Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Will it impact image quality? Probably.

Will the stacked ND filters allow you to get a shot that would be impossible otherwise? Definitely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
Has anyone here tried to stack a linear polariser on a cpl? That will give you variable ND from 1 stop to many, with the anti glare bonuses. I'm wondering if it's worth doing.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 9, 2010

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Fists Up posted:

On the topic of filters. If i stack a few ND filters will it beging to affect picture quality?

I can't notice anything with two 3 stop filters on top of each other.

Yes. Inevitable, also required if you want the effect. Don't worry too much. Filters suck if they're doing NOTHING but impacting IQ, but if they're doing a job you need, well, you need it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I've used a vari-ND for this and that poo poo is rad as hell. Especially since you can just dial shutter and aperture then you just twist your vari-ND until your exposure is correct. Too bad they're laughably expensive (reason I don't own one).

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Yeh I pretty much have to in situations for video work.

Trying to stay around 1/50 in bright sunlight with a shallow depth of field is pretty impossible without a stack of filters.

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

Attention-starved & smugly condescending, the hipster has been deemed by
top scientists as:
"The self-important, unemployable clowns of the modern age."

Fists Up posted:

On the topic of filters. If i stack a few ND filters will it beging to affect picture quality?

I can't notice anything with two 3 stop filters on top of each other.

Depends on the quality of the filter. So long as it's not reducing the image quality to a noticeable point, I don't see why you couldn't do this. I mean, it's not as optimal a solution as one filter with the strength you need. But if that's what you have on hand and can get acceptable results, I don't see why you wouldn't stack the filters. The only way to know is to look at the results from your specific filters.

Shouldn't be a problem as long as they're not Best Buy Sunpaks or something of similar ilk.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The downside with cheaper ND filters is that at higher strengths, they can give the photo a purplish tinge. Also it can mess with the AF system because it might not be getting enough light to focus.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Being a cheapass, what's a good DIY way to mount a reflector on an umbrella stand ? I.e. something like this but for a stand instead of a tripod.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

HPL posted:

The downside with cheaper ND filters is that at higher strengths, they can give the photo a purplish tinge.

Yeah, the purplish tinge is due to infrared light. Lee's 10 Stop ND filter has a special layer that is supposed to take care of that.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
On my EOS 500D there is a "exposure level indicator (ELI)" to make pictures brighter or darker (excuse my layman terms). When would I use this and what does it do? Is using this preferable to adjusting the ISO value? In fact, does it change ISO or aperture or both?

Let's say I have a scene that is slightly over- or underexposed, would it be better or easier to change the ELI instead of other things? Thank you very much!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

On my EOS 500D there is a "exposure level indicator (ELI)" to make pictures brighter or darker (excuse my layman terms). When would I use this and what does it do? Is using this preferable to adjusting the ISO value? In fact, does it change ISO or aperture or both?

Let's say I have a scene that is slightly over- or underexposed, would it be better or easier to change the ELI instead of other things? Thank you very much!

It is the same as 'exposure compensation' and works where you think that the camera is getting it wrong.

e.g. you use the camera in Av/Tv/P and the important part of the subject is too dark. So, you dial up +1 and it makes the scene 1 stop brighter.

Basically, it works when the subject is lit trickily (eg against a dark/light background) or when the scene is not a neutral mix of lights and darks. The camera gets fooled and you can adjust.

Snow is a good example. The camera meter sees a lot of bright white, gets confused (cause it is expected a neutral scene) and so the picture is dark. You add +2 to brighten back again.

Look for articles on 'exposure compensation' to learn more

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

You use exposure compensation when the meter (in A/P/S mode) doesn't come up with an exposure you like (backlighting, bright/dark subject, etc).
It'll change whatever setting you leave up to the camera (shutter in A, aperture in S, both in P), which includes ISO if it's on auto.
Does that make sense?

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008
Hey I'm starting to shoot medium format in my class and I was wondering if there was a way for me to make a cheap bw filter using cellophane or something on the hood. This is probably the most retarded idea since anything not glass is going to reduce image quality and having me mess with my exposure.

Edit: Or is it possible to mess with the channel mixer in any meaningful way with scanned images?

Fiannaiocht fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 10, 2010

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Fiannaiocht posted:

I was wondering if there was a way for me to make a cheap bw filter using cellophane
:psypop: If you want black and white just shoot black and white film. Or scan the film. There is no filter that can take colored light and turn it into black and white light to shoot onto color film... which doesn't even make sense.

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008

TheLastManStanding posted:

:psypop: If you want black and white just shoot black and white film. Or scan the film. There is no filter that can take colored light and turn it into black and white light to shoot onto color film... which doesn't even make sense.

Black and white filters I mean, sorry I wasn't clear. Like red for skies and things.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

TheLastManStanding posted:

He's probably talking about colored filters commonly used with B&W film. I'm sure you could use cellophane for that, but it might look terrible. I wouldn't bother, when you can find crappy $15 filters that would probably perform 48534x better.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I think you'd be better off getting cheapass Chinese filters off of eBay or DealExtreme.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
You could probably go to the theater department of your school and beg/steal some scrap gels from their lights. As long as you get ones that aren't scratched/punctured/melted you should be fine. Just hold them in front of the lens.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

orange lime posted:

You could probably go to the theater department of your school and beg/steal some scrap gels from their lights. As long as you get ones that aren't scratched/punctured/melted you should be fine. Just hold them in front of the lens.

This is a good idea that I meant to share a while ago. My buddy used to tech for our university's theater, and they had enormous rings of "sample" gels from companies that just happen to be the perfect size to fit a speedlite that he was more than happy to give away.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

orange lime posted:

custom title

Haha, just noticed your custom title :) Did you get it from this subforum or somewhere else?

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Ringo R posted:

Haha, just noticed your custom title :) Did you get it from this subforum or somewhere else?

I still haven't figured it out, actually. It just showed up one day and I don't even remember making any lovely pedantic derails or complaining about a specific post. Whoever gave it to me was nowhere near as creative as the dude who gave me my last red title, which I kind of miss.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
I used a third party app to perform tethered shooting in Lightroom 2.. apparently LR3 can do this better. Anyone used LR3 for tethered shooting?

edit: Gah, Nikon D80 isn't in their list of tether capable cameras.. Wonder if I can get around this.

Cyberbob fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 13, 2010

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005
Has anyone had any experience with cheapy eBay optical triggers?

How sensitive are they? Do they need to point straight at the flash, or is anywhere ok? And can they trigger through windows / around corners?

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Zegnar posted:

How sensitive are they? Do they need to point straight at the flash, or is anywhere ok? And can they trigger through windows / around corners?
I bought the cheap official canon trigger (~$20) and it only lasted a year. It was nice to have, but its range was only about 15ft and it needed line of site. After it died I checked the reviews it seems the ebay ones are about the same quality (crappy performance that lasts a year), but they are a couple bucks cheaper. I ended up buying a corded remote.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Zegnar posted:

Don't do optical triggers- buy some ebay/dealextreme radio triggers. About the same price and fewer headaches (though depending on your flash some soldering might be required).

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.

Cyberbob posted:

I used a third party app to perform tethered shooting in Lightroom 2.. apparently LR3 can do this better. Anyone used LR3 for tethered shooting?

edit: Gah, Nikon D80 isn't in their list of tether capable cameras.. Wonder if I can get around this.

Lack of support sounds weird, but I have a 450D which works so I don't know :(
It's a pretty basic feature, auto-saves images as they're taken to a specified location. It's nice to preview pictures in a larger screen as it will always show the last picture captured, but it takes a few seconds for each transfer - I guess that might be normal though.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
if I've been running lightroom backups weekly those backups include all my changes, edits, etc. correct? stupid question but I'm going to uninstall lightroom and I want to make sure the backup can be imported again whenever and I won't lose anything

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

Cross_ posted:

Don't do optical triggers- buy some ebay/dealextreme radio triggers. About the same price and fewer headaches (though depending on your flash some soldering might be required).

Oh well only £3.90! I'll give dealextreme a go, I've not looked at their site before

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Tiny Fistpump posted:

if I've been running lightroom backups weekly those backups include all my changes, edits, etc. correct? stupid question but I'm going to uninstall lightroom and I want to make sure the backup can be imported again whenever and I won't lose anything
The backups and your original catalog can both be used on your new install. Uninstalling LR won't delete your working catalog anyway.

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE
This is most likely a retarded question but my google skills fail me.

When viewing a picture in Photoshop and paint it has nice details and looks ok. But when viewing it in windows photo viewer or uploading it to flickr it looks like some of the colors have disappeared...

Bad left good right but the same thing happened here with this picture.

So... What am I doing wrong? :gbsmith:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

adobe rgb?

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE

evil_bunnY posted:

adobe rgb?

Yes. I believe it is. Is this significant? And what should I use/do?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Heintron posted:

Yes. I believe it is. Is this significant? And what should I use/do?
As far as I know, Adobe RGB isn't supported by any web browsers. Save as sRGB for maximum compatibility.

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE

GWBBQ posted:

As far as I know, Adobe RGB isn't supported by any web browsers. Save as sRGB for maximum compatibility.

Right, sRGB it is. I hope it makes some difference. :downs:

Thank you!

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Cyberbob posted:

I have used it but it's super basic and not really ready for real shoots yet. God help you if it decides it doesn't want the camera to connect because there's not really anything you can do about it except restart LR/reboot and pray it picks it up.

I hope they make some big improvements to it because Capture One needs the competition.

quote:

Being a cheapass, what's a good DIY way to mount a reflector on an umbrella stand ? I.e. something like this but for a stand instead of a tripod.

Grip knuckle.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

The backups and your original catalog can both be used on your new install. Uninstalling LR won't delete your working catalog anyway.

If I just manually delete the working folder it's no problem to import from the backups though, correct?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

What do you mean by working folder?

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

What do you mean by working folder?

If I format the drive will the LR backup, upon import, have all my edited images exactly as they were? I know this is the point of a backup but I want to be sure before I format.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Tiny Fistpump posted:

If I format the drive will the LR backup, upon import, have all my edited images exactly as they were? I know this is the point of a backup but I want to be sure before I format.

All your edits are safely stored in the catalog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005
edit: stupid me