Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sole.Sushi posted:

If you do the red yellow blue thing, be really careful. Generally, things with the three primary colors on them end up looking silly. Were I in your shoes, I'd do orange and blue; bright enough to get spotted, close enough to red and yellow, and the blue to signify that he was a Deffskull before.
Also, orange and blue look good together if you ask me.

Paging PV to the painting thread wrt: orange+blue. PV to the painting thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

AbdominalSnowman posted:

Cross-posting from the WH40k thread because it got skipped over in the whirlwind of trolling, but does anyone know the fastest place to get Citadel paints from? There is no local place that has them and I would like to get them as soon as possible. I've been looking around online but I have no idea who gets it out quick and who takes a few weeks.

GW itself will generally have stuff out the door within a day of the order clearing. That's always been my experience with their online service, though sometimes the postal service fucks around and takes a bit longer than you might like.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Fyrbrand posted:

Paging PV to the painting thread wrt: orange+blue. PV to the painting thread.

:pcgaming: :catdrugs: :slick: :whatup:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

PaintVagrant posted:

:pcgaming: :catdrugs: :slick: :whatup:

... I'm missing something here. :confused:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Fyrbrand makes fun of me for painting everything orange and blue, hahaha

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Oooh.

Well, they do look good together. :shobon:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

post your orange and blue stuff itt now bitches

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!

Sab669 posted:

Pretty new to painting, this is my 9th model really. Just completed the Rasputina box set [except for Rasputina herself], pretty drat proud of how my golem came out

I have never been able to blend colors, so I was quite pleased with how this came out. And of course, now that I did do it to a level that I'm totally pleased with, I wish I did him in red!!

I'm also painting up a Rasputina box, along with some extra models. The final count until the new Rising Power's model's for her come out is:

Rasputina
3 x Ice Gamin
Ice Golem
December Acolyte
2 x Hoarcat pride
Wendigo
Essence of Power

I've finished the 2 totems, and the Ice Gamin so far.

Essence of Power

I'm not very confident in doing a whole bunch of flesh, with most models I can get away with the faces/hands by a basecoat of elf flesh, then flesh wash. This took a bit of extra thinking and was kinda new to me, but I'm happy with my first attempt at a mostly fleshy model. (Also not confident with flames and gems, so what a model to work on)

Ice Gamin

Wendigo

Other models will hopefully be done by the weekend.

Also did 2 more guardsmen to work on my scheme for the new guard army

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

pw pw pw posted:

1) Paint him yellow to fit in with the meganobz he's usually going to be hanging out with. The squad would look coherent, and I would shed a single fluffy tear.

2) Paint him blue because he's a deff skull, lead a yellow mob around. He'll stand out a lot, but because he'll significantly darker. (my shade of blue is very deep.)

Paint him green. :colbert:

EDIT: Word on the street is that green is best. :orks:

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

PaintVagrant posted:

Closest thing I got...

:hist101:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Orange, blue, and a respirator mask. :allears:

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

pw pw pw posted:

1) Paint him yellow to fit in with the meganobz he's usually going to be hanging out with. The squad would look coherent, and I would shed a single fluffy tear.

If you are going to paint him yellow see if you can snag a copy of WD351, there is a painting masterclass for a bad moons boss.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Here's another crack at it, I'm not good at this whole photography thing :ohdear:

Click here for the full 1000x600 image.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Hamshot posted:

Here's another crack at it, I'm not good at this whole photography thing :ohdear:

Click here for the full 1000x600 image.

Pictures can be tricky, but after giving it a close look, I had an idea: those blades look sweet as hell. Ever think of replicating the effect on those brass horn caps? I mean the blades look like awesome NMM blends already, and I don't think it would be too difficult to put a bag over the model and stick the horn tips through.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Sole.Sushi posted:

Pictures can be tricky, but after giving it a close look, I had an idea: those blades look sweet as hell. Ever think of replicating the effect on those brass horn caps? I mean the blades look like awesome NMM blends already, and I don't think it would be too difficult to put a bag over the model and stick the horn tips through.

Doing it around a horn is a completely different beast for me, one I doubt I'd be able to pull off at all. The two most prominent bloodletters featuring the horn-caps have ridges I might be able to do it with, but there are a few in the mob with completely smooth caps, and if I did some I would feel agony over not doing the others.

e: would you look at that, all of the bloodletters with horn caps are in the very front row. How the hell did that happen? :tinfoil:

Also, does anyone have any advice with making greenstuff scales? I brought some Chaos Warhounds to run alongside some Khorne Fleshounds, so I want to add scales to the former and fur to the latter to make them all look similar.

Hamshot fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Sep 14, 2010

Beffah
Jul 8, 2010

PaintVagrant posted:

My oathed Baneblade might very well be blue and orange, just because I'm tired of green.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

PaintVagrant posted:

I used dark blue to shade the white :colbert:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Hamshot posted:

Doing it around a horn is a completely different beast for me, one I doubt I'd be able to pull off at all. The two most prominent bloodletters featuring the horn-caps have ridges I might be able to do it with, but there are a few in the mob with completely smooth caps, and if I did some I would feel agony over not doing the others.

Well, really, you just want to put the lighter colors on over the whole of the cap, working from white at the tip. Once you have the whole cap shaded down, flip the whole thing over and spray in the darker colors on the underside only. Test it out on some rounded-down sprue or maybe a spare head or horn first. If you like it, and you think you can do it, go for it. You seem to have the grasp of using the airbrush already, I'm pretty sure you can make it look good.

Hamshot posted:

Also, does anyone have any advice with making greenstuff scales? I brought some Chaos Warhounds to run alongside some Khorne Fleshounds, so I want to add scales to the former and fur to the latter to make them all look similar.

Oddly, I did a photo tutorial on this exact subject in this thread. Just check my thread post history.
EDIT: did one for fur as well.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Sole.Sushi posted:

Well, really, you just want to put the lighter colors on over the whole of the cap, working from white at the tip. Once you have the whole cap shaded down, flip the whole thing over and spray in the darker colors on the underside only. Test it out on some rounded-down sprue or maybe a spare head or horn first. If you like it, and you think you can do it, go for it. You seem to have the grasp of using the airbrush already, I'm pretty sure you can make it look good.

Oddly, I did a photo tutorial on this exact subject in this thread. Just check my thread post history.
EDIT: did one for fur as well.

Holy poo poo it was you with the ploearms on the bloodcrushers, I was looking all over for those when I started this army after only half-remembering them. Which kits did you source those from? I'm mostly ignorant of fantasy.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Hamshot posted:

Holy poo poo it was you with the ploearms on the bloodcrushers, I was looking all over for those when I started this army after only half-remembering them. Which kits did you source those from? I'm mostly ignorant of fantasy.

Haha, yeah. The polearms are from the Chaos Knights boxed set; lucky for you, most people equip them with those hand weapons instead, so if you know a Warriors of Chaos player, you might be able to snag them out of their bitz box.
Since the advent of plastic bloodcrushers, getting them on will be far, far easier to accomplish.
You may also want to check !amicable's take on the conversion; he used the whole front part of the arm (gauntlet grabbing on the spear) instead of just the spear itself.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Well bought some P3 paints. I am using Cygnar Blue Base as a base coat for the metal landspeeder I am painting up as Ultramarine. I am impressed by the coverage, 3-4 coats of watered down paint will give a nice smooth base. Its going to be blue with some nice gold trim, going to try and paint some freehand designs on there as well, not sure what though.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

Well bought some P3 paints. I am using Cygnar Blue Base as a base coat for the metal landspeeder I am painting up as Ultramarine. I am impressed by the coverage, 3-4 coats of watered down paint will give a nice smooth base. Its going to be blue with some nice gold trim, going to try and paint some freehand designs on there as well, not sure what though.

The Hydra for Alpha Legion. :black101:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Since the topic is on orange and blue now, I figure this is the perfect time to ask this. My girlfriend is painting my AOBR Orcs and she decided to do the skin in ice blue so they'd be different. Plus, pink just looked lovely. What colors do you think she should do the armor in to really make it pop? Would orange be good or will that just be too drat bright? I've been considering a dark green.

They look like the dude on the right.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Sorry to break up the blue and orange talk, but I'm working on some Imperial Fists for a commission. My Army Painter spray came out fuzzy, which bothers me, but I still did a test fig:

Drilled barrel and eye lens detail:

I noticed a few bits that need some patching up (Shoulder trim mostly) but otherwise this is pretty much how the average Marine will look. Anything else I should do to make this guy look better without adding too much more effort per man?

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

SRM posted:

I noticed a few bits that need some patching up (Shoulder trim mostly) but otherwise this is pretty much how the average Marine will look. Anything else I should do to make this guy look better without adding too much more effort per man?

You could either drybrush or handline around the kneepads, the plates on the boots, etc. so that there is more separation and depth to those areas. Shouldn't take more than 3-5 minutes and will make the model have more pop.

It's a really good job though, the layering is well done.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Cool, thanks :)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Ok, I could use some guidance on color schemes. I've decided to stick with bone, turquoise, purple and gold as my Craftworld colors. Which is fine. The issue I am facing now is who to deal with the Aspect Warriors. Traditionally, Aspects conform to a particular scheme (or range of schemes), but I would like my army to be pretty coherent - if I was playing against another Eldar player, for instance, I'd want it to be clear whose Aspects are whose. The other issue is that trying to use all the different aspect colors can get pretty clashy and 'taste the rainbow'.

So I would like to try and use my basic colors on different Aspects, while still making them relatively distinct - some of that is obviously accomplished through the miniatures, but also by varying amounts and placement of the colors.

I tried to cook up some idea of what I mean using an interactive color painter, but unfortunately the only palette is for Guardians. Oh well. One and Two are options for Fire Dragons (currently leaning toward 1), Three is for the Banshees, and Four is for Scorpions. Obviously these are going to look different on the real models (and I am working on test guys now) but I thought I would run this by you guys in case anyone had any insight or advice for doing this.

Click here for the full 352x613 image.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
^^^^
The way I'm doing it to give my aspects their aspect colors and throw in my craftworld colors is to find a unique spot on the unit and make sure it has the aspect colors. For the Striking Scorpions for example, I'll be painting them mainly black (Craftworld Color) but the raised triangles on their armor is going to be painted to scorpion green color. It'll give them the aspect color as well as tying into my army.

And I think the second option will look better for the dragons. Banshees look good to. I don't like how much teal you have on the Striking Scorpion colors though. They'll look like swooping hawks without wings.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I like Option 2, personally.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

1 for Fire Dragons, 2 for Scorpions, 3 for Banshees. 4 just stands out from the others so much and I honestly think the aspect sculpts are going to be enough to differentiate the models.

Aspects done in craftworld colors rule.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

AnUninvitedGuest posted:

Since the topic is on orange and blue now, I figure this is the perfect time to ask this. My girlfriend is painting my AOBR Orcs and she decided to do the skin in ice blue so they'd be different. Plus, pink just looked lovely. What colors do you think she should do the armor in to really make it pop?

I vaguely remember something about the Bad Moons painting themselves blue for luck - if you went with a blue face, (mostly) yellow armor, and greenskin everywhere else that could look good and still remain within 40k canon.

And it's not all happy stops on the orange blue train.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

moths posted:

PV does custom action figures!

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

AnUninvitedGuest posted:

Since the topic is on orange and blue now, I figure this is the perfect time to ask this. My girlfriend is painting my AOBR Orcs and she decided to do the skin in ice blue so they'd be different. Plus, pink just looked lovely. What colors do you think she should do the armor in to really make it pop? Would orange be good or will that just be too drat bright? I've been considering a dark green.

They look like the dude on the right.

yknow for all the fuckin power rangers I saw as a kid, I don't know that guy's name

e: or anyone's name besides Goldar, Goldar owned

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I had that guy!

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

uncle jimbo posted:

yknow for all the fuckin power rangers I saw as a kid, I don't know that guy's name

e: or anyone's name besides Goldar, Goldar owned

Really? You don't remember the dumb name of Rita?

Lord Zed was cool but then I was done with it after that. They still have spinoffs that last a season or two don't they?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

NecronSchmecron posted:

They still have spinoffs that last a season or two don't they?

Nope. Disney stopped this year, and has mangled the original season into a horrible mess to fill the time slot.

They usually adapt the shows from Japan, but last year's series had samurai with kanji on their masks and origami mecha. That's way too Japanese for kids here, I guess. (It was a good show, though. Something about dudes painting kanji in the air and making horses and sportscars appear was too cool.)

We'll see if they bother adapting this year's show about angels.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

NecronSchmecron posted:

Really? You don't remember the dumb name of Rita?

no he's talking about the big retarded blue dude.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

pw pw pw posted:

no he's talking about the big retarded blue dude.

He said he didn't remember anyone besides Goldar. But he is right, who gives a gently caress, Goldar was the best.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Finished painting my first unit of 10 Seaguard from the Island of Blood set today. Only took about two weeks of a few hours a day 2-3 days a week painting. Still, for a complete novice, I think they look rather nice, especially at tabletop distance, so whatever! Camera flash brightened the colors slightly.

The Seaguard are a bit lacking in color uniformity because I was still experimenting with how I wanted to do things. For the rest of them I'll be reducing the number of blues and greens in the unit down a bit. Hopefully that'll speed up painting time for the rest of them.

They hardly compare to the slightly unfinished Swordmasters my friend painted, the Champion is what he used to win our FLGS' painting competition during the IoB event. Still, he's been painting minis for several years, so thats hardly surprising. I'm not entirely looking forward to trying to replicate the scheme for the rest of my sword masters though (I have 3 sets worth of IoB Seaguard, Swordmasters, and Reavers).

Eventually I'll probably pry everything off their bases (my friend assembled the minis and glued them in) and try basing them, but for now I'll worry about getting everything else painted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

moths posted:

I vaguely remember something about the Bad Moons painting themselves blue for luck - if you went with a blue face, (mostly) yellow armor, and greenskin everywhere else that could look good and still remain within 40k canon.

I like your reasoning, yellow and blue work well together, but it's dethskullz that paint themselves blue :v:

• Locked thread