Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Podothehobbit posted:

Next step is to install the Camcon cam timing & air/fuel controller and a less restrictive exhaust. Then on to the actual turbo kit!

You're driving it around with totally oversized injectors and throttle body? Say goodbye to your cat(s) and economy. And maybe engine longevity as super rich mixtures at low RPM wash the oil off the cylinder walls, increasing wear exponentially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimster
May 15, 2004

you suck
This weekend was the first nice weather we've had in months, it's been consistently 95+ but it was low 80s this weekend so I tackled a project I have been wanting to do for months.

I ripped the powermaster brake system out of my Grand National and replaced it, pedal and all with a vacuum brake system. The powermaster failed on me and I nearly rearended someone earlier this year so I haven't driven it in a while waiting on this conversion. Other than a badly placed T for my vacuum source, it worked great. Brakes are good and solid now.

Also I:
replaced the battery in the Buick, my Dually, and my 85 Pickup, all had weak or dead batteries.
replaced the battery in one of my ATV's, tried to fix (unsuccessfully) my Polaris 700 Sportsman but no go so far, it will crank and idle fine but give it any gas and it just stalls right out.
replaced the ground cable to one of the batteries in the dually (goddamn do I hate side posts converted it to a good old top post mount).

Think I'll drive the GN to work again tomorrow, I've missed it these past few months.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Baby Hitler posted:

You're driving it around with totally oversized injectors and throttle body? Say goodbye to your cat(s) and economy. And maybe engine longevity as super rich mixtures at low RPM wash the oil off the cylinder walls, increasing wear exponentially.

I want to note that I agree with you and your altruistic motivation to post this; that said, any time someone posts about more fuel I start looking for this post, and I think that's funny.

Maybe we could just put it in the forum rules. v:v:v

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I jacked the MR2 up so I could check out the suspension and see if it was in need of new bushings and proceeded to almost have a heart attack when I saw the tyres.

Yeah, that doesn't look so good.

Needless to say I'm getting new tyres and not driving it for the moment.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
Haha maybe I will post a thread once the actual turbo install is under way.

Baby Hitler posted:

As for this the 1zz injectors are a massive 260cc vs the stock 1nz injectors at 200cc and seems to be the approved method of the Yaris/Vios community over in Japan/Thailand. Now you have me worried!

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes

rotarybob posted:

I think this should get its own thread for being so unique, with autocross videos and dyno numbers!

A turbo Yaris at an autox terrifies me. This was at the last autox completely stock, running r-comps on some aftermarket wheels. He placed 9th/53 in PAX times, and 20th/53 overall in raw times... completely stock. Godbless that man.

power
Nov 4, 2009
Someone flipped a stock Yaris at an autocross in my hometown last year. I'm not 100% sure of the circumstances beyond the fact that the vehicle had less than 5000km on it, and was written off. Apparently they had some very sticky rubber bolted on, or so the story goes. That must have been fun to explain to the wife.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

I want to try my girlfriend's stock Echo hatch at an autox sometime. It's an automatic, and doesn't have much power at all; but it's really light and it's pretty nimble. I think an Echo would do autox very nicely with a 5-speed.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

I want to note that I agree with you and your altruistic motivation to post this; that said, any time someone posts about more fuel I start looking for this post, and I think that's funny.

Maybe we could just put it in the forum rules. v:v:v

Altruistic? No, he's just doing something stupid and I reiterated what damage it probably will cause. Its so funny that someone makes a comment about someone's car modifications in Automotive Insanity?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Baby Hitler posted:

Altruistic? No, he's just doing something stupid and I reiterated what damage it probably will cause. Its so funny that someone makes a comment about someone's car modifications in Automotive Insanity?

What's funny about it is that on this subject you are like a trapdoor spider and your prey is posts about this sort of modification; when one pops up it's :munch: time. I mean this in the nicest possible way.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

I want to try my girlfriend's stock Echo hatch at an autox sometime. It's an automatic, and doesn't have much power at all; but it's really light and it's pretty nimble. I think an Echo would do autox very nicely with a 5-speed.

I learned to drive on a 2 door echo hatchback with a 5 speed. God drat that thing had pep.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?
I gave the brick a couple of coats of Zymol. Red is my favorite car color ever, but drat if doesn't take a lot of work to keep up in old age.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
Wow I started quite the derail! Well one last thing then before I crawl back into my hole.

I had a little fun at my first autocross awhile ago!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWTObyj83Wo

/end derail

Also Baby Hitler makes me sad. Why can't I destroy my engine in peace?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Stripped off my ten year old tint, swapped too dark tinted tails for stock, and replaced am broken sway bar end link.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Installed a camera mount.

I used a shelf rail, a pair of 1/4 bolts and a 3/8 bolt. The 3/8 bolt points upwards from the middle of the rail, and my ball-head attaches there. Waffleimages is down right now (I guess, can't get it to load), so I'll post pictures later. I bolted the rail to the metal frame under the parcel shelf, going through the square holes in the frame pieces, and using plenty of washers to get a solid attachment to metal, rather than simply squeezing the thin foam of the shelf. It's rock-solid, I can't get any movement at all yanking on the bolts or the rail. This took about 20 minutes, and cost less than $10.

Now I can make videos of my laughable incompetence at rally-cross.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

What's funny about it is that on this subject you are like a trapdoor spider and your prey is posts about this sort of modification; when one pops up it's :munch: time. I mean this in the nicest possible way.

Odd, I always think its 'bad fuel pump' whenever people ask, wrongly ordered modifications seems to me to be a distant second.

doogle
May 24, 2003

I installed AR catless downpipes and a Maddad street axle back on my 135i. I left the stock midpipe on there since the secondary cats are enough to pass emissions apparently. Exhaust note is amazing compared to stock and the downpipes added a decent bit of power as well.

Pre-exhaust install I was at 325whp with a tune (jb3 map 5) and an intake. I'm guessing it is around 340 or so and I can now run map 7 which should be good for 370ish whp. I'll probably get a horsepower freaks intercooler and leave it at map 5 though, 350ish whp is plenty for this car.

I'm going to dyno her next weekend, I'll do a map 5 run then a glory run with 109 fuel and the highest map.

Tomorrow I'm hardwiring my valentine 1 and maybe a detail.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Used a $3 metal strip to re-hang the Jeep's tail pipe. Got a good look at just how rusted the muffler is and holy poo poo it's time for a new exhaust.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Grimster posted:

This weekend was the first nice weather we've had in months, it's been consistently 95+ but it was low 80s this weekend so I tackled a project I have been wanting to do for months.

I ripped the powermaster brake system out of my Grand National and replaced it, pedal and all with a vacuum brake system. The powermaster failed on me and I nearly rearended someone earlier this year so I haven't driven it in a while waiting on this conversion. Other than a badly placed T for my vacuum source, it worked great. Brakes are good and solid now.

Also I:
replaced the battery in the Buick, my Dually, and my 85 Pickup, all had weak or dead batteries.
replaced the battery in one of my ATV's, tried to fix (unsuccessfully) my Polaris 700 Sportsman but no go so far, it will crank and idle fine but give it any gas and it just stalls right out.
replaced the ground cable to one of the batteries in the dually (goddamn do I hate side posts converted it to a good old top post mount).

Think I'll drive the GN to work again tomorrow, I've missed it these past few months.

How easy is it to convert from the Powermaster to good ol' fashioned Vacuum Boost? I have the Powermaster in my GN, and it's never given me any issues, but someday down the road I know it will and I don't want to find out when I mash the brakes and the front of my car meets the back of a truck.

Grimster
May 15, 2004

you suck
Ordered a kit from a guy (Dino1) on turbobuick.com it was $150 or $180 and had everything I needed.

It took me about 5 hours but I wasn't trying to hurry and that of course included 2 trips to O'reillys, first time for a 15mm deep socket (so many tools, and yet every time I do something I find I am missing somethign) second time for 1 foot of vac tubing to replace the dry rotted piece from the top of the intake to the PCV which is where I T'd into.

If I had to do it again I could probably do it in 2 hours if I tried.

The pedal is the hardest part goddamn is it up in there. I knew it was going to be so I just took my driver's side seat out completely and laid a pillow in there.

My butthole still puckers when I hit the brakes but I've drove it to work twice and around the house several times and so far, 100% reliable brakes, so I think I'm good to go.

Brakes are much smoother engaging too, less twitchy and grabby.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Click here for the full 1280x853 image.

Slapped this sucker on. Living in the South, I cannot wait for the hate and vandalism.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Yesterday my buddy and I drilled out the snapped bolts that were stuck in my differential's driver's side output flange (BMW E30). I had snapped them about two weeks ago, 4 of the 6 had backed out at the time and the first gear departure from the stoplight encouraged their demise.

It took two loving hours. Drilling 8.8 bolts is something I NEVER want to do EVER again. But I have 6 bolts torqued to 45 ft/lbs with blue locktite. gently caress off, diff flange bolts.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009
Cleaned my air filters and recharged them. drat these things get dirty.

Valithan
Mar 2, 2003
I own a 2007 Scion tC; I dedicated a few hours late last night to fixing a problem that has plagued me for almost a year. One of the strange quirks with the '07 tC is an issue with the lighting in the center console: often times the clock/AC lighting will suddenly cease to work if the headlights are turned on. I finally found a fix that worked online, apparently a random transistor on the '07 HVAC board has legs that come looses and that simply re-soldering them often fixes the problem. Didn't take too long and cured my late night boredom.
Console apart:

First chance I got to use my new soldering gun, plugged the board back into the car and had success!

Finished product:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Updated my firmware via a borrowed Tech2, and reset my SID. Wasn't it wonderful when cars had mechanical poo poo on them that wasn't computer controlled? For a few short seconds, I was making 60mpg. Now I'm back to about thirty average. :(

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Got it aligned.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Viggen posted:

Updated my firmware via a borrowed Tech2, and reset my SID. Wasn't it wonderful when cars had mechanical poo poo on them that wasn't computer controlled? For a few short seconds, I was making 60mpg. Now I'm back to about thirty average. :(

I need to borrow a Tech2. I need more Saab friends.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Towed it to my sister's house :(

My sister and I went to eat in my 1979 Malibu that has never once left me stranded anywhere in the 13 years I've owned it. Therefore, I've never had it towed, either. Well, today was its first day for both of those things. At first I thought it was just flooded, but there was no smell of gas and it wasn't even sputtering; just a solid cranking of the engine. I then checked for spark with the ol' screwdriver in the plug wire trick with no results, so I think my rotor and/or cap finally went to distributor heaven. Called my dad to get my truck and tow me home, but 'twas too far and the brakes are an absolute bitch without vacuum, so we settled on leaving it at my sister's since she lives just down the street.

I'm gonna have to check it either today or tomorrow since it was already too dark to look at. In any case, I'm going to check the coil, put a new cap and rotor on regardless, and maybe new wires and plugs while I'm at it. It needs a proper tune-up anyway, so yeah. If it's off, just R & R it (if it's cheap), I say.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Drove it to the garage. Embarrassing as it is having somebody else remove some stuck bolts, at least I seem to have found a good garage on my first try. The place is hilarious, it's down some tiny side street that's beginning to resemble the Somme and 'reception' is literally a shed attached to the side of the workshop.

*E* Just remembered that the king lead is still held to the ignition coil with rubber bands. I wonder if anybody will notice.

jammyozzy fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Sep 15, 2010

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
I corded the hell out of the shoulder of some Pirelli Grand am slicks :emo:

whoops

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
I wrapped up my audio install just to realize my '91 Accord has a really bad case of piston slap :(

All the more reason to go H22 after the winter :)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Finished cleaning up a replacement HID headlight for my Focus.

Ford doesn't make them anymore, any remaining in inventory are worth their weight in gold and as a result a decent-condition used OEM set are now selling for about the same price ($1000) they sold new. DEPO makes replacements but the projectors are lovely Chinese sourced units that have a beam pattern similar to a HID retrofit in halogen housings...so I transferred the projector out of my passenger-side headlight (only reusable part out of the whole unit) into the DEPO housing. They sealed the lens to the housing with this black poo poo that is solid at room temperature but softens above 110 F and liquefies using a heat gun. I pulled a baseball-sized wad of it out of the channel the lens sits in.

Next: sanding the chrome poo poo off of 95% of the internal trim piece so I can paint it before sealing the headlight back up. And then I get to do the whole process over again on the driver's side light :smithicide:

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit
Today, I did nothing to my car...but the '96 Jetta that t-boned me sure did a number.

Click here for the full 1296x968 image.

poo poo.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Fixed a squeak.

Pretty unremarkable except for the fact that I knew exactly what was sqeaking, the fix took about 10 minutes, and only took a quick spay of lubricant.

I put off doing this for about 3 months :downs: don't know why I decided to live with that annoying squeak.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

kill me now posted:

I corded the hell out of the shoulder of some Pirelli Grand am slicks :emo:

whoops

Get some camber and/or raise your pressures. I ran -3.8 on a car less than half your car's weight, so you might need quite a bit.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Geoj posted:

Ford doesn't make them anymore, any remaining in inventory are worth their weight in gold and as a result a decent-condition used OEM set are now selling for about the same price ($1000) they sold new.

What years had these? Looks like 2002 to ???

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Baby Hitler posted:

Get some camber and/or raise your pressures. I ran -3.8 on a car less than half your car's weight, so you might need quite a bit.

I'm maxed out at -2.6 which is all I'm willing to run on my daily driver but that's within pirelli's specs so i don't think it was the main issue. I'm 95% sure its a pressure issue, I was just experimenting with them to see where the sweet spot was pressure wise and one session at 32psi cold smoked the shoulders.

Its not the end of the world though, they were scrubs and only cost $85 each and I've got another front set getting mounted on the wheels now for a track day tomorrow. I'm going to start at 40psi cold and work my way down from there.

That said, they were worth nearly 6 seconds on a 1.9 mile course over the same size 555R2's. It was kind of fun not having to look in my mirrors once the entire day. According to my telemetry i spiked to a 1.8g braking force at one point (though i think that might be an anomaly the numerous 1.5g plots are more believable) along with 1.46g turning http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2PvS0f0b-I

kill me now fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 16, 2010

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Splizwarf posted:

What years had these? Looks like 2002 to ???

Technically they were available 2002-2004 on SVTs and the "Sony Mach Audio" edition sedan (within the Focus community they are often referred to as "mach HIDs"), but the lights themselves fit any model 2000-2004 with minor changes to the wiring harness (uses a VW headlight connector that can be spliced into the factory loom.)

Excellent write-up and how-to here: http://www.ofoc.ca/hid/

Geoj fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 16, 2010

mrskeezix
Feb 18, 2003

I have seen the future

So long, evil pre-cat, and see you in hell!

Technically I didn't do the work today, it was Saturday, but today I finally fixed the exhaust leak so the project is "done" now.

The car is a 2004 Sentra SE-R Spec V.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

onezero posted:

Today, I did nothing to my car...but the '96 Jetta that t-boned me sure did a number.

poo poo.

poo poo, indeed. Sure looks like you kept it in beautiful shape.