Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009
So after a few weeks of the drz dying every time when coming off throttle, I did the JD jet kit with 3x3 and it's so awesome. Initially I left the stock pilot jet in but that caused a really bad hanging idle. The air/fuel screw and the idle screw couldn't bring the idle down. I pulled it all back apart, swapped for the new pilot from the kit and now it's perfect. Also, the front end came up pretty easy in 2nd (like 1 inch, I'm new). I'm really happy I did it.

e: It's still dying when I come off the throttle. I've gotten really good at tearing the bike down to the carbs. And I'm going to have to pull them again to put the stock pilot back in since it still idles with the extended air/fuel screw turned all the way in. So with the a/f turned all the way in I was able to bring the idle down with the idle adjustment screw, but that brought me back to dying off throttle. Any ideas?

Empire Waffles fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Squid in training

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXi0xJ8tOAA

edit: crossposting 'dis from the trackday thread, just because I like to see pictures of myself doing retarded things.

needknees fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 14, 2010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

If the KTM 690 SM isn't SpyVsSpy enough for you... don't panic! Bust out that pocket book because your prayers have been answered.

More on this... THING

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
What in the world is that... it just makes no sense.

( Me grimlock angry supermoto. )

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Spiffness posted:

If the KTM 690 SM isn't SpyVsSpy enough for you... don't panic! Bust out that pocket book because your prayers have been answered.

More on this... THING

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Man, I want to buy a KTM 690 or 625 sm but there are NONE for sale anywhere in my area. Ive been looking all summer and the only ktms people sell are like 80cc dirt bikes. Theres a dealer but they only sell dirtbikes as well.

Wow, according to their website, their current inventory is a whopping 5 bikes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Clank posted:

Man, I want to buy a KTM 690 or 625 sm but there are NONE for sale anywhere in my area. Ive been looking all summer and the only ktms people sell are like 80cc dirt bikes. Theres a dealer but they only sell dirtbikes as well.

From what I've heard, KTM recently changed the way they have street bikes ordered, basically requiring 10+ bikes to be ordered at a time, killing any bikes available on the sales floor. However, you could still consider finding another dealership and seeing if they'll ship to your local one. Are you looking used or new?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Spiffness posted:

More on this... THING

That tail is cool, but look at the pics in the ad, is the bellypan touching the front tyre?!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Clank posted:

Where do you live?

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
I heart sumo

toolshed
Sep 1, 2001
Goddammit - which one is that, and where do I get one?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That can't be America... can it?

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Z3n posted:

From what I've heard, KTM recently changed the way they have street bikes ordered, basically requiring 10+ bikes to be ordered at a time, killing any bikes available on the sales floor. However, you could still consider finding another dealership and seeing if they'll ship to your local one. Are you looking used or new?

I was looking used.
I looked a little more and turns out theres a dealership that sells 640sm's. Whats the deal with those? I never heard of 640, only 625 and 690. Then again I'm not all that familiar with KTM bikes.

BlackMK4 posted:

Where do you live?

Manitoba

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006

toolshed posted:

Goddammit - which one is that, and where do I get one?

It's my fully moded Yamaha Serow. You can see the pics here, specs are two posts bellow.

BlackMK4 posted:

That can't be America... can it?

And its southern Brazil, more especifically the state of Rio Grande do Sul. That road is a small detour I take from the main road from my town to the misses town, it's some 15km long and goes down some 1000 meters. It has some long open areas like that where you can do 50mph nicely, some muddy, twisty, covered in trees and really narrow parts that going 15mph is too much, a small gravel part... And ends in a really twisty pavement side-road that's just a loving blast.

I'm looking for a camera to record this thing, it's just wait too much fun :)

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Clank posted:

I was looking used.
I never heard of 640, only 625 and 690. Then again I'm not all that familiar with KTM bikes.

The 640 is much like the 625. They're good bikes.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

ReelBigLizard posted:

The 640 is much like the 625. They're good bikes.

If I'm remembering things correctly the 640 still has the same engine as the 625 but has a larger (11l?) tank and passenger footpegs. So basically exactly what I want my 625 to be :(

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I'm looking at a couple options for supermoto purchase. I think I'm pretty set on the DRZ400 but a local dealer also has a 2008 or 09 DR650 (no miles on it) customized for sumo use. How is that bike for supermotard use compared to something like a DRZ400? From what I could tell, the 650 had upgraded (upright) forks, bigger brake rotor, renthal bars, some sort of streetfighter-esque headlight setup, stock gauges.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I'm looking at a couple options for supermoto purchase. I think I'm pretty set on the DRZ400 but a local dealer also has a 2008 or 09 DR650 (no miles on it) customized for sumo use. How is that bike for supermotard use compared to something like a DRZ400? From what I could tell, the 650 had upgraded (upright) forks, bigger brake rotor, renthal bars, some sort of streetfighter-esque headlight setup, stock gauges.

Does the DR also have 17 inch rims? The DR650 is going to be heavier, with a flatter torque curve although roughly the same amount of power (air cooled 650 over a water cooled 400), without nearly the hop ups or aftermarket available. I'd go with the DRZ.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

It did have 17 inch rims with street tires on it. You pretty much confirmed what I suspected, though. Plus, I could get a DRZ for cheaper than they want for the 650.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

It did have 17 inch rims with street tires on it. You pretty much confirmed what I suspected, though. Plus, I could get a DRZ for cheaper than they want for the 650.

The only way I'd want the DR is if it was 60-75% of the price of the DRZ. If it's more expensive, then...hell no.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009
I am debating the merits of rejetting my drz and punching holes in the airbox as everyone over at advrider and thumpertalk seem to advocate or just buying a new carb altogether...

Is the gain from the jet kit and airbox drill worth the time and effort? The investment isn't too steep so I am intrigued.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Do all three, really.

Edit: Always do the airbox mod on a DRZ. Rejet after you uncork the pipe. Or better yet, buy a carb, then jet that properly.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Get a KTM 625/640/690 Sumo :v: I love the drz but drat are they overpriced

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Christoff posted:

Get a KTM 625/640/690 Sumo :v: I love the drz but drat are they overpriced

I would love to but there's only one KTM dealer in Connecticut which doesn't look like it has any sumos and they are nowhere near me on Craigslist.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I would love to but there's only one KTM dealer in Connecticut which doesn't look like it has any sumos and they are nowhere near me on Craigslist.

Go ask around at the shop. that's how I found my 625. They might be able to point you to a used one.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

needknees posted:

Go ask around at the shop. that's how I found my 625. They might be able to point you to a used one.

Yeah I gave them a call today. Most depressing thing ever. A sad-sounding salesman informed me that they are doing horrible on sales and that they will not be selling streetbikes for the foreseeable future. In addition, they acknowledged that supermoto stuff generally doesn't exist in Connecticut (aka, the lamest state in the country) and that finding a used KTM here would be a real piece of work.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Yeah I gave them a call today. Most depressing thing ever. A sad-sounding salesman informed me that they are doing horrible on sales and that they will not be selling streetbikes for the foreseeable future. In addition, they acknowledged that supermoto stuff generally doesn't exist in Connecticut (aka, the lamest state in the country) and that finding a used KTM here would be a real piece of work.

From talking with my shop it sounds like KTM is making things very difficult for smaller shops :(. Basically, they have three lines a shop can carry: street, competition (dirt), and atv. A few years ago KTM changed how they deal with inventory, mandating minimum orders for each of the three lines. Not only this, but the shop had very little say in what units they got or when they got them. So for areas like mine that actually have WEATHER (Z3n :argh: ), a kiss of death for the shop would be KTM going "Hey here take 20 street bikes at the end of november." Not only were number of units required pretty high and some small shops might not be able to foot the bill, but they might not even physically have the space to house them!

So, when these new inventory regs came out many small shops said "gently caress it" and only carry one line. Anywhere reasonably close to me only carries dirtbikes, including the local shop.

I think it's fate that I found my KTM :allears:. I knew the shop didn't carry street bikes, and that anything non-dirt was rare as hell in my area but I went down to ask around anyway. Turns out a guy was there who was picking up (another) new dirtbike had bought a 625 from the same shop when they still could selectively order streetbikes. And he was thinking about selling it. And threw a good price out to me. Clearly this was a sign.

I had a 625 soon thereafter :flashfap:

If the shop is close I'd just go down and bs for awhile. They might know of someone they sold a sumo to and might point you in their direction.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

needknees posted:

If the shop is close I'd just go down and bs for awhile. They might know of someone they sold a sumo to and might point you in their direction.

Not to mention if they've got any enduros you could always work out a method for doing a wheel swap. KTM wheels are pretty standard when it comes to wheel swaps, but you might need some form of bracketry for the bigger front rotor, not sure.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I'm in the same boat as you if that makes you feel any better.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Put this on last night:

Along with some new Vesrah pads :woop:. I think I discovered why my brakes weren't quite up to par with the stock setup... Before my trackday a couple weeks ago I took the (stock) pads out to inspect and clean them up a little. They had plenty of life left, the backing plates were in perfect shape, etc. Ran the trackday, brakes were ok at the beginning of the day but once the pace picked up i was getting some serious pad fade. Still had good lever feel (replaced what was probably the OEM fluid with some RBF600) but I just wasn't getting much bite.

Well, last night I took a good look at the pads after throwing the new ones in there. There were freaking chunks missing out of the pad face :stare:. I think they got so hot the material just failed. Not cool. Oh well, now I have a nice new rotor and some pads that have proven themselves to be freakin awesome on there!

But, in my rush to clean things up in the garage as a huge rainstorm rolled through I neglected to realize something about the stock rotor setup... Realized it this morning as I rode to work no speed readout. The speedo sensor pickup was on the stock disc :downs:. Gotta figure out how to relocate it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hmm turns out you have knees. I feel I've been lied to.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Phat_Albert posted:

Hmm turns out you have knees. I feel I've been lied to.

Don't worry, they barely work.

Blown out my acl twice in the left knee, second time included a partial mcl tear and blew out a good chunk of medial meniscus PLUS bonus cartilage damage! Was hit by a truck while riding about five years ago, shattered my right patella.

So, needknees is not really a misnomer :smithicide:

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
So the other day turning left from a stop, I grabbed a bunch of gas on the DRZ. Well this was a side road and as I started to turn I felt the front slipping hard on some loose gravel. I was able to straighten the inputs and save it without much scare at all. Any other bike (more wight or less suspension travel) and I would have never been able to save it. This is about the fifth time I've done this with the DRZ. I LOVE SUPERMOTOS!

I am now beginning to hate all people who don't ride a motard. I hope to never be without one.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Oh god, a former co-worker has a few year old KTM 640 LC4 that's in pretty much new condition that he's looking to sell!

Tell me why I shouldn't buy this from him!
There isn't is there?!

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006

mattfl posted:

Oh god, a former co-worker has a few year old KTM 640 LC4 that's in pretty much new condition that he's looking to sell!

There isn't is there?!

Well, you could say that the fact that you're going to lose your license thanks to it is a reason...

But you know it really isn't! You'll be walking to jail with a smile from ear to ear :devil:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

mattfl posted:

There isn't is there?!

They vibrate like a paint mixer, have a pathetic instrument cluster, and even with the larger tank on the 640 over the 625 they have a minuscule range.

And you'll love every goddamn minute of it. :3:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Primo Itch posted:

Well, you could say that the fact that you're going to lose your license thanks to it is a reason...

But you know it really isn't! You'll be walking to jail with a smile from ear to ear :devil:

Since it's just sitting in his garage collection dust I'm going to see if I can "rent" it out for the weekend to "evaluate" whether I want to buy it offa him. He literally hasn't ridden it in over a year.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

needknees posted:

They vibrate like a paint mixer, have a pathetic instrument cluster, and even with the larger tank on the 640 over the 625 they have a minuscule range.

And you'll love every goddamn minute of it. :3:

So exactly what a SM should be then!

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006

mattfl posted:

So exactly what a SM should be then!

Eh, you already have your mind set, could've just as well just posted the "I've bought a sumo" post.

Welcome to the dark side!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Primo Itch posted:

Eh, you already have your mind set, could've just as well just posted the "I've bought a sumo" post.

Welcome to the dark side!

My 636 is going to be so lonely I foresee, might be time to ship her off to a better home!

edit:

Just found out it's a 2001. Anything to look for on this model year?

mattfl fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 24, 2010

• Locked thread