Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice
Wow, why the heck is this thread only a 3? Tons of great information, support, and general positive feeling; the only bad posts I found at all while skimming were from men. If only all threads were as high in quality as this. So here's a random 5 from a random guy randomly browsing ask/tell for your awesome thread, you dames are a real class act and I wish you all beautiful healthy babies.

edit: Bah, of course it ends up at the top of the page :blush:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SafetyDancer
Aug 30, 2003

hop for jesus
Maybe this is the wrong thread for this, but my friend is due any day now and I have yet to get her a gift. It doesn't look like she set up a baby registry, but what is something that would be appreciated? I'm a broke college student and I was thinking about getting a baby shampoo/soap set. But it seems like a gift that is either a) useless or b) redundant. Or maybe something for her, rather than the baby, would work better.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Some of the best things you can do for her don't require money, or not much money. Things like offering to come help with cleaning or cooking when the baby's here, bringing her a decaf iced coffee (or her favorite non-alcoholic drink), etc. When the baby comes, she is going to be so exhausted and completely worn out, and early on you generally end up letting everything non baby go because you focus all of your energy on the baby, so anything you can do to help out will be very appreciated. You can get creative about it if you want and do little IOU coupons, like "IOU one home cooked dinner," "IOU one kitchen cleaning," and so forth.

And for the record this probably would have been better in the preggo thread, but this works just fine too. ;)

vvv Same here, since we don't use any soap or shampoo on Cecilia

Fire In The Disco fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 31, 2010

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006

Therapee posted:

My Pre-Seed came today and they weren't lying. They actually included "baby dust", which is code for a big bag of glitter and confetti moon, stars, and something that just says 'BABY'.

Hell yeah! That's hilarious.

Safety Dancer, ask in the pregnancy thread, you'll get more responses. I say no to the baby shampoo. Oh, unless you know what baby shampoo she likes and maybe you make up a cute little basket yourself. Those gift sets are overpriced and come with stuff I wouldn't use. I actually have an unopened one I got 2 years ago.

SafetyDancer
Aug 30, 2003

hop for jesus
Thanks everyone!

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Therapee posted:

My Pre-Seed came today and they weren't lying. They actually included "baby dust", which is code for a big bag of glitter and confetti moon, stars, and something that just says 'BABY'.

Are you in New Zealand? Cos I know the company that supplies Pre-seed here sends it with baby dust. Or maybe it's just something that everyone does...

Therapee
Jan 20, 2008

slinkimalinki posted:

Are you in New Zealand? Cos I know the company that supplies Pre-seed here sends it with baby dust. Or maybe it's just something that everyone does...

I'm in the U.S. The company I ordered from was called Baby Hopes.

When I pulled it out my husband said "I know where do apply the lube, but where do we apply THAT?"

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I feel so left out, I ordered mine from Amazon and it was baby dust-free!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I got mine from the cheap pregnancy tests site, and it, too, was baby dust free. Therapee, I like your husband's response.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Therapee posted:

I'm in the U.S. The company I ordered from was called Baby Hopes.

When I pulled it out my husband said "I know where do apply the lube, but where do we apply THAT?"
Just for the love of god don't mix it with the lube.

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

There's no place like home.
I don't have a terribly useful update, but my period arrived yesterday and I'm sulking.

That is all.

Therapee
Jan 20, 2008
I'm sorry Dishonesty. :(

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
Aw, dammit :(

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006

dishonesty posted:

I don't have a terribly useful update, but my period arrived yesterday and I'm sulking.

That is all.

:smith:
Mine started today.

I guess I'll order some OPKs.

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

I saw this at the bookshop and thought of you.
I'm being totally irrational about this. My period ended last weekend, and this Saturday i started taking pregnancy tests every morning even though I know it's highly unlikely I'd have enough HGC in my urine even if I was pregnant. Thank god for cheap online test strips!

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
I had my IUI on Friday and woke up with OHSS symptoms today. I had it when I was pregnant with Lucy as well, which is totally not fair because the only risk factor I have is being under 35. :smith:

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

I Wish I Was posted:

I'm being totally irrational about this. My period ended last weekend, and this Saturday i started taking pregnancy tests every morning even though I know it's highly unlikely I'd have enough HGC in my urine even if I was pregnant. Thank god for cheap online test strips!

Oh I did the same a week or so ago. Tested even though I knew it was WAY too early, and kept testing even though I knew I wasn't.

Seconding what you said - thank god for cheap bulk online tests.

The Cunt Pickle
Sep 7, 2010
Hey everyone, this is Therapee. I had a massive hard drive meltdown and I lost my SA password. I would have used recovery, but when my old email went defunct I forgot to change the email attached to my SA and unfortunately Therapee is now dead.

In conception news- I feel like I've been shot with a tranquilizer, weird nausea alternating with starvation, sore boobs, and odd tears. I'm trying not to get my hopes up as this would be ridiculously, unfairly simple and easy. I told myself I wouldn't test until next week when my period is due, but it's hard not to!

Sorry everyone seems to be having issues. If my period starts next week I'll be right there with you in the period sulk boat, even though you guys would probably pitch me overboard for being too pouty and unrealistic.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
Ugh I feel so terrible! I am really miserable with this OHSS. I don't really have anything productive to say, I'm just moaning because this loving sucks.

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

Moms Stuffing posted:

Ugh I feel so terrible! I am really miserable with this OHSS. I don't really have anything productive to say, I'm just moaning because this loving sucks.

internet posted:

Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS) is a complication from some forms of fertility medication. Most cases are mild, but a small proportion is severe.

Symptoms are set into 3 categories: mild, moderate, and severe. Mild symptoms include abdominal bloating and feeling of fullness, nausea, diarrhea, and slight weight gain. Moderate symptoms include excessive weight gain (weight gain of greater than 2 pounds per day), increased abdominal girth, vomiting, diarrhea, darker urine and less in amount, excessive thirst, and skin and/or hair feeling dry (in addition to mild symptoms). Severe symptoms are fullness/bloating above the waist, shortness of breath, urination significantly darker or has ceased, calf and chest pains, marked abdominal bloating or distention, and lower abdominal pains (in addition to mild and moderate symptoms).

Ughhhhhhh, no wonder you're moaning. I hope it eases for you babe :( *hugs*

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

I'm an aunt! My sister-in-law had her son via emergency C-section last night, but both mom and baby are fine. Is it weird to hope that by going down to visit them this weekend, holding the baby will kick my lazy-rear end ovaries into gear and make them start ovulating again?

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
Has anyone ever ovulated while on the pill? And yes, it was taken on time, every day, religiously. We've decided that in recent events from the above happening and an unfortunate miscarriage that we will be hmmm...not preventing and not trying if that makes sense.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!

Bahunter22 posted:

Has anyone ever ovulated while on the pill? And yes, it was taken on time, every day, religiously. We've decided that in recent events from the above happening and an unfortunate miscarriage that we will be hmmm...not preventing and not trying if that makes sense.

Just because you take it on time every day doesn't mean your body will absorb it the same way every day. Sometimes other medications can interfere, or if you have diarrheoa (or anything else affecting digestion/metabolism). It does happen--friends of ours have two ridiculously gorgeous children both conceived while on the pill. Some people stay infertile after months and months of having stopped taking it. Results can vary between different people, and even one person's response to it may be variable depending on health status or any number of factors.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
I can't think of anything that would have changed, no other medications were taken at the time I would have conceived. A friend suggested my brain and my body decided I've waited long enough to have my dream come true and kicked my ovaries into overdrive. No matter the case, I am hoping for a healthy, happy pregnancy fairly soon.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Grapefruit can lessen the effects of birth control too.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
I'm out! I got my period this morning, but I'm not as depressed about it as I thought I would be. I had a feeling deep down that I wasn't pregnant, though my stupid drugs were giving me false pregnancy symptoms and confusing me at the end.

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

Moms Stuffing posted:

I'm out! I got my period this morning, but I'm not as depressed about it as I thought I would be. I had a feeling deep down that I wasn't pregnant, though my stupid drugs were giving me false pregnancy symptoms and confusing me at the end.

I've been having a bunch of nausea the past week, and it's been driving me nuts to keep getting negative tests. It's probably psychosomatic...

The Cunt Pickle
Sep 7, 2010
My period was supposed to start yesterday and it didn't. I keep having these symptoms that MIGHT indicate pregnancy, or they might indicate that I am a hypochondriac, neurotic mess.

Either way, if I haven't seen any red by Thursday it's test day.

I keep getting excited thinking "MAYBE" and then I tell myself not to get to excited because that would be some serious beating the odds to get pregnant so soon. It's an odd game of tug o' war in my heart right now.

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

Excited for you guys. Hope it's a positive test for you both :)

Me, I only just ovulated so I've got a couple of weeks to wait. Boo.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006
I am ovulating, like, NOW. So... too soon to test? :) I had a + OPK yesterday and it was so exciting. I kept giggling.

Dishonesty, I'm really hoping we get pregnant the same month. Our last pregnancies were close and I was really sad when you lost yours.
Mischa and Quinn had the same due date and it was awesome.

Um... sticky baby dust to you all. Whatever that means.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Alterian posted:

Grapefruit can lessen the effects of birth control too.

How much grapefruit do you have to eat for this to actually make a difference?

The Cunt Pickle
Sep 7, 2010
Thanks dishonesty. Right back atcha'.

Wednesday and still no period!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

How much grapefruit do you have to eat for this to actually make a difference?

Not sure! If you google grapefruit and birth control it brings up articles and studies.
http://contraceptivereviewer.com/grapefruit-and-low-dose-birth-control-pills-a-risky-cocktail/

The funny thing is people recommend grapefruit when you're trying to conceive cause it can help you produce more fertile fluid.

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

fishandcandy posted:

I am ovulating, like, NOW. So... too soon to test? :) I had a + OPK yesterday and it was so exciting. I kept giggling.

Dishonesty, I'm really hoping we get pregnant the same month. Our last pregnancies were close and I was really sad when you lost yours.
Mischa and Quinn had the same due date and it was awesome.

Um... sticky baby dust to you all. Whatever that means.

I sure hope so!

Then we just need to get around the 15000km gap between us, for our babies to play.

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

Alterian posted:

Not sure! If you google grapefruit and birth control it brings up articles and studies.
http://contraceptivereviewer.com/grapefruit-and-low-dose-birth-control-pills-a-risky-cocktail/

The funny thing is people recommend grapefruit when you're trying to conceive cause it can help you produce more fertile fluid.

Holy cow, that reminds me! I had to stop eating grapefruit because of a medication I was taking daily, but now that I've stopped taking it to get pregnant, I can eat grapefruit again! It's been so long that I just stopped even considering it at the grocery store.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
Your username is too fitting for this thread.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Moms Stuffing posted:

Your username is too fitting for this thread.

So's yours.

OPK came up good. Trying do decide whether to try to get some productive humping from my partner now, or skip this month.

Anyone else in this thread have a partner who's on antidepressants and who has trouble ejaculating as a result?

The Cunt Pickle
Sep 7, 2010
Boo. Took a test and it was negative. It stung a little because I expected it to be positive because my period is delayed with no signs of coming and my boobs hurt like they're in vices. I would only be about 4 weeks though, so maybe it'll be positive in a week or so. Or my period will come. I would just like one or the other to happen. I just hate being in this limbo.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
It took until I was 5 weeks past ovulation/7 weeks pregnant for me to get a positive, so it's not unheard of. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cunt Pickle
Sep 7, 2010
Thanks for the encouragement. :) I bought a pack of 3 First Response tests and I figure I'll just take one per week until I get a positive or my period shows it's ugly face.

• Locked thread