Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Zenzirouj posted:

Do you have the stethoscope? It's the only way to talk to them and produces some hilarious mental images. And drat, I'm a chump for buying all that animal food.

It hasn't shown up in the bazaar yet. I'm still in my first year since I had to restart. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
^--- You probably haven't bought an item that comes up before it?

Wandering Knitter posted:

Is it me or do animals get stressed if you leave them inside all of the time? It hasn't happened to my cow/sheep, but my chicken does seem to get stressed for no reason even if I keep it fed and pick it up every day.

I always keep my chickens indoors, but in the past few weeks I have noticed odd stress increases. I sometimes wonder if it's because of feeding. I've got more of them now, so maybe some aren't eating with the others and then they get stressed because they eat later in the day? I don't think they're starving, because I get all the eggs the next day...

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Yeah, you have to buy every tool before the next one will appear. I think the stethoscope is last, after that he has either a rubber bone or a cat bell. In winter, a skateboard is added to the rotation (you get a snowboard for free). In year 2, the medium rod is tossed in. I assume the long rod comes in the 3rd year.

Of course, being in year 2, this means I'm less likely to find a goddamn replacement cat bell. Going to buy a bunch next time I see them just to prevent this from happening again.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

The stethoscope is after the bell that gets your animals attention, I remember being pissed at having to buy something that would be useless later.

So I learned a lesson about how strict the bazaar is about that no selling stuff you bought here rule. I had a bajillion eggs saved up to make fried eggs and bought enough oil, dashed home, and came back to find out they wouldn't let me sell them that day because they contained the oil I had bought.

I am really loving the game though, the weekly bazaar really adds to the whole planning aspect of the game.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

SapphireC posted:

The stethoscope is after the bell that gets your animals attention, I remember being pissed at having to buy something that would be useless later.

No, I think it's random after you get the other tools, I got the stethoscope first too.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
It's weird how they made sheep so pointless in this game. Cows and chickens both have a million different things to be done with their products, yet the only thing to do with sheep is to shear them every couple of days and make some wool to sell. I'm glad I only bought one.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Not to mention the retard sheep you get every once in a while that wanders out into the rain and loses an entire heart on top of being sick. I swear to god if sheep weren't cute :argh:

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆

Is it me or do animals get stressed if you leave them inside all of the time? It hasn't happened to my cow/sheep, but my chicken does seem to get stressed for no reason even if I keep it fed and pick it up every day.

Happens to me too! It's really annoying, because I always forget to bring them back in when I take them out, so I just leave them in. And they get sick anyway (the chickens, that is. My cow has never gotten sick and has never been outside).

I'm trying to decide what to do with the big crop of wheat I just milled into flour. I'm going to make recipes with it to sell, but trying to figure out which recipe will give you the best return is a bitch. Some recipes can net you big money, but you also have to put like 5 things into them, so it's hard to know whether it's worth it. Anyone got any sure-fire profitable recipes?

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 14, 2010

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Sheep are meant to be herded, goats are meant to be led.
Sorry just felt like throwing a Discworld reference.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

My cat currently deals with all four of my chickens, at three stars and three hearts. All I have to do is collect eggs and hurl them around.
"It thinks you both get along just fine." :3:

Zenzirouj posted:

the angry cow noise is terrifying.

It seriously is. I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this.

SapphireC posted:

If you ring it and then let your cows come bump into you (or go bump into them) it raises their affection. You can do this once per day.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

e: why did i post twice like a dumbass

Corridor fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 14, 2010

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Corridor posted:

If you ring it and then let your cows come bump into you (or go bump into them) it raises their affection. You can do this once per day.

What? I did not know this! Almost all my cows are giving 4-5 star milk, except for the one I was lazy with and bought full grown. Now I have to add bumping into my animal routine.

I bought a medium rod and now I don't know where to fish for good stuff. I'm trying to woo Amir, so I keep using the short rod just cause I know that I can catch stuff on the cafe's dock to make into fish stew. Anyone know a good medium rod spot?

And now I'm worried about my single sheep retarding out into the rain or something, he hasn't done it yet, but I figure it's an inevitability. Is the suffolk sheep or whatever it's called more worth it?

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Zenzirouj posted:

even though the angry cow noise is terrifying.

Corridor posted:

It seriously is. I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this.

I don't think anyone thinks it isn't creepy, and it's always really similar between games, so you know that it's going to sound like!

On the Sheep Chat, I accidentally left one out one night, and it was the first time I left any of them out, and the little jerk got sick! Do I lose FP if I let one die? I have 2, and I figure when the newer sheep come in, I'll be upgrading. Not having animal sales in this is probably the only major problem I have.

Anyways, I just wanted to say I've completely updated the preservation on my storage, and then skipped a bazaar day. I'm up to 75% on Bazaar and I easily cleared to the 1st position. :D I seriously love this game, it's a bit more involving than usual, and if Twin Village is anything like it, or even if it's different and awesome in it's own way, I can say these are my new favorites!

And it's still another 760 some hours on herb perfume :geno:

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I think the stethoscope isn't entirely useless. Without it, I have no way to fulfill my chicken's social needs. My egg quality seems to have gone up a lot faster once I regularly applied the stethoscope.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Fishylungs posted:

Do I lose FP if I let one die? I have 2, and I figure when the newer sheep come in, I'll be upgrading. Not having animal sales in this is probably the only major problem I have.

I wish I'd remembered the no-animal-sales thing earlier. I got 4 cows so I could get a dog, and when winter comes I'll want Jersey cows and then what the gently caress do I do with all these crap cows. I only need one for recipes.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Ka0 posted:

Sheep are meant to be herded, goats are meant to be led.
Sorry just felt like throwing a Discworld reference.

I miss my Animal Parade goats and ducks when I play DS games. :(

Fishylungs posted:

I don't think anyone thinks it isn't creepy, and it's always really similar between games, so you know that it's going to sound like!

On the Sheep Chat, I accidentally left one out one night, and it was the first time I left any of them out, and the little jerk got sick! Do I lose FP if I let one die? I have 2, and I figure when the newer sheep come in, I'll be upgrading. Not having animal sales in this is probably the only major problem I have.

Anyways, I just wanted to say I've completely updated the preservation on my storage, and then skipped a bazaar day. I'm up to 75% on Bazaar and I easily cleared to the 1st position. :D I seriously love this game, it's a bit more involving than usual, and if Twin Village is anything like it, or even if it's different and awesome in it's own way, I can say these are my new favorites!

And it's still another 760 some hours on herb perfume :geno:

Yes, villagers lose FP if your animals die of sickness, and I think it's like 1000 points. I have a medicine or two in storage a lot of the time, because those little fuckers are prone to getting sick.

And yes herb perfume takes forever. And on lower qualities after several hundred hours of processing you sell it for.. 500g. :argh:

Edit: I don't mind having a mix of cows and jersey cows, since I can just make cheaper recipes with the former and use the jersey milk for the good stuff. But the upgrade sheep makes the old ones completely obsolete unless you have a contest winner.

tudabee fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 14, 2010

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Hey do they die of old age in this? Do they still count as dying of illness and gently caress up your FP like in HMDS?

Dammit I'm gonna be stuck with these loving cows forever aren't I

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Stepping back from the game for a moment, the average natural lifespan of a dairy cow is apparently twenty to twenty-five years. Enjoy your haunting moos.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I checked, and apparently these cows live three years. I blame Raul's fodder.

I doubt I'll be playing long enough to see them die, why can't I just sell the things? :mad:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
So you can experience the loss of an animal. This game teaches children the unsurmountable condition of life and death.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Ka0 posted:

So you can experience the loss of an animal. This game teaches children the unsurmountable condition of life and death.

"Everything dies in 3 years. Except people, and nothing ever really changes."
"Also, you use a LOT of windmills"

Somehow I doubt the educational value this game has to children.

endolithic posted:

And yes herb perfume takes forever. And on lower qualities after several hundred hours of processing you sell it for.. 500g.

Yea, I initially set up 2 single batches and I'm a bit disappointed. I handed one off to Ivan though so it's not a total loss, and he loves that poo poo. Yet I don't know if any girls do, which is... weird. I think I might just hang onto the 10 I'm making now and hand them out. To Ivan, I guess?

And what food can you make with medium fish? Because I just sold about 7 different kinds because I couldn't figure something out.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ka0 posted:

Being one of the few people in the world who have actually played it, I wanted to do a writeup on Shepherd's Crossing 2, but I guess I'm too lazy. But one of the crazy things about that bizarre game is that you butcher your own animals and eat them. One of the first things this weird girl does when you meet her is kill one of your geese it in front of you and cooks it.

What a weird HM-like.

cowbeef
Apr 21, 2010
There has always been something unexplained yet addicting about this game series. I never thought doing farm chores would be so much fun. I played a hell of a lot of HM64 in Junior High when it first came out. I returned to HM64 in 2007 while recovering from a pretty intense surgery with nothing to do but be on pain meds and play video games in my bed.

The music, the utopian village and foraging pull me in. It's no surprise that I love mushroom hunting and insects (thanks in part to playing these games). I haven't touched a recent HM game since Friends of Mineral Town (which felt like a HM64 remake). I tried a bit of Rune Factory but didn't have time to finish it when borrowing it from a friend. Does anyone have a recommendation for a recent HM game? I heard Magic Melody was decent.

Also, my steam avatar has been the harvest moon cow for a long time now.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/cowbeef

*edit*
I just realized I was drinking a Harvest Moon pumpkin ale while making this post. Cheers.
---

Click here for the full 400x632 image.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

cowbeef fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 14, 2010

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Being one of the few people in the world who have actually played it, I wanted to do a writeup on Shepherd's Crossing 2, but I guess I'm too lazy. But one of the crazy things about that bizarre game is that you butcher your own animals and eat them. One of the first things this weird girl does when you meet her is kill one of your geese it in front of you and cooks it.

What a weird HM-like.

I've been meaning to make a whole topic just for Shepherd's Crossing 2, but real life keeps eating up my free time.

It's a great game to bust out when you're inbetween Harvest Moons. I like it because it slightly more realistic. Marriages are arranged, and instead of the plot being "Unlock the magical rainbows to cure the Harvest Goddess!" it's "Have enough food to live through the winter".

gently caress the cooking system, though. It's a pain in the rear end to use and most of the food is side dish only.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆
It's sad that fishing is such a pain in the rear end in this game. Filling the fish book is usually one of my favourite time-wasters. :(

Corridor posted:

Dammit I'm gonna be stuck with these loving cows forever aren't I

Kill them kill them

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

What a weird HM-like.

I haven't even heard of it. And Googling "Shepherd's Crossing 2 review" is surprisingly useless- the first few hits are for gamespot and ign who don't HAVE a review for it. You know someone's done a piss-poor job of marketing when I have to go to GAMEFAQS to read a review.

Edit: Interesting ale... I particularly like the second picture- it's the cutest little picture I've ever seen that makes me think of an Aliens Chestburster. Not that they look anything alike.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 15, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've been meaning to make a whole topic just for Shepherd's Crossing 2, but real life keeps eating up my free time.

It's a great game to bust out when you're inbetween Harvest Moons. I like it because it slightly more realistic. Marriages are arranged, and instead of the plot being "Unlock the magical rainbows to cure the Harvest Goddess!" it's "Have enough food to live through the winter".

gently caress the cooking system, though. It's a pain in the rear end to use and most of the food is side dish only.

I don't know if it's really deserving of its own thread because to be honest it's not really all that good. There's some cool concepts, some really quirky and kinda fun ones (I was laughing pretty hard when I had an gaff with my fence and let all my geese out and was chasing them back and forth trying to get them back in my makeshift pen), and a lot of poorly implemented concepts. And it's just kind of dull after a while. There's nothing to really explore, and the village and villagers are mostly boring. It's an interesting game though, and one that Harvest Moon fans should at least be aware of.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

What a weird HM-like.

I was thinking of writing up a recommendation post/thread too, actually. It's got some problems, but it's still quite fun. The food system REALLY annoys me though. I'm nearly always running on empty for main dishes, while my side dish bin is rarely below 90. Why can't I just eat twice as many side dishes and be done with it? And why is meat nearly always a side dish? I'm pretty sure I could make a dinner out of an entire chicken!

The pacing is a little weird in the game too, because sometimes you'll just skip through weeks in a matter of minutes. I'm 10 years into the game and I've just knitted my first bedcover. I need two to marry Giles, I think, which is going to take another 10 years probably. :(

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ten years in? Man. To be honest, I only got 3 or 4 years in before I put it down. Time certainly goes by faster than in an HM game, but for some reason I don't feel like I'm making as much progress.

Keyboard Fox
Apr 14, 2006

CALM THE HELL DOWN
I really want to like this game, since I like the idea of the bazaar and windmill processing... but it seems like they removed a lot of the elements that are in other HM games. No clearing of your land, no material gathering, no tool exp, no mining (except apparently in winter)...

Is there more stuff that opens up as you get further into the game? (I'm at the start of summer, first year.) If not, I'm probably just going to go back to Rune Factory 2.

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

Keyboard Fox posted:

I really want to like this game, since I like the idea of the bazaar and windmill processing... but it seems like they removed a lot of the elements that are in other HM games. No clearing of your land, no material gathering, no tool exp, no mining (except apparently in winter)...

Is there more stuff that opens up as you get further into the game? (I'm at the start of summer, first year.) If not, I'm probably just going to go back to Rune Factory 2.

If you're not liking it by the end of fall, this game probably isn't for you. I thought GB was boring as hell during the first season, but it got better.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

So you know you can strafe or walk over your crops in Bazaar, but did you also know you can actually run between the columns of crops without hurting them? It makes harvesting large amounts of crops a hell of a lot faster.

Maybe I'm dumb for just realizing this, but I thought it was cool.

Aircraft
Nov 2, 2007

endolithic posted:

So you know you can strafe or walk over your crops in Bazaar, but did you also know you can actually run between the columns of crops without hurting them? It makes harvesting large amounts of crops a hell of a lot faster.

Maybe I'm dumb for just realizing this, but I thought it was cool.

Don't forget that you can jump to cover more area with the watering can/hoe, but make sure you're in those lanes between crops or you'll damage your own crops like a shameful farmer

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

An upgrade or two to the watering can once my first fall hit made me care less about watering technique. Compared to all the other costs in the game, like bazaar expansion, upgrading your watering can two times is incredibly cheap. And the best part is I have an assload of untapped upgrades, judging by the quality rating. I need to spend less on new toys one of these times and build up capital for the really good crops, and lots of them.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Aircraft posted:

Don't forget that you can jump to cover more area with the watering can/hoe, but make sure you're in those lanes between crops or you'll damage your own crops like a shameful farmer

Yeah, the only thing about that is that some of the jump shapes are weird. The fully upgraded can is like a circle with little one square offshoots at the corners, and it doesn't cover a whole field. I find the 1x9 range more useful.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Aircraft posted:

Jump specials actually take way more stamina than normal watering. I only do them if I'm really pressed for time.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆

endolithic posted:

Yeah, the only thing about that is that some of the jump shapes are weird. The fully upgraded can is like a circle with little one square offshoots at the corners, and it doesn't cover a whole field. I find the 1x9 range more useful.

Yeah, the circle is mildly annoying.

Seconding that watering normally in rows is easier and uses much less stamina. I don't think that jumping saves that much time anyway...

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Is there ever a point, maybe after upgrades, where I can water more than one square at a time and have it not be totally pointless?

Because upgrading the watering can was always my first priority in past HMs. Watering squares one by one isn't quite as tedious in GB, but it's still pretty loving tedious since I'm doing it twice every ingame day. And I'm still only using one field for crops at the moment.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆

Corridor posted:

Is there ever a point, maybe after upgrades, where I can water more than one square at a time and have it not be totally pointless?

Because upgrading the watering can was always my first priority in past HMs. Watering squares one by one isn't quite as tedious in GB, but it's still pretty loving tedious since I'm doing it twice every ingame day. And I'm still only using one field for crops at the moment.

What do you mean by pointless?

Okay, sometimes when I'm using a windmill one of the villagers comes and checks whether the windmill parts can be upgraded. He always says that they don't. Does he ever say that they do need upgrading and, if he does, what does the upgrade do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE posted:

What do you mean by pointless?

Uh, well you tell me? You were the one that said:

watering normally in rows is easier and uses much less stamina. I don't think that jumping saves that much time anyway...

quote:

Okay, sometimes when I'm using a windmill one of the villagers comes and checks whether the windmill parts can be upgraded. He always says that they don't. Does he ever say that they do need upgrading and, if he does, what does the upgrade do?

I assumed that was his excuse to come by and have a cutscene about your windmill rank. Although I dunno why they thought that needed a cutscene when none of the other rank-ups do.

• Locked thread