays you can pretty much view WHS like a bunch of regular NTFS formatted drives with a process running that spreads files amongst all the drives and makes copies of files to more than one drive for folders that you have duplication turned on. You can take any one of the drives out, put it in another NTFS-capable system, and read all the files on it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FidgetyRat posted:

Well, since with an average giabit connection, you're looking at what, 80MB/s max? I doubt you'll even saturate a 1.5g SATA drive.

Eh, I've got a cheap Netgear 5-port gig switch, and I can slam 100+MB/s through it no problem. Part of that might be quality of NIC and/or CPU though; I notice my CPU load spiking pretty hard when I'm doing a transfer like that, so cheapass NICs might be the biggest killer.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Thermopyle posted:

That makes it sound like MS was just twiddling their thumbs for four months and then decided to fix some minor bug. That isn't true at all.

Nowadays you can pretty much view WHS like a bunch of regular NTFS formatted drives with a process running that spreads files amongst all the drives and makes copies of files to more than one drive for folders that you have duplication turned on. You can take any one of the drives out, put it in another NTFS-capable system, and read all the files on it.

My point was that it was a known error, even if that error was a complete ratfucker to fix, it was still there. Plus after getting used to the neckbeard method of server administration, I kinda like Solaris. I can no longer ever separate myself from slocate.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Mr. Blastaway posted:

Hey guys, I need some advice on a 4 bay Sans Digital enclosure I bought.

Are these Sans Digital bays any good?

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

crm posted:

Are these Sans Digital bays any good?

Well, it's not actually a RAID enclosure, but sure if you need a place to put some drives it works fine.

That's basically all you're paying for.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

what is this posted:

Well, it's not actually a RAID enclosure, but sure if you need a place to put some drives it works fine.

That's basically all you're paying for.

It's pretty handy if you want to clean up your desk of external enclosure bays / have a WHS box. The performance is pretty lovely, though. 20MB/s USB, 70~ MB/s eSATA.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

PopeOnARope posted:

It's pretty handy if you want to clean up your desk of external enclosure bays / have a WHS box. The performance is pretty lovely, though. 20MB/s USB, 70~ MB/s eSATA.

I'm not sure what you're talking about - it's full 3Gbps eSATA. If you get slower speed it's your drives or your software RAID.

It's just an enclosure. It doesn't affect speed.

It's possible that one of us is confused about the model we're talking about here (could be me I suppose).

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
I wonder how one of those sans digital devices would work with my H340's linux install.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

what is this posted:

I'm not sure what you're talking about - it's full 3Gbps eSATA. If you get slower speed it's your drives or your software RAID.

It's just an enclosure. It doesn't affect speed.

It's possible that one of us is confused about the model we're talking about here (could be me I suppose).

The enclosure has a port multiplier chip in it. Either that or the jMicron controller I have it connected to are the source of this issue.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
I own 2 the sans digital ones (and a 3rd for work). They have 2 types of models you can get, with a controller that does software raid (or just pass through if your smart), and one with hardware raid built into the box.

The non hardware raid one like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111139&cm_re=sans_digital_5_bay-_-16-111-139-_-Product works just fine and you'll get whatever speed your drives are. You will need to use the card or something that supports a port multiplier.

The hardware raid one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111145&cm_re=sans_digital_5_bay-_-16-111-145-_-Product with raid 5 I hit 110-160 Write speed and something a little faster read. The raid is done in the enclosure so you can just use usb/esata, you don't need the included card.

Also I noticed a large difference in build quality between the 5 bay and 4 bay hardware raid ones. Spend the extra money and get the 5 bay.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Do any of those sans digital do RAID6? Is there any bonus to Raid6 other than being protected if 2+ drives go down at one time?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

crm posted:

Do any of those sans digital do RAID6? Is there any bonus to Raid6 other than being protected if 2+ drives go down at one time?

No comment on the Sans Digital device but yes, RAID6 is entirely for the extra parity data letting you survive a two-drive failure (when properly set up, this should only be in the event you have a drive failure while a rebuild completes).

Munky_Magic
Jul 3, 2004
I would really appreciate any advice that people have on how I should structure the storage for my upcoming home server build. It will mainly act as a file server, but I am also going to use it a lot for running multiple VMs. Now, it is unlikely that I'll ever have multiple VMs doing very intensive operations at the same time. However, I really want to minimise the chances of I/O bottlenecks.

So currently I was thinking of the following (where each item in the list is a separate hard drive)

- 1xTB for the base system (Win Server 2k8 r2), which will host the VMs as well as acting as a file server.
- 1xTB for all of the VMs.
- 1x1.5TB for multimedia storage and backup (expanding this in the future to multiple drives as required).

Now, by separating the base OS and VMs I hope to avoid bottlenecks. However, this setup has nothing in the way of backups. Now, I don't anticipate actually ever having anything too vital on the VMs themselves, nor the multimedia hard drive (with the exception of my photo collection). Aside from this, I was just thinking of creating images of the base OS and VM hard drives, as well as backing up any important data from the multimedia drive, and storing all of this on an external hard drive (with scheduled weekly/nightly backups depending on how often the data changes or how sensitive it is).

I'm just not sure if there is a blaringly obvious better setup for my requirements. I am also considering using an online backup service for my absolute most important files, but this might be overkill.

At the end of the day, I'll be using my laptop as my development machine and publishing to various VMs for testing. Aside from that my current desktop is used entirely for gaming, and therefore doesn't have anything much of particular importance on it. I may even back up some data to that machine as an extra level of redundancy.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Holy poo poo, I can't believe I finally figured out what that goddamn annoying idle seek grinding was causing.

gently caress you SMART Offline Data Collection!

If you ever find yourself with a WD Green (and I guess other manufacturer) and notice it uniformly seeking like poo poo while idle, install smartmontools and disable it by running smartctl -o off /dev/yourdisk (yeah, it uses Linux notation in Windows...)

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

code:
16299+1 records in
16299+1 records out
8545757083 bytes transferred in 33.065952 secs (258445820 bytes/sec)
:woop: ZFS supremacy (for those bad at math that's 246MB/s)

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
edit: nevermind!

TLG James fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 8, 2010

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I'm looking for a multi-bay device that supports RAID-1 (or RAID-5, depending on price), but that will attach directly to my media center via USB.

So, something like a NAS -- but without the network connectivity. I've looked around and the offerings that I've found have been from lovely companies and have received horrible reviews. The only exceptions are certain Drobos, but those are too expensive. I'm looking for something on par with the ReadyNAS Duo or the Linkstation Duo... but obviously it doesn't need to have user permissions and so forth, since it's directly hooked up to the host PC.

Any suggestions?

tl;dr version: I want an external USB hard drive/enclosure that does RAID1 or RAID5.

angelfoodcakez
Mar 22, 2003
crank dat robocop
The original non-networked Drobo did this, minus the real-life raid. It used it's own raid-like system to handle redundancy on multiple drives, and it attached via USB.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Holy poo poo, I can't believe I finally figured out what that goddamn annoying idle seek grinding was causing.

gently caress you SMART Offline Data Collection!

If you ever find yourself with a WD Green (and I guess other manufacturer) and notice it uniformly seeking like poo poo while idle, install smartmontools and disable it by running smartctl -o off /dev/yourdisk (yeah, it uses Linux notation in Windows...)

Hey thanks, im going to try this because the GP 1.5TB i have is slow as snails.

Billy Shears
Jul 9, 2009

I cut Paul's hair.
I am just dipping my foot into the world of raid, so please take it easy on me.

I'd like some feedback on my server/raid project that I hope to undertake soon. The general idea is to run a physically small and power efficient VM server, using multiple VMs for various core operations - file server, voip, etc.

Parts:

Asus M4A88T-I Deluxe (Mini ITX)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131659

AMD Athlon II X4 600E (Quad core, 45w)

4GB RAM

For file storage I was thinking of attaching a Sans Gigital TowerRAID TR5UT-BP 5 Bay (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111145&cm_re=sans_digital_5_bay-_-16-111-145-_-Product) and continue expansion with these raid enclosures by using motherboard's onboard usb3 and esata ports.

This might be overdoing it, but maybe a software raid1 to two of the Sans Digital enclosures running raid5, so a mirrored raid5 for maximum data lose prevention. Maybe I'm going too far with this.

Wanderer89
Oct 12, 2009
Now that opensolaris won't be seeing any more additional releases, do y'all have any consensus on what distro has the best zfs/raidz implementation? I've seen a few new purpose-built distros from ex-team members, and just wondering if anyone had used any of them, or at this point it's time to use a zfs port on something else?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Wanderer89 posted:

Now that opensolaris won't be seeing any more additional releases, do y'all have any consensus on what distro has the best zfs/raidz implementation? I've seen a few new purpose-built distros from ex-team members, and just wondering if anyone had used any of them, or at this point it's time to use a zfs port on something else?

Probably doesn't help you a ton in the short term, but Linux is getting a native ZFS port this month, according to this article. http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=15232

conntrack
Aug 8, 2003

by angerbeet

G-Prime posted:

Probably doesn't help you a ton in the short term, but Linux is getting a native ZFS port this month, according to this article. http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=15232

Might be a while before or even ever that module is stable. If i read it correctly it's also a reimplementation? There will be bugs.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy
I'm also shopping for an OpenSolaris replacement (Nexenta might be it), but fyi:

http://github.com/behlendorf/zfs/wiki

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

DLCinferno posted:

I'm also shopping for an OpenSolaris replacement (Nexenta might be it), but fyi:

http://github.com/behlendorf/zfs/wiki

http://www.illumos.org/ is basically opensolaris with all the latest patches in, and should be out soonish. I'm running a franken-build one of their coders put out as a stopgap style thing until they complete the closed source rebuilds and get an ISO out.

Because of the way opensolaris and regular Solaris are compatible with eachother, and the fact that it's fairly stable by default means I can keep this box going for a year or so until they come out with Solaris 11 and we get to see the cool new stuff they come up with.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Wanderer89 posted:

There's going to be Solaris Express 11 in fall. While the license only allows you to develop, debug, test and show off applications, I doubt Oracle's going to raid your home if you do something else. Plus, there's apparently an upgrade path planned to go from the last OpenSolaris build (I guess the stable one) to SX.

CheeseDog
Apr 22, 2005

Hagrid: "An' they haven't invented a spell our Hermione can' do."

Wanderer89 posted:

Apparently FreeBSD will be actively supporting ZFS in the future, with the latest version of ZFS soon to be ported to FreeBSD.

http://techie-buzz.com/foss/zfs-support-will-continue-in-freebsd.html
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODU2MQ

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah, I don't know what to do with my OpenSolaris install. I'm basically just biding my time until BTRFS implements RAID-5 and I am done with Solaris. It's great in the enterprise and awful in the home.

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah, I don't know what to do with my OpenSolaris install. I'm basically just biding my time until BTRFS implements RAID-5 and I am done with Solaris. It's great in the enterprise and awful in the home.
It's awful in the enterprise too :science:

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

n0n0 posted:

I'm looking for a multi-bay device that supports RAID-1 (or RAID-5, depending on price), but that will attach directly to my media center via USB.

So, something like a NAS -- but without the network connectivity. I've looked around and the offerings that I've found have been from lovely companies and have received horrible reviews. The only exceptions are certain Drobos, but those are too expensive. I'm looking for something on par with the ReadyNAS Duo or the Linkstation Duo... but obviously it doesn't need to have user permissions and so forth, since it's directly hooked up to the host PC.

Any suggestions?

tl;dr version: I want an external USB hard drive/enclosure that does RAID1 or RAID5.

I just posted a few posts up this exact thing. Hardware raid 5 in the enclosure (or raid 1)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111145&cm_re=sans_digital_5_bay-_-16-111-145-_-Product

It's still expensive but cheaper than drobo and faster, though over usb you wont notice, over esata you will. Here is the 4 bay if the 5 is too expensive. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111143&cm_re=sans_digital_4_bay-_-16-111-143-_-Product

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
*oops wrong thread*

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 13, 2010

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

lilbean posted:

It's awful in the enterprise too :science:

Sup fellow Solaris buddy
:smith::hf::smith:

Most of my Solaris problems are political, since our Solaris guy is crazy and controlling.

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Sup fellow Solaris buddy
:smith::hf::smith:

Most of my Solaris problems are political, since our Solaris guy is crazy and controlling.
We've been migrating off of it this year to Linux, and only have a few machines left. ZFS was fantastic, but it's not worth everything else that comes with the OS. And gently caress SPARCs for a web shop. No idea who thought that was a good idea.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

lilbean posted:

We've been migrating off of it this year to Linux, and only have a few machines left. ZFS was fantastic, but it's not worth everything else that comes with the OS. And gently caress SPARCs for a web shop. No idea who thought that was a good idea.

I need to find something to hold 12TB of data while I try to find a OpenSolaris replacement :ohdear:

Either that, or wait for *BSD ZFS to catch up to my pool version, and then import the sucker. God, I hate dealing with Solaris, but at least BSD is less idiosyncratic about stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

movax posted:

I need to find something to hold 12TB of data while I try to find a OpenSolaris replacement :ohdear:

Either that, or wait for *BSD ZFS to catch up to my pool version, and then import the sucker. God, I hate dealing with Solaris, but at least BSD is less idiosyncratic about stuff.

I'm waiting on BSD to have a kernel mode CIFS driver and the latest ZFS version.