Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4038625

If you don't have one of these, then you deserve every bad thing that comes your way. I was at a party Saturday, there was one of these. Cue pullup contest. I won :regd09:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mookie posted:

Sounds like the same deal as with the law library at most places: nominally "law student gym" but full of loving undergraduates.

Also, my guess is Georgetown.

columbia has a gym that they wanted to replace in the 1970s and some loving students stopped them from doing

it is a windowless pit of dispair

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

billion dollar bitch posted:

In which paradise do law students have their own gym?

Northwestern has a private gym that we've basically taken over because we have discounted memberships.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
ps: If you go to Georgetown, you should play rugby with their law school rugby team. It's good poo poo.

Secret Asian Man
Jun 17, 2006

Direwolf posted:

Northwestern has a private gym that we've basically taken over because we have discounted memberships.

too bad its poo poo

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
This gigantic building is GULC's gym (creepy Thomas the Tank Engine not included):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Draile posted:

This gigantic building is GULC's gym (creepy Thomas the Tank Engine not included):

GULC HAS MOON BOUNCES??? I WENT TO THE WRONG SCHOOL

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Anyone recommend an evidence supplement?

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Who cares about evidence when you can have a moonbounce? Someone recommend me a good moonbounce supplement.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Linguica posted:

deal with it

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

The Wise Teen posted:

Sorry, maybe I'm missing something here, but I thought it was still pretty hard to get a job in JAG? Are you saying everyone who applies and passes the bar is accepted?

I guess my other question there is that I'm like 5'11 and 150 lbs so I'm not exactly able to rip people's windpipes out with my bare hands or whatever, how big an impediment is this?

No, the two are separate. First, you apply to, and get accepted into the JAG program. After you finish law school, you take the bar. If you pass it in two tries, you go into the military as a JAG. I don't know how the Army, Navy or Air Force handles it if you fail twice; since you signed up to be a lawywer that happens to wear a uniform, I expect they'd let you drop the program. In the Marines, you sign up to be a Marine who happens to do (mostly) law; if you fail twice, you start off like every other officer (except for JAs and pilots) and pick/get assigned your occupational specialty during TBS. (Or you could ask to be let out)

5'11", 150# is not an impediment at all (136# is the Marines' minimum weight for 5'11")

RAdm. "Jay" R. Stark posted:

Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because
Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean.
They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've
got really short hair and they always go for the throat.
http://www.grunt.com/scuttlebutt/corps-stories/proud/stark.asp
(find out about Air Force (poodles) Army (St Bernard) and Navy (Golden Retreiver) too!

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

If you don't have one of these, then you deserve every bad thing that comes your way. I was at a party Saturday, there was one of these. Cue pullup contest. I won :regd09:

i bought one of those to fool around with (i'm really only a runner) but it doesn't "stick" to any of the doorways in my apartment

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

Haha, it seems everyone has one of those now. I don't have that exact model, but I do have one.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

U.Va. has North Grounds Gym, which is closest to the law school. A lot of law students go there for exercise since it's near the most popular apartment complex.

People who mean business (and who like to sneak stares at hot women) go to AFC, though.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Southwestern has a gym. Yes, it is lovely.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Lykourgos posted:

I was more thinking, you could re-enroll for a semester to avoid the very real possibility of death, or at least some debiliating disease or irreversible situation. You said you had some unhealing wound and something about your diet being terrible and that you were homeless. You probably aren't mentally impaired, so a semester or more of stability would be worth the debt imo. As for your morals or whatever, you haven't said anything about that before so I don't know what you believe constitutes right and wrong. If you used that semester to get a menial job, then you could pay off that sliver of debt if it's such a burden on your soul.

I've certainly spent a lot of time thinking about this but, while superficially tempting, the problem is in the assumption that even a single semester of Cost of Living loans would be something easily paid off. With a full-time, salaried job? Sure, probably. But between my made-for-law-school Liberal Arts degree and a good 10 months now of constant job-seeking, the best work I've been able to get is part-time warehouse labor which, let me assure you, hardly allows me to buy food, let alone pay off loans. For someone with a full-time job, I can see how a semester of living might constitute only a "sliver" of debt; but given my prospects in this job market?

And believe me: every minute I spend hauling crates and surreptitiously wincing in pain as my scar tissue is perpetually stretched and torn is a minute that I spend thinking about ways to get out of that situation.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Linguica posted:

In light of the fact that USN&WR ratings fails to grade law schools based on moon bounces, I move to establish a new ranking system based on the moon-bounce-to-student ratios of various law schools.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER
someone mentioned the other day that they wanted their kid to go to law school

i said that wasn't a very good idea

he said "what do you know?" and i stared through a crate of floor cleaner

in absentia
Mar 20, 2006
Today in Professional Responsibilities, someone insisted that the code of professional ethics was actually a hindrance to society because it prevents lawyers from breaking the law. His evidence was first that "civil rights used to be illegal so if lawyers cared about laws African Americans wouldn't be able to vote right now." His final trump card after the instructor disagreed was that "if lawyers actually had to follow the law, we'd have never revolted against the British Empire and THERE WOULD BE NO AMERICA."

0Ls: these are your classmates.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

in absentia posted:

Today in Professional Responsibilities, someone insisted that the code of professional ethics was actually a hindrance to society because it prevents lawyers from breaking the law. His evidence was first that "civil rights used to be illegal so if lawyers cared about laws African Americans wouldn't be able to vote right now." His final trump card after the instructor disagreed was that "if lawyers actually had to follow the law, we'd have never revolted against the British Empire and THERE WOULD BE NO AMERICA."

Is this guy a) a stoner or b) a pedophile?

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

in absentia posted:

Were there no state disciplinary committees to disbar people in the 60s?

dividebyzero
Jun 26, 2006

by angerbot

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Georgetown has a hella sweet law student gym

Popping back into this thread just to emphasize this...

dividebyzero
Jun 26, 2006

by angerbot
Although I've yet to see a drat moonbounce here :sigh:

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

in absentia posted:

There was a loving article about that (on Rule 11) I think that the UCLA Law Review published. gently caress legal "scholarship."

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008
I'm just popping in to say that I'm a longtime LawThread lurker (haven't posted in almost a year), but I got an offer from my summer position today.

If there's any possible way for the 4th year of evening program to feel like it's more pointless and dragging than it is right now, I don't know it.

For all the 0/1Ls: I'm a T2 student with solid but not spectacular scores, getting a well-paying job in exactly the field I wanted from the beginning. I'm super-excited, but I still wouldn't do it all over again. Just because I won the lottery doesn't mean I'd recommend blowing all your cash on scratch-offs.

in absentia
Mar 20, 2006

Roger_Mudd posted:

Is this guy a) a stoner or b) a pedophile?

No, I think he is just a standard smug contrarian. He was also arguing that the WI Supreme Court Rules have no business imposing a system of morality on him. I'm looking forward to his MPRE scores.

MaximumBob posted:

Were there no state disciplinary committees to disbar people in the 60s?

There were, but there was also THE COURAGE TO REBEL.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.
Was his name Jason?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

SIHappiness posted:

I'm just popping in to say that I'm a longtime LawThread lurker (haven't posted in almost a year), but I got an offer from my summer position today.

Awesome man congrats. Tomorrow is when I'm suppose to hear back from Callback #1 so hopefully we can keep the good news a'comin.

I'd also like to point out that here at TTT Dentistry School we don't have a moon bounce, but what we do have is a random week off next week where we were suppose to schedule callbacks. I've scheduled myself a girl who calls herself Midnight.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Has anyone mentioned Breaking Bad on AMC and that it spawned this website http://www.bettercallsaul.com/

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

evilweasel posted:

columbia has a gym that they wanted to replace in the 1970s and some loving students stopped them from doing

it is a windowless pit of dispair

every morning i am there at the pit gym. it is literally underground. it is a series of long hallway tubes centering around a single basketball court that is barely ever used. dust bunnies blow across my feet. everything is painted blue LIKE MY PAIN

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

Unamuno posted:

I'm a little late to respond, but I had the legend himself, Jody Kraus, for Contracts 1L year. Awesome, engaging lecturer. I got extremely lucky with my coldcall, as it was about theory/policy/hypothetical questions with fairly straightforward answers instead of the minute details of whatever case we were on. He does a great job guiding people to the "right" answers during coldcalls, and has absolutely no patience for gunners wasting time in his class.

For the essay portion of the exam, he really stressed efficiency and correctness over spewing knowledge. He said he wanted us to use the "James Bond" approach instead of the "Commando" approach. Oh, his was also still the only law exam I've taken with a multiple choice section. It was probably the most difficult multiple choice test I have ever taken in my life, because it seemed like each answer could have been correct; it was only by varying shades of technical correctness (the best kind of correctness) that the choices differed. When some classmates and I got together to go over the practice exam, we literally got into shouting matches over our multiple choice answers. The waitress at Chili's probably thought we were psychos.

Thanks, that's really helpful. I haven't gotten coldcalled yet but a friend of mine had a pretty rough time today when he got called on. Do you still have your notes from 1L?

Also, I don't think that the Columbia gym is that bad but it makes me mad that the crew team gets so much space to itself.

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.
Articles like this make me want to quit my job.

The most impressive part is these guys are still commanding billing rates similar to what their old firms would charge for a senior associate.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
The best part of the article is the admission that big firm lawyers are looking for jobs in the same place you can find work cleaning someone's house naked and peeing on them.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

HLS has a nice gym.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

Petey posted:

HLS has a nice gym.

I believe he specifically said the word paradise.

ewr2870
May 8, 2007

Petey posted:

HLS has a nice gym.

It belongs to the University and is crowded because of of all the drat undergrads.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ewr2870 posted:

It belongs to the University and is crowded because of of all the drat undergrads.

See, the undergrads are a perk at the Columbia gym, the one attractive part of the place.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

evilweasel posted:

See, the undergrads are a perk at the Columbia gym, the one attractive part of the place.

On the other hand, the douchey machine sign-up policy can really gently caress with your day. Attractive undergrads are a decent reason to study in Butler or Avery instead of the godforsaken law library, though.

Edit: Also James Franco no longer studies in Butler 209 so that room is no longer packed with giggling tweens.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Warszawa posted:

On the other hand, the douchey machine sign-up policy can really gently caress with your day. Attractive undergrads are a decent reason to study in Butler or Avery instead of the godforsaken law library, though.

Edit: Also James Franco no longer studies in Butler 209 so that room is no longer packed with giggling tweens.

run on the track like a real man (that loving policy is why I started doing that actually)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

evilweasel posted:

run on the track like a real man (that loving policy is why I started doing that actually)

I just liked the satisfaction of passing people over and over while working on my 50 laps. Ps the signup sheet isnt so bad if you do weights too, just plan to workout for half an hour beforehand.